PDA

View Full Version : punt returns

LEWCWA
09-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Did they cover punts today? Doesn't do much good to punt the ball 50 yards if they are returning it 20! Ryan better learn to get some hang time!

GBRulz
09-01-2006, 06:56 PM
he had a 56 yard average and a few with 5+ seconds of hang time. That was one of the bright spots in the game.

ST coverage though? That's another story.

Joemailman
09-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Most of the time, Ryan had decent hang time. I think several guys blew their chance to make the team today with poor punt coverage. Get Fergy and Poppinga out there, and I think things will look different.

FritzDontBlitz
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
our punt coverage sucks. on two of ryan's punts the gunner could have obliterated to return man inside the titans' 5 yard line but they had terrible angles coming down. the outside guys blew containment on every punt.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Does anybody even know if our normal starting coverage units were ever even on the field? Without the likes of Henderson, Taylor, Hawk, and bunch of other guys not playing much, can we even take anything from this game regarding coverage units?

This was an absolutely meaningless game to evaluate the starters for the Packers. Fisher's decision to run his starters out into the third quarter did give the Packers an excellent opportunity to evaluate a lot of their backups against legit NFL competition though.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
How kind of him. :roll:

RIPackerFan
09-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Good Post Harvey - my thoughts exactly.

Brohm
09-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Does anybody even know if our normal starting coverage units were ever even on the field? Without the likes of Henderson, Taylor, Hawk, and bunch of other guys not playing much, can we even take anything from this game regarding coverage units?

This was an absolutely meaningless game to evaluate the starters for the Packers. Fisher's decision to run his starters out into the third quarter did give the Packers an excellent opportunity to evaluate a lot of their backups against legit NFL competition though.

Indeed. Many have pointed out how bad the Packers are this pre-season, but really I would rather have the competiton we had to get a good look at our talent level. SD sent everything they had at us, as did the Bengals (no vanilla D there) and the Titans kept their starters in till late in the game. It made us look like crap but the experience will be invaluable to our up and comers as well as provide a good look at the "real" talent level.

I think the ST will be much improved once we got our gamers in there (well besides the returns :roll: )