PDA

View Full Version : Damarious Randall Is Unbeatable

pbmax
09-26-2015, 12:19 PM
And apparently a threat to Casey Hayward's continued existence.

The very flattering piece does come with some interesting facts:

Playing 75 snaps, Randall has been thrown at six times, most of them on deep routes, and three times he has broken up the pass and three times the pass fell incomplete. So far, quarterbacks are 0-for-his-career against Randall.

That's not too shabby. The fact that both he and Rollins play bigger and more press than Hayward is a nice feature.

Capers also hints at more playing time, which might mean less Hyde (who has been nickel slot DB when Burnett is healthy) and Hayward moving inside.

EDIT: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-cornerback-damarious-randall-keeping-em-covered-b99583905z1-329615201.html

RashanGary
09-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Link?

pbmax
09-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Link?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-cornerback-damarious-randall-keeping-em-covered-b99583905z1-329615201.html

RashanGary
09-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Found it. It talks about what we've all seen. He's played well. He's natural, looks physical for a corner. I'm not saying he's Darelle Revis, but he has that style of CB play, physical, just a fantastic athlete, technically sound and instinctive to boot.

red
09-26-2015, 02:56 PM
he does seem natural at CB, he also seems to have a certain swagger to him

wist43
09-26-2015, 04:07 PM
I haven't watched him much, but he's shown decent technique in pressing the sideline. I've seen him lost a couple of times, and he'll never be anything more than an ankle-biter as a tackler.

Haven't seen him back pedal; and on the throws where he's been in good position, it was b/c he was playing that route all the way from the snap. If he has to bump and run, back pedal and deal with double moves, or tackle in the open field?? He's in trouble.

I see him as being pretty limited as an outside corner, but if they continue to protect him like they have, he can get by.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I haven't watched him much, but he's shown decent technique in pressing the sideline. I've seen him lost a couple of times, and he'll never be anything more than an ankle-biter as a tackler.

Haven't seen him back pedal; and on the throws where he's been in good position, it was b/c he was playing that route all the way from the snap. If he has to bump and run, back pedal and deal with double moves, or tackle in the open field?? He's in trouble.

I see him as being pretty limited as an outside corner, but if they continue to protect him like they have, he can get by.

This is how wist admits he might have been wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2015, 11:03 PM

?? He just disagreed with the glowing reviews.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2015, 11:07 PM
he does seem natural at CB, he also seems to have a certain swagger to him

Unbeatable.

Dig that new rapt sound. Randall Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2015, 11:21 PM
?? He just disagreed with the glowing reviews.

Randall is playing well. Instead of saying he's off to a good start, he said "he has decent technique; lost a couple of times, ankle biter as a tackler, hasn't backpedaled, getting lucky because he's been playing the route from the snap, in trouble if he has to bump and run or on double moves or tackling in the open field. Limited as an outside corner, if they protect him he can get by." That is the worst compliment to a solid start to a career ever.

If it were Rollins playing well, he'd be saying "I told you guys he'd be good."

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Well, wist throws compliments around like manhole covers.

manhole. heee. heee.

Bossman641
09-27-2015, 12:50 AM

Lol, damning praise from Wist. Apparently you've seen him lost multiple times yet real life NFL QB's haven't seen him lost enough to complete a pass.

Pugger
09-27-2015, 07:36 AM
With Burnett and Richardson hobbling we're gonna need Randall to be unbeatable Monday nite.

gbgary
09-27-2015, 10:25 AM
And apparently a threat to Casey Hayward's continued existence.

The very flattering piece does come with some interesting facts:

That's not too shabby. The fact that both he and Rollins play bigger and more press than Hayward is a nice feature.

Capers also hints at more playing time, which might mean less Hyde (who has been nickel slot DB when Burnett is healthy) and Hayward moving inside.

EDIT: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-cornerback-damarious-randall-keeping-em-covered-b99583905z1-329615201.html

just what the doctor ordered in my view. good stuff.

pbmax
09-27-2015, 10:39 AM
just what the doctor ordered in my view. good stuff.

Its also good because Rollins might play even bigger.

wist43
09-27-2015, 11:47 AM

No, everything I've seen of him so far is what we saw on tape from college.

He can't back pedal, turn and run - and maybe they've figured that out and won't ask him to do that. He can't tackle, and that hasn't changed.

As for cutting off routes and pressing the sideline - he did that okay in college, but the problem there is that he has to have a running start at it, and the receiver has to stay on that route. If that happens, it makes him look like he can actually cover...

I don't like the pick, and don't think he can survive outside - unless they protect him; which, so far they have done. Eventually he's going to be exposed, and be a problem.

pbmax
09-27-2015, 01:38 PM
If he is being asked to play press coverage, as the article is stating (and what I have seen from him), how exactly are you saying they are protecting him? Are you seeing him in off coverage?

And exactly how, in Capers scheme (originally developed depending on off coverage) is that actually protecting him?

He has been the best tackler in the secondary after Burnett, albeit in many fewer chances than the other starting CBs and Hyde.

mraynrand
09-27-2015, 02:56 PM
He can't back pedal, turn and run - and maybe they've figured that out and won't ask him to do that. He can't tackle, and that hasn't changed.

Strange, I watch him on tape and neither of these are true

pbmax
09-28-2015, 11:53 AM
More proof Dom doesn't care about good tackling. http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1591909-world-s-best-preview-rookie-shutdown-corners

One of the things I like about him, and this probably comes from his safety background a little bit, is I think he’s going to be a very good tackling corner. He’ll throw his body in there, and it’s hard to find guys that can cover that are really good tacklers. I’ve seen him go and throw his body and I think he’s fearless that way, which I like a lot. You’ve got to have as many good tacklers on your team as you can get and I think the combination of his ability to cover and his ability to tackle is going to really bear well for him.”

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM

VHS or BETA?

I do my scouting on film. The film doesn't lie. I'm serious about this shit.

sharpe1027
09-28-2015, 02:04 PM

But you've only said that once and have not repeated at it every opportunity. You must therefore be wrong. I know there hasn't been a completion against him yet. As soon as a pass is completed against him, it will because he doesn't backpedal, turn and run. Mark. My. Words.

Bossman641
09-28-2015, 02:15 PM

As for cutting off routes and pressing the sideline - he did that okay in college, but the problem there is that he has to have a running start at it, and the receiver has to stay on that route. If that happens, it makes him look like he can actually cover...

I don't like the pick, and don't think he can survive outside - unless they protect him; which, so far they have done. Eventually he's going to be exposed, and be a problem.

Seeing as how Randall has broken up a few deep throws, what exactly is he doing then? Playing a go route from the snap of the ball? Completely abandoning the backpedal and just sprinting downfield?

RashanGary
09-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Still looks like an excellent rookie

pbmax
09-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Still looks like an excellent rookie

You who else got burned on a similar outside-inside route from a receiver while playing press man?

Darrell Revis versus Jordy Nelson last year at Lambeau. Route was not exactly the same, but featured similar mistake by DB. Randall took a bad step, Revis sat too deep waiting for the route to deepen and when he changed direction he slipped.

smuggler
09-30-2015, 03:17 PM
I made that same observation during the game, pb. No corner wins on every play. Not even the HoFers.

ThunderDan
09-30-2015, 03:20 PM
You who else got burned on a similar outside-inside route from a receiver while playing press man?

Darrell Revis versus Jordy Nelson last year at Lambeau. Route was not exactly the same, but featured similar mistake by DB. Randall took a bad step, Revis sat too deep waiting for the route to deepen and when he changed direction he slipped.

All I could think during the play was, why isn't Hyde the deepest player on the field up 24 points?

pbmax
09-30-2015, 03:46 PM
At least we got confirmation Sam Shields is still the fastest Packer :D

bobblehead
09-30-2015, 04:01 PM
I made that same observation during the game, pb. No corner wins on every play. Not even the HoFers.

Unless you are playing Darren Charles (or whatever the fuck his name is). Then you flat out own that bitch.

Smidgeon
09-30-2015, 04:08 PM
At least we got confirmation Sam Shields is still the fastest Packer :D

And that Damarious Randall understands angles and how it relates to his foot speed really well.

run pMc
09-30-2015, 08:28 PM
And that Damarious Randall understands angles and how it relates to his foot speed really well.

I noticed that too. Maclin is supposed to be really fast, and Shields came fro nowhere to catch him. I also noticed that Randall had a good angle on Maclin and would've gotten him if Shields hadn't first.
DBs are like OL -- the less they are mentioned, the better they are. Even guys like Revis have a bad day.

3irty1
10-01-2015, 09:06 AM

This is also the type of double move it takes a few quarters, maybe even a few games to set up, not something that can just be spammed.

mraynrand
10-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Unless you are playing Darren Charles (or whatever the fuck his name is). Then you flat out own that bitch.

Sure, but just for one game, in high school.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 11:38 AM
This is also the type of double move it takes a few quarters, maybe even a few games to set up, not something that can just be spammed.

Agreed, you must set that up by building up the deep out threat. Plus in his technique, he seems to be leveraged outside to force the receiver inside toward help.

This kid has me excited enough I hope Woodson retires before the kid is on his second contract and shares all his secrets.

George Cumby
10-01-2015, 02:20 PM
You think he could fill that Woodson role, PB?

pbmax
10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
You think he could fill that Woodson role, PB?

He's probably not that good. Not the pedigree or production in college plus the position switch. But I haven't seen a Packer corner play press in a awhile, so I keep thinking of Woodson. Even House was more bump and run, though he did press as well.

Pugger
10-02-2015, 08:11 AM
I noticed that too. Maclin is supposed to be really fast, and Shields came fro nowhere to catch him. I also noticed that Randall had a good angle on Maclin and would've gotten him if Shields hadn't first.
DBs are like OL -- the less they are mentioned, the better they are. Even guys like Revis have a bad day.

Also check out Ahman Green's!!!

http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-fastest-40-yard-dash-ever/

mraynrand
10-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Also check out Ahman Green's!!!

http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-fastest-40-yard-dash-ever/

Darrell?