Jones - definitely on the same page as Rodgers
Cobb
Daniels
CM3 - he missed a few tackles but was all over the place

Duds
Bakhtiari
Defense ability to close out a game
Refs - not for any particular call but the flow of the game in general
Wasted timeouts....again - cost us the ability to challenge a 4th down that was CLEARLY short. We've seen this in 3 games now.

HowardRoark
09-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Dud:

Janis. Penalty, ball got loose after catch, looked like he was the reason Aaron called that last time out that cost is the challenge on bad spot

Bossman641
09-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Janis is a hell of a gunner but he's not ready to get meaningful offensive snaps. One of my buddies actually lives next door to him in GB. Maybe I'll push him to review the playbook with Janis nightly.

mraynrand
09-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Janis is a hell of a gunner but he's not ready to get meaningful offensive snaps. One of my buddies actually lives next door to him in GB. Maybe I'll push him to review the playbook with Janis nightly.

Ya. His first fly pattern he just let the db casually run him out of bounds. Pretty weak. At least he is decent on 'teams.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Is it just me, or does Bakhtiari seem more vulnerable to a bull rush than in the past?

Smidgeon
09-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Studs:
I'm giving Nate Palmer a shout out here. Wasn't this Kevin Greene's inside information guy? It's about time an ILB thrust into playing time isn't getting torched every other pass. Has some run defending to work on, but he gets props for pass defense.

John Madden gets a major one. I didn't really realize it until he retired from announcing, but Madden always added some nugget of information to his analysis that made me learn something about the game. He was obviously a former coach who still loved to teach.

Rodgers gets an above and beyond (for him) shout out for being so successful at catching defenses with either 12 men on the field or offsides. I don't know if there's a statistic to measure it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was far and beyond the best in this category by a mile and two thirds.

Duds:
The refs get one here. Not because they called a lot--they called a lot both ways. But the "defenseless receiver" against HHCD--a shoulder to shoulder hit--was terrible as was Maclin's first down spot on 4th and 18. The refs were just as sloppy as the teams. Luckily it didn't affect the game.

A huge dud goes to Gruden and the MNF production team. He was supposed to be the next "coach in the booth" who brought his football to another level. Instead he brings super-bubble-gum hype of such a base nature that it makes me want to throw up jelly beans and pop tarts. And I haven't had either in years. Seriously, instead of breaking down plays and telling us what is working or what they're trying to do specifically, he has an infographic about Aaron Rodgers that says "Quick Mind, Quick Hands, Quick Feet"??? What does that add to the telecast? I understand he's still a brilliant football mind, but he's a terrible TV analyst. I'll take Aikman over him any day. At least Aikman is always trying to explain why something's happening on a play. Gruden instead is flaring his eyes and showing vignettes about himself.

In case anyone didn't notice, I miss Madden.

Pugger
09-29-2015, 02:21 AM
Studs
Rodgers - enough said
Jones - definitely on the same page as Rodgers
Cobb
Daniels
CM3 - he missed a few tackles but was all over the place

Duds
Bakhtiari
Defense ability to close out a game
Refs - not for any particular call but the flow of the game in general
Wasted timeouts....again - cost us the ability to challenge a 4th down that was CLEARLY short. We've seen this in 3 games now.

But if we could have challenged that spot on 4th down the game would have been over and we would have won by 16 instead of 10 so I don't know if we can rag on the defense for its inability to close out the game. They did in the end when KC couldn't convert the 2 point conversion.

Pugger
09-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Is it just me, or does Bakhtiari seem more vulnerable to a bull rush than in the past?

When you consider who he was up against I don't have a problem with his game tonight (or Barclay's).

Pugger
09-29-2015, 02:23 AM
Studs:
I'm giving Nate Palmer a shout out here. Wasn't this Kevin Greene's inside information guy? It's about time an ILB thrust into playing time isn't getting torched every other pass. Has some run defending to work on, but he gets props for pass defense.

John Madden gets a major one. I didn't really realize it until he retired from announcing, but Madden always added some nugget of information to his analysis that made me learn something about the game. He was obviously a former coach who still loved to teach.

Rodgers gets an above and beyond (for him) shout out for being so successful at catching defenses with either 12 men on the field or offsides. I don't know if there's a statistic to measure it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was far and beyond the best in this category by a mile and two thirds.

Duds:
The refs get one here. Not because they called a lot--they called a lot both ways. But the "defenseless receiver" against HHCD--a shoulder to shoulder hit--was terrible as was Maclin's first down spot on 4th and 18. The refs were just as sloppy as the teams. Luckily it didn't affect the game.

A huge dud goes to Gruden and the MNF production team. He was supposed to be the next "coach in the booth" who brought his football to another level. Instead he brings super-bubble-gum hype of such a base nature that it makes me want to throw up jelly beans and pop tarts. And I haven't had either in years. Seriously, instead of breaking down plays and telling us what is working or what they're trying to do specifically, he has an infographic about Aaron Rodgers that says "Quick Mind, Quick Hands, Quick Feet"??? What does that add to the telecast? I understand he's still a brilliant football mind, but he's a terrible TV analyst. I'll take Aikman over him any day. At least Aikman is always trying to explain why something's happening on a play. Gruden instead is flaring his eyes and showing vignettes about himself.

In case anyone didn't notice, I miss Madden.

Clay was also a stud. He was everywhere and directing traffic pre-snap.

denverYooper
09-29-2015, 06:04 AM
When you consider who he was up against I don't have a problem with his game tonight (or Barclay's).

He did a nice job against the bull rush when they were pinned at the 2 and Rodgers ran around the end zone.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 06:34 AM
He did a nice job against the bull rush when they were pinned at the 2 and Rodgers ran around the end zone.

The result was good but he was also holding. He had his hand on the opponent's shoulder (common these days), but then when he got shoved inside, he used that hand to twist the player toward the ground as Rodgers started to move. Same kinda thing Linsley gets called for.

3irty1
09-29-2015, 06:43 AM
How nice was it to see those filling rattling hits from HHCD and Randall?

wootah
09-29-2015, 06:52 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000541910/Packers-Damarious-Randall-makes-nice-stop

3irty1
09-29-2015, 07:09 AM
I wonder how our defense would have performed if the second half wasn't basically garbage time. Its a great problem to have but it seems the defense always start hemorrhaging first downs once the opponent goes into cockroach mode.

Unlike the MNF team I don't consider 16 points down with 2 minutes left "very much alive" but I'd like to see our defense continue to smother to close out a game. Law of averages be damned, the sole focus of this coaching staff ought to be avoiding the conditions under which we left the playoffs last season. Its the long plays that allow them to score quickly that are particularly frustrating. Ideally it'd be Eddy Lacy grinding away the last quarter of every game but a defense that surrenders time consuming drives does essentially the same thing when the scoreboard is that lop-sided.

Bossman641
09-29-2015, 07:10 AM
A huge dud goes to Gruden and the MNF production team. He was supposed to be the next "coach in the booth" who brought his football to another level. Instead he brings super-bubble-gum hype of such a base nature that it makes me want to throw up jelly beans and pop tarts. And I haven't had either in years. Seriously, instead of breaking down plays and telling us what is working or what they're trying to do specifically, he has an infographic about Aaron Rodgers that says "Quick Mind, Quick Hands, Quick Feet"??? What does that add to the telecast? I understand he's still a brilliant football mind, but he's a terrible TV analyst.

Cracked me up when Gruden was going on and on about how Alonzo Harris was such a great gem found by TT..on Harris' first NFL carry

George Cumby
09-29-2015, 07:56 AM

Ankle biter!

bobblehead
09-29-2015, 08:02 AM
The result was good but he was also holding. He had his hand on the opponent's shoulder (common these days), but then when he got shoved inside, he used that hand to twist the player toward the ground as Rodgers started to move. Same kinda thing Linsley gets called for.

In my household full of Vegas transplant Packer fans its well known that I believe Bahk's greatest gift to be getting away with holding. He does it nearly every play and never gets called. He is the Richard Sherman of LTs.

bobblehead
09-29-2015, 08:05 AM
I wonder how our defense would have performed if the second half wasn't basically garbage time. Its a great problem to have but it seems the defense always start hemorrhaging first downs once the opponent goes into cockroach mode.

Unlike the MNF team I don't consider 16 points down with 2 minutes left "very much alive" but I'd like to see our defense continue to smother to close out a game. Law of averages be damned, the sole focus of this coaching staff ought to be avoiding the conditions under which we left the playoffs last season. Its the long plays that allow them to score quickly that are particularly frustrating. Ideally it'd be Eddy Lacy grinding away the last quarter of every game but a defense that surrenders time consuming drives does essentially the same thing when the scoreboard is that lop-sided.

Its design. Once MM starts counting possessions (usually mid 3rd Q with a 3 score lead) he has Dom (and whatshisname before him) go into shell, no big play mode. The result is a lot of long, somewhat time consuming TD drives by our opponents. At the same time he tends to get very conservative in the play calling. He maps it out so we are letting the other teams close the gap, but too slowly to actually win...unless something crazy like an onside kick recovery happens.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 08:08 AM
In my household full of Vegas transplant Packer fans its well known that I believe Bahk's greatest gift to be getting away with holding. He does it nearly every play and never gets called. He is the Richard Sherman of LTs.

Then he is a part of a long standing Tackle tradition. Doug Dieken used to joke that he extended his career on the Browns at LT by holding and getting away with it. He had everyone so convinced it was true that people would ask the young guy opposite him, RT Cody Risien, if he had finished lessons from the master before Dieken retired and the knowledge was lost forever.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Dud - Arod. His 24-35 "performance" dropped his completion percentage from 76.7 to 73.6.

Tony Oday
09-29-2015, 08:24 AM
So where is James Jones next year? No way we sign him to be the third guy right?

Patler
09-29-2015, 09:49 AM
So where is James Jones next year? No way we sign him to be the third guy right?

That is an interesting question. Jones signed minimum wage contracts with both the Giants and Packers, so he knows there isn't a strong market for him. He knows how fickle the NFL is, being released by Oakland after leading them in receiving last year and having a career year for number of receptions. He wants to be in GB. But, with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery and Janis/2016 new guy; will there be any playing time for Jones in GB?

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Cracked me up when Gruden was going on and on about how Alonzo Harris was such a great gem found by TT..on Harris' first NFL carry

You know Sanders was writing that name down for his pro bowl team.

Teamcheez1
09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
I know the defense didn't finish in the 4th qtr like they should have, but when I see all the bodies Capers through out there that played reasonably well, I was impressed.

Rollins, Randall, Thomas, Palmer, and Elliot. On offense throw in Montgomery and Janis. I see real potential if this team can continue to grow as the season moves on. We do need another TE.

deake
09-29-2015, 10:29 AM
So who stays and who goes, looks like some changes this week, they could use another tight end and maybe another wide out.

gbgary
09-29-2015, 10:43 AM

this! no problem with him. they got one sack. on one bull rush he had position but his feet were sliding due to the rain.

duds: refs...that's about it. maybe whoever said to start playing soft d with the big lead. don't know the thinking there. garbage time started at halftime.

studs: everyone. great game.

Fritz
09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Ya. His first fly pattern he just let the db casually run him out of bounds. Pretty weak. At least he is decent on 'teams.

Duds:

All of us fans who were clamoring for MM to use Janis to go long. That guy is not ready for prime time.

Jon Gruden, who adds nothing to my knowledge of the game. Aaron Rodgers has quick feet. Aaron Rodgers has quick feet. That Aaron Rodgers, his feet never stop moving!

And to the production crew for actually thinking it would edumucate us to know that Stephon Curry and Aaron Rodgers both have quick feet and a quick release.

Both tackles - man, there's a rusher on both Rodgers's right and left on every passing play, unless he gets rid of it thisquick.

Datone Jones, who still doesn't perform like a first round draft pick, or even a good specialty-inside-pass rusher.

Davante Adams's ankle.

Studs:

Mike Neal - he just plays hard all the time

Joe Thomas, who for a "little" guy seems to hit really, really hard. And he can cover guys, too. I say he gets the Barney Fuckdoggle Award for this game.

Mike Daniels, who finally played up to the hype he's gotten.

And all the usual suspects, Clay, James Jones, and especially Rodgers, who I am thinking now is better than Favre, better than Starr, and maybe one of the top three ever ever in the history of the universe.

sharpe1027
09-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Perhaps part of the conservative offense was that they were having some troubles protecting Rodgers. The last thing you want is an injury to Rodgers. The next worst thing is a turnover.

They were stacking the line and taking risks with run blitzes. Normally, this can lead to large plays for the offense, but the reward of a possible big play/score is not as important in that situation. It makes for a little more gnashing of teeth, but I recall them winning a high percentage with this strategy.

Would they win more or less if they took more risks? We tend to forget all the times we iced a game playing conservatively. Instead we remember the times we did not or we remember that the other team got close, even though we still won (like this week). I bet the odds are close enough that we all should just shutup and accept that MM has thought this through.

Teamcheez1
09-29-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't buy that our tackles didn't do a good job. They struggled at times and Rodgers helped them out, but Houston is a better pass rusher than JJ Watt, and yet you want perfection for 60 minutes. I think they held their own for the most part. Not perfect, but far from duds.

gbgary
09-29-2015, 11:17 AM
I don't buy that our tackles didn't do a good job. They struggled at times and Rodgers helped them out, but Houston is a better pass rusher than JJ Watt, and yet you want perfection for 60 minutes. I think they held their own for the most part. Not perfect, but far from duds.

this! again!

Smidgeon
09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Duds:

Jon Gruden, who adds nothing to my knowledge of the game. Aaron Rodgers has quick feet. Aaron Rodgers has quick feet. That Aaron Rodgers, his feet never stop moving!

And to the production crew for actually thinking it would edumucate us to know that Stephon Curry and Aaron Rodgers both have quick feet and a quick release.

Davante Adams's ankle.

First, it can't be stated enough how bad Gruden is.

Second, I came back here to say something about Adam's ankle. I know he's playing on a bum ankle, but wasn't he supposed to be a breakout star this year? Once that ankle heals, he's going to be on the dud list until he performs. Kind of like Datone.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Dud:

Watch ESPN app. Did not allow me to stream ESPN Desportes.

Studs:

Mute button.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Does anyone think that Datone Jones is useful in that he does get penetration on pass rush and gives the QB fits with a shrinking pocket? (cannot really call it collapsing, that is too high a compliment)

I am not sure if its him or the panic about Peppers and Matthews, but he seems to be an important cog in pressure, even if he is rarely recording the takedown.

Daniels is different. If Daniels gets by his guy, he is hitting the QB. He finishes more of his chances. But Jones seem to be more consistent in getting penetration.

Also on Perry. On the edge, he can bull rush like nobody's business as we knew. But I always thought it was a wasted snap to have him rush from DT or stunt inside. However, last night he walked a Guard who was ready for him right back into the pocket.

Neither guy is a world beater, but its not exactly a lost cause either.

HowardRoark
09-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Duds:

How about at the end when he was surprised they were "going to go for 2".......it literally made me sit up and wonder if he was drunk.

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 12:37 PM
How about at the end when he was surprised they were "going to go for 2".......it literally made me sit up and wonder if he was drunk.

I successfully tuned him out the entire game. That program is a penumbra of it's former self. It would be much better to have Dennis Miller back taking pot shots at the weirdos, losers, and marginal talent in the NFL. Still, that Treacle guy is OK as doing play-by-play. They just need to go with funny pizzazz or sell-out and play to the core audience, and have a total commitment to an Xs and Os guy.

sharpe1027
09-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I successfully tuned him out the entire game. That program is a penumbra of it's former self. It would be much better to have Dennis Miller back taking pot shots at the weirdos, losers, and marginal talent in the NFL. Still, that Treacle guy is OK as doing play-by-play. They just need to go with funny pizzazz or sell-out and play to the core audience, and have a total commitment to an Xs and Os guy.

How about both?

pbmax
09-29-2015, 12:50 PM
The money in TV keeps hiring execs and producers who take the special knowledge of close observers and participants and filters out specific details and complexity.

Then, left with blandness, they invent controversy and plug in inane streak statistics. Its like chicken nugget manufacturing.

Bossman641
09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Does anyone think that Datone Jones is useful in that he does get penetration on pass rush and gives the QB fits with a shrinking pocket? (cannot really call it collapsing, that is too high a compliment)

I am not sure if its him or the panic about Peppers and Matthews, but he seems to be an important cog in pressure, even if he is rarely recording the takedown.

Daniels is different. If Daniels gets by his guy, he is hitting the QB. He finishes more of his chances. But Jones seem to be more consistent in getting penetration.

Also on Perry. On the edge, he can bull rush like nobody's business as we knew. But I always thought it was a wasted snap to have him rush from DT or stunt inside. However, last night he walked a Guard who was ready for him right back into the pocket.

Neither guy is a world beater, but its not exactly a lost cause either.

I'm really liking the assortment of rushers. They all do things a little differently, and there's not a big dropoff in going to the backups. If Jones could ever learn to finish at the QB his sack numbers would double.

I saw Perry go right through the Chiefs' LT numerous times last night. He put him in Smith's lap on the Shields pick.

Fritz
09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm really liking the assortment of rushers. They all do things a little differently, and there's not a big dropoff in going to the backups. If Jones could ever learn to finish at the QB his sack numbers would double.

I saw Perry go right through the Chiefs' LT numerous times last night. He put him in Smith's lap on the Shields pick.

Did Perry rush solely from the left side last night, or did he come from both sides?

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 01:27 PM
How about both?

You'll probably laugh, but one guy who was OK with both was actually Jerry Glanville. At times, he would forget himself, and just spew out a ton of specific info about alignments and coverages and tricks, and it was good. And he would say some crazy funny things. A guy like that, totally let loose, could be a lot of fun.

sharpe1027
09-29-2015, 01:30 PM
You'll probably laugh, but one guy who was OK with both was actually Jerry Glanville. At times, he would forget himself, and just spew out a ton of specific info about alignments and coverages and tricks, and it was good. And he would say some crazy funny things. A guy like that, totally let loose, could be a lot of fun.

Might be hard to find a guy like that, and he might be polarizing. I was thinking of having two different guys, some people might gravitate toward one or the other, but at least they would be more likely to have content for everyone.

red
09-29-2015, 03:24 PM
according to PFF, a-rod was not a stud last night, in fact, they think he was closer to a dud

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/five-touchdowns---zero-interceptions---negative-grade-151428388.html

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Might be hard to find a guy like that, and he might be polarizing. I was thinking of having two different guys, some people might gravitate toward one or the other, but at least they would be more likely to have content for everyone.

It's worked before!

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/5a03d89f2c4e148a09f5f223341bb28f.jpg

sharpe1027
09-29-2015, 03:52 PM
according to PFF, a-rod was not a stud last night, in fact, they think he was closer to a dud

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/five-touchdowns---zero-interceptions---negative-grade-151428388.html

He should stop throwing to the open WRs and start throwing to the covered ones in order to raise is PFF rating. After all, he is more concerned with his stats than winning the game.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
I'll grant PFF that he can be downgraded for the pass that should have been intercepted. But he shouldn't be downgraded for the fumble that was wiped out by a penalty. The penalty is probably what caused Rodgers to hang onto the ball long enough for the fumble to occur.

pbmax
09-29-2015, 04:08 PM
I'll grant PFF that he can be downgraded for the pass that should have been intercepted. But he shouldn't be downgraded for the fumble that was wiped out by a penalty. The penalty is probably what caused Rodgers to hang onto the ball long enough for the fumble to occur.

They also make an error by adjusting too much credit to Cobb for 3 of the touchdown passes. They make the case that the throw was short of the end zone. But the play called for that, that route was open against the particular D alignment they wanted to run it against, and he hit Cobb with an accurate ball.

Its not a 45 yard bomb that lets the receiver outrun everyone, but 3 of them are worth more than average status. Its not a handoff.

SMBASS
09-29-2015, 04:20 PM
This tells me everything I need to know about PFF's, "Rating" system and why it has no value to me.

Teddy Bridgewater, graded the EXACT SAME as Rodgers.

Eli Manning +3.4 (23/32, 279 YDS, 2 TD, 0 INT)

Dalton +5.8 (20/32, 383, 3, 1)

Carr +2.9 (20/32, 314, 2, 0)

Newton +3.8 (20/31, 315 2, 0)

Cousins -0.9 (30/49, 316, 1 , 2)

Winston +0.2 (17/36, 261, 1, 1)

Mallet +1.1 (24/39, 228, 1, 1)

Mariota +2.4 (27/44, 367, 2, 2)

Bortles -0.7 (17/33, 242, 2, 1)

Bridgewater -0.8 (13/24, 121, 0, 1)

Foles +0.8 (19/28, 197, 0, 1)

Roethlisberger +3.0 (20/24, 192, 0, 1)

Payton +2.4 (31/42, 324, 2, 1)

Rodgers -0.8 (24/35, 333, 5, 0)

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Perry is the unsung hero. The guy is a solid player, when he plays. He really is. With Perry, Neal, Peppers, and now Elliott there isn't a lot of need to rush Clay back to OLB. I like how they are using him.

KYPack
09-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Perry is the unsung hero. The guy is a solid player, when he plays. He really is. With Perry, Neal, Peppers, and now Elliott there isn't a lot of need to rush Clay back to OLB. I like how they are using him.

Yup.

Perry is a one trick guy, but that stunt is a good one. He abuses both tackles and guards. If you don't pick him up square and strong, he'll run right over your ass. I hope they resign the guy.

mraynrand
09-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Yup.

Perry is a one trick guy, but that stunt is a good one. He abuses both tackles and guards. If you don't pick him up square and strong, he'll run right over your ass. I hope they resign the guy.

That's what Trgovac thinks. basically sees the guy as an OLB who is physically stout in the run game and get great upfield push against lineman in pass rush. When I mentioned the "2-4" his response was "you've seen Perry, play, haven't you?" They like Perry.

I like this coaching staff - they play to their player's strengths and/or to what's best for the team. Doesn't always work, but it's pretty solid.

run pMc
09-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Joe Thomas got completely bulldozed on at least two of Jamaal Charles' TD runs. Yes, he's an undersized dime backer, but I'm not sure I'd give him the Fuckdoggle award.

The defense played pretty inspired in the 1st half. 2nd half KC made adjustments and were in hurry up mode, but Charles was effectively taken out of the game...which I think was the goal. The refs blew the HHCD roughing call and the 4th down spot, but if GB hadn't blown all its timeouts it would've been an 18 point win. Either way, I thought it was going to be a much closer, lower-scoring game and am happy they got the win.

Also, there is no way Bridgewater played as well as Rodgers. Not even close. PFF can shove their ratings. 5TDs, 0 Ints...enough said.

George Cumby
09-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Yup.

His stats aren't going to draw loads of interest, a few sacks a year. I wouldn't think his game of setting the edge and bull rushing to squeeze the pocket is going to make him too pricey.......

ThunderDan
09-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Yup.

I thought that until last night also. On a few plays I was concentrating on Perry. He would bull rush time after time. Then, on one rush the OT had dropped and was ready for the bull rush. Perry slapped the OTs hands away and burst right around him. It would have been a sack but it was a quick slant to the other side.

KYPack
09-30-2015, 06:15 AM
I thought that until last night also. On a few plays I was concentrating on Perry. He would bull rush time after time. Then, on one rush the OT had dropped and was ready for the bull rush. Perry slapped the OTs hands away and burst right around him. It would have been a sack but it was a quick slant to the other side.

Perry can and will make a counter move to his bull rush. He doesn't do it much because his bull rush is that good. He is a force at attacking the opponents pass pro schemes. Also with Perry getting good traction with the bull rush, the offense needs some help in pass pro on him. That opens up Daniels, who was very effective up the middle. Perry was doubly effective vs Fisher the young RT who has many issues in Pass Pro. It was a bad match-up for KC and it showed throughout the ball game.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 07:16 AM
I think the Packers will need to make an adjustment in close quarters to their dime with Thomas in there. He can't man the middle alone on a run. Daniels and Raji were both outside the Guards. They clearly wanted Clay to rush some, but did anyone see Mulumba taking any snaps in the middle? He was relief there last week and I did not see him even after Ryan went down.

Reporters talked a lot about Capers throwing all the alignments in this game because of injuries. I wonder if a nickel with Palmer and Thomas as ILB wouldn't cover both Patriot like short passing and the threat of run on long distance downs.

Perry does what he does well, he's consistent and available despite pre-season dings. He will never be quick twitch like Clay or Walden, but reliable and available with a second move isn't bad either. Might even be making a contract drive finally.

He and Jones function in much the same way. Reduce the space the QB has to operate and threaten him. Then Peppers, Matthews, Daniels make him pay.

If you ever see the Colts, you can still see Walden going 100 miles an hour, occasionally going around things he should attack, but also chasing and catching things he has no business running down. I think Indy is actually please he's there. Of course, that D is struggling in a big way.

sharpe1027
09-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Wrong thread.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 09:36 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-chiefs-b99586912z1-330045601.html

Nick Perry put up 3½ pressures in 33 snaps, including a strong up-the-field sack against Stephenson in 2.5 seconds.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 12:27 AM
According to CheeseheadTV (the most trustworthy name in Dairy Broadcasting), PFF suddenly and quietly amended its grade for Aaron Rodgers yesterday.

It now stands at +0.7. Can anyone confirm?

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packing-the-stats-a-closer-look-at-aaron-rodgers-pff-grade-against-chiefs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CheeseheadTv+%28Cheesehead+TV %29

This tells me everything I need to know about PFF's, "Rating" system and why it has no value to me.

mraynrand
10-01-2015, 08:07 AM
PB, your posts are formulaic. I rate you -0.8 as a Packerrats poster.

Fritz
10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Perry can and will make a counter move to his bull rush. He doesn't do it much because his bull rush is that good. He is a force at attacking the opponents pass pro schemes. Also with Perry getting good traction with the bull rush, the offense needs some help in pass pro on him. That opens up Daniels, who was very effective up the middle. Perry was doubly effective vs Fisher the young RT who has many issues in Pass Pro. It was a bad match-up for KC and it showed throughout the ball game.

I suppose I should re-watch the Seattle game; the times I kept an eye on him on a pass rush, he seemed to try to go outside, would get pushed upfield, then spin back but get eaten up by the right tackle.

Did he do anything but that? Why was he not so effective in that game, or was he and I didn't see it?

Pugger
10-01-2015, 08:58 AM

There is a clip on the ESPN website of Scot Van Pelt wondering how in the hell Rodgers got this inane score from those clowns at PFF.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 11:21 AM
They should stand by it, defend it and then walk through the criticism point by point. Fix it in the offseason unless you see a glaring error on the part of the individual grader. Then you need to know where they didn't toe the line.

Randomly changing the grade after publishing just makes it look less trustworthy.

If they get this grade through legitimate study of tape and knock him for short of end zone throws that go for TDs (and do that for all other QBs) then stand by it. Why is this the case? How does this help separate out wheat from chaff? Do great QBs always throw into the end zone? Does he get points for recognizing the efficacy of this playcall and throw versus that defense? If the first one was just a random call, should they get credit for continuing to go to it until the Chiefs stopped it?

Is this an illogical extension of docking a QB for throwing short of the sticks on third down?

He should get dinged for his fumble-non-fumble and the near INT. Defend the rest.

Pugger
10-01-2015, 11:54 AM
They should stand by it, defend it and then walk through the criticism point by point. Fix it in the offseason unless you see a glaring error on the part of the individual grader. Then you need to know where they didn't toe the line.

Randomly changing the grade after publishing just makes it look less trustworthy.

If they get this grade through legitimate study of tape and knock him for short of end zone throws that go for TDs (and do that for all other QBs) then stand by it. Why is this the case? How does this help separate out wheat from chaff? Do great QBs always throw into the end zone? Does he get points for recognizing the efficacy of this playcall and throw versus that defense? If the first one was just a random call, should they get credit for continuing to go to it until the Chiefs stopped it?

Is this an illogical extension of docking a QB for throwing short of the sticks on third down?

He should get dinged for his fumble-non-fumble and the near INT. Defend the rest.

I don't believe he should be docked for a near INT. The only time an INT should count is when one actually occurs.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't believe he should be docked for a near INT. The only time an INT should count is when one actually occurs.

I understand, but its a conversation worth having. A QB could have a streak of near misses. Might mean he is great and is playing at the edge, might mean he is actually a currently lucky TO machine. that kinda data is probably good to have. And the score would be interesting if its applied evenly to each eval.

sharpe1027
10-01-2015, 12:26 PM
I understand, but its a conversation worth having. A QB could have a streak of near misses. Might mean he is great and is playing at the edge, might mean he is actually a currently lucky TO machine. that kinda data is probably good to have. And the score would be interesting if its applied evenly to each eval.

I think it would be tricky to implement properly. A near miss sounds like a pretty subjective statistic.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 12:56 PM
I think it would be tricky to implement properly. A near miss sounds like a pretty subjective statistic.

Targets have the same problem, but its still more info than anyone had previously.

At some point like hockey, baseball and soccer, the NF will put in systems to measure this stuff more closely.