PDA

View Full Version : Peripatetic Rams Week

pbmax
10-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Gregg Williams is the warrior philosopher.

Offensive Line Bonus

The much-maligned Rams offensive line helped Todd Gurley rush for 146 yards while allowing the Cardinals to sack Nick Foles only once. The Cardinals blitzed early and often, and while the Rams line reminded no one of the 1992 Cowboys, they picked up blitzers well and made the Cardinals pay for their aggression.

So let's hear it for Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown, Tim Barnes, Rodger Saffold and Rob Havenstein. That's two rookies (Brown and Havenstein) and the second-year Robinson. Maybe more games like this are coming.

Maxie reported that the Cardinals shut down the 49ers previously with a controlled, lane-cognizant four man rush. Why were they going after Nick Foles?

Former Badger Havenstein moved former first round pick Saffold inside. But Havenstein can be had on the pass rush.

Tony Oday
10-05-2015, 10:38 AM
What defense do the Rams run? If they use two Safeties deep we need to have over 150 on the ground to win.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM
What defense do the Rams run? If they use two Safeties deep we need to have over 150 on the ground to win.

They run a multiple scheme defense. Personnel is 4-3, but Williams concocts blitzes from everywhere, from over load to zone blitz.

Hard to say what they will try to do. As tempting as it is to blitz an O line that had a bad performance (Sitton had 2 holding calls), I think they try to rush with their very good front 4.

Tony Oday
10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
If they can get pressure with their front 4 we need our D to REALLY step up!

Pugger
10-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Our tackles have struggled all season but I hope yesterday's performance by our interior linemen was just a bad day and not a sign of things to come. :sad:

MadScientist
10-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Our tackles have struggled all season but I hope yesterday's performance by our interior linemen was just a bad day and not a sign of things to come. :sad:

But we have this great offensive line, and it's coached by Campen. How could they possibly be playing poorly.

Patler
10-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Yet, a week ago Barclay mostly shutout the guy who had 22 sacks in 2014. Sure, Rodgers sometimes covers up their failures, but a QB who likes to move around as much as Rodgers does to extend plays can make it difficult for tackles too, because they aren't sure where he is. I think we are fortunate to have Barclay as a backup, he isn't supposed to start. No one will confuse him for a pro bowl player, but I bet there are at least a couple teams that could be improved by having Barclay as one of their starters.

Bakhtiari is no Chad Clifton, and his holding calls are getting tiresome; but they have had worse than him out there too.

hoosier
10-05-2015, 01:52 PM
You guys (and gals) are spoiled.

3irty1
10-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Its hard to be scared of anything when the game is in Lambeau but the Rams are pretty much built to be spoilers. They have a way of dragging good teams down to their level and letting bad teams hang around so everything is a close game.

I wouldn't want to play them on the road. It'd be a bit like having another Denver on the schedule.

Tony Oday
10-05-2015, 02:13 PM
I would rather have a couple of holding calls than AR getting planted.

Upnorth
10-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Outside of Chicago to open it feels like every game is against a tough defense. This oline has been tested and has done fairly well. I do think that the rams have the leagues best d line.

Patler
10-05-2015, 02:34 PM

Sure, but I would rather have a tackle that doesn't get himself in that predicament quite as often as Bakhtiari does.

Tony Oday
10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Sure, but I would rather have a tackle that doesn't get himself in that predicament quite as often as Bakhtiari does.

Not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We didn't spend a high pick or a lot of cash on Bahktari so you get what you get.

Cheesehead Craig
10-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Peripatetic Adj: Aristotelian

Often used to mean itinerant, wandering, meandering, or walking about. Aristotle was prone to walking about while teaching, thus the term.

This word from pb's word of the day calendar was brought to you by the letter W and the number 5.

Joemailman
10-05-2015, 05:27 PM
But we have this great offensive line, and it's coached by Campen. How could they possibly be playing poorly.

They're best Tackle is out with an injury. The other Tackle is trying to play through an injury. And sometimes good offensive lines have a bad day.

Patler
10-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We didn't spend a high pick or a lot of cash on Bahktari so you get what you get.

I said he was better than some they have run out there. I'm defending the tackles more than complaining about them, but I won't be blind to their shortcomings either. We should want and try to get better than Bakhtiari and Barclay, because they are nothing special. Even though OT's don't grow on trees, there are better ones; the trick is getting one. But, until and unless they get one who is better, they certainly can get by with what they have

In a perfect world, all of out 1st round picks on OL, DL/LB for a few years there would have netted more than a single pro-bowler. So yes, you get what you get, whether it is a high pick or a low pick.

Rutnstrut
10-05-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm afraid the Rams D-line will dominate the Packers O-line, especially if the Pack's line plays like they did against the Niners. It will also be a challenge for the D-line to stop Gurley, and should show just how good the run D is.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Peripatetic Adj: Aristotelian

Often used to mean itinerant, wandering, meandering, or walking about. Aristotle was prone to walking about while teaching, thus the term.

This word from pb's word of the day calendar was brought to you by the letter W and the number 5.

Most often used in modern usage to describe Larry Brown, the well-traveled basketball coach.

pbmax
10-05-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm afraid the Rams D-line will dominate the Packers O-line, especially if the Pack's line plays like they did against the Niners. It will also be a challenge for the D-line to stop Gurley, and should show just how good the run D is.

Being at home always helps the O line. I was mist surprised by Sitton's two holds. He never gets penalized.

Rutnstrut
10-06-2015, 12:45 AM
Being at home always helps the O line. I was mist surprised by Sitton's two holds. He never gets penalized.

Seems like the whole O-line had the yipps on Sunday.

Pugger
10-06-2015, 12:50 AM

Absolutely. We lose #12 and we are basically screwed.

Joemailman
10-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Packers favored by 9.5. That's a gig point spread against a team that has beaten Seattle and Arizona.

hoosier
10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Gig indeed. But the spread against the Niners seemed awfully large and they managed to cover that. If the defense doesn't take the day off the Packers should win by 10.

smuggler
10-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Yeah. We had some trouble with the 49ers, but that was a road game. If this game were in St Louis it could look a lot like last season's Buffalo game. Thankfully, it's not. But, it will probably be a grind regardless. StL might pull it off. Just gotta get out of this one with no new injuries.

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
You guys (and gals) are spoiled.

And loving it!

Rutnstrut
10-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Yeah except they had holding penalties and Rodgers got hit, not good at all.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Rams offense has scored well against Seattle and Arizona and been baffled by Pittsburgh and Washington.

Nothing about that makes sense except Special Teams.

hoosier
10-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Rams offense has scored well against Seattle and Arizona and been baffled by Pittsburgh and Washington.

Or maybe Foles's limited recognition ability? (I'm assuming Pittsburgh still uses some variation of the LeBeau zone blitz.)

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2015, 03:06 PM

I watched the Rams/Steelers until Big Ben got hurt. Bad news is, Rams should have won that game IMO. They had a lot of dropped passes and dropped interceptions. I didn't notice anything special about either of the special teams.

Rams front four is definitely great. They get pressure with four that other teams get with blitzing a LB or two. In the second half, the Rams came out blitzing and got to Ben big time. On the play he was hurt, the Rams rushed five.

On the other side of the ball, Foles threw mainly short. They like to get the ball to Austin in space; Britt too. Austin is a player. Tough to tackle, quick and fast too. No need for the Pack to go blitz happy IMO. Just keep steady pressure on Foles in the pocked. The guy has a quick release though and can get the ball downfield. On one of the few times he tried it, Kendricks dropped the ball.

Both teams played a lot of New England Billy Ball. Big Ben connected deeper a couple of times on slants (this is where we'll miss Jordy big time), but mostly Ben was throwing quick over the middle on quick pitches to Bell and the TE. Rams LB's are very active and cover a lot of ground...good tacklers too.

The Pack better tackle. All the Rams RB's are tough to bring down. Tre Mason is quick and runs hard. Last week Gurley had a breakout game, though he was held in check by the Steelers. Cunningham is a slasher. They ran Cunningham and Austin out of the backfield a couple times.

Rams front four just didn't give Big Ben time to throw downfield. The time he did it was an easy pick. They're pretty tough to run against too.

If it were up to me, I'd give them a heavy dose of Lacy to start. I don't know if Arod will be able to buy time in this one by running outside the pocket. Jones and Cobb should be open underneath for quick throws. I would bet Monty has a break out game. It just seems like his game is suited to Rams defense. And DickRod might be key, especially in the red zone.

Oh yeah, and watch for special teams trick plays. Fisher's not shy about running them. Against the Steelers, they had a guy wide open on a fake punt, but it was poorly thrown.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Wasn't Gurley's first game post-injury last week?

pbmax
10-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Here that sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vna4AAC1bdE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
New from JS: Bulaga says first day back went well, will work in pads Thursday http://ift.tt/1JThBwP #Packers

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Nope. He had a six carries for nine yards vs Steelers, plus he caught one pass for five yards. I didn't see Rams last week, but Gurley to me didn't seem the same RB I saw at Georgia.

Patler
10-07-2015, 04:34 PM

He was inactive the first two weeks, then had 6 carries (9 yards) against the Steelers.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h1 hour ago
#Packers got encouraging news with Bryan Bulaga practicing on limited basis today, but Davante Adams and Morgan Burnett did not participate.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
Wide receivers Randall Cobb (shoulder) and James Jones (hamstring) were limited participants in practice today.

JONES HAD A HAMMY LAST WEEK TOO

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
Clay Matthews shows up on the #Packers injury report. He was full participation with a quad. Bulaga limited. Adams, Burnett, DNP

Bryan Bulaga (knee) and Demetri Goodson (hamstring) were also limited participants.

#Packers injury report:

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13
WR Davante Adams, DNP, S Morgan Burnett, DNP, LB Jake Ryan, DNP

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 30m30 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers - NFL's most aggressive QB on 3rd down w/1-9 yards to go, but surprisingly conservative on 3rd-and-10+ http://es.pn/1jO1ueY

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4h4 hours ago
Besides Bulaga, CB Demetri Goodson returned also. WR Davante Adams, S Morgan Burnett and LB Jake Ryan still out.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4h4 hours ago
Bulaga had a brace on his left knee under his sweatpants. No brace on the right knee.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 05:25 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2644cf40c2ad0d0c48b3ebcc37a12561e37d0718/c=0-47-1999-1550&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2015/10/04/WIGroup/PackersNews/635795926920669417-GPG-ES-Packers-vs-49ers-10.4.1501698.jpg

Sam, I'd like you to stop by the house tonight. Would love to have you for dinner.

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Nope. He had a six carries for nine yards vs Steelers, plus he caught one pass for five yards. I didn't see Rams last week, but Gurley to me didn't seem the same RB I saw at Georgia.

Is that your final answer...or your formal answer? 'Cause I just want to know.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 05:30 PM
The Packers also have inserted second-round pick Quinten Rollins in the slot for 20 snaps the past two weeks, leaving either Hayward or Randall to patrol outside based on matchups. Capers has used nearly all of his active defensive personnel the past two weeks, including Sunday’s 17-3 win over San Francisco.

Rollins getting some active-duty training in the slot.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/10/06/emphasis-versatility-paying-off/73477406/

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 05:31 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2644cf40c2ad0d0c48b3ebcc37a12561e37d0718/c=0-47-1999-1550&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2015/10/04/WIGroup/PackersNews/635795926920669417-GPG-ES-Packers-vs-49ers-10.4.1501698.jpg

Sam, I'd like you to stop by the house tonight. Would love to have you for dinner.

Guinan: Let's eat Sam

Shileds: What's that you said?

Guinan: Let's eat, Sam. :wink:

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2015, 05:57 PM

I'll let you know Sunday about 3 PM. :-)

pbmax
10-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Fisher on Rodgers: http://wp.me/p14QSB-9SmA

An air horn.

“That’s just a message to the D-line on the hard count,” Fisher told reporters on Wednesday. “No one uses the hard count better than Aaron. And everybody week after week, you’ll read clips and things and all the defensives work against it. ‘We were ready for it.’ He pulls them offsides two or three times a game. So, I woke them up in their meeting room this morning with the horn, just to send a message.”

What did the defensive linemen think of hearing the air horn in the meeting room?

“[S]some were pissed,” Fisher said. “It scared them.”

Compared to other mobile Quarterbacks?

“Well, he’s different from Russell from a standpoint that he’s just a little bit taller,” Fisher said of Rodgers. “He can see. So, if you keep him in the pocket, he’s going to hurt you in the pocket. At times, Russell will lose track of what’s going on down the field and take off. [Rodgers] will beat you with his legs and his arm. But you just have to change things up as best you can and challenge their receivers.”

Fritz
10-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Per the JSO's McGinn assessment of the Rams, and this thread, the Rams are a scary team to have to play. I thought the KC game was going to be the tough one, but maybe it's this one.

My scrotum shrivels with every word I read.

mraynrand
10-08-2015, 05:10 PM
My scrotum shrivels with every word I read.

You need this thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28164-TLC-Evening-Schedule-Insert-_____-(joke-or-other)-here

pbmax
10-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Nice read with pics and motion pictures about how Dom finally bested the read option of Kaepernick.

Involved a lot of Cover 0, which is great unless Tramon gets beat deep and surrenders a score in one on one coverage and 0 safety help. But against Kap, there was less concern.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/how-dom-capers-was-able-to-redeem-himself-against-the-49ers

Great example of Ha-Ha getting out of his gap and then recovering to the playside A gap.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/sites/default/files/post/2015/10/1355_3rd_q_at_sf_wide.gif

red
10-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Why are we on CBS this week when we're playing another nfc team?

Not that I'm complaining, just weird

Fritz
10-09-2015, 06:01 AM

I agree completely. What the hell has changed? There seem to be a changed set of rules, or maybe no rules. But I am not complaining if it means I get to see the Packers on TV despite living here in Detroit.

Bossman641
10-09-2015, 06:31 AM

I noticed that as well. Apparently it's part of the new TV deal somehow, cross-flexing is what they call it.

run pMc
10-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Look on the brightside: no Buck and Aikman.

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2015, 07:15 AM

Word.

pbmax
10-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. Not too shabby.

Fritz
10-09-2015, 08:17 AM
I am hopeful it will be on, but I also think this will be a very tough game. Man, that offensive line better be better protecting Aaron Rodgers this week.

My guess is that Adams and Burnett will be out again, and probably next week as well. Bulaga could be in if his knee hasn't swollen up too much and if he's knocked enough rust off.

Jake Ryan will be missed on ST again.

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. Not too shabby.

Dan Fouts is fantastic. Nobody better, IMO.

KYPack
10-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Dan Fouts is fantastic. Nobody better, IMO.
You got it CC.

Dan gives great football insights without the stupid hyped bullshit.

How in the F Buck and Aikman got to be the #1 team is beyond me.

red
10-09-2015, 08:58 AM

First thing I thought too

Fritz
10-09-2015, 09:29 AM
You got it CC.

Joe of course used his father's great name to get into the business. He had a lot more media contacts when he was still shitting his diapers than everybody on this board put together.

But how they got to be the number one team, I dunno. Maybe, I think, insight and information is just not valued.

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2015, 09:32 AM
You got it CC.

I remember a game Fouts did back on MNF. There was a play where a big blitz was picked up and the QB threw a crossing route pass that went for huge yards. Immediately after the play, he said he wanted to show the OL because they made the play. He had the film come up from the OL and showed how the RB picked up the blitzing LB and the OL handled the rush (there were some stunts) and everyone just did their job. He acknowledged the proper read by the QB and great run after the catch but said that the whole play was because of the pass protection and did 90% of his analysis from that. THAT was brilliant. Didn't do the whole Gruden over the top hype crap about a "brilliant QB" or "phenominal WR" who are "at the top of their game". He simply just analyzed.

pbmax
10-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
McCarthy: So far so good with Bulaga. Translation: Sounds like he'll be starting Sunday. Doesn't sound good for Burnett and Adams. #Packers

pbmax
10-09-2015, 09:56 AM
I am hopeful it will be on, but I also think this will be a very tough game. Man, that offensive line better be better protecting Aaron Rodgers this week.

My guess is that Adams and Burnett will be out again, and probably next week as well. Bulaga could be in if his knee hasn't swollen up too much and if he's knocked enough rust off.

Jake Ryan will be missed on ST again.

Unless you live in the one county in Michigan that is getting Browns-Ravens, you have a good shot.

http://506sports.com

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/gb_stl.png

mraynrand
10-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Dan gives great football insights without the stupid hyped bullshit..

Fouts called the Instant Replay game (Majkowski to Sharpe), and got the call right before anyone else.

mraynrand
10-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Gosh I wonder why Oregon got Buffalo at Tennessee?? :cnf:

:lol: :lol:

It's all about the QB....

Fritz
10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I remember a game Fouts did back on MNF. There was a play where a big blitz was picked up and the QB threw a crossing route pass that went for huge yards. Immediately after the play, he said he wanted to show the OL because they made the play. He had the film come up from the OL and showed how the RB picked up the blitzing LB and the OL handled the rush (there were some stunts) and everyone just did their job. He acknowledged the proper read by the QB and great run after the catch but said that the whole play was because of the pass protection and did 90% of his analysis from that. THAT was brilliant. Didn't do the whole Gruden over the top hype crap about a "brilliant QB" or "phenominal WR" who are "at the top of their game". He simply just analyzed.

Great example, CheeseCraig.

Fouts analyzes, Gruden analizes.

sharpe1027
10-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Rodgers has quick feet and a quick release, just like Steph Curry. That is classic Gruden analysis.

swede
10-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Great example, CheeseCraig.

Fouts analyzes, Gruden analizes.

Norm Crosby post of the day.

bobblehead
10-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Bakhtiari is no Chad Clifton, and his holding calls are getting tiresome; but they have had worse than him out there too.

One thing about Bak, he doesn't actually get called for holding that often when you consider he holds EVERY SINGLE PLAY. I give him props for that.

bobblehead
10-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Gig indeed. But the spread against the Niners seemed awfully large and they managed to cover that. If the defense doesn't take the day off the Packers should win by 10.

You just can't lay double digits with GB. MM likes to count possessions and take his foot off the gas. He allows long scoring drives and runs 3 of 4 plays into a run stuffing defense just to burn clock once ahead by 3 scores. We give up more backdoor covers than any team I have ever watched (not to mention collapses in NFCC games).

pbmax
10-09-2015, 06:32 PM
One thing about Bak, he doesn't actually get called for holding that often when you consider he holds EVERY SINGLE PLAY. I give him props for that.

Exactly. Analytics would tell us its the called hold RATE that is most important.

:lol:

pbmax
10-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Rodgers has quick feet and a quick release, just like Steph Curry. That is classic Gruden analysis.

They did too much with this. But there is a common thread between the two. Both of these guys may have the quickest release EVER at their respective positions. It wasn't worth a booth segment, but replays were fair game.

If this was the only inanity, I wouldn't object.

pbmax
10-09-2015, 06:43 PM
That's one USC alum being (Jeff Fisher) disrespectful of another USC alum. Not kosher.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 3h3 hours ago
From @nwagoner: Rams' Daren Bates dons wig, No. 52 jersey to impersonate Clay Matthews http://es.pn/1VJzkO3

swede
10-10-2015, 12:15 AM
That's one USC alum being (Jeff Fisher) disrespectful of another USC alum. Not kosher.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 3h3 hours ago
From @nwagoner: Rams' Daren Bates dons wig, No. 52 jersey to impersonate Clay Matthews http://es.pn/1VJzkO3
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/e20d3cf5-e7f1-4683-aed3-5b3e9ef283de_zpsljfb4vna.png

pbmax
10-10-2015, 12:11 PM
^ Very nice, but you forgot the wage poster.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 18m18 minutes ago
Packers downgrade Adams (ankle) & Burnett (calf) to doubtful for tomorrow. Added Shields (toe) & Gunter (heel) to injury report as probable.

Bulaga still questionable.

swede
10-10-2015, 03:24 PM
...also forgot "Days without a work-related injury".

pbmax
10-10-2015, 03:41 PM
...also forgot "Days without a work-related injury".

http://paulklipp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/days-since-accident.jpeg

mraynrand
10-10-2015, 08:22 PM
We give up more backdoor covers ...

Harlan might be interested...

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2015, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_ilymWo4s

mraynrand
10-11-2015, 11:50 AM
^^^^ very nice. Doors are classic. Will always get you repped.

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Gurley did better than I thought he would. Still not as twitchy or fast as he was before the injury IMO. I still would draft him before Melvin Gordon though:-).

sharpe1027
10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
They did too much with this. But there is a common thread between the two. Both of these guys may have the quickest release EVER at their respective positions. It wasn't worth a booth segment, but replays were fair game.

If this was the only inanity, I wouldn't object.

If only it was.

mraynrand
10-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Gurley did better than I thought he would. Still not as twitchy or fast as he was before the injury IMO. I still would draft him before Melvin Gordon though:-).

Gurley is very efficient. Not too surprising since there's good material to work with there. That's as much an explanation that accounts for something as I can propose.