View Full Version : More Banjo: Week1 @ Bears

pbmax
09-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Competent Special Teams are SO boring.

Anyone complaining?

pbmax
09-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 21m21 minutes ago
Rodgers: 18/23, 189 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 140.5 rating.

Cutler: 14/30, 168 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 50.4 rating.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 25m25 minutes ago
James Jones has been masterful at keeping his body between the ball and defenders. Masterful. #Packers

pbmax
09-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy: Good way to start the season. Coming down to Chicago always a huge challenge...Lot of good things to build off of. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy: Taking the ball away in the 2nd half was going to be a deciding factor. Clay (Matthews) came up with a huge play. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 18m18 minutes ago
McCarthy: James (Jones) looks like he never left. Aaron & JJ have a connection as far as timing. Not surprised at all. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 16m16 minutes ago
McCarthy on Lacy's 1-handed catch: It wasn't practiced that way, I can assure you that...excellent play by Eddie. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy: It's good to be 1-0. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 12m12 minutes ago
McCarthy on Matthews INT: I thought he was gonna score. He keeps cutting back like that we're going to have to get him on offense. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 10m10 minutes ago
That's all from Coach McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers' press conference coming up next. #GBvsCHI

pbmax
09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
Rodgers: We maximized our possessions today, which was important. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
Rodgers on James Jones: I don't think it was that out of character for him. He made a lot of plays. Had no hesitation going to him.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 16s17 seconds ago
Rodgers on change in play-calling: Didn't really feel a lot different. We were on the same page the entire time. Had a good plan.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 30s30 seconds ago
Rodgers: It was good to get our first win. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 4m4 minutes ago
Rodgers on Clay Matthews: He's a big-time player. Very versatile, obviously. #GBvsCHI

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
Rodgers: It's always fun winning against the Bears. division rivals. We're 1 win away from tying the (all-time) series. #GBvsCHI

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Anybody think the run defense was significantly affected by Burnett not being in there?

pbmax
09-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Anybody think the run defense was significantly affected by Burnett not being in there?

He probably takes away a couple of those bad Ha-Ha tackle attempts. I am also encouraged that it improved in the second half. Even Neal started to hold an edge.

Also affecting it is something Peppers mentioned in his McGinn writeup. Sometimes the DE/OLB is not contain on a play. Sometimes its the DB or the ILB flowing outside. Both Palmer and Barrington struggled getting outside.

But Palmer should be the dime linebacker from now until his gets Packer hamstring.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Doubtful. Hyde is a decent tackler. Mostly it was those 5-10 yard gains through creases in front 7.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 18m18 minutes ago
New from JS: With Jones' help, Cobb makes it through the opener http://ift.tt/1iHxgtu #Packers

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
New from JS: Crucial interception by Matthews leaves teammates in awe http://ift.tt/1iHxf90 #Packers

Mark Potash ‏@MarkPotash
Matt Forte: "The mentality of this offense, which I'm proud of, is nobody had that stupid look on their face [when down 31-16] like before."

Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 34m34 minutes ago
On the @dpshow Monday...@packers LB Clay Matthews.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Datone Jones ‏@IAM_Dat_One 2h2 hours ago
Great team win bros. Now on to the next one. Let's set it off pack nation. #GoPackGo

Damarious Randall ‏@RandallTime 2h2 hours ago
1-0 time to head back to the lab...

TJ Lang ‏@TJLang70 52m52 minutes ago
1-0 #GoPackGo

Chris Banjo ‏@Chris1Banjo 2h2 hours ago
On to the next!! 1-0 ;-);-);-) #GoPackGo #ItsAGThing

Jayrone Elliott ‏@Jay_Elliott15 1h1 hour ago
Great team win... It's never easy winning! #GreenGang #PackNation #GoRockets

Micah Hyde ‏@micah_hyde 1h1 hour ago
What a big rivalry weekend! #GoPackGo #GoHawkeyes

Michael Neal ‏@mneal96 1h1 hour ago
Team win, healthy victory. Can't ask for more. #Blessed #GoPackGo

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 18m18 minutes ago
New from JS: With Jones' help, Cobb makes it through the opener http://ift.tt/1iHxgtu #Packers

Ya, but did he re-aggravate the shoulder.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Ya, but did he re-aggravate the shoulder.

Where did you read that?

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Where did you read that?

I'm my own newsmaker. Cobb's shoulder was hanging after one hit.

denverYooper
09-13-2015, 07:18 PM
There were a number of possible screwball factors in this game -- week 1, division rival, in Chicago. The first few weeks are always a little squirrelly and bad stuff can always happen in Chicago. As it was, the Packers overcame a bunch of stupid penalties and rode out the game to win.

I'll take that to open the season.

Now, if they don't lay a real ass kicking on Seattle next week I'll be disappointed. The rent is due for those motherfuckers.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 07:27 PM
There were a number of possible screwball factors in this game -- week 1, division rival, in Chicago. The first few weeks are always a little squirrelly and bad stuff can always happen in Chicago. As it was, the Packers overcame a bunch of stupid penalties and rode out the game to win.

I'll take that to open the season.

Now, if they don't lay a real ass kicking on Seattle next week I'll be disappointed. The rent is due for those motherfuckers.

The starters play so little together in the preseason games now that anything can happen in Week 1. Bottom line though is that a division win on the road is the best possible kind of win. It's a win, it's a road win, it's a division win and it's a conference win. It's tie-breaker heaven.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 08:12 PM
As usual, Rodgers with the photobomb.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO0i3iHUkAAR4wY.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Doubtful. Hyde is a decent tackler. Mostly it was those 5-10 yard gains through creases in front 7.

The DL seemed stout enough, especially considering they were missing two guys, but the tackling and angles by the LBs and secondary was terrible. I'd say this was a game where the back 7 was the bigger factor in the run defense.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 08:35 PM
The DL seemed stout enough, especially considering they were missing two guys, but the tackling and angles by the LBs and secondary was terrible. I'd say this was a game where the back 7 was the bigger factor in the run defense.

That's kind of what I thought. Seemed like Forte had seams to run through that should have been filled but weren't. With Barrington and Burnett out, I wonder if some guys just weren't getting lined up quite right.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Yes. It probably didn't help to not have Guion in there either.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Nelson or Fangio? Who makes this happen to Rodgers?

On Sunday, Rodgers was again masterful against the Packers’ longtime rivals, completing 18 of 23 passes for an efficient 189 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions, no sacks and a passer rating of 140.5.

That is a great stat line for all but four other QBs in the League. But its odd for Rodgers to have that low a yardage total. 49ers used to do that to him with fabulous secondary play, but was this more Nelson related than Vic Fangio?

Stat line from Wilde @espnwiscosnin : http://www.espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

ThunderDan
09-13-2015, 09:31 PM
I think it might be a Tom Clement issue. It seemed like we ran a more traditional west coast offense than the last few years. It seemed like MM liked to go more vertical with the west coast.

Maybe it is Nelson out that is making the O adjust.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 10:08 PM
I think it might be a Tom Clement issue. It seemed like we ran a more traditional west coast offense than the last few years. It seemed like MM liked to go more vertical with the west coast.

Maybe it is Nelson out that is making the O adjust.

Could be. There were a lot of shorter throws, but its always tough to tell what is progression versus what is the play called #1 option. Was good to see the TE get some run.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Also, where did the RB screen game go.

Despite that STUD: Asst O Line Coach

Mike Solari for bringing in the extra Tackle (Walker) as TE, as the 49ers and Patriots do. Also what Mike Sherman used to do with U71. Mike Sherman's offense, combination of some college and pro stuff, was ahead of its time.

pbmax
09-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m8 minutes ago
New from JS: Cobb: "I didn't have any setbacks after the game" http://ift.tt/1ORQgQi #Packers

Patler
09-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Nelson or Fangio? Who makes this happen to Rodgers?

On Sunday, Rodgers was again masterful against the Packers’ longtime rivals, completing 18 of 23 passes for an efficient 189 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions, no sacks and a passer rating of 140.5.

That is a great stat line for all but four other QBs in the League. But its odd for Rodgers to have that low a yardage total. 49ers used to do that to him with fabulous secondary play, but was this more Nelson related than Vic Fangio?

Stat line from Wilde @espnwiscosnin : http://www.espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

Blame it on Montgomery, Mathews and the defense. Because of the defense letting Chicago grind out yardage on the ground and consequently eat up the clock, Rodgers had only 3 meaningful possessions in the first half and only four in the second half. That's not a lot of opportunities. Thanks to Montgomery and Matthews, three of those possessions started at the 39, 41 and 48. Their four TD drives covered a total of 266 yards, and Chicago kicked in 39 yards via penalty in one of them. Four TD drives needing just 227 yards by the offense.

There just weren't very many opportunities given to him and not many yards available to be gained.

pbmax
09-14-2015, 09:32 PM
I can understand 189 yards and 3 TD s with turnovers and short fields.

But 23 attempts to get there. Was like watching someone else's offense.

EDIT: I take it back, 8.2 YPA matches his career average.

King Friday
09-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Rodgers himself was to blame for the low passing yardage...he ran the ball 6 times after dropping back to pass. That swings the run/pass ratio from 24/29 over to 30/23...and based on the career average pbmax just pulled up, it cost Rodgers 50 yards passing. That doesn't account for the lateral to Rodgers either, which is a pass that wasn't a pass.

Until Cobb gets healthy, our offense probably will be more reliant on the run than usual. When they say that Cobb can't run certain routes in order to protect his shoulder, it limits what the Packers can do through the air at this point.

King Friday
09-14-2015, 10:13 PM
And I'm going to complain about special teams simply because I have to see Ron Zook every week looking like he's about to pass a 5 pound kidney stone.

I will not complain about Montgomery...it's about damn time we invested in a capable return man.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Few of my pet theories about the game are panning out.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 7h7 hours ago
Who threw the shortest passes (air yards per throw) in Week 1?
Philip Rivers - 3.74
Tony Romo - 3.83
Russell Wilson - 4.07

ThunderDan
09-15-2015, 09:26 AM
I listened to part of the Packer radio show with TJ Lang last night. He said Chicago played a lot of two deep safeties to make sure that GB didn't hit the Home Run ball on them.

mraynrand
09-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I listened to part of the Packer radio show with TJ Lang last night. He said Chicago played a lot of two deep safeties to make sure that GB didn't hit the Home Run ball on them.

What a shock. Nobody does that against the Packers.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 3m3 minutes ago
yep Raji did his job. RT @AaronNagler: The Packers defense was fine against interior runs. It was the outside zone stuff that murdered them.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:34 AM
What a shock. Nobody does that against the Packers.

The NFL is weird. That is Lovie's defense too and early he gave Rodgers fits. That defense aged and Rodgers torched it. Now Fangio swaps out corners and one OLB and put up decent resistance.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:37 AM
This one is for mmmdi

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 13m13 minutes ago
A #Packers #touchdown sounds great in every language. Hear James Jones' 1st score in Danish: http://pack.rs/3pa9c

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO81unaUAAAH3VK.jpg:large

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:39 AM
How not to fill a gap. Nate Palmer version.

https://t.co/tx2e3wb5gi

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/Just_all_sorts_of_brutal..gif

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Well, that solves the Vine to PackerRats problem. https://gifvine.co

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 24m24 minutes ago
Nice ball fake from Rodgers

But the question is, where is the other route? The one WR runs right to the second safety. If another route was headed right, he'd be wide open. They ran this twice and both times it looked like botched routes.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/Nice_ball_fake_from_Rodgers.gif

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Prepare for cognitive dissonance. Your Packers punt return blocking at work. Courtesy of Packer Report.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO844auW8AALD-s.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO84DxOWcAUQqzM.jpg:large

So was it Monty or the blocking?

mraynrand
09-15-2015, 10:51 AM
The NFL is weird. That is Lovie's defense too and early he gave Rodgers fits. That defense aged and Rodgers torched it. Now Fangio swaps out corners and one OLB and put up decent resistance.

you do have to have the players to run it. Have to generate decent pass rush with mostly four and sometimes a LB.

King Friday
09-15-2015, 09:29 PM
So was it Monty or the blocking?

I've always thought it was about 80% on the returner. While the blocking is needed for anyone to succeed, good blocking can still get you nothing if your returner isn't capable of setting the run up properly behind it. Monty seems to have the vision and instincts to be a natural returner, and the speed and size to just run through arm tackles.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:39 PM
I've always thought it was about 80% on the returner. While the blocking is needed for anyone to succeed, good blocking can still get you nothing if your returner isn't capable of setting the run up properly behind it. Monty seems to have the vision and instincts to be a natural returner, and the speed and size to just run through arm tackles.

Very true. In that second picture, there are two unoccupied defenders. If Monty doesn't follow Ripper correctly, neither gets blocked.

But the seals inside are what make the whole thing possible.

mraynrand
09-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Placekicker didn't get much leg on those kickoffs either.