PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll is a Dope

pbmax
10-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 34m34 minutes ago
Carroll says they went back last 12 years of NFL and could find no record of batted ball penalty being called.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 32m32 minutes ago
Pete needs a table, or to get me on staff. @bcondotta @PeteCarroll

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQvdujyUAAAn6Pl.jpg:large

Joemailman
10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Pete Carroll is on dope.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
12th Fan Boys are saying Pete "meant" a batted ball penalty occurring in the end zone hit by the defensive player.

Of what use is that search? The League doesn't train officials like that. You can't officiate like its a trivia contest. They know the general rule and work their way down the exclusions.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2015, 04:43 PM
The ex-referee commentator on TV said it was a "judgement call." I think the only "judgement" involved is whether or not the bat was intentional. The commentator went on to say if it had been him he would have taken into account which way the ball was bouncing at the time, i.e., if it was heading out of bounds on its own, he wouldn't have called it. That, to me, is absurd. If it's an intentional bat, then it's a penalty plain and simple.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
The ex-referee commentator on TV said it was a "judgement call." I think the only "judgement" involved is whether or not the bat was intentional. The commentator went on to say if it had been him he would have taken into account which way the ball was bouncing at the time, i.e., if it was heading out of bounds on its own, he wouldn't have called it. That, to me, is absurd. If it's an intentional bat, then it's a penalty plain and simple.

So if a D lineman is headed left and I grab his facemark and help him speed up, then its not a facemask?

I like that caveat.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2015, 05:25 PM
I think the official panicked at the confusion of the moment, didn't have the clear head to make a controversial call. He took what he thought was the easy way out - no call at all, rationalize it later.

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 05:26 PM
So if a D lineman is headed left and I grab his facemark and help him speed up, then its not a facemask?

I like that caveat.

So if Evan Dietrich Smith's head is already going into the FieldTurf, then I can help it go in deeper? #Suhhasquestions

So if Rodger's calf is already getting damaged, I can help it get more injured? Same direction. #Suhhasquestions

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2015, 05:29 PM
I think this official was more inept than the "Fail Mary" guy. He had a clear view of certain events, even if the implications were slightly obscure. The "inadvertent" explanation is implausible. The Fail Mary official saw guys rolling around on ground fighting for ball, it was not so clear in the moment.

mraynrand
10-07-2015, 05:34 PM
I think this official was more inept than the "Fail Mary" guy. He had a clear view of certain events, even if the implications were slightly obscure. The "inadvertent" explanation is implausible. The Fail Mary official saw guys rolling around on ground fighting for ball, it was not so clear in the moment.

except to the black official, who was ignored.

Joemailman
10-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I think the official panicked at the confusion of the moment, didn't have the clear head to make a controversial call. He took what he thought was the easy way out - no call at all, rationalize it later.

Maybe didn't have the nerve to make the controversial call against the home team. We've seen it before.

smuggler
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Pete showing again he was not bred for that brain of his.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Yep. He can come up with a story later after he learned what the rule really was so that way he's got his rationalization post-mortem.

run pMc
10-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I'd be pretty mad if I was a Lions fan. They should've had the ball on the 1.

run pMc
10-07-2015, 08:31 PM
...and yes, Pete Carroll is an idiot of near Harbaughian proportions.

smuggler
10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Carroll is much more stupid than Harbaugh. Jim is just a hothead.

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2015, 12:19 AM
I'd be pretty mad if I was a Lions fan. They should've had the ball on the 1.

I wouldn't feel too bad. They were outplayed and then blew it at the end. The right call would have been a gift they didn't deserve.

Smidgeon
10-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Shouldn't this go in the "Coaches I Personally Want to Punch in the Face" thread?

George Cumby
10-08-2015, 11:29 AM
I think the thread title should have been "Pete Carol is a douche". But that's just my opinion.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Carroll is much more stupid than Harbaugh.

Much more stupider.

Freak Out
10-08-2015, 01:45 PM
I have to agree with Harv here...the artist formerly known as Megatron should have held onto the damn ball.

pbmax
10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
I think Pete is being intentionally dense here. He is a "my guys all the way" kinda coach. But I wouldn't call him dumb. He survived what would have been career ending terminations by the Pats and Jets as a young coach. And he looked bad on both occasions. No less a visionary than the Sports Guy :eyeroll: used him as a punching bag for years, and you know that wasn't based on independent film study. Everyone in the media was convinced he was done.

His resurrection was based on fixing what he had been doing wrong and getting himself in a better spot.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but I am not sure how flexible he is to changing his methods. His Michigan team, like some of his others, has a fantastic defense. The offense is interesting at best.

So I stand by calling Pete a dope rather than dumb. And I have more evidence that he knows what he is doing than I do for Harbaugh.

sharpe1027
10-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I think Pete is being intentionally dense here. He is a "my guys all the way" kinda coach. But I wouldn't call him dumb. He survived what would have been career ending terminations by the Pats and Jets as a young coach. And he looked bad on both occasions. No less a visionary than the Sports Guy :eyeroll: used him as a punching bag for years, and you know that wasn't based on independent film study. Everyone in the media was convinced he was done.

His resurrection was based on fixing what he had been doing wrong and getting himself in a better spot.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but I am not sure how flexible he is to changing his methods. His Michigan team, like some of his others, has a fantastic defense. The offense is interesting at best.

So I stand by calling Pete a dope rather than dumb. And I have more evidence that he knows what he is doing than I do for Harbaugh.

I don't see what he gains by intentionally being dense. He's drawing more attention to the issue. Seems like a stupid thing to do.

pbmax
10-08-2015, 06:51 PM
I don't see what he gains by intentionally being dense. He's drawing more attention to the issue. Seems like a stupid thing to do.

Unifies the team behind the idea that the win was legit, that this doesn't get called normally and it doesn't mar the victory. Regardless of outrage "out there" the team ca be confident that they were the better team and won.

No coach wants to send the message that due to the vagaries of fate and a rarely discussed rule we are now 2-2 and ready to climb back in the playoff race.

Pugger
10-08-2015, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't feel too bad. They were outplayed and then blew it at the end. The right call would have been a gift they didn't deserve.

Besides a handful of plays the seachickens didn't look so hot at home against a winless team either.

sharpe1027
10-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Unifies the team behind the idea that the win was legit, that this doesn't get called normally and it doesn't mar the victory. Regardless of outrage "out there" the team ca be confident that they were the better team and won.

No coach wants to send the message that due to the vagaries of fate and a rarely discussed rule we are now 2-2 and ready to climb back in the playoff race.

Seems a stupid way to legitimize the win, make an intentionally dense statement that is easily disproven and thus will call into question the basis for the claim to legitimacy. But, what do I know?

run pMc
10-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I see your point, it can foster that "us vs. them"/"circle the wagons" mentality that some teams feed on. Wouldn't doubt that SEA is a team like that. Carroll is definitely a "my guys all the way" coach...but when the calls are obvious and he does that, it looks pretty silly. Denial can make you look like an assclown if you aren't smart about it.

pbmax
10-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Seems a stupid way to legitimize the win, make an intentionally dense statement that is easily disproven and thus will call into question the basis for the claim to legitimacy. But, what do I know?

I'm pretty sure he is happy to split the hair that no defender has had that called on them while in the end zone for a long time. He likes being chippy and having chippy players. I read a profile of him where he got into a no-water drinking contest with a reporter because of a misunderstanding. Carroll was texting the guy after they parted company that he still hadn't had any water. I am near certain he is happy to hang his hat on this.

He is also a dope and he got another freebie win, regardless of whether his adrenaline addicted brain can internalize it or not.

sharpe1027
10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure he is happy to split the hair that no defender has had that called on them while in the end zone for a long time. He likes being chippy and having chippy players. I read a profile of him where he got into a no-water drinking contest with a reporter because of a misunderstanding. Carroll was texting the guy after they parted company that he still hadn't had any water. I am near certain he is happy to hang his hat on this.

He is also a dope and he got another freebie win, regardless of whether his adrenaline addicted brain can internalize it or not.

I agree that he is more than happy to stick to his guns; I disagree it was being intentionally dense to split hairs in the first place. I think he believed it was a legitimate position that others would buy into. Your water story suggests he is not always the most logical. I do not think it was that was a carefully orchestrated statement where he knew a lot of people would think it was a stupid thing to say.