PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thomas Love Fest

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2015, 03:05 PM
As reported by Vince in Josh Boyd funeral thread, Pack gets the People's Choice ILB, Joe Thomas, back. So cool when wishes come true.

Oh ya: extra satisfying to lure him away from Dallas.

vince
09-21-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm in. They were down to 3 ILB's including Matthews so something had to happen there. Thomas is only 225 or so, so he's light in the shorts inside when it comes to taking on lead blocks and stuffing interior runs but he's active and likely a special teams contributor.

Guiness
09-21-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm in. They were down to 3 ILB's including Matthews so something had to happen there. Thomas is only 225 or so, so he's light in the shorts inside when it comes to taking on lead blocks and stuffing interior runs but he's active and likely a special teams contributor.

Was he on the Cowboy's PS?

pittstang5
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Was he on the Cowboy's PS?

Yes

hoosier
09-21-2015, 04:26 PM
For some reason the expression "light in the shorts" always makes me think of Najeh Davenport.

bobblehead
09-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Yet he plays twice as physical as Hawk ever did. Mainly he will be a cover ILB is my guess. I like his game, but he needs about 15 more pounds to be effective (without losing speed).

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Losing Jordy was a punch in the gut, but in many ways the Packers have had good luck with the roster.

Josh Boyd going down to IR this week is perfect timing. They get to keep him for next year and not expose him to waivers. They probably needed to release a DL guy anyway.

Having Joe Thomas parked on Dallas's PS worked out beautifully. It freed up a roster spot for Ted to play with in first three weeks.

James Jones picked-up for vet minimum EXACTLY at time he is needed? That's some amazing luck.

They got Abberderis on PS, that's a potential asset.

Even ole Myles White is available to sign off NY Giants PS in a severe pinch. He has a lot of game experience in Packer system for a PS guy.

mraynrand
09-21-2015, 09:06 PM
For some reason the expression "light in the shorts" always makes me think of Najeh Davenport.

light in the shorts and heavy in the laundry basket

Pugger
09-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Its nice to have Thomas back but who do we cut to reactivate Guion when he comes off his suspension?

pbmax
09-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Its nice to have Thomas back but who do we cut to reactivate Guion when he comes off his suspension?

They are still heavy at DB. But I think they like Goodson on ST. Will be tough.

Fritz
09-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Was thinking the same thing - Rollins was inactive but Goodson active for the Seahawks game. They must like Goodson on ST.

And right now, we don't want to mess up that ST mojo.

IF Mulumba can hold the point of attack as well as Nick Perry, then cut Perry. That guy had a few pass rushes on Sunday, and they were all exactly the same. He gets shoved upfield, past the QB, then spins - right back into the right tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2015, 12:04 PM
There is zero justification to keep all three of Kuhn, Rip, and Harris on the roster.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2015, 12:13 PM

The Lord works in strange and wonderful ways. As a packer fan, I am sure He knows best which fringe player to smite during the Chiefs game. I'm hoping that a minor injury is in God's plan for Kuhn or Hayward, but perhaps it will be somebody else.

Maxie the Taxi
09-22-2015, 12:26 PM
There is zero justification to keep all three of Kuhn, Rip, and Harris on the roster.

Not exactly zero. TT and Stubby don't count as nothing.

pbmax
09-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Not exactly zero. TT and Stubby don't count as nothing.

Since there are only 2 TEs on the roster the Packers want to start, there are going to be five backs, 2 of which must excel at Special Teams.

mraynrand
09-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Since there are only 2 TEs on the roster the Packers want to start, there are going to be five backs, 2 of whom must excel at Special Teams.

let's get this right, said the grammar nazi.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Since there are only 2 TEs on the roster the Packers want to start, there are going to be five backs, 2 of which must excel at Special Teams.

Does Kuhn excel at ST?

The party line has been that his value is in pass protection, and as mentor to Rip.

I do take your point about balance. I'm surprised that a 33-yr-old fullback is better at ST than all the young TE prospects. But perhaps so.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Since Kuhn doesn't play on offense, can't Joe Thomas be activated instead and play ST?

MadScientist
09-22-2015, 03:29 PM

No need to cut anybody, Somebody will get injured against the Chefs and get placed on IR. With the Packers, it's next man down.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Pete Dougherty suggested in chat that Packers may play Joe Thomas in middle in dime to allow CM to rush passer. Sounds great to me, but probably too aggressive of a move to be true.

Coaches are often too conservative, IMO, and it is only thru injuries do guys like Montgomery or Thomas get on the field and play their way into lineup. A little risk-taking early in season can make for a stronger playoff team.

Maxie the Taxi
09-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Pete Dougherty suggested in chat that Packers may play Joe Thomas in middle in dime to allow CM to rush passer. Sounds great to me, but probably too aggressive of a move to be true.

Coaches are often too conservative, IMO, and it is only thru injuries do guys like Montgomery and Elliott or Thomas get on the field and play their way into lineup. A little risk-taking early in season can make for a stronger playoff team.

FIFY.

I just noticed that on the depth chart at Packer.com Jake Ryan is listed as the starting MLB, ahead of Clay Matthews, who is listed as the starting LOLB. I haven't noticed this before; maybe it ain't new. But it is interesting. Maybe Stubby's isn't as conservative as previously assumed.:-|

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2015, 04:18 PM
I'll see you Elliot, and raise you Randall and Ripkowski. Ryan & Rollins in wings.

Coaches do like experience. Armchair GMs and real GMs want to promote early and often.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2015, 12:57 PM
light in the shorts and heavy in the laundry basket

He was severely hampered. :rs: