PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now? Myles White edition

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I am a bit fascinated by this guy. He looked so good in preseason, now according to this non-update update, he didn't even make a practice squad.
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/09/09/green-bay-packers-talking-myles-white-practice-squad/

I don't want to hear any "I told you so" talk. Nobody foresaw this guy falling off the NFL wagon.

Well, he is available, for the moment anyway, for the Packers to resign. But now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the guy.

pbmax
09-09-2015, 01:31 PM
He's working as the center field foul pole in Miller Park.

hoosier
09-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Where is Myles White, you ask? Hanging out with Cody Mandell!

Fritz
09-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I am a bit fascinated by this guy. He looked so good in preseason, now according to this non-update update, he didn't even make a practice squad.
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/09/09/green-bay-packers-talking-myles-white-practice-squad/

I don't want to hear any "I told you so" talk. Nobody foresaw this guy falling off the NFL wagon.

Well, he is available, for the moment anyway, for the Packers to resign. But now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the guy.

Let me channel some of our more skeptical posters and say that the fact Myles White can't even make someone else's practice squad shows that Ted doesn't know anything about constructing depth at a position.

3irty1
09-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I think most other teams already have their version of Myles White sitting in their practice squad. That dime-a-dozen guy who doesn't suck at anything but isn't great at anything either and his best quality is that he's experienced in your offense.

sharpe1027
09-09-2015, 02:10 PM
He was a notch above the magician, but mainly because Abby had not made the field in two years. Before Jordy had a knee, many thought White was a long shot. Now that JJ is back, he's pretty much in the same boat.

I would guess he didn't make the practice squad because he's at his ceiling in what he is going to bring, and it is a 5th or 6th WR ability. I was surprised he made the practice squad last year for the same reason.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2015, 02:40 PM
I think most other teams already have their version of Myles White sitting in their practice squad. That dime-a-dozen guy who doesn't suck at anything but isn't great at anything either and his best quality is that he's experienced in your offense.

I could see the Packers bringing him back if Cobb or Montgomery went down (and before Abbrederis gets back into playing shape). He's a fringe player. He's fast and has worked hard, but there is one glaring weakness that makes him a fringe player. He struggles beating press coverage. The other thing that always bugged me about White is his body language when something went wrong. I always felt like he lacks confidence.

Smidgeon
09-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I could see the Packers bringing him back if Cobb or Montgomery went down (and before Abbrederis gets back into playing shape). He's a fringe player. He's fast and has worked hard, but there is one glaring weakness that makes him a fringe player. He struggles beating press coverage. The other thing that always bugged me about White is his body language when something went wrong. I always felt like he lacks confidence.

I honestly don't get the Abby love. Sure, he's flashed in offseason work, but White has shown way more than him in both preseason and regular season (admittedly, that's not much). Until Abby both stays healthy and shows he can play in the NFL, he's just another Kevin Dorsey.

Tony Oday
09-09-2015, 04:15 PM
I honestly don't get the Abby love. Sure, he's flashed in offseason work, but White has shown way more than him in both preseason and regular season (admittedly, that's not much). Until Abby both stays healthy and shows he can play in the NFL, he's just another Kevin Dorsey.

And White is another Taco Wallace.

sharpe1027
09-09-2015, 04:18 PM

I think because not playing much cuts both ways. Until Abby he fails on the field he's still potentially a solid player. White may have shown more, but he's also shown his weaknesses and limitations. We can say with much more certainty that White will not be much more than a fringe player.

Brandon494
09-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Hes white and played for the Badgers...whats not to get? :-):-)

Honestly if he wasnt so injury prone I'd like him more but dude is not going to be able to last in this league. With everything we know on concussions I would think the next one he gets would make him think about walking away from the game. Chris Boland stepping away from the game had to open some eyes up, took a lot of balls to do that.

Brandon494
09-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Speaking of practice squad players wish we still have Charles Johnson. :sad:

mraynrand
09-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Hes white and played for the Badgers...whats not to get? :-):-)

and right on cue...

pbmax
09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Speaking of practice squad players wish we still have Charles Johnson. :sad:

We have to agree to stop discussing him. I need to move on.

And Dr. McKenzie needs an action plan for improvement.

pbmax
09-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Magic has hands softer than a baby's bottom. Far more useful too. Good with routes but also at getting open. Catches with hands not body. Fantastically natural punt returner.

But he might not be physically up to being beaten up by football on a weekly basis. If it was anything other than his head, he might learn to accommodate. But I don't think you can learn to not get concussed once it starts.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2015, 07:48 PM
This is a little insensitive to the dearly departed, Myles, but the fact that nobody wants him makes the signing of JJ feel a little warmer and fuzzier. It seems that the roster has been upgraded, and the Packers got an effective extra roster spot - Myles waiting anxiously by his phone for TT's call.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2015, 08:13 PM
There's little upside to White's game. Abby may show the same limited upside, but we don't know what we have in him yet. I'm guessing TT could care less what color skin Abby and White have. White was signed to the Giants practice squad.

Guiness
09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Packers signing Jones and White ending up on the Giants ps is a pretty good illustration of the 'one man's trash is another man's treasure.' idiom!

run pMc
09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I was under the impression White did not want to spend another year on the PS...he's already been on it twice, and unlike Abby has played in a regular season game AND stayed healthy. If he was good enough to make the 53 for GB, I'd be surprised if he was on the street all season.
All that said, I'd take JJ over White for a season, especially with the depth they have going forward.

run pMc
09-09-2015, 08:51 PM
There's little upside to White's game. Abby may show the same limited upside, but we don't know what we have in him yet. I'm guessing TT could care less what color skin Abby and White have. White was signed to the Giants practice squad.

D'oh! Missed this part...and disproved my own take. :)

Bretsky
09-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Abby is more talented, a better route runner, and has natural hands for special teams. But he has not played a game in two years and has only been to about 8 practices so it's hard to expect much

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2015, 10:14 PM
http://www.doorcountydailynews.com/sports/details.cfm?clientid=28&id=188584#.VfD0vxFViko

What a great story! White even gets jersey #89. Jones and White will be followed and compared to see who got the better of this shuffle.

Will be interesting to see if Abby proves to be an upgrade over White as well.

Pugger
09-10-2015, 08:16 AM
White signed with the Gmen's PS? Good for him.

Pugger
09-10-2015, 08:19 AM
http://www.doorcountydailynews.com/sports/details.cfm?clientid=28&id=188584#.VfD0vxFViko

What a great story! White even gets jersey #89. Jones and White will be followed and compared to see who got the better of this shuffle.

Will be interesting to see if Abby proves to be an upgrade over White as well.

White wanted Ted to give him active duty pay on the PS? No wonder we let him go.

Fritz
09-10-2015, 01:01 PM
In the nicest way possible, Ted is saying, "Dude, you're not that good."

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2015, 02:07 PM
We'll see in next couple years if White deserves a roster spot. He did beat-out a lot of players to get on GB's roster, initially. I really don't know how good he is.

Zool
09-10-2015, 03:34 PM
I can't remember the game, but I'll never forget the play. White caught an out, tried to cut upfield and was absolutely rag dolled by a linebacker. Guy made White look like he weighed 97 pounds. He might flash occasionally, but he's really going to be punished by safeties. He plays soft. See the post that got picked in the Saints game. Alligator armed the shit out of that pass.

Smidgeon
09-10-2015, 04:21 PM
I can't remember the game, but I'll never forget the play. White caught an out, tried to cut upfield and was absolutely rag dolled by a linebacker. Guy made White look like he weighed 97 pounds. He might flash occasionally, but he's really going to be punished by safeties. He plays soft. See the post that got picked in the Saints game. Alligator armed the shit out of that pass.

That would have been two years ago when Cobb was injured. White was quick as lightning, but got manhandled like a rag doll.

Maxie the Taxi
09-10-2015, 04:31 PM
We'll see in next couple years if White deserves a roster spot. He did beat-out a lot of players to get on GB's roster, initially. I really don't know how good he is.

It's a good possibility that he's probably good, improbable as that possibility may seem.

pbmax
09-10-2015, 05:10 PM
He's no Charles Johnson.

And as a fall guy, he's no Charles Jordan.

Brandon494
09-10-2015, 06:27 PM

Thats true because hes now cut White and Blackmon. :rs:

Bossman641
09-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Of all the practice squad guys we have worried over losing (gurley, johnson, dorsey), white is probably one of the worst. Translation - he sucks

SkinBasket
09-11-2015, 04:31 AM
Thats true because hes now cut White and Blackmon. :rs:

This is the kind of sense of humor one develops from watching a lifetime of Tyler Perry.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2015, 03:53 PM
It's a good possibility that he's probably good, improbable as that possibility may seem.

You realize if this were the real world, we'd be having a man-to-man talk outside of the Supper Club. "Knock it off, Four Eyes", I'd say. I don't much cotton to your sourcasm, pal.

mraynrand
09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
This is the kind of sense of humor one develops from watching a lifetime of Tyler Perry.

say what?
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2551395974/j9wp7ewiox4sronmy3oj_400x400.png