PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen to Panthers

Guiness
09-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Is this officially the earliest a team has given up on the season? Do they draft Cook or Goff?

mraynrand
09-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Is this officially the earliest a team has given up on the season? Do they draft Cook or Goff?

I don't understand why the Panthers are giving up

Guiness
09-28-2015, 04:23 PM

I assume that's tongue in cheek, but regardless

Allen's base salary is reportedly $1m this year, so if he doesn't work out the Panthers can cut him with no real repercussions. He may not have been playing well (I don't know) but Chicago switched to a 3-4 this year and tried to move him to OLB. He'll be back at DE, replacing Charles Johnson with the Panthers. He had 11.5 sacks a couple of years ago. Pretty high reward potential/low risk for them IMO.

Chicago tossed quite a lot of money at this guy...

KYPack
09-28-2015, 04:24 PM

Funny.

I almost feel sorry for Foxy.

At those pressers, he looks like a guy who's late for work and can't find his keys.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2015, 05:19 PM
I admire both teams for making a bold move that helps both teams. Allen is a misfit in Chicago D, they need draft pick more. PErfect for panthers

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Chicago tossed quite a lot of money at this guy...

Sure, but water over dam. They made best of situation.

MadScientist
09-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Well they only got a sixth round pick for him, so the Bears that shouldn't help the Bears in the future.

Nor will it help with Fox's stated goal of scoring more than 0 points.

red
09-28-2015, 05:58 PM
yeah, that 6th rounder doesn't help them much

i'm guessing allen wanted off the sinking ship, and the bears were happy to get anything in return

pbmax
09-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Spoke with Ken Harris, Jared Allen’s agent. Trade began with Allen sitting with #Bears GM Ryan Pace & discussing mutually beneficial option

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Allen knew he wasn’t a fit for the 3-4. #Bears knew it, too. Pace & Allen agreed another place was better. Allen came up with a 4-3 list

smuggler
09-28-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm surprised anyone anted up a 6th. He looked pretty pedestrian last year, granted he had some injury issues, but tbh his healthiest days are most likely behind him anyway...

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Well they only got a sixth round pick for him, so the Bears that shouldn't help the Bears in the future.

A 6th rounder counts for something. Undrafted players sometimes contribute. Getting a 6th for him (and we don't know what conditional pick they'll get) was smart.

KYPack
09-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Lets let these fellows run out the clock for us.

pbmax
09-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Bears sent Jon Bostic to the Patriots.

Bossman641
09-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Is this the earliest a team has ever thrown in the towel? I wish I still lived in the Chicagoland area and could rub in how much the Bears suck.

pbmax
09-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Is this the earliest a team has ever thrown in the towel? I wish I still lived in the Chicagoland area and could rub in how much the Bears suck.

Well, suck for Luck was already running in the offseason prior to his last college year. But its earlier than usual.

Mostly though, I think the Bears realize they need to rebuild their defense to run Fangio's stuff. Its quite a level of trust the GM has in the coaches to do this mid year. Seems odd they didn't consider it in the offseason.

Tony Oday
09-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Wonder where Cutler will go?

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Wonder where Cutler will go?
Too much of a cap hit. He's not going anywhere for a while. At best he would be released prior to the 2017 season when it's only a 2M cap hit I believe. His extension was real heavy on the front end.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Too much of a cap hit. He's not going anywhere for a while. At best he would be released prior to the 2017 season when it's only a 2M cap hit I believe. His extension was real heavy on the front end.

Actually, I think the Bears could save a little bit by releasing him prior to March 17. His 2016 cap hit is due to be 17 million (16M base, and 1M restructure bonus.) If they release him prior to March 17, the cap hit is 10M base and 3M restructure bonus. If they keep him past March 17, then his entire base of 16M in 2016 is guaranteed. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

pbmax
09-29-2015, 09:40 AM
They would really need to Fail for Cardale, because Jimmy Clausen looked like an ant trying to move a locomotive while on the field.

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 09:51 AM
They would really need to Fail for Cardale, because Jimmy Clausen looked like an ant trying to move a locomotive while on the field.

Bears are in a pickle.

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 09:54 AM
That Thanksgiving game is shaping up to be a real barn-burner. Favre number retirement, absolute demolition of the cubbies on the way to tying the all-time series. I might just stay up late to see that one.

Patler
09-29-2015, 09:58 AM
It might be worth it to the Bears to keep Cutler another year, just to allow a more managed transition rather than throwing a rookie in to sink or swim from day 1.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 10:15 AM
It might be worth it to the Bears to keep Cutler another year, just to allow a more managed transition rather than throwing a rookie in to sink or swim from day 1.

Agreed. Especially, if they think they are going to land the guy they want next offseason. Longer term, they may not want to spend the money on Cutler, but import a low cost McCown or something similar to tide them over, especially if the search for the next Jim Miller takes longer than one offseason.

Fritz
09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
You can have Jay Cutler's mom for an hour in exchange for a seventh round pick.

gbgary
09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
they traded johathan bostic (linebacker) to new England today too. bears have started rebuilding now and planning for the 1st pick in the draft (who'll be a qb).

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 05:00 PM

I'd get rid of Cutler as soon as the salary cap situation allows. I think he's become a symbol of the failure of the previous regime. The sooner you get rid of that the better. The Bears need to draft their QB of the future and sign someone as a backup. Rookie QB's are being thrown in more than in the past, and the results haven't been too bad.

Freak Out
09-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Is there a WR on the Bears roster that is worthing trading for? :)

pbmax
09-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Is there a WR on the Bears roster that is worthing trading for? :)

There is a TE. Bennett.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 05:48 PM
With Jeffery hurt, the Bears are about as weak at WR as any team in the NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
09-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Actually, I think the Bears could save a little bit by releasing him prior to March 17. His 2016 cap hit is due to be 17 million (16M base, and 1M restructure bonus.) If they release him prior to March 17, the cap hit is 10M base and 3M restructure bonus. If they keep him past March 17, then his entire base of 16M in 2016 is guaranteed. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

True. They could save a little bit if they decide that. But I think they keep him through the 2016 season and then cut him loose. Way more savings to just suck for another year while they get another high draft pick.