PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Packers vs. 49ers

Joemailman
10-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Studs:

James Jones: 5-98 on a day where the Packers were having trouble getting guys open.

Richard Rodgers: 5-45 and a great play to work himself open for a TD.

Aaron Rodgers: Under constant pressure and did enough while not turning the ball over.

Nick Perry: 2 sacks

Mike Daniels: Good pressure. Probably caused at least 2 sacks.

Clay Matthews: 1 sack and disruptive all day.

Duds:

Offensive line: Gave up 3 sacks, at least 4 holding penalties, and Rodgers was under pressure all day.

Tim Masthay: Shank!

Maxie the Taxi
10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Studs, Lacy, Starks, Cobb

esoxx
10-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Studs: Packers defense.

13 sacks in the past two games.

Where's wist?

Iron Mike
10-04-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm gonna give Tom Clements a "stud." Haven't seen that retarded "let's run Kuhn for 1/2 yard" play on 3rd and 1 yet...

pbmax
10-04-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna give Tom Clements a "stud." Haven't seen that retarded "let's run Kuhn for 1/2 yard" play on 3rd and 1 yet...

How about goal line?

George Cumby
10-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Studs: Packers defense.

13 sacks in the past two games.

Where's wist?

UNSOUND!!

pbmax
10-04-2015, 07:56 PM

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/kuhnTD.gif

mraynrand
10-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Stud: Pencil legs. Damn if he didn't just hand the game to the Packers. What a horrible terrible performance!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/63281321.jpg

mraynrand
10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Studs: Packer fans: "Go Pack Go" as loud as you've ever heard it on the road.

Iron Mike
10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
How about goal line?

No, I'm talking about Stubby calling that between the 20s.....

Striker
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Studs
The D - 6 sacks, 196 yards of total offense allowed. Good day.

James Jones - That catch.

Coverage teams - Great day.

Duds
Barclay - Not his finest performance.

Masthay - Still in a slump.

Me - Fell for the Melvin Gordon/Murray/Williams hype. Oops.

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Stud: Abby
They said he couldn't make it thru an NFL game. Ya, he sat on bench, but without injury.

HowardRoark
10-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Stud: Pencil legs. Damn if he didn't just hand the game to the Packers. What a horrible terrible performance!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/63281321.jpg

"You ain't no Russell Wilson, bro."

KYPack
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
UNSOUND!!

The 2-4 (That everybody plays now)Sucks!

579!

How's that sound?

channtheman
10-04-2015, 10:04 PM
How about goal line?

Joe Buck or Troy Aikman a dud for acting like Kuhn is all world after he had the TD run and then later on a catch for like 8 yards. The goal line run only works because the defense isn't expecting it. Any FB in the NFL could make that play. And then oh man, he caught a check down pass? And ran for 5 yards after? How did he almost not make the team?

ThunderDan
10-04-2015, 10:06 PM
How is BJ Raji not been mentioned yet? He was a super stud, dominating the interior Oline.

pbmax
10-04-2015, 10:39 PM
How is BJ Raji not been mentioned yet? He was a super stud, dominating the interior Oline.

Agreed. Raj - Stud

mraynrand
10-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Joe Buck or Troy Aikman a dud for acting like Kuhn is all world after he had the TD run and then later on a catch for like 8 yards. The goal line run only works because the defense isn't expecting it. Any FB in the NFL could make that play. And then oh man, he caught a check down pass? And ran for 5 yards after? How did he almost not make the team?

LOL

my rebuttal: KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN!!!!!!!!

pbmax
10-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Kuhn did have to run a sizable linebacker over to get in the end zone. It wasn't just a pile to push. He put a good hit on that guy.

MadScientist
10-05-2015, 12:26 AM
They said he couldn't make it thru an NFL game. Ya, he sat on bench, but without injury.
Calling this a bit early. He could have a splinter in the butt from riding the pine all day.

From Monday's presser:

Abberderis is questionable this week. He has an ass.

vince
10-05-2015, 06:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQhyNUVU8AAOrzh.jpg

Pugger
10-05-2015, 06:24 AM

Somebody on another forum said he was in for extra points and FGs.

Pugger
10-05-2015, 06:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQhyNUVU8AAOrzh.jpg

Claymaker! Dear god! :lol:

denverYooper
10-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Looks like a tribute to the Undertaker.

mraynrand
10-05-2015, 06:46 AM

needed a picture

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/WWE-WrestleMania-31-The-Undertaker-Vs-Bray-Wyatt.jpg

pbmax
10-05-2015, 07:01 AM
How did Bach make Captain?

mraynrand
10-05-2015, 07:06 AM
How did Bach make Captain?

they made Queeg captain, why not Bacteria?

wootah
10-05-2015, 07:14 AM

I was thinking of the little girl from The Ring.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 07:38 AM
they made Queeg captain, why not Bacteria?

Man I hope they use different criteria than the Admiralty.

Fritz
10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
That's funny.

Nick Perry for stud, too. Making that contract push!!

Raji, stud. Rodgers, stud. James Jones - where would they be without him? Richard Rodgers - becoming the red zone guy. Clay Matthews - inspired.

"Meh":

Julius Peppers - is he slowly disappearing?

Donnie Barclay - he's game, but he's barely, barely passable.

The whole O-line was pretty crummy.

Timmy Masthay - shank you very much.

smuggler
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
About the only guy on the team I feel we need to replace is Maathay. Would be nice to get a LT ptospect to upgrade from Bakhtiari, but he's passable. Barclay is only supposed to be a backup to begin with.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Peppers had some nice pass rush turns where he forced CK to move into others. But mainly he cleaned up well once CK decided to bail. Its hard to avoid the grasp of three elephant types, Peppers, Neal and Jones. I liked that four man rush (with Matthews) more than the blitzing earlier which opened some holes in the backend.

Zool
10-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Isn't Perry a typical elephant-type?

pbmax
10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Isn't Perry a typical elephant-type?

Sort of. He's big and strong enough, but he isn't that long. And his best move is his bull rush. Though one of his sacks was speed based as Joe Staley sat hard inside and Perry (who does have good speed but isn't quick like Matthews) went right around him. That's a good sign.

But back to your point, even if he is an elephant on this D, he wasn't out there during the 4 man rush at the end. It was Peppers, Matthews, Neal, Daniels and Jones (subbing in). Not as much Perry in that alignment.

mraynrand
10-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Sort of. He's big and strong enough, but he isn't that long. And his best move is his bull rush. Though one of his sacks was speed based as Joe Staley sat hard inside and Perry (who does have good speed but isn't quick like Matthews) went right around him. That's a good sign.

But back to your point, even if he is an elephant on this D, he wasn't out there during the 4 man rush at the end. It was Peppers, Matthews, Neal, Daniels and Jones (subbing in). Not as much Perry in that alignment.

This makes sense. Perry is out there to spell Peppers mostly on the obvious run plays, it seems to me (I didn't add up the SF numbers). Dude just puts in the time and does a lot of dirty work. That's why I was so excited he picked up a sack. he's the unassuming lunch pail guy on the Packers.

Oh it's the Meek...blessed are the Meek! That's nice, I'm glad they're getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time.

run pMc
10-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Claymaker! Dear god! :lol:

LOL yeah CM3 looks like he's in a death metal band, and of course A-Rod with the photobomb.

Zool
10-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Interesting. He's listed as the same height as Neal but 3 pounds heavier.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Interesting. He's listed as the same height as Neal but 3 pounds heavier.

I would not have guessed that from the way they play, but now that you write it, I do remember being surprised about Neal's height before.

Maybe elephant designation wasn't the best way to qualify that package. I mainly meant that outside of Matthews (who has missed CK as much as he has caught him in other games), Jones, Peppers and Neal seem to be able to catch Colin in the middle of the pocket when he flushes forward. I like that lineup against him.

Bossman641
10-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Shields has been a stud lately. After struggling against Chicago his play has been phenomenal. I believe this was the second game where he didn't give up a reception (Seattle was the first). Has a pick in 2 straight games and he's been pretty aggressive with his tackling.

Fritz
10-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I would not have guessed that from the way they play, but now that you write it, I do remember being surprised about Neal's height before.

Maybe elephant designation wasn't the best way to qualify that package. I mainly meant that outside of Matthews (who has missed CK as much as he has caught him in other games), Jones, Peppers and Neal seem to be able to catch Colin in the middle of the pocket when he flushes forward. I like that lineup against him.

I wonder if that lineup can catch Russell Wilson.

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Shields has been a stud lately. After struggling against Chicago his play has been phenomenal. I believe this was the second game where he didn't give up a reception (Seattle was the first). Has a pick in 2 straight games and he's been pretty aggressive with his tackling.

No doubt, and Randall looks like the real deal. Where's Wist? I'm sure his vacation will end soon after the Packers lose a game.

mraynrand
10-06-2015, 01:40 PM
No doubt, and Randall looks like the real deal. Where's Wist? I'm sure his vacation will end soon after the Packers lose a game.

You are appropriately cynical. repped.

ThunderDan
10-06-2015, 01:53 PM

He did show up for a post or two after SEA took the lead against the Packers in the game day thread.

mraynrand
10-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Wist is the classic Foul Weather Fan. He shows up to vent and criticize:

I think every Packer fan knows dunderdummy is going to cough up a hairball... the Seachickens really have gotten the better of our defense, but they've shot themselves in the foot enough on offense, that the game is close.

It's entirely possible that this 2nd half gets very ugly...

We getting dominated on both sides of the ball now...

Without our secret weapon not working (getting them to jump offside) we can't control their defensive front - and on offsense?? Well, dunderdummy is our DC...

Looks bleak

It's over, lol...

Wilson is going to rake up 500 yds in the 2nd half... we're right back to the end of the NFCCG.

Can we fire Dom now??

That coverage wasn't bad?? Are you blind??

No wonder you love Dom... you think 'that' was good coverage??

nag, nag, nag!!

call_me_ishmael
10-06-2015, 10:57 PM
When does Rollins get some snaps in the slot? If he is solid, I don't think Hayward is back. They can't pay everyone and it's clear Raji and Daniels are going to get big contracts - hopefully here.

Never would have guessed that a few years ago. Hayward was a stud but he seems to have regressed a bit.

pbmax
10-06-2015, 11:04 PM
When does Rollins get some snaps in the slot? If he is solid, I don't think Hayward is back. They can't pay everyone and it's clear Raji and Daniels are going to get big contracts - hopefully here.

Never would have guessed that a few years ago. Hayward was a stud but he seems to have regressed a bit.

Well, Guion did save them some money this offseason.

3irty1
10-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Wist is the classic Foul Weather Fan. He shows up to vent and criticize:

nag, nag, nag!!

I think there might be a nugget of truth to wists hyperbolic criticisms of Capers. MM handing off the play calling duties to focus on other stuff might be responsible for some of the defensive improvement. The Mad scientist Capers might be the big picture bean-counter type of general you want coordinating logistics and moving the chess pieces but MM is more the general you want on the field the day of your offensive to make sure its executed. Despite having the same old excuses of injuries forcing us to play a young cast of unprovens it seems like they are playing more assignment sure ball with less mental mistakes.

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Good post 31. That may be true. Still capers is no Lt. Dyke.

I haven't run numbers on it but third downs still seem problematic. I bet the packers don't do so well on third and long percentages. That's a guess.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 12:57 PM
I think there might be a nugget of truth to wists hyperbolic criticisms of Capers. MM handing off the play calling duties to focus on other stuff might be responsible for some of the defensive improvement. The Mad scientist Capers might be the big picture bean-counter type of general you want coordinating logistics and moving the chess pieces but MM is more the general you want on the field the day of your offensive to make sure its executed. Despite having the same old excuses of injuries forcing us to play a young cast of unprovens it seems like they are playing more assignment sure ball with less mental mistakes.

I dunno about that. The two big things to come out of last year's M3 input was the 4-3 and NASCAR. The 4-3 was kaput by Week 4 and NASCAR has had its best showings this year.

I don't think M3 makes too many game day calls about alignment or personnel. I think he is more about making that Defense smarter about offense and utilizing multiple personnel.

3irty1
10-07-2015, 02:46 PM
I dunno about that. The two big things to come out of last year's M3 input was the 4-3 and NASCAR. The 4-3 was kaput by Week 4 and NASCAR has had its best showings this year.

I don't think M3 makes too many game day calls about alignment or personnel. I think he is more about making that Defense smarter about offense and utilizing multiple personnel.

I'm not talking about improvement from X's and O's. I'm talking about guys screwing up less. Less two guys going into the same gap, less overpursuit, less blown coverages, less shitting their pants at misdirection, more communication etc.

These days everyone has a fixed amount of practice time set by the CBA so its got to be a challenge to get these meatheads to achieve a higher level of preparation than their competition. Coaches like MM willing to challenge everything and reorganize the practices, meeting rooms, and gameday management seems like next level stuff to me. We've known for years he can put together a gameplan and get an offense to run with precision, my theory is that his delegating playcalling duties and preparation frees him up to leverage those organizational skills on defense as well which is why they seem more disciplined.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2015, 03:18 PM
IMO I think giving up playcalling is working out big time. Clements is doing a great job with Arod, so Stubby ain't missed there. But I do notice that Stubby seems to be into the game more this year. I think he's able to see things happening, relay the info and I get the sense he's not married to the playcalling strategery like he was in years past. It's kind of like he's able to see the forest this year.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm not talking about improvement from X's and O's. I'm talking about guys screwing up less. Less two guys going into the same gap, less overpursuit, less blown coverages, less shitting their pants at misdirection, more communication etc.

These days everyone has a fixed amount of practice time set by the CBA so its got to be a challenge to get these meatheads to achieve a higher level of preparation than their competition. Coaches like MM willing to challenge everything and reorganize the practices, meeting rooms, and gameday management seems like next level stuff to me. We've known for years he can put together a gameplan and get an offense to run with precision, my theory is that his delegating playcalling duties and preparation frees him up to leverage those organizational skills on defense as well which is why they seem more disciplined.

Ah, then I am with you. M3 loves a schedule and an agenda for a meeting or practice. :lol:

Joemailman
10-07-2015, 04:20 PM

I haven't run numbers on it but third downs still seem problematic. I bet the packers don't do so well on third and long percentages. That's a guess.

Packers defense 3rd down pct is 41%, which is 18th. St. Louis is the same. They started out poorly against the Bears, but have done well since then. Opponents 3rd down conversions have been 11-17, 3-9, 2-10, 4-13.

pbmax
10-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Here is what Capers spent part of his offseason doing. Streamlining his D calls. I could easily see this as work that M3 encouraged. Its been broached before about having to adapt young players to this defense because of Ted's approach to player personnel versus the Steelers approach and Dick LeBeau's preference for vets.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/dom-capers-using-brand-new-play-calls-to-simplify-the-defense-b99591848z1-331183831.html

"Nah," Thomas said, drawing out the word for emphasis. "Dom really simplified everything for us this year. It's really easy for me to come back and pick up where I left off."

The result, according to Hayward, was a significant reduction in the number of missed assignments and mental errors by the defense during training camp. "An all-time low," he said.

The second item on Capers' revision list was always going to be more difficult as it involved the creation and installation of a brand-new defensive language. Gone were the lengthy play calls whose titles featured as many as six or seven words each — plus contingencies, which we will get to later — and in their place would be a system featuring one or two words per play and an accompanying hand signal.

"It takes time to say, 'Eagle Wide Open Me Special Seven,'" Capers said with a smile. "To where now you have a one-word term. Those guys all know the one-word code terms."

Man, I hope they keep the new guy at JSO.

Maxie the Taxi
10-08-2015, 12:07 PM
It's funny...almost. A lot of us around here have been calling for the KISS principle for a year or two, ever since defensive breakdowns were blamed on communication problems. Now it's done. Good.

I tend to think this was another fruit of Stubby's decision to give up playcalling and concentrate on the overall big picture? Which, by the way, a lot of us were adamant about for a long time too.

George Cumby
10-08-2015, 12:53 PM
This begs the question, which of us is actually Ted, Stubby or SPH incognito?

Fritz
10-08-2015, 01:19 PM
It's funny...almost. A lot of us around here have been calling for the KISS principle for a year or two, ever since defensive breakdowns were blamed on communication problems. Now it's done. Good.

I tend to think this was another fruit of Stubby's decision to give up playcalling and concentrate on the overall big picture? Which, by the way, a lot of us were adamant about for a long time too.

From the JSO article:

"It takes time to say, 'Eagle Wide Open Me Special Seven,'" Capers said with a smile. "To where now you have a one-word term. Those guys all know the one-word code terms."

You know, in my dreams when Drew Barrymore looks up at me from the bed and says "Eagle Wide Open Me, Special Seven," I know exactly what she means. No need to dumb that down.

pbmax
10-08-2015, 01:20 PM

My guess is that they have simplified before, if only for young starters.

However, rebuilt the communication is probably linked to M3 pushing Capers to consider the new workings of offense.

Bossman641
10-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Correct, with a bit of a caveat

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13834172/defense-put-packers-top-nfl

Those scrambles are connected to the biggest weakness of Green Bay's defense so far: getting off the field on third downs. According to DVOA, the Packers have been the best defense in the NFL on first downs and rank ninth overall on second downs. But they fall to 30th on third downs, mostly because of their inability to get off the field on third and long.

The average offensive play on third-and-7-or-more gains 6.5 yards. Green Bay has allowed a 9.1-yard average -- and 10 conversions on 28 tries -- on such plays.

But that might be an outlier. All of those conversions have come with the Packers in the lead, and all but one came in the second half.

Hopefully the defense tightening the screws against SF was a sign of things to come