PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Week 1

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Studs

Aaron Rodgers - 18-23, 189, 3 TD 0 INT

James Jones - 4-51, 2 TD's (Shoulda been 3)

Lacy - 19-85, 1 TD Bounced it outside a bit too much, but ran hard inside.

Clay Matthews - Key INT and great play to run down Forte

Special Teams - Other than penalty on Shields, who had a bad day overall, Special Teams were solid.

Duds

HHCD - 2 of the worst tackle attempts I've ever seen.

Shields - Penalties on ST, on defense, and got beat on coverage.

Richardson - Can't cover, and threw in a bad penalty for good measure.

Defensive front 7 - Haven't had time to sort everything out, but run defense was terrible.

pittstang5
09-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Stud - Adams for getting the onside kick

Dud - Mike Neal for getting turned inside too many times

gbpackfan
09-13-2015, 03:52 PM
That so called "penalty" against Richardson is HORSE SHIT!!!! The NFL is a sham. The WR wasn't down and he didn't land on him that hard. It is a JOKE!

NEAL was BRUTAL against the run in the first half.

SHIELDS is getting paid a lot of money to play very badly. Wow. WTF

jklowan
09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Duds = Defense, or lack there of.... got to right this quick if we are gonna have SB aspirations

we might be better not sending em out so the offense has more time :)

1-0 but man the defense looks rough, Shields played a horrible game

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
That so called "penalty" against Richardson is HORSE SHIT!!!! The NFL is a sham. The WR wasn't down and he didn't land on him that hard. It is a JOKE!

NEAL was BRUTAL against the run in the first half.

SHIELDS is getting paid a lot of money to play very badly. Wow. WTF

Richardson lowered his helmet. They'll call that every time now.

smuggler
09-13-2015, 04:37 PM
No, they called Richardson for hitting him instead of tagging him. Helmet didn't factor into it. It's within the discretion of the refs (unecessary roughness), so it's technically a penalty - hitting a player with possesion of the football.

Fritz
09-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Stud - Adams for getting the onside kick

Dud - Mike Neal for getting turned inside too many times

Neal and Perry both got washed out of the play time and time again. Perry's only asset was that he could hold the point on the run, but he didn't today.

The defense was pretty crummy.

denverYooper
09-13-2015, 05:07 PM
HHCD did have those 2 instances where he didn't break down and tackle but I thought he played fairly well outside of that.

There were a few plays where he set a decent edge against the TE and it looked like he had a pretty good lid on the back end.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 05:14 PM
HHCD did have those 2 instances where he didn't break down and tackle but I thought he played fairly well outside of that.

There were a few plays where he set a decent edge against the TE and it looked like he had a pretty good lid on the back end.

He is a fantastic player on the backend and even has some man coverage skills. But coming forward and tackling is an adventure. He's a classic free safety right now. Plenty of time for him to improve.

Fritz
09-13-2015, 05:18 PM
He is a fantastic player on the backend and even has some man coverage skills. But coming forward and tackling is an adventure. He's a classic free safety right now. Plenty of time for him to improve.

Neal and Perry running out of time in that regard.

I was unimpressed with the front seven. Though they were better in the second half.

Shields, as we used to say in college, blew chunks.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Montgomery had some impressive KO returns.

Teamcheez1
09-13-2015, 07:19 PM
The three-headed safety Clinton-Dix/Hyde/Richardson were terrible today. Shields was abused. Funny thing was Cutler only completed 50% of his passes, it's the third downs that killed us.

I think the run defense will improve as the season goes on. I'm not sold it was all the D-line. The LB's and safeties don't seem to be providing any help.

Bossman641
09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
3rd down D and run D were awful

red
09-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Montgomery had some impressive KO returns.

yeah he did. we might finally have a real return threat

Pugger
09-13-2015, 08:46 PM

We keep forgetting Ha Ha is only in his second year starting. He'll be fine.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Jones comes back this week. That might help with some pass rush.

Guiana back in 2 more weeks will help run D.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 08:55 PM
I probably shouldn't have had HHCD on the Duds list. He was solid on the back end. It's just that those 2 terrible missed tackles left an impression on me. I suppose I still miss Nick Collins.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 09:04 PM
I probably shouldn't have had HHCD on the Duds list. He was solid on the back end. It's just that those 2 terrible missed tackles left an impression on me. I suppose I still miss Nick Collins.

It took Nick a couple of seasons before he was All-Pro too.

3irty1
09-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Studs: Rodgers, Lacy, JJ, Clay, Offensive line, Jay Cutler

Duds:

Shields had a miserable day. The special teams blunder would have been bad enough on his own but he also played atrocious defense.

Credit to HHCD for being athletic and instinctive enough to be in the position to miss so many tackles around the line of scrimmage. I actually think we missed Burnett.

Before he got hurt Barrington he looked committed to continuing the long tradition of piloting the soft underbelly of the Packers defense. Being next to Palmer made him look indecisive and slow.

DL. Raji actually didn't look to bad but in general this unit wasn't winning their one-on-ones. I'll have to rewatch the game to be more specific with the blame.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I would add O line to Duds list. For pass protection at least. Seemed like a lot of traffic in the pocket plus the penalties.

ThunderDan
09-13-2015, 09:20 PM
I would add O line to Duds list. For pass protection at least. Seemed like a lot of traffic in the pocket plus the penalties.

I disagree. The o-line wasn't a dud but I wouldn't put them as a stud either.

The O had 7 drives (other than the snap to end the first half) and scored 5 times and went 4 for 5 on red zones TDs.

The o-line had to be at least solid to do that.

3irty1
09-13-2015, 09:20 PM
double

3irty1
09-13-2015, 09:21 PM

The holding penalty on Bach was bogus. There were the false starts but for the most part they kept Rodgers plenty clean and he pushed it at times with how long he held the ball.

Mainly though I've been conditioned by these McCarthy teams to expect the OL's run blocking to be garbage until about week 8 at the earliest. This week they came out of the gate driving people off the ball and executing the inside zone really well. Health permitting and if they progress on the normal McCarthy trajectory, they'll be unstoppable by mid season.

King Friday
09-13-2015, 10:13 PM

Rodgers was only hit once or twice all day. I hardly see how that can be considered a dud, especially after the group played sparingly together in real action during the preseason.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Rodgers was only hit once or twice all day. I hardly see how that can be considered a dud, especially after the group played sparingly together in real action during the preseason.

Well, when he can move he doesn't tend to get hit. He had at least four runs bailing out of a pocket plus spontaneous boots. However, as 3irty1 points out, Rodgers was hanging onto the ball again on some plays.

Like the lack of a longer pass game, pass pro just seemed a little loose for my liking. Maybe thats not a dud, but thought it worth discussing.

digitaldean
09-13-2015, 11:49 PM
O Line was a work in progress the whole game. A couple of untimely penalties that killed big gains or scores. They were a B- or C grade. Rodgers mobility without injury mitigated some of the shortcomings with the line.

Stud - Jay Cutler. You can always count that putz to throw an untimely pick or give up a fumble. JJ - Stud for playing like he never left and took a ton of pressure off of Cobb.
Dud - Sam Shields. He had one very good pass defensed vs. Jeffrey. But otherwise he either couldn't stay onside, tackle or cover consistently.
RUn Defense - DUD. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE tackling.
Montgomery - Stud. A much much needed upgrade from the past several years of miserable KO returns.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2015, 12:08 AM
The O-Line played well. Rodgers had all day and Lacy had room to run. This OL usually starts out slow, so I'm hopeful they stay healthy. I'm excited about the OL. The only player on the OL that I wouldn't consider well above average is the LT. And there's hope for him. He improved from below average to serviceable last year. Maybe he can take a step up to above average this year.

yetisnowman
09-14-2015, 01:04 AM
Duds: 1) obviously the defense. The front 7 was really locked up and manhandled for most of the game. And even when we broke free of blocks and were in position to make plays, we tackled poorly, didn't accelerate, and took bad angles.
2)The field. Watching players(especially the packers) slipping and sliding and falling over each other all game. Not sure what the solution is but these notoriously shitty fields like Heinz and Soldier really diminish the quality of the game, not to mention adding to the risk of serious injury.
3)Sam Shields. Get your head out your ass. You make too much coin to be doing dumb shit like that, cost us big today.
4) Troy Aikman and Joe Buck. Wouldn't come off the dumb narrative that Cutler had magically turned the corner and that some intangible maturation had taken place and he was going to be different this season. Ignoring the fact that he was completing only half his passes and that his "maturation" was nothing more than Fox taking the ball out of his hands. All I saw was the same ol Cutler.

Studs:1)Aaron was his normal bastion of efficiency.
2)Receivers made some great plays....JJ especially.
3)Rookies.....MOntgomery showed some explosion, and Randall was exactly what you want out of first year db ...... For the most part invisible.

SkinBasket
09-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Officiating was a dud. Apparantly defensive PI isn't a thing anymore? Too many phantom calls, Richardson's being the worst, and the holding being second. Overall a sloppy game by the officials, but at least they caught Cobb covering the TE, because that's a POE this season... because it's obviously ruining the game.

And as usual, Buck/Aikman were duds. Most annoying commentary was on Jones' first TD, where he had one arm being held down and the defender's body all up in him, and Aikman praising the great coverage.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2015, 07:13 AM
Stud - Lacy. He has a real knack for finding those running lanes in traffic and that catch was fantastic. His decisions to run outside, not so good. He can't outrun most WWII vets to the outside let alone NFL defenders.

Pugger
09-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Officiating was a dud. Apparantly defensive PI isn't a thing anymore? Too many phantom calls, Richardson's being the worst, and the holding being second. Overall a sloppy game by the officials, but at least they caught Cobb covering the TE, because that's a POE this season... because it's obviously ruining the game.

And as usual, Buck/Aikman were duds. Most annoying commentary was on Jones' first TD, where he had one arm being held down and the defender's body all up in him, and Aikman praising the great coverage.

If you read bare forums they are all crying about our DBs holding and no calls. :roll:

Tony Oday
09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
WTF really?! They mugged our WR as per usual and no calls ever.

pbmax
09-14-2015, 08:54 AM
To be fair, Demarious Randall, world's greatest tackling DB, was doing a surprisingly effective imitation of Grabby McSmurf on a few plays.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 09:06 AM
"Most annoying commentary was on Jones' first TD, where he had one arm being held down and the defender's body all up in him, and Aikman praising the great coverage."

"If you read bare forums they are all crying about our DBs holding and no calls."

- "good coverage" is stopping the WR using whatever tricks you can get away with - the interference by the Chicago DB was 'good coverage' because he turned his head enough to convince the ref he was playing the ball.

This is Belicheat 101 - mug the WRs early and often and force the Refs to call everything or swallow their whistles, don't be obvious enough that they have to call it, bump and hold as much as you possibly can get away with.

MadScientist
09-14-2015, 09:17 AM
- "good coverage" is stopping the WR using whatever tricks you can get away with - the interference by the Chicago DB was 'good coverage' because he turned his head enough to convince the ref he was playing the ball.

This is Belicheat 101 - mug the WRs early and often and force the Refs to call everything or swallow their whistles, don't be obvious enough that they have to call it, bump and hold as much as you possibly can get away with.

To be fair, Woodson and Harris pretty much flat out stated that was the way they played.

I'm not sure they qualify as studs, but the special teams and the OL were solid, when I was expecting complete shit for both.

SkinBasket
09-14-2015, 10:29 AM
I understand it happens frequently on both sides of the ball, but every GB TD throw and the ONE they actually did call for Jones in the end zone was PI. Hell, their WR even committed PI without a call. Just wish they would change the rules to achieve competitive balance between offense and defense instead of changing which rules they choose to enforce or not enforce from one season to the next.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Overall a sloppy game by the officials, but at least they caught Cobb covering the TE, because that's a POE this season... because it's obviously ruining the game.

It's hard to see why this is retained as a penalty.

Also dislike the penalty that wouldn't exist but for the previous penalty. Case in point: Shields' interference in end zone, which would not have mattered if Chicago O-line had not held. But there's no good way to eliminate these kinds of annoying offsetting penalties, methinks.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 11:33 AM
dp

pbmax
09-14-2015, 12:06 PM
All DBs should just wear boxing gloves.

sharpe1027
09-14-2015, 12:17 PM
It's hard to see why this is retained as a penalty.

Also dislike the penalty that wouldn't exist but for the previous penalty. Case in point: Shields' interference in end zone, which would not have mattered if Chicago O-line had not held. But there's no good way to eliminate these kinds of annoying offsetting penalties, methinks.

They made a point of emphasis to get rid of offsetting personal fouls by penalizing the instigator. Of course, that sends the message that you can do whatever you want as long as you do it second (short of something that would get you tossed out of the game)

They could, for example, have certain pre-throw penalties take priority over post-throw penalties. Thus, a PI would not cancel out the OL holding because the ball would be need to be in the air for the PI to occur (post-throw), but holding by the DB would offset holding by the OL (pre-throw). It is kind of similar to how they presently differentiate dead ball, after-the-play, penalties from live play penalties.

Guiness
09-14-2015, 12:23 PM
at least they caught Cobb covering the TE, because that's a POE this season... because it's obviously ruining the game.

Not sure what your talking about here?

pbmax
09-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Not sure what your talking about here?

Illegal formation call. You cannot have 2 eligible receivers next to each other and both on the LOS. That is why slot/WR or TE must step back 1-2 yards from LOS when getting set.

You do need one eligible on the LOS though. Remember Chmura always gesturing to the receiver out side of him to step up when he moved back to be a wing? If an eligible receiver isn't on the LOS, then the Tackle is in an eligible position with an ineligible number.

Its all a very simple 8 page flowchart.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 12:40 PM
They made a point of emphasis to get rid of offsetting personal fouls by penalizing the instigator. Of course, that sends the message that you can do whatever you want as long as you do it second (short of something that would get you tossed out of the game)

They could, for example, have certain pre-throw penalties take priority over post-throw penalties. Thus, a PI would not cancel out the OL holding because the ball would be need to be in the air for the PI to occur (post-throw), but holding by the DB would offset holding by the OL (pre-throw). It is kind of similar to how they presently differentiate dead ball, after-the-play, penalties from live play penalties.

Yes!

This is what I was proposing to the family yesterday during the game. They were completely uninterested.

ThunderDan
09-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Yes!

This is what I was proposing to the family yesterday during the game. They were completely uninterested.

Maybe it was the presenter ..... ZING!

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe it was the presenter ..... ZING!

:smile: Probably so!

Guiness
09-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Illegal formation call. You cannot have 2 eligible receivers next to each other and both on the LOS. That is why slot/WR or TE must step back 1-2 yards from LOS when getting set.

You do need one eligible on the LOS though. Remember Chmura always gesturing to the receiver out side of him to step up when he moved back to be a wing? If an eligible receiver isn't on the LOS, then the Tackle is in an eligible position with an ineligible number.

Its all a very simple 8 page flowchart.

So Cobb was the inside receiver and was on the line, as was the outside WR?

One of the teams in the late game had to call a timeout because of something similar. There was no WR on the left side of the formation, making the tackle eligible and they had to call a TO to avoid the penalty I believe.

Fritz
09-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Stud: red's unofficial game thread, Joe's official game thread.

red
09-14-2015, 04:21 PM
duh

Joemailman
09-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Stud: red's unofficial game thread, Joe's official game thread.

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/603547.jpg

red
09-14-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm batman BTW

you can be my gay little buddy

Joemailman
09-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm batman BTW

you can be my gay little buddy

Nope. Pretty sure that R stands for Red.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Forgot all about this one:

DUD: Masthay and Punt ST. Last punt was 43 yard kick, returned 11 yards. Net of 32. Terrible.

Masthay hit 2 for 48.5 Gross. But his net avg was 33 yards for the game.

His other punt was 54 gross, touchback made it 34 net.

3irty1
09-15-2015, 11:14 AM
This thread should really just be for complaining about Shields.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 11:17 AM
I still think he might have a concussion.

Fritz
09-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Barrington's now on the dud list, too.