PDA

View Full Version : Bostickler Trophy

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 01:03 AM
I'm shamelessly stealing some karma from the Fuckdoggle award. Nearly every week there is one play and player that stands out as uniquely colorful, a physical spectacle, a bonehead move of distinction. I'm calling the weekly award the Bostickler, to honor the the epic performance of Brandon Bostick.

http://i.imgur.com/7b01GPD.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 01:08 AM
I see a pretty clear favorite for week five. I will nominate and coronate Jeff Janis for his endzone dance.
He is the inaugural winner. The trophy, please:

http://i.imgur.com/Gyqnd9y.png

As you are already sensing, I have designated myself as the Judging Panel. But be advised that all decisions by the panel are never final, they are forever subject to change due to external pressure or whims.

Thank you for your participation in this week's trophy.

Tony Oday
10-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Dick Rodgers won last week...his only competition was himself!

red
10-14-2015, 07:49 AM
no, it was janis

that was a very stupid play, and might show why he doesnt get a lot of snaps on offense

Freak Out
10-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Ha ha...hopefully you don't have to hand out many of these HH.

Tony Oday
10-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Janis cost the Pack 10 points and Crosby's record? Nope. Dick Rodgers

TravisWilliams23
10-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Edge to Dick Rod. Effed up the pass that would have been a 1st down or TD and took 3 points off the board with hands to the face penalty. That was a brutal series for him.

George Cumby
10-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Apparently Harlan has healed after the Seattle Debacle. :-P

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Edge to Dick Rod. Effed up the pass that would have been a 1st down or TD and took 3 points off the board with hands to the face penalty. That was a brutal series for him.

You make a good argument, I forgot about that series by the DRod. Huh.
I see Wes H. called-out both plays. Forgettable day for Packers' special teams (http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/10/11/forgettable-day-packers-special-teams/73688136/)

It was one of several forgettable moments for the special-teams unit Sunday, though none of them really had any bearing on the Packers’ 24-10 victory.

The first occurred in the second quarter when Green Bay punter Tim Masthay had arguably his best punt of the year in dropping a 52-yard punt inside the Rams’ 5-yard line. However, gunner Jeff Janis overran the ball and accidentally nudged it backward.

It was originally spotted at the St. Louis 1, but was ruled a touchback upon review when officials determined Janis didn’t establish himself again after entering the end zone.

“I knew where the ball was, that was the biggest thing, and I was just trying to not let the ball cross the goal line,” Janis said. “I just have to be a little bit more aware of where my body is.”

Tight end Richard Rodgers also was flagged for illegal hands in the face in the fourth quarter, which wiped out a 47-yard field goal from Mason Crosby on fourth-and-9. It would have put the Packers ahead by two touchdowns, but instead resulted in a Tim Masthay punt.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b21a057899de24ad5c40e336e63dede6b5e6e9bd/c=0-0-2627-1975&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/10/11/WIGroup/Appleton/635801700231043002--ETS6313.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 11:53 AM
The Bostickler Award should recognize a moment of tragedy that is so dumb it has shades of comedy.

https://images.rapgenius.com/d9f93440ef2e1cd1ffef180edca1e179.258x366x1.jpg

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/wblp97598.jpg

I think Janis's moment had a more memorable, classic Bostickler feel, that indescribable je ne sais quoi

If your hand is slapping your forehead, you are in the moment.

But I can see that DickRod's mistakes were more harmful. Tough call for the panel.

sharpe1027
10-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I don't get the Janis reference. The ball looked like it was going to roll into the endzone if he does nothing. He was throwing his body back across the line at the same time he tried to stop it. If he doesn't try it is a touchback anyway. It was a split second decision that almost worked and only upon replay did it get reversed.

ThunderDan
10-14-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't get the Janis reference. The ball looked like it was going to roll into the endzone if he does nothing. He was throwing his body back across the line at the same time he tried to stop it. If he doesn't try it is a touchback anyway. It was a split second decision that almost worked and only upon replay did it get reversed.

The ball on first bounce was going back toward the 5 yard line. Janis hit it and knocked it toward the goal line. He hit it too hard and the ball was going to go over the goal line. Then all the rolling and jumping and batting ensued. If he had done nothing the Packers down the ball at the 5.

I am sure in Janis's mind he thought he was going to save the Packers 3 or 4 yards trying to down it at the 1 or 2 instead of letting it go back to the 5 on the bounce. Unfortunately, he touched the ball too hard and started the whole process.

sharpe1027
10-14-2015, 01:08 PM
The ball on first bounce was going back toward the 5 yard line. Janis hit it and knocked it toward the goal line. He hit it too hard and the ball was going to go over the goal line. Then all the rolling and jumping and batting ensued. If he had done nothing the Packers down the ball at the 5.

So we are only talking about the first tap? That's a bang-bang play where he is trying to keep it from bouncing back to the 10 yard line. Pretty standard stuff. Admittedly he (just barely) over hit it, but he was running full speed to get there in time. To place it in the same sentence as Bostick? Not in my book.

Cobra Kai
10-14-2015, 01:09 PM

He initially batted the ball towards the endzone when he first arrived to the ball. That is why he had to try and save it from being a touchback. He probably didn't even need to touch in the first place. Or if he does touch it, he should have thrown it back towards the field of play. Its a bang-bang play but I've seen many other talented special teamers handle that exact situation perfectly. Either way it shows he is a dumbass and there is a reason he is not trusted on offense. Talented or not, he's just not smart...

sharpe1027
10-14-2015, 01:11 PM
He initially batted the ball towards the endzone when he first arrived to the ball. That is why he had to try and save it from being a touchback. He probably didn't even need to touch in the first place. Or if he does touch it, he should have thrown it back towards the field of play. Its a bang-bang play but I've seen many other talented special teamers handle that exact situation perfectly. Either way it shows he is a dumbass and there is a reason he is not trusted on offense. Talented or not, he's just not smart...

I've seen other talented special teamers make much worse errors. Does that mean Janis is really smart?

That's quite a conclusion to reach on a single incident that was nearly a perfect play (only reversed on replay).

Cobra Kai
10-14-2015, 01:18 PM
I've seen other talented special teamers make much worse errors. Does that mean Janis is really smart?

That's quite a conclusion to reach on a single incident that was nearly a perfect play (only reversed on replay).

He might get it one day but right now he has a million dollar body with a 10 cent head... And it shows...

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Janis is clearly no Jarrett Bush

sharpe1027
10-14-2015, 01:38 PM
He might get it one day but right now he has a million dollar body with a 10 cent head... And it shows...

I have no inside knowledge on his intelligence, so I can't really confirm or deny based on a single play.

mraynrand
10-14-2015, 03:28 PM

It looked like a bad move on replay. I dunno if he just lost perspective, but it was clear the ball was bouncing back to the five. Just leave the damn thing alone and it's a great play. Janis gets my vote because his error is very much like Bostick's - trying to do too much, and forgetting the basics.

BTW, that is one horrid fotochop, Harlan. I can see every pixel, and it looks like his forearms were eaten by MRSA.

mraynrand
10-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I nominate Harlan for the award because of his terrible fotochopping. It was an unnecessary mistake, an unforced error in an attempt for transient and mundane glory.

swede
10-14-2015, 03:40 PM
I nominate Harlan for the award because of his terrible fotochopping. It was an unnecessary mistake, an unforced error in an attempt for transient and mundane glory.

I get the braille edition of packerrats, so I can't see how it could be worse than my five minute hackups.

mraynrand
10-14-2015, 03:55 PM
I get the braille edition of packerrats, so I can't see how it could be worse than my five minute hackups.

Just like the braille edition of playboy, eh? Got a touchy-feely screen, perhaps?

sharpe1027
10-14-2015, 04:02 PM
It looked like a bad move on replay. I dunno if he just lost perspective, but it was clear the ball was bouncing back to the five. Just leave the damn thing alone and it's a great play. Janis gets my vote because his error is very much like Bostick's - trying to do too much, and forgetting the basics.

BTW, that is one horrid fotochop, Harlan. I can see every pixel, and it looks like his forearms were eaten by MRSA.

Sure, you slow the thing down and rehash it and you can say it was coming back. I am not disagreeing that it would have been better to leave it alone. I disagree that he made a mistake that even comes close to Bostick. Downing the ball was Janis' job and he almost did so on the 1 yard line (only reversed on review). Bostick was assigned to block and specifically told not to touch the ball.

Have you ever tried to predict where a football will bounce? It's not like a basketball or soccer ball, the damn thing can go anywhere. Also, it is not like he swung at the ball, it just grazed his outstretched hand and had barely enough momentum to be in danger of crossing the line. The refs did not even see the initial touch based upon the spot they gave.

I just don't see the correlation to a Bostick level mistake. But, since I am the only one that thinks that way, it probably just means I am wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Janis gets my vote because his error is very much like Bostick's - trying to do too much, and forgetting the basics.

Well said. My heart tells me that Janis has captured the very essence that the Bostickler was founded upon, he deserves to be the inaugural winner. DickRod's plays were more in the nature of generic, untimely, costly back-to-back fuckups. Yet like the trophy's decomposing forearms, my spine is not as stiff as it used to be. I'm caving to the DickRod enthusiasts - if there isn't a Bostick moment every week, well maybe some weeks there can be two.

Rich and Jeff shall share the first trophy in harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtiJN6yiik

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2015, 04:26 PM
I just don't see the correlation to a Bostick level mistake. But, since I am the only one that thinks that way, it probably just means I am wrong.
I agree with close to 100% of all you said. And no, Janis's error was not that colossal, it certainly doesn't damn all his football intelligence. Lots of players mess-up a goal-line downing. But it was so close, such a DOH! moment where you have to laugh to keep from crying.

I want to see Janis or Abby get on the field for some WR snaps to see what they can do. It may take another injury to get there, unfortunately.

mraynrand
10-14-2015, 04:31 PM
I disagree that he made a mistake that even comes close to Bostick.

Nothing comes close to Bostick, really. Janis' very minor flub is like confusing the salad and dessert fork.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/FormalDinnerSetting.jpg

red
10-14-2015, 05:59 PM
to me the jaris play was a lot like the leon lett play

if both men do nothing its a great play for their team

instead both men come flying and just have to be the guy to down the ball, and ended up plowing into the ball at full speed

to make matters worse, 2 or 3 other packers were at the scene, stopped, and ready to down the ball. but janis had to be the one to get to it, at full speed

giant moron play

TravisWilliams23
10-14-2015, 09:56 PM
The Lett play and Bostick play both led to their teams losing the game. It just doesn't get any worse than that.
Janis f-up was a touchback, ball at 20 yard line instead of 5. He does community service for his transgression but
Bostick and Lett will live in infamy for directly having a brain fart that cost their teams a victory.

smuggler
10-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Bostick's fuckup was not in decisionmaking. It was in execution. The entire Seahawks collapse began because the team got passive at the end of the game. Bostick being passive in that situation would ha e actually led to a Packer victory. But the ball is headed right to him. Why be passive? Catch that shit and head home. Instead he shits the bed. He shit it with his nerves, not his logical brain.

I was screaming for players to be more agressive during that game. I'm glad Bostick tried to win the game instead of just being there and hoping not to lose. Sucks it didn't work.

Fritz
10-15-2015, 05:18 AM
to me the jaris play was a lot like the leon lett play

if both men do nothing its a great play for their team

instead both men come flying and just have to be the guy to down the ball, and ended up plowing into the ball at full speed

to make matters worse, 2 or 3 other packers were at the scene, stopped, and ready to down the ball. but janis had to be the one to get to it, at full speed

giant moron play

This is why Janis deserves the Bostickler. The ball was clearly sitting there, silent, unmoving, but Jeffy had to go flying into it. If he, like Leon Lett and Brandon Bostick, had left the ball alone, it would've worked out just fine.

sharpe1027
10-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Bostick's fuckup was not in decisionmaking. It was in execution. The entire Seahawks collapse began because the team got passive at the end of the game. Bostick being passive in that situation would ha e actually led to a Packer victory. But the ball is headed right to him. Why be passive? Catch that shit and head home. Instead he shits the bed. He shit it with his nerves, not his logical brain.

I was screaming for players to be more agressive during that game. I'm glad Bostick tried to win the game instead of just being there and hoping not to lose. Sucks it didn't work.

It was all about decision making. His job was to ignore the ball and block. He decided to catch the ball instead. Bad decision, even if he catches it.

sharpe1027
10-15-2015, 09:21 AM
This is why Janis deserves the Bostickler. The ball was clearly sitting there, silent, unmoving, but Jeffy had to go flying into it. If he, like Leon Lett and Brandon Bostick, had left the ball alone, it would've worked out just fine.

I can agree that he is the most deserving of the week, so give him the award.

However, the ball was not sitting there, it was bouncing the first time he touched it and it looked like it was going to cross the goalline the second time.

3irty1
10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
The types of plays this award was conceived for are the types we all commit to our own personal memory banks and color our perception of players. Its about time we gave this award a name and began awarding it collectively so we can quantify the chronic fuckups on our team.

After careful consideration I think the award committee fucked it up and the award should have gone solely to Dickrod. If the fuckup in question can't be immortalized in a single embarrassing moment its just not Bosticky. So first Dickrod had two bad moments in a row and our shorterm memories shouldn't count against him but one of those moments could make a sufficiently embarrassing poster commemorating undisciplined Packer football. Lets have a look at the Janis moment:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b21a057899de24ad5c40e336e63dede6b5e6e9bd/c=0-0-2627-1975&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/10/11/WIGroup/Appleton/635801700231043002--ETS6313.jpg

If he had his eyes closed and mouth open here we'd have something worthy of Harlan's piece of shit trophy.

I'm going with the hands to the face penalty that knocked us out of field goal range. That's an image you can burn into your brain. None of the plays in question here were worthy of mentioning in the various game recaps but if any were it'd be this. Big graphic fuckup in a relatively big moment.

Smidgeon
10-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Why trivialize the Bostickler with a game by game trophy/winner[loser]? It's such a paramount feat that identifying someone in every game that ruined your season makes the reward in and of itself meaningless.

Janis doesn't merit the Bostickler. He was doing what he was supposed to do, but was unsuccessful.
"RailRoad" Richard Rodgers doesn't merit the Bostickler because he was doing what he was supposed to do, but was unsuccessful.

Let's not allow the Bostickler to rest on someone who was just unsuccessful. Let it rest on those players who are given a task and then ignore said task and make a grievous error resulting in either a game being lost or something nearly as dire.

An example in my mind is Kuhn last year who got a notorious special teams penalty. I don't remember the specific context, but it was atrocious at the time.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Big graphic fuckup in a relatively big moment.
Backoff, mofo. I made that trophy at 2 AM, erasing pixels using a laptop touchpad, lying in bed with eyes half open. If you & Rand think you can do better .... oh wait, never mind.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Why trivialize the Bostickler with a game by game trophy/winner[loser]? It's such a paramount feat that identifying someone in every game that ruined your season

As Rand said, we acknowledge that no moment will be as inglorious as the Big One. It's just a symbol, dude. And the point is not to condemn a player as a no goodnook: hall of famer Brett Favre had many interceptions that were DOH! moments and would certainly merit nominations. I am President of Jeff Janis Support Society, I hardly think his little brain fart means he can't play, even if a few morons babbled that. The purpose of the trophy is to have a laugh at an embarrassing moment, nothing more. Eventually, Saint Rodgers may get one too.

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2015, 11:37 AM
I am President of Jeff Janis Support Society...

What the hell? I thought I was the President of the Janis Support Society. Harlan, seriously, I see this whole thing as a preposterous and outlandish power grab on your part. Please cease and desist. (PS...I was even going to ask you to fotochop an image of Jeff Janis' supporter because of your expertise and that area, but now just....well, just forget it.)

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
You are President of Jeff Janis Jock Sniffers After School Club

Outlandish power grab? Yes! Outlandish power corrupts outlandlishly ....... HAAAAAAAAAA !

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Can't we all just get along???

ThunderDan
10-15-2015, 11:57 AM
I nominate Zook or Zookeeper! We now have giant cue cards on the sideline that say PUNT that they hold up on 4th down.

sharpe1027
10-15-2015, 02:19 PM
You are President of Jeff Janis Jock Sniffers After School Club

Outlandish power grab? Yes! Outlandish power corrupts outlandlishly ....... HAAAAAAAAAA !

Enjoy it while you have it. You never know when some lowlife will start the "Official" Bostickler Thread.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Enjoy it while you have it. You never know when some lowlife will start the "Official" Bostickler Thread.

Thanks for heads up, but not to worry. I'm tight with the forum owner, the fat brown man's got my back. He'll surely nix any attempt to snatch-away the little piece of happiness of which I am so proud.

To make it official:

http://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/jeff-janis-packers.png
http://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/richard-rodgers-packers.png

gbgary
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
i nominate someone from a different sport...elvis andrus for his catastrophic inning.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gil-lebreton/h0h02o/picture39249987/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/elvis

:whaa:

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks for heads up, but not to worry. I'm tight with the forum owner, the fat brown man's got my back. He'll surely nix any attempt to snatch-away the little piece of happiness of which I am so proud.

To make it official:

http://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/jeff-janis-packers.png
http://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/richard-rodgers-packers.png

I think awarding one trophy to two individuals is in itself worthy of an unhonorable Bostickler mention...especially since both individuals have demonstrably bad hands.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2015, 06:58 PM
I tried the King Solomon trick, but all parties are happy with cutting the trophy in half.

Fritz
10-16-2015, 07:06 AM
I think there are several fans who hoped you meant cutting Bostick in half. Vertically.

Joemailman
10-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Can I nominate Michigan's punter? That guy brought back memories of Garo Yepremian.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2015, 03:44 PM
http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=177&dateline=1391561000

For insulting Aaron Rodger's alma mater, and for calling his brother Richard "dumb."

Max called it: An outrageous power grab corrupts outrageously.

pbmax
10-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Its disheartening to see people root against sound strategic second-guessing.

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2015, 09:56 AM
http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=5&dateline=1381983495

Upon further review, I think pbmax was slightly closer to being right than wrong.

mraynrand
10-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Can I nominate Michigan's punter? That guy brought back memories of Garo Yepremian.

Keeek!

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xt/93740121.jpg?v=1&g=fs2%7C0%7Ceditorial28%7C40%7C121&s=1

Harlan Huckleby
11-15-2015, 09:30 PM
esoxx suggests Mason Crosby in game thread. It wasn't just a miss, it was a wah-wah-wah wounded duck. Plus the game will be well remembered in Packer lore. Crosby's kick had that snatching-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory quality, the Bostickler spirit.

Noodle
11-15-2015, 10:58 PM
esoxx suggests Mason Crosby in game thread. It wasn't just a miss, it was a wah-wah-wah wounded duck. Plus the game will be well remembered in Packer lore. Crosby's kick had that snatching-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory quality, the Bostickler spirit.

Isn't the word on the street that Masthay actually blocked the kick with his off hand? If true, then that would truly be Bosticklerian in its awesomeness/ineptitude.

George Cumby
11-15-2015, 11:12 PM
As stupid and ludicrous as this award is, the Packers were actually incompetent enough to generate not one, but two candidates. Well played Green Bay, well played.

And kudos to harlan for coming up with this abomination. But before it goes to your head, remember the sun shines on even a dogs ass once in awhile.

Patler
11-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Isn't the word on the street that Masthay actually blocked the kick with his off hand? If true, then that would truly be Bosticklerian in its awesomeness/ineptitude.

Are you serious? I sure hope so, because if Masthay is now screwing up as a holder, maybe they will get rid of him. His punting sure doesn't keep him on the roster.

Freak Out
11-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Unfuckingbelievable.

red
11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Are you serious? I sure hope so, because if Masthay is now screwing up as a holder, maybe they will get rid of him. His punting sure doesn't keep him on the roster.

i think he might have

go to the 2 minute mark. his hand is there, then the ball goes all funky like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N033fta-D8g

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2015, 09:51 AM
I recorded the game and looked very closely at the hold/kick etc. Yes, his hand was there but you can't conclude from the game video alone that the ball hit the holder's hand. It's possible. It's extremely close. But it also looks from the video that Crosby hit the ball high. His foot is well off the ground at impact.

red
11-16-2015, 09:56 AM
you're gonna want to hit it higher for a longer kick

TD said in another thread that mase was looking around trying to figure out what the hell happened

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2015, 09:58 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-game-notes/article-1/Mason-Crosby-I-flat-missed-it/43d439dc-609d-43df-b22c-a9b3a2d004e2

Mastay's hold was fine. Crosby: "I flat missed it. I think I caught a little turf behind the ball....with how the ball came off, I don’t know, my plant must not have been in the right spot."

pbmax
11-16-2015, 10:29 AM
His finger is right there. But hard to tell from behind at that angle. But the ball immediately changes its rotation as it elevates over the line. I thought he hit it high, but hard to tell without a comparison.

Its not even obvious that the ball is rotating weird when its below helmet level. After the kick it rotates normally in backspin. But immediately when it hits open air it swerves and turns over.

Maybe a fingernail imparts a spin around the horizontal plane?

red
11-16-2015, 10:34 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-game-notes/article-1/Mason-Crosby-I-flat-missed-it/43d439dc-609d-43df-b22c-a9b3a2d004e2

Mastay's hold was fine. Crosby: "I flat missed it. I think I caught a little turf behind the ball....with how the ball came off, I don’t know, my plant must not have been in the right spot."

except his plant looked fine, and he definitely didn't hit the ground

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2015, 10:35 AM

I watched the video again. Crosby definitely didn't catch any turf. His foot was well off the ground. The ball hitting Masthay's trailing fingers is more likely. But no definitive evidence on that.

George Cumby
11-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Crosby is taking one for his team-mate. Perhaps Masthay has photos of Crosby and Olivia Munn "hanging out".

mraynrand
11-16-2015, 10:49 AM
The ball was hit cleanly. It was just hit high - so no rotation and it knuckled. That's it. There was no turf monster, no extra touch by Masthay. Also, the ball was on target. simply too high.

That game felt like the game after Payton died. The season is starting to feel like 2008.

pbmax
11-16-2015, 11:12 AM
The laces of the ball are facing away from about the mid-point between Crosby and Masthay. They stay that way until the ball clears to about 6 feet in the air. You get to see one rotation after the kick and the laces are NOT rotating around the ball.

I don't see how he could affect it if its still tumbling normally end over end and not spinning.

He would have to had touched on end of the ball and affected the tumble. But the ball doesn't show evidence of that.

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Maybe a fingernail imparts a spin around the horizontal plane?

The butterfinger effect! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Crosby is taking one for his team-mate. Perhaps Masthay has photos of Crosby and Olivia Munn "hanging out".

If Masthay had a bad spot or his hand hit the ball he would obviously know it for certain. Do you really think he would remain silent while everyone blamed the kicker for such a putrid result? Of course not.

The theory that Masthay ruined the kick from his position on the grassy knoll comes from unhinged individuals who are pissed at the punter for his shitty performance. No need to name names, we'll call them red, white and blue.

red
11-16-2015, 02:35 PM
lol

hey

red
11-16-2015, 04:34 PM
not just a few of us nuts that think masthay might have blocked it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/crosby-takes-blame-but-field-goal-may-have-hit-holders-hand/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Joemailman
11-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Looking at that replay, I wonder if the ball grazed Masthay's facemask. That's something Masthay wouldn't necessarily have felt.

red
11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Looking at that replay, I wonder if the ball grazed Masthay's facemask. That's something Masthay wouldn't necessarily have felt.

tough to hit the facemask with it being right above the ball when it was kicked and all

looking at other kick replays it looks like masthay doesn't have a set way for removing his right hand from the ball. sometimes he pulls it straight up, sometimes he pulls it straight back. no matter how he pulls it away, the thing is always long gone before the ball is kicked

in this case, from the one angle we get, it looks like he pulled it away in a bit of a sweeping motion in the same direction that the ball was heading

i wish we had another angle to take a look, but what we can see for sure is that the hand is a lot closer then it usually is to the ball, crosby didn't hit the ground before the ball or slip like he said, and it didn't look like he struck it that poorly to make it look like it was hit by a 20 gauge once it got 6 or 7 feet in the air

to my eye, something effected the ball after it was kicked. i just don't see how a ball hit cleanly and below the midsection has down top spin to make it knuckle down, and side spin to make it slice so bad. and since we can clearly see that no lion hit it. that leaves me with two conclusions

1. our shitty punted blocked it and his buddy knows he's already in deep shit so he's taking the fall on this

2. the ball was somehow damaged like an old range golf ball with a dead core and a cut cover

red
11-16-2015, 06:13 PM
masthay says he didn't do it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/packers-holder-says-ball-did-not-graze-his-hand-on-missed-field-goal/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

says there was a depression in the ground that caused crosbys toe to hit a raised bump and send the foot off course

Joemailman
11-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Zook says his toe hit the ground which caused the foot to bounce up and he hit the ball high. This might play into what Masthay was saying about there being a depression in the ground. If the ball was placed in the depression, then the ground behind the ball might have been higher.

Doesn't either the holder or the kicker usually check the spot where the ball is to be placed before the kick?

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Crosby's foot never hit the ground. You can see that clearly from the replay. And if the ball had grazed off of Masthay's hand, he would have felt it for sure.

denverYooper
11-16-2015, 08:27 PM
This is getting both fascinating and absurd.

I like it.

pbmax
11-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Doesn't either the holder or the kicker usually check the spot where the ball is to be placed before the kick?

He said they both knew it but didn't fell like they needed to move as it was a minor variation.

mraynrand
11-16-2015, 08:52 PM
This is getting both fascinating and absurd.

I like it.

that's what your wife said.

http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1248_03_Jeopardy_EST.png

denverYooper
11-16-2015, 08:54 PM
that's what your wife said.

Suck it, Trebek

mraynrand
11-16-2015, 08:58 PM
"A Petit Dejune"

"Uhh, I'll take Ape tit there for 200"

http://ib4.huluim.com/video/4954883?region=US&size=600x400

note 'turd ferguson'

denverYooper
11-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Mr Reynolds has apparently changed his name to Turd Ferguson

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2015, 04:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1d43H7fuNGwKtKhXp7tZDor85rMFdg siUwq8186xCMmRks3kfJw

Fritz
11-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it fits.

The dude had a chance to be a hero but he flat-out botched it.

Somehow, though, I'm not pissed at the guy like I am at the shitty offensive line.

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
http://a1.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/nfl/images/2015/11/16/111615-NFL-GreenBayPackers-PI-CDH.vadapt.620.high.26.jpg

Calvin Johnson is of course not eligible for any sort of OFFICIAL recognition. But his perfectly Bostickler moment is entered into the record as a footnote.

Maxie the Taxi
11-17-2015, 04:23 PM
How many times does something like that happen? And we had to waste it. Still pisses me off.

Fritz
11-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Couldn't you rename it the "Bostinckler"?

And yes, that did look mighty familiar, didn't it?

And with Megatron's contract, he might even follow in Bostick's footsteps and get cut at the end of the season!

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2015, 04:27 PM
How many times does something like that happen? And we had to waste it. Still pisses me off.

Sort of like that one date you had in high school ... your big chance with the special ed girl ended in nothing but creamed jeans.

Maxie the Taxi
11-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Sort of like that one date you had in high school ... your big chance with the special ed girl ended in nothing but creamed jeans.How the hell did you find that out? Marilyn, is that you?

pbmax
11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Now I feel bad for dumping Bostick. If it can happen to Megatron ...

mraynrand
11-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Sort of like that one date you had in high school ... your big chance with the special ed girl ended in nothing but creamed jeans.

Mystery, Alaska

Harlan Huckleby
11-27-2015, 06:03 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUyuRt_WwAANG4Y.jpg:large

The final Packer play. A potential season saving comeback on the line.

Moist-eyed Brett & Bart looking on.

Maybe, just maybe, the elements are in place for a Bostickler moment.

Every player has bad games. There wasn't anything notably inpet about Adams' last flub - not an easy catch. But as a finale to an epically foul 4-quarter performance, DA may have created a packer memory for the ages.

denverYooper
11-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Little high, little fast.

Adams wouldn't have had to catch that if he caught one of several that came his way earlier.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Adams wouldn't have had to catch that if he caught one of several that came his way earlier.

Adams AND Jones, ugh....

ThunderDan
11-27-2015, 07:34 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUyuRt_WwAANG4Y.jpg:large

The final Packer play. A potential season saving comeback on the line.

Moist-eyed Brett & Bart looking on.

Maybe, just maybe, the elements are in place for a Bostickler moment.

Every player has bad games. There wasn't anything notably inpet about Adams' last flub - not an easy catch. But as a finale to an epically foul 4-quarter performance, DA may have created a packer memory for the ages.

ARod in his presser alluded to Cobb being the target at the back of the end zone.

ThunderDan
11-27-2015, 07:35 AM

ARod didn't directly say but mentioned Cobb was at the back of the end zone on that throw.

mraynrand
11-27-2015, 07:58 AM
ARod didn't directly say but mentioned Cobb was at the back of the end zone on that throw.

Perfect - it just makes it even more of a Bostickler.

red
11-27-2015, 08:21 AM
it wasn't a great throw, but when you get both hands on it, you have to catch it

split the award between adams and jones

Patler
11-27-2015, 08:27 AM
ARod in his presser alluded to Cobb being the target at the back of the end zone.

I wondered about that. One of the replays showed Cobb mostly directly behind Adams, right at the end line, and I mentioned it was hard to know which of the two he was throwing to.

Maxie the Taxi
11-27-2015, 08:30 AM
ARod didn't directly say but mentioned Cobb was at the back of the end zone on that throw. Cobb is the one who took that photo of Adams missing it.

Harlan Huckleby
11-27-2015, 10:12 AM
The calls to invite Jones to the awards dais make me think there wasn't a Bostickler-worthy candidate. Jones was never open, and I thought defenders knocked ball away on all but one of his 0-6 targets. Jones had a bad game, but was it as bad as Cobb's stinker in Minnesota the week before?

I thought maybe - only maybe - the Bostickler stench had attached to Adams at the fateful last play - the defeat-snatched-from-jaws-of-victory big moment. Plus Adams had such a very long, 2-13 day.

Did Adams and Jones just have forgettably shitty games?

Here at the Bostickler Institue, we don't pass trophies out just for players having a bad day. The judging panel is keen to decide if a performance will be memorable.

mraynrand
11-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Adams hands down gets the Bostickler. I mean, it's exactly like what the original did - tried to make the play that wasn't intended for him and fucked it up. What more can you ask from a Bostickler. Adams gets it and fuck him. Mr. Blonde, take it away...

Harlan Huckleby
11-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Cobb is the one who took that photo of Adams missing it.

Good catch. I mean, you know.

Harlan Huckleby
11-29-2015, 05:02 PM
http://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/davante-adams-packers.png

red
11-29-2015, 06:26 PM
its funny, did anyone else see the larry mac show a couple weeks ago?

adams walked on to the stage like a conquering hero after catching 9 out of 21 targets thrown to him or whatever it was

of our course, much like with the o-line, Larry saw nothing wrong with adams and did nothing but gush about his performance

is larry on the team payroll?

Harlan Huckleby
11-29-2015, 06:50 PM

I like The Rock. I know he is a glad-handing cornball, but I find him ... something. Entertaining.

MArk Tausher is the former Packer lineman who gets on my nerves. That guy is TOTALLY a company man. No matter how horrible the team plays, it's "just a clunker - don't be so negative." I know everybody loves "Tausch"; I think he is a big dummy. All his commentary is you-rah-rah Captain Obvious stuff.

Speaking of TV shows, after one horrible loss a couple weeks ago, MM showed up for "The Mike McCarthy Show" late wearing loafers and no socks with a suit coat topside. It was one of the funniest goddamn thing I've ever seen. I think he figured he sits behind a dais or desk and nobody would notice. But at end of segment, the camera showed side view of the haggard coach's bare ankles and calves. A fat man in a dark suite and loafers without socks is quite a scene.

Patler
11-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Speaking of TV shows, after one horrible loss a couple weeks ago, MM showed up for "The Mike McCarthy Show" late wearing loafers and no socks with a suit coat topside. It was one of the funniest goddamn thing I've ever seen. I think he figured he sits behind a dais or desk and nobody would notice. But at end of segment, the camera showed side view of the haggard coach's bare ankles and calves. A fat man in a dark suite and loafers without socks is quite a scene.

I've seen that every week from him, loafers and no socks.

pbmax
11-29-2015, 07:46 PM
its funny, did anyone else see the larry mac show a couple weeks ago?

adams walked on to the stage like a conquering hero after catching 9 out of 21 targets thrown to him or whatever it was

of our course, much like with the o-line, Larry saw nothing wrong with adams and did nothing but gush about his performance

Larry is on the team payroll. So is Tausch I think.

mraynrand
11-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Larry is on the team payroll. So is Tausch I think.

yep, they are team hacks. There are two extremes, it seems: the bootlickers and the trolls. Where is that independent, neutral, balanced, hard-boiled realism? The journalism that doesn't get you pulitzers, doesn't earn you more than $0.63/hour, but earns you the respect of fans everywhere. I am asking: where is Cleft Crusty?

George Cumby
11-30-2015, 11:27 AM
It is a sad commentary on our times when the Bostickler gets more play than the FuckDoggle. Sad times, indeed.

Smidgeon
11-30-2015, 11:51 AM
yep, they are team hacks. There are two extremes, it seems: the bootlickers and the trolls. Where is that independent, neutral, balanced, hard-boiled realism? The journalism that doesn't get you pulitzers, doesn't earn you more than $0.63/hour, but earns you the respect of fans everywhere. I am asking: where is Cleft Crusty?

Didn't Tauscher have a reputation as a player of being very insightful, quoteful, etc, etc? I expected him to become a great commentator.

pbmax
11-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Didn't Tauscher have a reputation as a player of being very insightful, quoteful, etc, etc? I expected him to become a great commentator.

He is hovering between being insightful and having any interesting to say being programmed out of him by producers. If you listen to the Badger home games which he works, he does sometimes give good info. But he is clearly trying to morph into a slick narrative teller.

Harlan Huckleby
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Vic Ketchum, or whatever his name is, is on the Packer payroll, and he manages to be critical and take positions sometimes.

Larry very gingerly will criticize the team. Tausch is like a Little League dad, his kids are all above average.

Speaking of the Rock, I get a kick out of when he interviews players in lockerroom after a loss. He lowers his voice and speaks in sympathetic tones, as if he is interviewing parents who just lost a child. Hokey. Maybe the players took the game that seriously in Lar's day.

mraynrand
11-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Speaking of the Rock, I get a kick out of when he interviews players in lockerroom after a loss. He lowers his voice and speaks in sympathetic tones, as if he is interviewing parents who just lost a child. Hokey. Maybe the players took the game that seriously in Lar's day.

I agree. That always cracks me up. Someone needs to tell Larry that today's player will have forgotten the game a few minutes after firing up the PS4.

red
12-04-2015, 09:37 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

dickrod said afterwards in an interview with nfln that he was suppose to box out on the play and that davonte was the guy who was suppose to catch the ball.

but once he saw the ball he decided he just had to go get it

sound familiar?

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/54127/file-2367206706-jpg/86.jpg?t=1448486061073

red
12-04-2015, 09:38 AM
if that doesn't get him the bostickler, i don't know what does

he did the same damn thing. he just caught the ball

pbmax
12-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Well, since securing the ball is job #1, he gets a pass. No one will remember him changing the assignment, just the catch.

George Cumby
12-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Had Bostick caught that ball, we wouldn't even have this thread so count your blessings......or not.........

Patler
12-04-2015, 11:30 AM
In fairness to Rodgers (and Bostick), even other players at the time of the Bostick bungle said everyone can go after the ball, but if it isn't their assignment they better be certain to get it. Going for it isn't wrong for Bostick, going for it and failing to get it made it wrong.

Maxie the Taxi
12-04-2015, 01:21 PM
If that Hail Mary play was yet another target for Adams, I really wonder what the hell Adams has on Stubby. Maybe he caught the coach late at night alone in the locker room or something and had his cell phone on him.

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 03:50 PM
If that Hail Mary play was yet another target for Adams, I really wonder what the hell Adams has on Stubby. Maybe he caught the coach late at night alone in the locker room or something and had his cell phone on him.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2015/07/22/the-chris-farley-we-never-knew-he-was-a-very-sweet-guy-before-midnight/jcr:content/image.crop.800.500.jpg/47923654.cached.jpg

red
12-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Lol

Yup, that has to be pretty damn close

pbmax
12-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Adams is the biggest and tallest receiver. Its not much of a mystery why he is choice #1 on that play.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm disinclined to award a Bostickler to a DB for dropped ints. It's just so common of an error for DBs. Maybe you disagree.

But I just took a look at Larry Fitzgerald's vexing 75 yard play that sealed the game, including a mind-boggling 55 yards after catch by a geriatric WR.

Looky who completely blew the key tackle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URABgeHcckE

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Matthews, Shields, and Clinton-Dix all share the honors of missed tackles.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Matthews, Shields, and Clinton-Dix all share the honors of missed tackles.

Matthews was in the backfield when the ball was thrown 20 yards downfield. He sprinted his ass off to catch up - hard to make tackle there. Shields completely whiffed on an easy and necessary tackle. I don't even see Dix with a shot.

Neither Matthews nor Dix screwed-up there. Dix is shielded from the play by, uhh, Shields.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 12:05 PM
In fairness to Matthews, he was pass rushing on that play and had run 45 yards when he finally caught up to Fitz. That's after the pass rush. He looked pretty gassed by the end of that play. That was a great hustle play just to get there.

Edit: Harlan beat me to it.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 12:09 PM
You missed the more important part. Fitz was open because Peppers dropped coverage.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/365570191.html

Peppers was lined up at right outside linebacker, but he dropped to cover the left flat.

Shields and Hayward were taken downfield in coverage and Clinton-Dix was over the top giving help to Hayward. Randall had no one to cover in his deep third.

Fitzgerald started on the right and then crossed to the left behind Peppers. When Palmer escaped outside of the pocket to the right, Peppers left his spot and gave chase. That left Fitzgerald wide open on the left.

"It was a broken coverage," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Teamcheez1
01-17-2016, 12:11 PM
I can't tell from the replay, but who had a hold of Palmer but couldn't finish the tackle in the backfield?

pbmax
01-17-2016, 12:20 PM
I can't tell from the replay, but who had a hold of Palmer but couldn't finish the tackle in the backfield?

Neal but he got shoved past him. If they had one more guy on the left side, Palmer is a goner.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Peppers did shout out to Fitzgerald to slide after he caught the ball

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
You missed the more important part. Fitz was open because Peppers dropped coverage.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/365570191.htmlYup, game on the line and Dom says: "Let's cover Fitzgerald with Julius Peppers." Brilliant.

run pMc
01-17-2016, 02:36 PM
If Peppers stays in his zone and Palmer throws that ball, with his height and athleticism Peppers probably picks that ball and walks in.
I don't blame Matthews on that play; he's 4 yards behind the QB when the ball is thrown. Ryan gave chase too. Shields and a few others get thumbs down.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:39 PM
The JS is speculating that it was Julius who broke coverage. I can't imagine for a moment Fitz was Peppers man there. When I saw a replay last night it looked like Randall let Fitz go by.

esoxx
01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
It sounds like Pep merits the Bostickler given his breakdown in execution and boneheadedness. Just like last years playoff loss when he told Burnett to get down.

Perhaps he warrants a lifetime achievement Bostickler Trophy.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Yup, game on the line and Dom says: "Let's cover Fitzgerald with Julius Peppers." Brilliant.

Its a zone. He just needs to be back in his zone. You have to make it a tough throw over you. Or, if the article describes the route accurately, the other short zone is missing after Fitzgerald crosses the field.

Patler
01-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Its a zone. He just needs to be back in his zone. You have to make it a tough throw over you. Or, if the article describes the route accurately, the other short zone is missing after Fitzgerald crosses the field.

Yup. If Peppers stayed back, its doubtfully that Palmer would have even tried the across the field throw like that, because underthrown just a bit, Peppers intercepts it. As it was, it was almost a no-risk throw for Palmer, either harmlessly short, completed or overthrown and out of bounds. At worst for the Packers, if Peppers stayed back he might have been able to catch Fitzgerald on his first or second cutback.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2016, 04:39 PM
A scapegoat is desperately needed to get past this painful loss. I can see there'll be no good choices, even if Pepper and Shields are a bit goat-like.

The committee is declaring a winner out of necessity and petty spite. It is a lifetime achievement award this time. Let the healing begin.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=2&dateline=1370027284&type=thumb

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 05:21 PM
^^^^ LOL

esoxx
01-17-2016, 05:23 PM
^^^^
LOL

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2016, 07:18 PM
I'd say McGinn could be persuaded to pin the tail on Sammy.

On Fitzgerald's 75-yard killer, Sam Shields (66) made a pathetic attempt at the tackle and Morgan Burnett (66) got stiff-armed into the turf. Shields had a chance to win the game but dropped a terrible pass by Palmer at the Green Bay 3. He also dropped another interception. Following a month hiatus (concussion), Shields covered well with his fresh legs.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-arizona-cardinals-b99651967z1-365609081.html

pbmax
01-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Capers said Randall should have followed Fitz across the field.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Capers said Randall should have followed Fitz across the field.pb, I got a question for you and your expertise...Assuming Pack was playing zone on that play, why? Why were they not playing man?

pbmax
01-19-2016, 08:32 AM
If they were playing zone, there is no reason. Unless there is a rule about your zone being empty or last receiver to a side, etc.

My suspicion is that they were in some kinda matchup deal. Start in zone (with Peppers dropping) and find the first guy in your area. Then trail him.

I give Dom credit for this. For the first time in forever, I saw multiple coverages on the field. I saw them roll coverage after the snap.* That's a nice change of pace and is necessary for keeping great QBs from murdering you like Manning did in Week 6. Dom did say that Palmer had some of the blitzes figured out in the second half, so i would love to see them align in one pressure and bring the opposite. But very hard to call on the road.

*Easiest to see on Ha-Ha's INT versus Fitz and Randall. if you get the sideline view, you can see the Packers roll the entire coverage to their left. Was pretty nifty.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:47 AM
^^^ Dom mixed it up and at the end of regulation his defense gave up 20 to AZ. If I could have guaranteed that before the game began, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. It was a great effort until the OT.

But I said before the game that the defense needed to score to win the game. Given what happened three weeks prior, the offensive improvement was astonishing, but not good enough. They needed something else, and that something else was Shields making the INT and putting them in scoring range. Oh well.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 09:55 AM
If they were playing zone, there is no reason. Unless there is a rule about your zone being empty or last receiver to a side, etc.

My suspicion is that they were in some kinda matchup deal. Start in zone (with Peppers dropping) and find the first guy in your area. Then trail him.

I give Dom credit for this. For the first time in forever, I saw multiple coverages on the field. I saw them roll coverage after the snap.* That's a nice change of pace and is necessary for keeping great QBs from murdering you like Manning did in Week 6. Dom did say that Palmer had some of the blitzes figured out in the second half, so i would love to see them align in one pressure and bring the opposite. But very hard to call on the road.

*Easiest to see on Ha-Ha's INT versus Fitz and Randall. if you get the sideline view, you can see the Packers roll the entire coverage to their left. Was pretty nifty.

Now could you restate that in English? LOL. What happened to the old school concept of saying: "You take Fitz, I'll cover the tall guy and Clay, you cover the RB?"

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:57 AM
What happened to the old school concept of saying: "You take Fitz, I'll cover the tall guy and Clay, you cover the RB?"

that would be man coverage. If that's all you play, a team like AZ can easily defeat it.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 09:57 AM
^^^ Dom mixed it up and at the end of regulation his defense gave up 20 to AZ. If I could have guaranteed that before the game began, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. It was a great effort until the OT.

But I said before the game that the defense needed to score to win the game. Given what happened three weeks prior, the offensive improvement was astonishing, but not good enough. They needed something else, and that something else was Shields making the INT and putting them in scoring range. Oh well. Our the deflection in the end zone going to our guy instead of theirs for a TD.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Our the deflection in the end zone going to our guy instead of theirs for a TD.

That would have worked too. Harder to get the INT (or the reception) when you are being interfered with.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 10:00 AM
that would be man coverage. If that's all you play, a team like AZ can easily defeat it.Maybe we need better men.:-)

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Capers said Randall should have followed Fitz across the field.

OK, well, so we blame Randall and/or Pepper for the blown coverage, allowing a 20-yard completion. The Packers could survive a 20-yard completion.

What/who allowed Fitz to ramble down the field for a 75 yard dagger? Although about 5 defenders had something of a shot at LF, Shield's brain fart was by far the most atrocious, and it happened at critical moment, allowing a contained LF to break-out into the open field.

ThunderDan
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
OK, well, so we blame Randall and/or Pepper for the blown coverage, allowing a 20-yard completion. The Packers could survive a 20-yard completion.

What/who allowed Fitz to ramble down the field for a 75 yard dagger? Although about 5 defenders had something of a shot at LF, Shield's brain fart was by far the most atrocious, and it happened at critical moment, allowing a contained LF to break-out into the open field.

Clay didn't help either. He was trailing Fitz and he "pulled up" thinking that Shields would force Fitz out of bounds. If he had known what Shields was going to do, he could have easily tackled Fitz from behind and would have had a great shot at stripping the ball from him.

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2016, 11:45 AM
he "pulled up" thinking that Shields would force Fitz out of bounds.

LF was surrounded by Clay, the sideline, Shields, and Burnett deep. Trapped like a rat. Shields had to push the dude out of bounds. How LF was able to cut back inside and spring free was either because LF is a great player or Shields had a brain freeze. Maybe some of both.

esoxx
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
I don't blame Clay at all for that play as he was blitzing and it was only phenomenal effort that he even had a shot at tackling Fitz. I think you have to give it to Shields HH. He clanked the interception that in all likelihood would have secured victory. Throw in the weak tackling effort by him on the OT play and the case appears pretty solid. Although I did like you're initial choice :lol:

Patler
01-19-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't blame Clay at all for that play as he was blitzing and it was only phenomenal effort that he even had a shot at tackling Fitz. I think you have to give it to Shields HH. He clanked the interception that in all likelihood would have secured victory. Throw in the weak tackling effort by him on the OT play and the case appears pretty solid. Although I did like you're initial choice :lol:

Don't forget that Shields dropped an interception, maybe even an easier one, on the Cardinals first possession, somewhere around the Cardinals own 30 yard line or so. Could have set the tone for the game with that one.

esoxx
01-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Don't forget that Shields dropped an interception, maybe even an easier one, on the Cardinals first possession, somewhere around the Cardinals own 30 yard line or so. Could have set the tone for the game with that one.

You're right. Palmer was trying to give the game away and the Packers refused to take it. He hasn't looked sharp the last two games. At all. That's why I think Carolina wins this Sunday.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Don't forget that Shields dropped an interception, maybe even an easier one, on the Cardinals first possession, somewhere around the Cardinals own 30 yard line or so. Could have set the tone for the game with that one.Maybe Shields was still suffering from the concussion. Maybe he still couldn't see straight.:-)

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Huh. I thought the ritual sacrifice of a Mexican would be enough. But it seems the pitchforks and torches are still raised in anger demanding vengeance.

Must lovable, wee Sammy Shields be bostickled?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hqyX1Ncn6Vc/Vdnp4C-s0zI/AAAAAAAATcM/rdS76-uIGb0/s1600/1931_Frankenstein_img28.jpg

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
^^^ Release the hounds!

esoxx
01-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Burn, burn!!!!!

pbmax
01-19-2016, 05:56 PM

I am totally on board for this failure to have many fathers.

denverYooper
01-19-2016, 06:09 PM
You're right. Palmer was trying to give the game away and the Packers refused to take it. He hasn't looked sharp the last two games. At all. That's why I think Carolina wins this Sunday.

This is really what gets me. They had Palmer pretty skittish out there between pass rush and coverage for most of the game and they couldn't put the screws down (mostly by picking off a couple more balls). It's pretty much how we figured it up for a Packer win, except they couldn't capitalize on even half of his mistakes (they were 2/6 on INT opportunities from what I remember).

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 07:20 PM

I am sure in Janis's mind he thought he was going to save the Packers 3 or 4 yards trying to down it at the 1 or 2 instead of letting it go back to the 5 on the bounce. Unfortunately, he touched the ball too hard and started the whole process.

I don't know who between TE Richard 'speedy' Rodgers and Jeff 'the Leaper' Janis won this particular (week 5) Bostickler Trophy Award.

By the way...A brialiant design....Harlan 'Michaelangelo' Huckleby

What does it remind me of.....mmmmm ..... Ohh yea !:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)

Back on point:

Mae and never got back to our Winter life until early Dec. '15 so I wasn't aware of this soon to become renowned award until this evening. Good evening Packerrats..

Reading ThunderDan's description of the .... Jeff 'the Leaper' Janis wanting to do too much errrrr ahhhh play.

That sure appears like a

moment.

https://images.rapgenius.com/d9f93440ef2e1cd1ffef180edca1e179.258x366x1.jpg

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 07:53 PM
This is really what gets me. They had Palmer pretty skittish out there between pass rush and coverage for most of the game and they couldn't put the screws down (mostly by picking off a couple more balls). It's pretty much how we figured it up for a Packer win, except they couldn't capitalize on even half of his mistakes (they were 2/6 on INT opportunities from what I remember).

A definite deja Vous take on how we exited the NFC playoffs last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM
So ........where did that 'marvelous and aggressive' attitude get the Green Bay Packers and PACKER NATION?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNn7ENixBY

RIGHT THERE Mike McCarthy !

Packerrats !!

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Three missed ints?
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/365846241.html

After missing the previous four games with a concussion, cornerback Sam Shields was tremendous in coverage but dropped three potential interceptions. Shields began the game in man coverage of either John Brown or Michael Floyd, depending on the play, and appeared locked in almost immediately. He broke up a pass intended for Floyd on the first possession of the game and played great defense on Brown to contest another incomplete pass on the second possession. Shields’ presence allowed defensive coordinator Dom Capers to play more man defense and bring extra pressure on quarterback Carson Palmer. But Shields dropped at least two balls that should have been interceptions and had a chance on a third. His most glaring miscue came in the fourth quarter, when Shields undercut a route from Floyd near the end zone and dropped a poor pass from Palmer. Three plays later, the Cardinals took a 17-13 lead.
Sheilds had a good game in coverage, but three missed ints and a disasterous flubbed tackle. The committee is hopelessly deadlocked. I'm going to take the extraordinary step of voting to break the deadlock.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2016, 03:58 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/13769.png&w=350&h=254

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Poor Sam, we were so excited to have him come back to visit over the Holidays and now we're glad he's gone (for the Winter).

Smidgeon
01-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Seriously? Shields? His return alone allowed for GB to sit in man coverage and bring all sorts of pressure packages. You can't blame him for dropping interceptions. That isn't Bostickler worthy. Neither is a missed tackle no matter when it happens, especially when you consider the entire defense missed Fitz on that run.

There were no Bosticklers in this game. No fups of epic proportion (foeps). No need to force a winner.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Your point of view was well represented on the committee, Smidgeon. The discussions were heated, even ugly at times.

Jeff Janis received a Bostickler for screwing up just one punt downing. Sam blew three interceptions and a game-changing tackle. Janis accepted his rebuke, then responded with an all-pro level season on special teams. Hopefully Sam will similarly weather this terrible blow and fortify himself with that old saying, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger."

pbmax
01-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Don't forget Hyde letting a punt hit 15 yards in front of him and then roll 17 yards behind him.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 09:59 PM
None of this stuff really rises to Bostickler level. To achieve that level, you have to have the Carolina Panthers talking about not flubbing the Seattle onside kick like Bostickler as they admitted they did after their game on Sunday. None of the mistakes made by the Packers at AZ will be remembered by anyone but bitter Packer fans next year. The Bostickler really should be reserved for shit like this that makes you want to slowly kill yourself with a corkscrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18caPNisP2U

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2018, 07:33 PM
It's time to dust-off the Olde Trophy and make a worthy recognition.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/2577134.png&w=350&h=254
Ty Montgomery

Freak Out
10-29-2018, 01:16 PM
A new trophy should be "The Full Monty". He needs to be shipped to Siberia NOW.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2019, 10:35 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/packers/bzjmqujobazmgen6jg3s.jpg

RashanGary
10-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Ugh

RashanGary
10-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Dude, you could take the picture of him trying to catch that punt and it’s all of the grace of the bostickler trophy

mraynrand
10-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Dude, you could take the picture of him trying to catch that punt and it’s all of the grace of the bostickler trophy

Same with the pass hitting him in the facemask.

Fritz
10-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Maybe instead of cutting him they could perform some kind of ritual humiliation on him. That would make him play better!

mraynrand
10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Always works when you make everyone else do extra work while the culprit watches.