PDA

View Full Version : Barrington Expected to Miss Season

pbmax
09-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Another MLB bites the dust.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
I can confirm that the Packers believe Barrington is likely out for the season.

Harlan actually had this first on the board.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28097-Jones-is-no-difference-maker&p=845710&viewfull=1#post845710

AsHH observes, no longer need to worry about opening spot on roster for Datone.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Is anybody in love with Barrington?

No doubt this is a loss at position where the Packers are desperately thin. I guess we'll see if Palmer or Mr. Michigan can play.

Bossman641
09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Well shit.

He had an ankle sprain going into week 1 right? Wonder if this is related to that or if it's a foot injury.

Teamcheez1
09-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Barrington was just a guy. Didn't see any real flash during preseason. It hurts our depth, but hopefully one of the other guys can step up.

Bossman641
09-15-2015, 03:58 PM
This is really gonna test the depth. Who's left, Ryan and Palmer on active roster and Bradford and Vaughters on practice squad?

bobblehead
09-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Is anybody in love with Barrington?

No doubt this is a loss at position where the Packers are desperately thin. I guess we'll see if Palmer or Mr. Michigan can play.

Palmer looked like a cross between Brad Jones and AJ Hawk out there....Yes, I love Barrington by comparison. Can't we ever get decent MLB play? Bring Brian Noble out of Retirement please.

sharpe1027
09-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Palmer looked like a cross between Brad Jones and AJ Hawk out there....Yes, I love Barrington by comparison. Can't we ever get decent MLB play? Bring Brian Noble out of Retirement please.

Could it be that the way they want the position played doesn't lend itself to looking good to the causal fan? Maybe we have had some decent MLB play and we just don't appreciate the nuances of the position.

Nah.

Tony Oday
09-15-2015, 04:09 PM
So basically we do not have the damn personnel to play the 3-4 anymore!!! We have plenty to switch it up to a 4-3. I know you can't do that but damn I wish we could use Dantone at MLB and he just plugs the running lanes in the middle.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 04:32 PM

On run D maybe. He's already better than they were in coverage.

Fosco33
09-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Any available FA worth lookin at? Brandon spikes but he has legal issues... Previously 4games for banned substance and the recent hit/run

pbmax
09-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
#Packers officially place ILB Sam Barrington on injured reserve, activate DE Datone Jones from suspended list.

Barrington is NOT IR-Desgnated to Return.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m14 minutes ago
Don't forget that Andy Mulumba saw some reps in the middle in the nickel and dime in preseason. He can fill in when Matthews moves outside.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 48s49 seconds ago
With #Packers LB Sam Barrington going on IR, worth noting ex-Packers LB Desmond Bishop is healed from thumb surgery 4 weeks ago & ready

Tony Oday
09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Briggs?

Smidgeon
09-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 48s49 seconds ago
With #Packers LB Sam Barrington going on IR, worth noting ex-Packers LB Desmond Bishop is healed from thumb surgery 4 weeks ago & ready

I don't know what that has to do with his knees...

Fosco33
09-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Didn't niners put him on IR?

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Joe Thomas is on Dallas PS

Maxie the Taxi
09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Jake Ryan looked good in preseason.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn! Barrington looked MUCH better than Palmer in the preseason.

smuggler
09-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Palmer actually looked reasonable in pass coverage.

Patler
09-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Joe Thomas is on Dallas PS

Thomas would somewhat do what Barrington did, hit people in the running game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Play Ryan and resign Thomas.

pittstang5
09-15-2015, 08:44 PM
:tup:

pbmax
09-16-2015, 08:07 AM
JSO says it is a foot injury for Barrington and not an ankle issue as was reported during the game.

hoosier
09-16-2015, 08:17 AM
JSO says it is a foot injury for Barrington and not an ankle issue as was reported during the game.

Sounds like he has a Lisfranc.

Pugger
09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Then who do we cut to make room for Thomas?

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Sounds like he has a Lisfranc.
We don't discuss timetables or get into diagnosis. He has a foot.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Then who do we cut to make room for Thomas?

It occurs to me that Ted probably considers his 53 chess pieces to be pretty golden. We may not see it, but in his eyes Alonzo Harris and Lane Taylor are a lot more valuable than any PS guy around the league. Cutting one of his chosen ones is more painful than losing a draft pick - the 53 were vetted.

Maybe TT will prefer to shuffle an OLB inside for time being. Perhaps sign Joe Thomas or another option if/when a roster spot opens.

hoosier
09-16-2015, 09:07 AM
We don't discuss timetables or get into diagnosis. He has a foot.

Bullshit. We already know he has a foot, and we know he's out for the year. Only thing left to do is speculate on hypotheses.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Bullshit. We already know he has a foot, and we know he's out for the year. Only thing left to do is speculate on hypotheses.

I was doing an MM imitation.

smuggler
09-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Silly dog and monkey show...

Primate. Whatever.

pbmax
09-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Are we playing Ryan because he is good or because Palmer showed little versus the run? Here is the infamous un-named scout on Ryan:

"He's a hustler," an NFL personnel man said. "Limited athletically. He chases the ball. He's a run-around guy (against blocks). I don't see him as a starter."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/327756801.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 10:28 AM
"He's a hustler," an NFL personnel man said. "Limited athletically. He chases the ball. He's a run-around guy (against blocks). I don't see him as a starter."

He sounds like excellent candidate for equipment manager or water boy.

What about that guy in Buffalo who broke Geno Smith's jaw? He's a backup who might come cheap. The D needs some spunk.

Fritz
09-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Are we playing Ryan because he is good or because Palmer showed little versus the run? Here is the infamous un-named scout on Ryan:

I'm not reading much excitement about Palmer or Ryan on this board; however, people did not seem too sold on Barrington, either. Yet he was supposed to be the next Desmond Bishop - bring some pop to this softnslow middle of the field.

Just remember: whoever it is, it's probably better than Hawk and Jones.

Carolina_Packer
09-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Myles White, anyone? At least we know he's fast.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2015, 02:35 PM

I'm basing it on what I saw in the preseason. I liked his play. I just don't know that he's ready to start. If they start him now though, he may be a player by playoff time. I think Ryan has more potential than Palmer. Athletically, they are similar, but Ryan plays stouter.

deake
09-16-2015, 03:05 PM
It's not a question if Ryan gets to play but when, for if my memory serves me well, our injuries usually happen in one area, i.e. OL,DL,WR so the question is when will the next middle line backer get hurt?

Carolina_Packer
09-16-2015, 03:45 PM
If they had to go to the free agent wire, Mason Foster is available after getting signed as a free agent and cut by the Bears at the end of TC. He was originally drafted in the 3rd round in 2011 by Tampa and has called defensive plays previously. He averaged about 100 tackles. Plus is that he's 26 and has starting experience. Minus is that he didn't get a second look from Tampa after a rookie deal, and couldn't make it onto Chicago's roster. It would surprise me if we signed a guy like this, but at least he has experience.

Joemailman
09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm basing it on what I saw in the preseason. I liked his play. I just don't know that he's ready to start. If they start him now though, he may be a player by playoff time. I think Ryan has more potential than Palmer. Athletically, they are similar, but Ryan plays stouter.

I agree. Palmer seems to be better suited to the dime LB. Ryan seemed to play well in the preseason games even though you didn't hear that much about him in practice. I think he's in time a better prospect than Barrington. Just a matter of how much time. http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2015/ILB/Jake-Ryan

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Sorry, but I'm not trusting any opinions about Palmer or Ryan or even Barrington. We haven't seen them play very much.

Pugger
09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
I agree. Palmer seems to be better suited to the dime LB. Ryan seemed to play well in the preseason games even though you didn't hear that much about him in practice. I think he's in time a better prospect than Barrington. Just a matter of how much time. http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2015/ILB/Jake-Ryan

I like your avatar.

Joemailman
09-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Sorry, but I'm not trusting any opinions about Palmer or Ryan or even Barrington. We haven't seen them play very much.

Whaddya wanna do? Bring back Brian Noble?

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm agitating to bring back DJ Smith.

I wasn't making a judgement about those guys, just see a question.

Everybody seems convinced that Joe Thomas was a comer. Yet Teddy kept two other shlubs ahead of him on PS.

I think it takes about half a regular season to really judge an ILB.

bobblehead
09-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Could it be that the way they want the position played doesn't lend itself to looking good to the causal fan? Maybe we have had some decent MLB play and we just don't appreciate the nuances of the position.

Nah.

I guess they might design the D to have the MLB retreat on run plays and make tackles 8 yards downfield, but that would be pretty stupid. And Clay doesn't play it that way...fucker has to learn his assignments.

bobblehead
09-19-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm agitating to bring back DJ Smith.

I wasn't making a judgement about those guys, just see a question.

Everybody seems convinced that Joe Thomas was a comer. Yet Teddy kept two other shlubs ahead of him on PS.

I think it takes about half a regular season to really judge an ILB.

I really liked Joe Thomas, but he looked small on the field. Played with heart and such though. I am biased towards guys who don't look the part but continue to make plays. (Mark Tauscher...aka, pisbury doughboy)