PDA

View Full Version : Who Helped and Who Hurt their chances?

BallHawk
09-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Helped:

Tracy White
Ruvell Martin
C. Brewster
Noah Herron
Tra Boger
Hurt:

CORY RODGERS
Kenney Peterson(literaly)

I didn't watch the game so you guys can continue on the list, or make your own.

pack4to84
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
well I would add under hurt his chance of starting thats Moll. I think TT has to make a trade now.

Hurt chance of making team
Hawkins
Horton (he was just getting picked on all game)
Rogers gone no questions asked.
Fergy gone (better future talent in Brewster than what he brings)
Davenport gone

Help..
Hunter too much upside in pass rushing to let go.
Ryan punter 56yd avg I think
Brewster show good signs of being a good WR(but not as a PR)
Herron showed too much to let go
Martin nice leaping grabe for a TD
Qb Martin show good arm strength and a positive 2min drill 4 a TD drive.

GBRulz
09-01-2006, 07:03 PM
well, let's hope that we never are down to our third string QB. Martin was pathetic

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 07:05 PM
I didn't think Ingle Martin was impressive at all--although he looks to have some physical ability.

I thought Brewster made some plays, but also screwed up a couple of times. I don't think he'll make the team. Good practice squad candidate.

I thought Hunter and Tollefson played pretty well. I thought Hodge played better in this game than the last couple of games. Jon Ryan punted well. There were plenty of players that didn't impress. Then again, a lot of the guys who played a lot in this game were longshots to make the club.

BF4MVP
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
well, let's hope that we never are down to our third string QB. Martin was pathetic
LMFAO...Who the hell would run out of bounds for a loss of 1 on fourth down?! Throw it, what's the worst that could happen? It's picked off?!

Oh yeah, and he pretty much threw one right to the defender...

gbpackfan
09-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Helped: Hunter, Jolly, Herron, R. Martin

Hurt: C. Rodgers, Dendy, Horton, and Gardner (although I think he will make the team anyway.)

woodbuck27
09-01-2006, 08:29 PM
well I would add under hurt his chance of starting thats Moll. I think TT has to make a trade now.

Hurt chance of making team
Hawkins
Horton (he was just getting picked on all game)
Rogers gone no questions asked.
Fergy gone (better future talent in Brewster than what he brings)
Davenport gone

Help..
Hunter too much upside in pass rushing to let go.
Ryan punter 56yd avg I think
Brewster show good signs of being a good WR(but not as a PR)
Herron showed too much to let go
Martin nice leaping grabe for a TD
Qb Martin show good arm strength and a positive 2min drill 4 a TD drive.

That post... Bang On !!

We don't need hangers on. Let's go " all in ", with Vet's that play with ALL they have, otherwise send them packing and definitely allow players like Herron and Brewster to remain and develop,

Certainly WR Ruvell Martin made the Packers. Count on it !!

Yup.... Hunter has an upside.

We will be so DAM pleased with Jon Ryan. I don't expect him to bust ...too much substance in that fine punter and athlete.

If Herron can play HB? Then can Vonta Leach? Very difficult decision there as I see it. Vonta Leach stays , as he's a decent blocker (in the backfield). . .some one has to save Favre from getting too much heat.

I just pray he doesn't get seriously hurt. He's going to be punished severely this season. Ted Thompson needs a kick in the arse. What a bonehead I see him as, and he scares the "H" out of me with his laissey faire attitude.

I apologize to ALL Ted Thompson supporters on this Forum, but Ted Thompson has tossed 2006 in the TANK. No pun intended. :mrgreen:

OL TED !! OL OL OL OL Smarten the HELL up soon !!

:idea: The fans are more important than you seem to realize Ted. :idea:

RashanGary
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Tollifson had his first real moments where he looked like he belonged. I hope we can stash him on the PS and allow him to get stronger and more explosive.

Bretsky
09-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Tollifson had his first real moments where he looked like he belonged. I hope we can stash him on the PS and allow him to get stronger and more explosive.

I see a lot of upside in Hunter; I really hope they don't cut him because IMO he won't make it to a practice squad.

the_idle_threat
09-01-2006, 11:38 PM

I see a lot of upside in Hunter; I really hope they don't cut him because IMO he won't make it to a practice squad.

I agree. If we could keep Jamal Reynolds on the bottom of the roster for what was it ... 3 seasons ... then we can give this guy a shot.

Tollefson might just make it to the practice squad.

Bretsky
09-01-2006, 11:48 PM

I agree. If we could keep Jamal Reynolds on the bottom of the roster for what was it ... 3 seasons ... then we can give this guy a shot.

Tollefson might just make it to the practice squad.

Except Hunter, as a free agent, has already flash more than Reynolds ever did. WHAT SPEED; WOW. Can't coach that. Now if they can coach this guy they can turn him into a real nice situational rusher.

B

the_idle_threat
09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
That's why I agreeing with you, Bretsky. :wink:

I think we should keep Hunter, and cut Tollefson, with the hope of developing Tollefson further on the practice squad.

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 12:37 AM

I think we should keep Hunter, and cut Tollefson, with the hope of developing Tollefson further on the practice squad.

I would think Tollefson would be able to be resigned; but TT may need to show some balls and cut a vet like Peterson/Montgomery or somebody to keep Hunter as well.

Willard
09-02-2006, 12:55 AM

I would think Tollefson would be able to be resigned; but TT may need to show some balls and cut a vet like Peterson/Montgomery or somebody to keep Hunter as well.

Peterson, buh bye...

the_idle_threat
09-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Peterson, buh bye...

Agreed. Has Peterson done anything?

And consider this ... I distinctly recall a JSO article before the '03 draft where Peterson was being pimped as our potential first-round pick.

Reasonable people will disagree on whether Nick Barnett is the answer at his position, but can you imagine if we had passed on him for Peterson? Yuck!

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Peterson, buh bye...

Agreed. Has Peterson done anything?

And consider this ... I distinctly recall a JSO article before the '03 draft where Peterson was being pimped as our potential first-round pick.

Reasonable people will disagree on whether Nick Barnett is the answer at his position, but can you imagine if we had passed on him for Peterson? Yuck!

I recall that article too; and that our staff had a possible 1st round grade on him. Terrifying. He showed a few flashes of being able to penetrate and rush the passer last year, but not enough.

the_idle_threat
09-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Very interesting what the scouts were saying. They were all over the map. The first quote kind of stands out, though ...

What the scouts were saying...

Posted: April 27, 2003

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about DL Kenny Peterson:

An AFC scout: "I love him. He tore Miami a new (expletive). He's way better than (Ryan) Pickett. :shock: He's very consistent. He's not flashy. He can play both tackle and end in a 4-3 and nose tackle and end in a 3-4.

An NFC scout: "I don't know what his best position is. I don't know if he's ever going to be really good at one."

Ron Nay, Washington: "Good, solid player. Some people didn't think he made enough plays."

Another NFC scout: "To take him at 29 would be a classic, classic mistake. He can't play. He's not good enough to two-gap, hold the point and make plays. He doesn't have the lateral quickness. He doesn't have (penetrating) ability. He's just a good college player that doesn't make a lot of plays. He's like a third- or fourth-round pick. I don't know if he can play power end and I know he can't play three-technique (tackle). Excellent kid. Had a solid game, not great against Miami. Where is the upside? I don't see agility, body control, balance, quickness, burst, ability to close, speed, edge rush. He's not nearly as good as Holliday."

Another AFC scout: "I've been up and down on him. I don't know where he can play. Where can he be outstanding at? I don't know. He's got some athletic ability but the guy didn't make a lot of plays."

John Brunner, San Francisco: "Third round. We thought he played better inside."

A third NFC scout: "He's just not sudden. He's more of a catcher. Is he technique perfect? Yeah, probably. He plays the game on his feet. I don't think he runs real well. He's well coached. He's a little better than Paul Grasmanis. One of those real try-hard guys. This kid's not going to the Pro Bowl. He's probably going to be a rotation guy. He's not bad at the point because he's a technician. He doesn't get knocked off the ball. I think Vonnie Holliday is a much better player."

A fourth NFC scout: "He's Vonnie Holliday. He can play three-technique or power end. He's well-coached."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I think he's going to end up being a run-down end and rush inside. Not as good as Holliday. Second-rounder."

Tony Softli, Carolina: "I think his position is inside. He shows good pass-rush skills. He has two-gap quickness. He gets up field. He causes some chaos."

A fifth NFC scout: "He'll be a late first, early second. Last year, he didn't really start. He was productive this year. He was great in the Miami game and had a good Senior Bowl."

From the April 27, 2003 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
ok, so final cuts are today. What is the deadline for the practice squad?

Another probably dumb question, but can only rookies be assigned to the PS? perhaps that would be a nice place for Ferguson..... :wink:

Rastak
09-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Although he's kind of an idiot, I did sort of feel bad for Cory Rodgers...can you imagine how that dude felt when he muffed that punt....what a sinking feeling that must have been.

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 08:10 AM

Another probably dumb question, but can only rookies be assigned to the PS? perhaps that would be a nice place for Ferguson..... :wink:

Michelle,

I think around Tuesday is when teams can start practice squadding players. Any cut player can be claimed by another player. This is where the chess match starts. If a Team wants to cut a player to get him to the PS they have to risk another team claiming him and losing him forever.

That's why I don't think you can cut a guy like Hunter.

B

packrulz
09-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Colledge had a bad game. He won't be cut but they have to find a guy to back up at LT.

mngolf19
09-02-2006, 08:45 AM

Michelle,

I think around Tuesday is when teams can start practice squadding players. Any cut player can be claimed by another player. This is where the chess match starts. If a Team wants to cut a player to get him to the PS they have to risk another team claiming him and losing him forever.

B

Also, the pay on PS is much lower than league min I believe so no player with a least a year experience out of PS would be willing to go there.

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
oh ok, so you have to cut the guy before naming him to the PS?

Thanks gentlemen....and you, too, B :wink:

Scott Campbell
09-02-2006, 09:54 AM

Michelle,

B

I don't know what advantage there is to cutting guys and putting them on your practice squad. In our situation, I think it's a better place to audition guys cut from other teams that you aren't that familiar with. You should already know what guys can do that have been through your entire training camp. And you can always sign them off another teams practice squad if you decide you want them back - assuming they don't make some other teams roster. And that's a pretty safe assumption with this roster.

Later in the year after your roster is set, the practice squad might be a better place for developing young players. But early in the year I think it should be used for player auditions.

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 10:03 AM

Michelle,

B

I don't know what advantage there is to cutting guys and putting them on your practice squad. In our situation, I think it's a better place to audition guys cut from other teams that you aren't that familiar with. You should already know what guys can do that have been through your entire training camp. And you can always sign them off another teams practice squad if you decide you want them back - assuming they don't make some other teams roster. And that's a pretty safe assumption with this roster.

Later in the year after your roster is set, the practice squad might be a better place for developing young players. But early in the year I think it should be used for player auditions.

You HAVE to go in with the menality that any player you cut may be claimed by another team and gone forever.

Also, if we place somebody on our practice squad, another team can still come in and sign him to their active roster. Remember the Hunter Hillenmeyer mistake ?

I'm sure there's a sales pitch with certain players; we are cutting you but want to keep you and resign you to our practice squad Tuesday.....

But reality is when you cut a player he can go and sign with ANY team on their practice squad............and another team can claim them.

That's why a guy with big upside can't be cut.

Bretsky

ahaha
09-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I think Brewster helped himself, despite the fumbled return. They say he's been making some plays in practice. Gardner has done nothing, and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Brewster and let Gardner go.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Question about waivers: if a team claims you off waivers, do you have to go and play for them or are you more like a free agent and can refuse to go if you think something better might come along?

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
If a team claims you then you are their player.

And multiple teams could put in to claim the same player.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 10:32 AM
The does he have a choice or does draft order determine who gets him?