PDA

View Full Version : Studs & Duds - Packers vs. Seahawks

Joemailman
09-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Studs:

Aaron Rodgers - 25-33, 249, 2-0 with an injury depleted offense.

James Starks - Gave Packers enough of a running threat to keep Seattle honest

Randall Cobb - 8-116. Not 100% yet, but tough as nails.

Dick Rod - Just 3 catches but a TD and 2 PT. Plus he drew a penalty that led to an ejection.

Josh Sitton - Solid all night, and pancaked Bennett on 1 play.

Jayrone Elliott - 2 turnovers.

B.J. Raji - Great penetration against the run.

Linebackers - Great gap control tonight.

Duds:

I dunno. It did seem there was some lack of communication between Hayward and HHCD that led to some big completions.

pbmax
09-20-2015, 11:25 PM
Neal and Dix both bit inside on a Wilson read option, but those were the exceptions tonight.

Still had some bad penalties, especially on 3rd down.

But I vote STUD for TJ Lang and going after the cheap shooting Seahawks who was clobbering RickRod. Seahawks were doing a lot of piling on and bending guys back. Someone needed to clean up a pile even at the risk of a penalty. Lang has the good fortune to get offsetting AND an ejection.

Bossman641
09-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Shields was a stud. I don't recall him being thrown at even once tonight...always good when your name is never mentioned.

Joemailman
09-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Honorable mention to Ty Montgomery who gave the offense a lift when they were struggling.

Tony Oday
09-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Casey Hayward....DUD!

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2015, 11:34 PM
I dunno. It did seem there was some lack of communication between Hayward and HHCD that led to some big completions.

I can't see enough on TV to evaluate secondary guys, not even armchair standards. But Hayward looks half step slow whenever he is on replay. I would like to see him get some minor injury for three weeks just to see what happens with Rollins and Randall playing. If I had a voodoo doll...

Bossman641
09-20-2015, 11:34 PM
Dud - clock management. Too many wasted TO's

gbgary
09-20-2015, 11:43 PM
Dud - clock management. Too many wasted TO's

the time outs used on that last drive were, i believe, used that way by design.

Bossman641
09-20-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm talking earlier in the game. 3 TO used in the first quarter.

Freak Out
09-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Bach was a dud.

Willard
09-21-2015, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;

Linebackers - Great gap control tonight.
.[/QUOTE]

First half was the best I ever saw Perry play.

channtheman
09-21-2015, 01:15 AM
STUD: Esera Tuaolo for singing the Star Spangled Banner. Seriously, best I've ever heard it, and he has a great voice.

mraynrand
09-21-2015, 06:08 AM
STUD:

Run Defense: it was so good it almost backfired; drove Seattle completely out of their game plan into the Russell Wilson show.

(Honorary: Russell Wilson: Holy Smokes this guy is good. He almost won the game for Seattle all by his lonesome)

Stark Plug: despite TO, came in a ran effectively enough

Cobb: or Rodgers-to-Cobb - great feel and adjustment in second half

R. Rodgers: solid, and great look. He's got that 'Lando in Jabba's den' look perfected - cool and confident. And those Oven Mitts are awesome: TD catch: "The Roast is in the Oven!"

Duds:

Capers/Defensive scheme: took too long to adjust to Seattle adjustment. Still, they adjusted, so only a minor Dud

Injuries: they keep piling up

Clay: Scheme took him out of too many plays; didn't scrape properly on at least two inside crashes by OLB. Pedestrian night from a superstar.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 07:32 AM
There was some shakiness on the outside run fits, but it was miles better than versus the Bears.

And Nate Palmer should be the dime linebacker forever, even though I am not sure they played more than 2 snaps of dime last night. That guy has wheels and can cover.

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Dud - 3rd Q
Stud - The other quarters

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Studs: D. Randall, quiet night which is really good for a surprise/unknown draft choice (who can't tackle :roll:.)
Performed well from what I saw.

BJ Raji was a force in the middle all night...shades of Gilbert

Datone Jones showed up to make a couple key TFL and QB hurries.

TT for drafting Randall and Monty (who has the look of a future big time stud), for not listening to me and wasting a high draft choice on a dud ILB (Ryan may turn out the best of the lot), and for signing James Jones - HUGE

Elliot does have to get more playing time.

Starks is a valuable Packer. Guy is money.

Special teams did just about everything right. Lockette is explosive. Crosby kicked well and coverage guys staying in their lanes and smothered the returns. Kudo's to Zook and Stubby.

Duds: Ball security

I still don't understand keeping two FB's and activating both. Maybe both are key special teamers and that's why special teams performed well. But I would like to have had Harris available. I'm hoping he'll be activated next week.

Tony Oday
09-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Stud: Mycha Hyde for covering Graham all night.

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Another Stud: Tom Clements. He did a great job calling plays, especially during the last six minutes of so of the game. At 4:16 mark it was 3rd and six. He dialed up the pass to Monty and got the first down, instead of just trying to rush out the clock. It was a gutsy call, but that first down allowed the Pack to run the clock down to the two minute warning.

mraynrand
09-21-2015, 09:56 AM

There were a lot of studs like this - guys who didn't show up because they shut their guys down.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2015, 10:36 AM

Are you sure Hyde covered him all night? I remember watching and noticed Casey Hayward on him for some plays and Sean Richardson on him for other plays. Never really noticed Hyde on him that much.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Stud: Special Teams

There, I said it.

Masthay had 3 punts for 139 yards (46.3). 22 return yards versus by Lockett gives him a net of 39 yards per kick. Not bad.
Ryan was 5 for 201, gross and net was 40.2

Mase was 4/4 with 1 PAT and he hit a 54 yarder.

KO coverage held Lockett to 4 for 79 yards, average of 19.75.
Monty had one return for 19 yards (probably not best decision to take it out from 8 yards deep)

Avg starting field position:
Seachickens: 10, 13, 40, 53 (Starks fumble@GB 47), 24, 20, 46, 20, 18, 20 :: 10 drives (264) average starting spot is the 26.4

Packers: 20, 44, 20, 11, 8, 20, 16, 20, 20, 63 (Elliot's int @SEA 37), 31 :: 11 drives (273) average starting spot is 24.8

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks, pb, for putting numbers to my seat of the pants impressions.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 11:46 AM
No problem Maxie. Should have given you a nod as you went first, but the good performance has left me dizzy. :)

Fritz
09-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Stud: Special Teams

There, I said it.

Masthay had 3 punts for 139 yards (46.3). 22 return yards versus by Lockett gives him a net of 39 yards per kick. Not bad.
Ryan was 5 for 201, gross and net was 40.2

Mase was 4/4 with 1 PAT and he hit a 54 yarder.

KO coverage held Lockett to 4 for 79 yards, average of 19.75.
Monty had one return for 19 yards (probably not best decision to take it out from 8 yards deep)

Avg starting field position:
Seachickens: 10, 13, 40, 53 (Starks fumble@GB 47), 24, 20, 46, 20, 18, 20 :: 10 drives (264) average starting spot is the 26.4

Packers: 20, 44, 20, 11, 8, 20, 16, 20, 20, 63 (Elliot's int @SEA 37), 31 :: 11 drives (273) average starting spot is 24.8

Studs:

Donnie Barclay, just because Aaron Rodgers is still walking today.

Richard Rodgers - missed on what woulda been a tough TD catch, but made a nice TD catch later and followed up with an even better two-point conversion catch. Finally, a tight-end red-zone threat? I like this guy.

Ty Montgomery - the spotlight was not too bright for this guy. He played like he knew what he was doing.

Starks - he doesn't always get all the reads, but that guy runs hard. How many teams have that good of a second string RB?

Aaron Rodgers. He's the shizz.

Spatial teams. yay!

Mike Neal. Once he remembered to watch the backside, he was dynamite. That dude is fast for a big man, and he doesn't give up on plays.

Jayrone Elliot. Of course. Old Lions coach Wayned Fontes used to say all the time, "Big players make big plays," and the Pack needed someone obscure to step up and do just that. So Elliot did. Though I hated the way he carried the pigskin on that interception.

Duds:

Casey "Dollar Short and a Day Late" Howard. I just don't think he's got what he had any more.

Dom Capers for not adjusting quickly enough (two TD's?) to Seattle's halftime adjustment. Hell, even I saw that. I said to my wife at the half, "Watch, the Seahawks will come out and Wilson will start faking the handoff and going outside where all that green, empty grass is," and sure enough, they did. Took Capers a while to remind his guys not to bite inside all the time.

The injuries. And I include Barrington's. Had Seattle maybe been able to get a defensive stop, Lynch was starting to steamroll the Packer line and linebackers in the middle. I know they had to keep guys outside, but that means the middle had to be stouter. And he was starting to eat them up. Plus, do we need to stop with all the injuries. Cripes. I got so, so angry when Boyd went down, after watching Lacey getting medical attention on the sideline. Ugh.

Nick Perry on the "meh" list. Had some good stops in the first half, but he's turning out to be just a guy.

Patler
09-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Another Stud: Tom Clements. He did a great job calling plays, especially during the last six minutes of so of the game. At 4:16 mark it was 3rd and six. He dialed up the pass to Monty and got the first down, instead of just trying to rush out the clock. It was a gutsy call, but that first down allowed the Pack to run the clock down to the two minute warning.

If only they had stayed equally aggressive the last time they played Seattle....

Fritz
09-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Oh, one more dud: Wist, for that post he made last week - like so many he's made - that claim that Dom Capers doesn't even care about stopping the run.

That run defense was pretty good for being led by a guy who doesn't even get bothered if his team gets run on and over, per Wist.

Okay, cue up Wist's explanations and excuses ("See, when he does commit to stopping the run, it works! I was right!" etc. etc).

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2015, 11:57 AM
If only they had stayed equally aggressive the last time they played Seattle....

Sore subject but truth as I see it.

mraynrand
09-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Spatial teams. yay!

http://www.g2metric.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Spatial-Analyzer-USMN-2.png

Pugger
09-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Bach was a dud.

Arvil can make most tackles look bad.

Pugger
09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
STUD: Esera Tuaolo for singing the Star Spangled Banner. Seriously, best I've ever heard it, and he has a great voice.

Gee, I would have liked to have heard that. I remember he did that a couple of times when he played for us back in the day.

gbgary
09-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Dud - 3rd Q
Stud - The other quarters

this!

gbgary
09-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Arvil can make most tackles look bad.

I think arvil was against barclay and bennett was against bach. I thought bach did fine overall.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Sore subject but truth as I see it.

I would only amend it to being more aggressive early too. Forget being cautious on the road. After the first FG, go for the throat.

Fritz
09-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Another stud: BJ Raji. That guy beat the new Seattle center like a red-headed step-child.

And I wonder if MM woulda been more aggressive if Rodgers had been able to run....hmmm....

It was hard not to think back to that game. Because you know, you just know, that had Rodgers not been hobbled, the Packers would've been in the Super Bowl last year.

Man, Rodgers is a master at sensing pocket pressure and knowing how to get out of it. Better than Favre, even, and he was awfully good.

Bossman641
09-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Rodgers made the line, actually just the tackles, look a lot better than they actually played.

He threw 16 passes while pressured, the most he has had in a game in the past seven seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information research, and completed 10 of them (including two touchdowns) because of his remarkable mobility and accuracy on the move -- yet was sacked only twice.

ProFootballFocus.com charged Barclay with 10 pressures allowed and Bakhtiari with nine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/23310/mike-mccarthys-nothings-changed-mantra-shows-in-win-over-seahawks

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2015, 02:57 PM
ProFootballFocus.com charged Barclay with 10 pressures allowed and Bakhtiari with nine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/23310/mike-mccarthys-nothings-changed-mantra-shows-in-win-over-seahawks

Both duds. Stud enough to win, though.

MadScientist
09-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Rodgers made the line, actually just the tackles, look a lot better than they actually played.

16 passes under pressure, 2 sacks and 4 runs (6 in stat page, but 1 was a designed play and I think the knee counts as 1). 22 protection issues in 39 drop-backs, and Seattle was not blitzing at all. The line is vastly over-rated and what's left of the receiving crew doesn't get open very well. If Rodgers wasn't slipperier than a greased eel, the Packers lose the game.

Stud:
Pete Carrol for trading a pick and a stud center for an over the hill TE. Both the Packers and the Rams dominated Seattle's line, but in the other week looked like JV backups against the run.

red
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
when you watch some other teams, like dallas last week before they got romo broke, you saw a QB that never had to move in the pocket. just sat there all day waiting for someone to get open

thats a good o-line

a-rod has 2 or 3 seconds on every play before he has to move. thats not a good o-line, thats a qb making our o-line look good

gbgary
09-21-2015, 05:59 PM
when you watch some other teams, like dallas last week before they got romo broke, you saw a QB that never had to move in the pocket. just sat there all day waiting for someone to get open

thats a good o-line

a-rod has 2 or 3 seconds on every play before he has to move. thats not a good o-line, thats a qb making our o-line look good

all day long the radio football experts here in dal have been saying the boy line didn't play well at all yesterday.

bobblehead
09-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Not sure where to put this, but did I see Mulumba playing some snaps at ILB? If so, stud for filling in where he was needed even though its not the position he has played his entire career.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Not sure where to put this, but did I see Mulumba playing some snaps at ILB? If so, stud for filling in where he was needed even though its not the position he has played his entire career.

He did. In preseason too.

I am a little surprised that Matthews was the dime backer. Though with the speaker helmet and calling the D, he might have to be.

Hope Palmer or Thomas gets that job.

run pMc
09-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Honorable mention to Ty Montgomery who gave the offense a lift when they were struggling.

I am on the Ty bandwagon.

run pMc
09-21-2015, 07:31 PM

thats a good o-line

I thought most QBs are coached to get rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds; a decent pass rush should get to the QB by 3 seconds. Romo isn't the runner in the way Rodgers is; I think it's something Rodgers counts on and uses much more than Romo -- and he's very effective at it. Rodgers has made a lot of hay from broken or extended plays, which puts pressure on the OL and can make them look bad. The GB interior OL is better than the tackles, anyway...Seattle's front 7 is pretty good.

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2015, 07:32 PM
I am on the Ty bandwagon.

First time in a long while I'm not nervous about kick and punt returners making stupid plays.

Rutnstrut
09-21-2015, 07:46 PM
STUD: James Jones.

esoxx
01-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Stud: David Bakhtiari, typical rock at LT

pbmax
01-12-2020, 10:51 PM
Stud: David Bakhtiari, typical rock at LT

Predicting the future from 2015 are we?

You hav taken this foretold business very seriously. Good job. Keep it up.

Freak Out
01-12-2020, 11:04 PM
lol

esoxx
01-12-2020, 11:08 PM
How the hell did this studs & duds thread pop up? I was looking for the playoff edition:lol: