PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sanders rescued from drowning

Brainerd
09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Bob Sanders rescued from drowning

Green Bay - Bob Sanders, the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers, was rescued from drowning when he slipped and fell into a small puddle near Lambeau Field after Friday's loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Craig Bagley, a security officer on the Packers staff, spotted Sanders face down in a puddle with his arms and legs flapping about wildly in an attempt to keep his head above the water. Acting quickly and without regard for his own safety Mr. Bagley helped Mr. Sanders to his feet.

Mr. Sanders was treated for minor abrasions on his arms and legs that were that were the result of scraping against the asphalt around the puddle by Dr. John Gray, the Packers associate team physician.

Dr. Gray also treated Mr. Bagley for a bloody nose he received when Mr. Sanders inadvertently struck him during the rescue.

Mr. Bagley refused further comment citing an NDA agreement with the Packers organization. Mr. Sanders was unavailable.

Zak Gilbert, Assistant Director of Public Relations for the Packers, declined any comment on the incident.
2003: Donatell
2004: Slovik
2005: Bates
2006: Sanders
2007: ?

Too many changes on the coaching staff year by year. It isn't just the DC position that changed during Sherman's tenure. The players are told one thing one year and then told something else the next year. So when the Packers play badly it must be the players.

I'm simply unable to understand why TT chose this coaching staff. I'm baffled. Who would make Sanders a DC except the Packers? Consistency in losing? So what if he's been here. He coached the weakest link on the defense so we promote him to DC. It makes no sense.

We need an experienced coaching staff that is going to be around for more than one lousy season. Who but the Packers hires a staff that has never had success anywhere. Its almost feels like a plot against the Packers. Holmgren sent TT over and Wolf said Ok so that their legacy in Green Bay would be secure.

Yeah, I know I'm calling for more coaching changes. I just don't see anything much from this staff and I don't see how Sanders will last anyway.

The bears game will tell me everything I need to know about the season.

Thank God the Pack is in the NFC North.

]{ilr]3
09-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I was really upset when they let Bates go. Just because he was upset that he didnt get the job he wanted you dont let a guy walk away if he is under contract!

I am still not ready to jump on the I Hate TT bandwagon as I like a lot of what he has done and I do think M3 will be a good HC, but letting Bates go was not a good decision. Even if they only kept him till his contract ran out it would have been easier to lure a top DC from anouther team if the D was a contender, which I believe Bates would have made the D even better this year.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
TT didn't choose this staff. He chose M3 who chose this staff. I believe Sanders (and I KNOW you'll correct me if I'm wrong) was brought in, or at least strongly recommended by Bates and was not M3's first choice. His first choice is now sunning himself someplace on the Packers payroll because he wanted to be HC. He took his ball(s) and went home. Sanders was brought in for one reason: he is the closest thing to continuity they could come up with. You can't really call for a coaching change right now. At least let the poor guy have one game that means something. Then call for his replacement for all the good it will do you.

]{ilr]3
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
TT didn't choose this staff. He chose M3 who chose this staff. I believe Sanders (and I KNOW you'll correct me if I'm wrong) was brought in, or at least strongly recommended by Bates and was not M3's first choice. His first choice is now sunning himself someplace on the Packers payroll because he wanted to be HC. He took his ball(s) and went home. Sanders was brought in for one reason: he is the closest thing to continuity they could come up with. You can't really call for a coaching change right now. At least let the poor guy have one game that means something. Then call for his replacement for all the good it will do you.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Bates was under contract. They gave him the option to leave. If M3 wanted him here he would have been here because of that. They did not have to let him out of his contract. So that makes it TT's decision does it not?

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 10:03 PM
That sounds about right, but I would submit to you that had TT not said he'd honor the contract (even though Bates didn't) Bates would have quit anyway. Might have been the first time we had a holdout on the coaching staff. Do you really want someone in there in charge of your D who's forced to be there?

Joemailman
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I always wait until at least one regular season game has been played before giving up on the coach. But that's just me. :roll:

]{ilr]3
09-01-2006, 10:07 PM
That sounds about right, but I would submit to you that had TT not said he'd honor the contract (even though Bates didn't) Bates would have quit anyway. Might have been the first time we had a holdout on the coaching staff. Do you really want someone in there in charge of your D who's forced to be there?

Good point, but a lot like todays players who will give there best effort to become a hot commidity in FA, I would expect that Bates would have give his best to do the same.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 10:10 PM
{ilr]3]

Good point, but a lot like todays players who will give there best effort to become a hot commidity in FA, I would expect that Bates would have give his best to do the same.

I'd rather have someone who will give his best because he loves this team genuinely wants to see them succeed and is honored to have one of only 32 jobs in the entire country, rather than worried about himself and always being pissed at the guy who is one step above him on the staircase.

Brainerd
09-01-2006, 10:11 PM

I agree with the take the balls and go home theory. Sad. Fritz knew he was a great DC and was satisfied. Some coaches think they can do it all and can't. I believe Bates falls into the category that can't.

If its true that Bates recommended Sanders then my conspiracy theory is gonna take flight at least in my own little mind. Bates was upset with TT and TT knew it and TT still listened to him?

Yeah, I know I'm howling at the wind. Beats blaming the players, most of whom are proven. I'm just looking for the weakest link. And it ain't the players. Favre is right. This team has talent. Alot of talent.

Brainerd
09-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I always wait until at least one regular season game has been played before giving up on the coach. But that's just me. :roll:

Some of us can see the forest thru the trees. :wink:

Packnut
09-01-2006, 10:15 PM
All I know is if Sanders believes he's gonna get pressure with this front 4, he's looney tunes. They did very little blitzing in the pre-season which I say is a fatal mistake.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I meant that I thought Bates brought Sanders with him when he did this same thing in Miami. Ok, there I would have thought that they'd have given it to him, but he was never acting HC here and was never promised anything. He got an interview just like everyone else. Sanders was already here and was promoted to keep continuity within the system.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Well said. People are ready to bounce Bob Sanders because of four absolutely meaningless preseason games in which teams do very little scheming and game planning.

woodbuck27
09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
When this season is half way over. Noone will be able to hide behind rhetoric.

The fishbowl premise applies in Green Bay. If things go as wild... bad... as OUR team has REAL potential to. The blame certainly won't be realistically bplaced on Packer Players and certainly not Brett Favre and OUR Vet's.

As Packer fans what is "the TRUTH" regarding upside for 2006?

Has OUR team the potential to decline further?

My way of looking at 2006 is this:

I want OUR Team to win a game.Then win another game. . . TC and the preseason games give me little towords making fantastic claims that we'll play + .500 football. That outcome looks preposterous to me.

I LOVE it, that Packer fans here, really believe otherwise.That's inspiring to me. Yet,where are we today?

Really BAD OL.A ZBS that isn't working and proof of that is born out of a WEAK Running Game to date,which simply translates to BIG Time losing in 2006.

My TRUST is gone. :arrow: Where is my Faith? As a Packer fan I am certainly disappointed... therefore challenged.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Buck, get a hold of yourself. This is no time to give up. Not with the season opener around the corner. This is the game they've been working toward. The players and the coaches. If it is bad, there will be plenty of blame for everyone, but it may turn out better than you expect. There's plenty of reason for hope. Think of Ruvell, Jon Ryan. (when's the last time we had a punt go 69 yards, huh? Brett's leading the team. Chin up. Stand proud Packer Fan!!

Joemailman
09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
All I know is if Sanders believes he's gonna get pressure with this front 4, he's looney tunes. They did very little blitzing in the pre-season which I say is a fatal mistake.

Sanders played a very vanilla defense in the pre-season. I think you will see more blitzing in the regular season. Just one more reason why people shouldn't get too bent out of shape by what happens in the pre-season.

woodbuck27
09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Buck, get a hold of yourself. This is no time to give up. Not with the season opener around the corner. This is the game they've been working toward. The players and the coaches. If it is bad, there will be plenty of blame for everyone, but it may turn out better than you expect. There's plenty of reason for hope. Think of Ruvell, Jon Ryan. (when's the last time we had a punt go 69 yards, huh? Brett's leading the team. Chin up. Stand proud Packer Fan!!

MJ:

Todays game nor the last preseason loss... don't add to any doom I feel as a fan of a TEAM /Franchise I've dedicated 4 and a half decades to as fan.

Living as a fan on a Forum like this one, and studying every move as I do takes me to a different place as Packer fan. I am experienced in alot that's a double edged sword. I hate alot that I see going on. It drives me batty for maybe a day -two but I always rally.

Never believe that losing a DAM football game, ever takes this Packer fan down. I hate what I see happening to good Packers like GREEN,FAVRE DRIVER, BUBBA and HENDERSON. These are my Packers.

I don't want their outstanding PRO work ethics compromised by stupidity.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, GREEN scored a TD today without putting himself or his recovery in harm's way.
FAVRE connected on an 89-yard pass and got out healthy as well.
DRIVER has lit up the field all preseason.
HENDERSON is rehabbing so well he'll be back for Chicago.
BUBBA is doing fine.

I believe their work ethics are the last thing you need to worry about. Besides, we're talking about Sanders. He runs the Defense. These guys are all on offense...

Brainerd
09-01-2006, 11:15 PM

Well said. People are ready to bounce Bob Sanders because of four absolutely meaningless preseason games in which teams do very little scheming and game planning.

People are also ready to bounce players for the same reason. Some of us have simply chosen to support proven players over unproven coaches. To support proven players who year after year have performed well. Proven players who are told something new and different every year because the Packers can't find decent coaches. Especially a decent DC.

Almost every defensive vet GB has released or has chosen not to sign has found a home with another team. Its the players fault right?

Nick Barnett, who many here want bounced, has never had the same DC since he has been in the league. Not sure about position coaches but I'm sure its probably the same. Does anyone ever ask themselves why?

Can't do anything about it so why have a discussion? Ray Rhodes lasted one season and he was 8-8. If the Packers go 8-8 this year you won't hear a peep out of me concerning the coaches. Anything less that 8-8 and I'll want the DC's head. Too much talent on defense to waste yet another year.

I simply do not want to return to the days of old. The Packers got out of their losing attitude through coaching not with players. The coaching came first and then came the players. Remember that Rison was available one or two seasons prior to 1996. He publicly stated that he didn't want to play for the Packers cause they were losers. Reggie was told not to go to GB for the same reason. There were many others. Now Javon is spewing the same crap again. Rison finally signed with GB in 1996 and was promptly booted after the Superbowl. Holmgren remembered what was said.

What self-respecting FA star would want to play for Sanders? You think Pickett and Woodson came to GB to play for Sanders?

I'm simply amazed that evaluating coaches using the same type of criteria used to evaluate players is thought of as not worthy or held to ridicule. Coaches can be fired too. You'll notice that I'm only calling for the head of the DC as of now. And recent history pretty much backs me up on that call.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Sanders was hired because he worked under Bates. Funny you should bring up Nick Barnett because he was happy to have Sanders as DC. Ray Rhodes was not fired because the fans called for it; he was fired because he was running a girl scout camp instead of a football team. Evidently Pickett and Woodson did come to GB to play for Sanders because he was the DC when they signed on. And other players will follow Reggie's example. If we pay them, they will come.

Remember unproven does NOT equal incapable. Lombardi was unproven once too. I'm kinda glad we took the risk with him. M3 did some really good things in NO, just read his bio on packers.com if you need a reminder. Let's see what he does and like I said before, if he sucks when the games mean something, I'll be right there with you, but at the moment we're being a bit premature.

Bretsky
09-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Continuity; if that is the real reason we hired him then I don't like it. I do think that's the best argument for him. I wanted the best/most talented and fiery and innovative coordinator. With all the personnell changes if we didn't hire Bates I'm not sure it mattered that much to keep things similar to last year. I'm giving the guy a chance, but be4 I put on my Packer fan glasses I didn't care for this hire.

Bretsky
09-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Good points; we have the real season to make our judgments. Rest assured if the poor Bears Offense has their way with us we'll have plenty of time to start throwing darts.

Brainerd
09-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Sanders was hired because he worked under Bates. Funny you should bring up Nick Barnett because he was happy to have Sanders as DC.
Fine. I don't buy it. What's he gonna do tell his new boss that he thinks he's incompetent?

Ray Rhodes was not fired because the fans called for it; he was fired because he was running a girl scout camp instead of a football team.
There were very few GB fans in 1999 that weren't calling for his head. Ron Wolf did hear the roar. Regardless, point taken.

Evidently Pickett and Woodson did come to GB to play for Sanders because he was the DC when they signed on. And other players will follow Reggie's example. If we pay them, they will come.
They both came for the money. Time will tell if they also came to play. Either way Sanders had nothing to do with it. Sean Jones once stated that the reason he came to GB was to play with Reggie and to play for Fritz. Reggie talked about Fritz all the time. He respected Fritz. I would like to hear similar words again from a FA about a GB DC.

Remember unproven does NOT equal incapable. Lombardi was unproven once too. I'm kinda glad we took the risk with him. M3 did some really good things in NO, just read his bio on packers.com if you need a reminder. Let's see what he does and like I said before, if he sucks when the games mean something, I'll be right there with you, but at the moment we're being a bit premature.

The previous season, the Giants suffered with a 3-9 record and scored the least number of points in the league. Within three years of Vince's arrival, however, the Giants were a championship team. His leadership channeled the talents of football great Frank Gifford, whom he switched from defense to offense. For each of the five years that Vince coached the Giants, Gifford was nominated as a halfback on the all-pro team and the Giants did not have a losing season.
Lombardi was proven. He won everywhere. M3 isn't proven. No championships during any of M3's tenures. Not even close. He headed the worst offense in the league last year. Besides I'm on the fence with both M3 and Jag right now. I'm willing to let them slide for a year. Sanders is the one who has the most to prove, or disprove. I just don't see why he was hired in the first place. Consistency? Don't buy it.

As you said time will tell. I really want to be wrong about Sanders. The coaching glut in GB has to end some time.

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 12:39 AM
I will second the notion that Woodsen came for the $$

And who could blame him. What a great deal for him that was.

ND72
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
[quote="]{ilr]3"]I was really upset when they let Bates go. Just because he was upset that he didnt get the job he wanted you dont let a guy walk away if he is under contract!quote]

donno if this was cleared up, but i read this and has to "correct" the huge mistake written here....

Bates was not let go, he resigned from coaching here. McCarthy wanted him back.