PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco 49ers Week: That's The Focus

pbmax
09-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy here. On Quarless: Definitely challenged this week. Knee sprain. "Don't think he'll play this week."

McCarthy on Adams: "It's part of the game. ... Just got to get healthy."

MM on young guys "There's a reason why they're on the 53" and the 63 including the p-squad. Credit to players and coaches.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
McCarthy: Our young players, there's a reason why they're on the 53...Give a lot of credit to the players for buying into the program.

McCarthy on San Francisco trip: Short week. Long trip. It's going to be hot. That's what we'll be focused on.

MM on Rodgers: Playing great, phenomenal prep getting guys acclimated. "A lot of interaction in the meetings."

McCarthy: Aaron (Rodgers) is playing great football. Does a phenomenal job in the preparation phase, getting guys acclimated.

McCarthy on Morgan Burnett being out: I think the defense handled all of the adjustments that were made...Communication was pretty clean.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
McCarthy said the team has "the whole week" to make a move to bring Guion back. "Our history will tell you we will take all week."

MM on Joe Thomas, who they released but is now a key player. This year was biggest challenge getting to 53. "This is the way it worked out."

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Kaepernick last week: 9-19, 67 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT. I'm guessing they might try to run the ball. Overall, they're 30th overall in passing yards with 516 yards in 3 games.
They're 2nd in the NFL rushing the ball with 444 yards and a 4.5 average.

Defensively, they're 26th overall having given up 853 yards, with 5 TD passes and 2 INT's. Their run defense is just average, 16th overall.

run pMc
09-29-2015, 10:13 PM
They manhandles the Vikings pretty good in Week 1. I think they caught Minny off guard though. Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush are the backs and they still have Kap, Boldin, etc. They aren't a terrible team, so it's not a gimme, but you have to think Vegas is picking GB.

Joemailman
09-29-2015, 10:19 PM
They manhandles the Vikings pretty good in Week 1. I think they caught Minny off guard though. Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush are the backs and they still have Kap, Boldin, etc. They aren't a terrible team, so it's not a gimme, but you have to think Vegas is picking GB.

Hard to know what to make of them. Since beating the Vikings handily, they've been outscored 90-25. Running the football is the one thing they've done really well. They'll try to control the clock to try to keep the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

Packers are favored by 9.

KYPack
09-30-2015, 06:27 AM

Huge spread for a NFL road game.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Football Outsiders see it this way:

Unit O D ST
Packers 1st 9th 6th
49ers 29th 30th 25th

hoosier
09-30-2015, 07:51 AM
9 is too much. Packers never blow anyone out on the road. They haven't beaten SF in, what, five years? First they need to get the Kaepernick monkey off their back, then we can talk about blowouts.

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2015, 11:05 AM
9 is too much. Packers never blow anyone out on the road. They haven't beaten SF in, what, five years? First they need to get the Kaepernick monkey off their back, then we can talk about blowouts.

+1

This one could get away from the Packers if they're not smart about it and underestimate the half-assed Prospectors. They have great skill players (Bolden, Hyde, Davis, Bowman, etc.). Kaepernick was embarrassed last week and he'll be out to redeem himself. Arizona did a great job blitzing him and keep him contained, but the few times he escaped, he gashed them with his legs.

Arizona played seven DB's a lot and Kaepernick made mistakes under pressure. You have to make him beat you with his arm, which is can be very inaccurate even without pressure. The right side of their Oline is vulnerable to the pass rush. Their DL is tough to run against.

Niners are not as bad as last week and not as good as Week 1. Arizona might be the best team in the league, at least based on what I saw last week.

Smidgeon
09-30-2015, 11:32 AM
+1

This one could get away from the Packers if they're not smart about it and underestimate the half-assed Prospectors. They have great skill players (Bolden, Hyde, Davis, Bowman, etc.). Kaepernick was embarrassed last week and he'll be out to redeem himself. Arizona did a great job blitzing him and keep him contained, but the few times he escaped, he gashed them with his legs.

Arizona played seven DB's a lot and Kaepernick made mistakes under pressure. You have to make him beat you with his arm, which is can be very inaccurate even without pressure. The right side of their Oline is vulnerable to the pass rush. Their DL is tough to run against.

Niners are not as bad as last week and not as good as Week 1. Arizona might be the best team in the league, at least based on what I saw last week.

Once Kaepernick started thinking he was the greatest QB in the history of football, his skills began to erode considerably. He's still fast and can run, but he's not surprising people anymore. He's no Cam Newton.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 12:09 PM
More M3 quotes later, but for now, evidence that M3 is a better spin meister than he is generally given credit for.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
McCarthy: Jeff Janis is doing a heck of a job. Making that leap in 2nd year. Great job on special teams...Part of the flow of our offense.

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
More M3 quotes later, but for now, evidence that M3 is a better spin meister than he is generally given credit for.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
McCarthy: Jeff Janis is doing a heck of a job. Making that leap in 2nd year. Great job on special teams...Part of the flow of our offense.

I don't think it's spin, pb. :-)

pbmax
09-30-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't think it's spin, pb. :-)

I want it to be true Maxie*, but I am not sure he has made progress since last year. To be fair, it would mostly be at practice, so one game and a handful of routes don't tell me uch. He just isn't as ready as Monty.

*If Monty and Janis develop, you have a WR tandem for another 6 years minimum. Only need a 3rd wheel to handle the mid range stuff.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Bostick they say, as Ted laughs.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 21s21 seconds ago
The Packers have signed TE Blake Annen to the practice squad and moved LB James Vaughters to the practice squad injured list.

Patler
09-30-2015, 12:33 PM
What happened to Vaughters?

pbmax
09-30-2015, 12:36 PM
No idea.

But you owe us an answer to your 1 streak will continue, 2 will fail tease in the Game Day thread from the Chiefs game.

Patler
09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Blake Annen draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/blake-annen?id=2549907

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Blake Annen is the Jeff Janis of TE prospects.

Patler
09-30-2015, 12:52 PM
But you owe us an answer to your 1 streak will continue, 2 will fail tease in the Game Day thread from the Chiefs game.

Well, there were so many hyped before the game, I suppose I could just pick and chose among the many story lines and be correct in my prediction. :evil:

But, honestly, I had in mind that the Chief's streak of mastery over the Packers would continue, and the winning streak at home along with Rodgers "interceptionless" streak at home would end. With Cobb not healthy, Adams hobbling and the tackles not playing all that well, I had a feeling we would see some bad bounces off receivers as Rodgers was hurried and receivers might not be exactly where expected. I thought that might be the difference in what I expected to be a close game.

Happily, I was very, very wrong!

pbmax
09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
The interception-less streak almost came to an end twice.

Smidgeon
09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
This week my focus is on keeping my head low and my mouth shut, and then crowing like Peter Pan when the Niners lose.

I hate sports fans here whenever this game is near. They go on and on and on about how great their team is without regard to who they're playing. I just reminded them a couple years back to revisit this debate in five years to see who sustained and who flopped. Took them two years to implode and the Packers are still strong.

I love being a Packers fan.

pbmax
09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
First injury report of week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQLXVLeUsAASC3T.jpg:large

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Not bad. No setback for Lacy or Cobb. Datone Jones has all his marbles.

Patler
09-30-2015, 03:46 PM
This week my focus is on keeping my head low and my mouth shut, and then crowing like Peter Pan when the Niners lose.

I hate sports fans here whenever this game is near. They go on and on and on about how great their team is without regard to who they're playing. I just reminded them a couple years back to revisit this debate in five years to see who sustained and who flopped. Took them two years to implode and the Packers are still strong.

We have heard it time and time again.

"The (Fill in the blank) get it, TT does not."
"The Packers need to be more like (Fill in the blank) ."

In recent memory, you could fill the blanks with: Eagles, Falcons, Saints, 49ers, Seahawks and maybe Eagles again. Even the Lions and Bears seemed about to get there. In truth, many teams have found ways to be relevant a few years, but most crash hard and burn after only a few years. The Packers, Patriots and Steelers, maybe a couple more, have found ways that work for them to be relevant year after year after year.

I.m not sure yet which group the Seahawks will be in.

bobblehead
09-30-2015, 04:12 PM
I.m not sure yet which group the Seahawks will be in.

A run first team that had GREAT success traded an all pro center and a 1st for a TE that can't run block. I have made my mind up...even more so after watching Raji dominate their new center.

Joemailman
09-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Bostick they say, as Ted laughs.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 21s21 seconds ago
The Packers have signed TE Blake Annen to the practice squad and moved LB James Vaughters to the practice squad injured list.

I had no idea there was a practice squad injured list.

mraynrand
09-30-2015, 04:37 PM
A run first team that had GREAT success traded an all pro center and a 1st for a TE that can't run block. I have made my mind up...even more so after watching Raji dominate their new center.

The TE isn't giving them as much as they wanted either: 14 catches for 145 yards and 2 TDs so far

swede
09-30-2015, 07:25 PM
I had no idea there was a practice squad injured list.

The league is just trying to keep up with the Packers.

George Cumby
09-30-2015, 07:30 PM

You going to the game, Smidge?

Patler
09-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Ya, I was thinking that too, and Wilson is looking like a good QB, but not really a QB who will carry the team to victories game after game.

mraynrand
09-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Ya, I was thinking that too, and Wilson is looking like a good QB, but not really a QB who will carry the team to victories game after game.

He's got a heavy, heavy offense to carry. But the defense is still good enough to throttle most teams, especially with Chancellor back.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/141041202-pictured-nbc-news-john-chancellor-in-1961-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=Z0zsWpN2ukUDXYqF4boPJSj%2BoQNOUnSx5W5cePBHKSooCR aing97u%2F74LxX2UdGNHgRxptVT2D%2FHHXu7lCK3kQ%3D%3D

pbmax
10-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
One thing I forgot to put in the Guion story: Opponents averaging 0.75 yards less per carry with Pennel on field than when on sideline.

Guion story: http://t.co/QLnmLcWYL9

Pugger
10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Hard to know what to make of them. Since beating the Vikings handily, they've been outscored 90-25. Running the football is the one thing they've done really well. They'll try to control the clock to try to keep the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

Nine???? :whaa:

Pugger
10-01-2015, 09:10 AM

9 is too much but this team ain't anything like those teams that beat us in the past.

mraynrand
10-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Nine???? :whaa:

Did I catch a niner in there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5PG95J5GQ4

Fritz
10-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Blake Annen is the Jeff Janis of TE prospects.

So if you could make one player out of them, he'd be Jake Anis.

Smidgeon
10-01-2015, 11:22 AM
You going to the game, Smidge?

We had an opportunity for tickets, a season holder selling them, but he jacked up the price considerably because I was a Green Bay fan, and I don't exactly fancy getting beat up for liking a sports team other than the local one. Niners fans are now worse than Raider fans.

The other option would be to dress in red and cheer quietly for Green Bay in my head, but that would be a betrayal. So we passed on the tickets, and he sold them to Niner fans.

pbmax
10-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 24m24 minutes ago
New at #Packers Insiders Blog: Adams, Burnett sit out Thursday http://pck.rs/1FIHnZM

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 59m59 minutes ago
Davante Adams, Demetri Goodson, Morgan Burnett, Jake Ryan and Bryan Bulaga still out #Packers

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
Eddie Lacy and Randall Cobb continue to practice. Full participants yesterday

pbmax
10-01-2015, 01:39 PM
What happened to Vaughters?

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
MM said a biceps injury is what caused James Vaughters to become first Packer to land on practice-squad injured since Diondre Borel in 2012

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
MM said a biceps injury is what caused James Vaughters to become first Packer to land on practice-squad injured since Diondre Borel in 2012

They should have practice squad injured designated to practice latered him

George Cumby
10-01-2015, 02:17 PM
We had an opportunity for tickets, a season holder selling them, but he jacked up the price considerably because I was a Green Bay fan, and I don't exactly fancy getting beat up for liking a sports team other than the local one. Niners fans are now worse than Raider fans.

The other option would be to dress in red and cheer quietly for Green Bay in my head, but that would be a betrayal. So we passed on the tickets, and he sold them to Niner fans.

Yeah, I wanted to take my son, but the thought of getting murdered in front of my 8 year old turned me off.

MadtownPacker
10-02-2015, 10:54 AM
You bitches got it right, don't go to whiners games because you will get jumped, most likely but some cholos. I am going to try to go to the raiders game though.

PB - Fix your thread title you dipshit! They are the Santa Clara 49ers now.

MadtownPacker
10-02-2015, 10:56 AM
At work and got my Packers polo on (the coach sideline kind) and will be talking shit and taking bets from all punkass whiners fans. Fuck em all!!!

Freak Out
10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
I used to love to go to the games at Candlestick...not sure about the new location. To many crazy fucking browns killing people.

mraynrand
10-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I used to love to go to the games at Candlestick...not sure about the new location. To many crazy fucking browns killing people.

Knowing the Cleveland Browns, the shooters will probably miss

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/7/7d/LBSBeretta84F-1.jpg/600px-LBSBeretta84F-1.jpg

I think you're safe

Willard
10-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I wanted to take my son, but the thought of getting murdered in front of my 8 year old turned me off.
I'm going. I'll let you know if I get murdered. I figure I'd check out the place before our game there in February.

Joemailman
10-02-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm going. I'll let you know if I get murdered. I figure I'd check out the place before our game there in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Joemailman
10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Adams likely will not play. Burnett is a maybe. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/330399791.html

pbmax
10-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Keep you head on a swivel Willard!

pbmax
10-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 20m20 minutes ago
The 49ers rank 31st against No. 1 WRs and 32nd against No. 2 WRs

Hey, Randall Cobb and James Jones...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I gotta pass (pass pass pass now the D's really shot) right on the spot
(Pass pass pass right there on the spot)
The D's really shot
(Pass pass pass now the D's really shot)
Pass (pass) pass (pass) pass (pass) yeah!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu6v90_beach-boys-dance-dance-dance-ii-hd-video-excellent-picture-quality-live-1964_music

George Cumby
10-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Great! Have fun! And yes, please keep us posted on your murdered or still-alive status.

I like your confidence!

KYPack
10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
At work and got my Packers polo on (the coach sideline kind) and will be talking shit and taking bets from all punkass whiners fans. Fuck em all!!!

Be careful, pal.

That shit is ferreal dangerous.

HowardRoark
10-02-2015, 08:47 PM

It’s in the middle of a sterile office park type place with an amusement park right next door. Absolutely nothing to do around it and you can’t walk anywhere because they try to funnel everyone to the mass transit train via large chain linked fences everywhere; the cops don’t even let you cross the streets.

And don’t even try to contact uber……you gotta walk about a half a mile away to the “staging area,” the parking lot of a Hardees (or whatever they are called out there with those swimsuit models in the TV commercials).

I was just there for a concert a few weeks ago. Strikingly boring atmosphere around the place.

Really, really good beer selection inside however.

I think I passed Mad (or maybe it was partial, he had a Cali Life sticker in window) on the way there.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/G4TCKpK-ACY/hqdefault.jpg

HowardRoark
10-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 20m20 minutes ago
The 49ers rank 31st against No. 1 WRs and 32nd against No. 2 WRs

Hey, Randall Cobb and James Jones...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I gotta pass (pass pass pass now the D's really shot) right on the spot
(Pass pass pass right there on the spot)
The D's really shot
(Pass pass pass now the D's really shot)
Pass (pass) pass (pass) pass (pass) yeah!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu6v90_beach-boys-dance-dance-dance-ii-hd-video-excellent-picture-quality-live-1964_music

If you haven't watched yet, Love and Mercy is outstanding.

pbmax
10-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but probably should.

And this just in, 49ers likely to run a lot.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5s5 seconds ago
The Vernon Davis Contract Year encounters another obstacle; he's doubtful for Sunday with a knee injury http://wp.me/p14QSB-9S3G

King Friday
10-02-2015, 11:01 PM
For those who have forgotten Tomsula's horrific first week as Niners head coach.

http://deadspin.com/new-49ers-coach-jim-tomsula-mumbles-and-huffs-his-way-t-1680004518

King Friday
10-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Didn't get any better this week...

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/2/9442425/nfl-video-49ers-jim-tomsula-fart-mystery

pbmax
10-03-2015, 04:34 PM
He's back!

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 12m12 minutes ago
#Packers promote WR Jared @abbrecadabra from practice squad to 53-man roster. Released DT Bruce Gaston to make room.

Guion also on 53 man roster. Gaston the odd man out with Adams injury.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
Abbrederis gets his chance after #Packers decide WR Davante Adams isn't ready to return. Abbrederis has been shining on the practice squad.

Patler
10-03-2015, 05:45 PM
He's back!

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 12m12 minutes ago
#Packers promote WR Jared @abbrecadabra from practice squad to 53-man roster. Released DT Bruce Gaston to make room.

Guion also on 53 man roster. Gaston the odd man out with Adams injury.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
Abbrederis gets his chance after #Packers decide WR Davante Adams isn't ready to return. Abbrederis has been shining on the practice squad.

I suspect it also means they don't think Janis is ready to be #4.
I wonder what happens when Adams gets healthy? Will they keep 6 healthy WRs? Janis looks like he could become a real force on coverage teams, big, strong, very fast and an enthusiastic ST'er..

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Abby will be more of a receiving TE than blocking TE.

Cheesehead Craig
10-03-2015, 06:45 PM
So what's the over/under on plays until Abracadabra gets hurt? I'm going 27.

Patler
10-03-2015, 07:37 PM

So, you are confident he will make it out of pre-game warmups?

Guiness
10-03-2015, 10:29 PM

What number is he going to be wearing? Still 84? I think it might be on the high side, but I like the syncopa, I'll go with that number.

Ya, the feeling in the pit of my stomach is a I lose money on that one.

smuggler
10-04-2015, 01:15 AM
No one cuts like Gaston!

pbmax
10-04-2015, 08:15 AM
No one cuts like Gaston!

I am hoping to hear he is back on the PS. Guion, Daniels, Boyd, Gaton isn't a bad young foundation.

Pugger
10-04-2015, 08:55 AM
I am hoping to hear he is back on the PS. Guion, Daniels, Boyd, Gaton isn't a bad young foundation.

I hope so too. I doubt anyone will nab him.

Fritz
10-04-2015, 09:15 AM
I hope so too. I doubt anyone will nab him.

Well, as Christina Aguilera said, a few times he's been around the track.

But defensive linemen are at a premium.

By the way, Datone Jones needs to come up big today. He's got the length and speed to chase down Crappernack.

Joemailman
10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Abby returning punts with Hyde starting at safety?

Fritz
10-04-2015, 09:37 AM
I like Hyde as a returned. Very sure-handed. I'm not ready for rookie fumblitis.

The Shadow
10-04-2015, 10:00 AM
No Rice, no Roni (Lott). A San Francisco Treat.
Pack 27, 49ers 14.

smuggler
10-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Now I want rice...

mraynrand
10-04-2015, 11:29 AM
No one cuts like Gaston!

Gosh it disturbs me to see him like this, looking so down in the dumps.

pbmax
10-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I suspect it also means they don't think Janis is ready to be #4.
I wonder what happens when Adams gets healthy? Will they keep 6 healthy WRs? Janis looks like he could become a real force on coverage teams, big, strong, very fast and an enthusiastic ST'er..

Possible. But they also need some depth if for no other reason than ST now employs a starting WR (Monty).

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
saw this:

Green Bay Packers - Activated WR Jared Abbrederis from the practice squad. Cut LB James Vaughters. Waived DT Bruce Gaston.

Did Vaughters lose his practice squad spot? Making room to sign Gaston?

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2015, 12:30 PM
By the way, Datone Jones needs to come up big today. He's got the length and speed to chase down Crappernack.

Maybe if Kaeppernick is carrying a bucket of water.

Zool
10-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Well, as Christina Aguilera said, a few times he's been around the track.

As I say this, I turn in my hetero man card. Gwen Stefani

Fritz
10-05-2015, 08:53 AM
As I say this, I turn in my hetero man card. Gwen Stefani

They're both hot blondes. I think you get to keep your card.

Joemailman
10-06-2015, 11:06 PM

And so it is. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/330973951.html

Three days after cutting him to make room for wide receiver Jared Abbrederis on the 53-man roster, the Green Bay Packers have signed defensive lineman Bruce Gaston to their practice squad.

pbmax
10-06-2015, 11:14 PM
And so it is. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/330973951.html

Super Bowl locked in now.