PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS NEED TO ADD TALENT FROM OTHER TEAM'S CUTS

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Packers might scour other teams' trash for treasures
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 2, 2006

Green Bay - Mining the discard pile isn't the preferred way of roster-building in the National Football League but it looks as if the Green Bay Packers won't have much choice.
The Packers' Carlton Brewster can't handle a punt and turns the ball over to the Titans in the third quarter.

Titans receiver Bobby Wade beats Packers cornerback Jason Horton for a TD in the first quarter.

Exceedingly light at a whole host of positions, the Packers might make more news with whom they add rather than whom they subtract today and in the week leading up to the Chicago opener on Sept. 10.

Last year, general manager Ted Thompson traded for a linebacker, Robert Thomas, on cut-down day and, a few days later, signed free-agent tight end Donald Lee and promoted injured fullback Vonta Leach from the practice squad.

On Friday, Thompson was asked if he would consider it distasteful to enter the regular season with as many as five players on the 53-man roster who weren't with the team during training camp.

"If they were better players, no," Thompson replied. "It's not like those guys have been off sun-bathing."

When you were 4-12 and picked for oblivion, maintaining continuity and rewarding players with months if not years in the Packers' system isn't all that important. The Packers need better players, and it would appear that Thompson might be in the market for help at just about every position with the possible exception of tight end, defensive tackle, middle linebacker and long snapper.

The Packers can only hope that players their scouts have become enamored of this summer become available via trade or are released by 5 p.m. today, when all teams must reach the mandatory 53-man limit.

Thompson said he would review tapes of the Tennessee game Friday night and make tentative decisions on how to pare the 73-man roster. After sleeping on it, he and coach Mike McCarthy will begin delivering the sad news to 20 players by midday.

Here's a look at the final considerations at each position, with the number of players currently on the roster in parentheses followed by the number expected to make it.

Wide receiver (8, 5): Robert Ferguson lost his starting job but should be solid as the No. 3. If nothing else, he would add immeasurably to the sickly special teams.

It's a crapshoot after that. Rod Gardner doesn't run real well anymore and hasn't produced. Cory Rodgers, a fourth-round pick, has been an unadulterated bust. And Ruvell Martin, despite his awareness and size, can't run.

Tight end (5, 3 or 4): The Packers kept four tight ends in 2004 and might do it again if they decide to go with just one fullback.

Lee blocked well against Cincinnati on Monday night. Tory Humphrey showed surprising punch as a lead blocker as a fullback Friday against the Titans.

Offensive line (11, 9 or 10): Besides the five starters and rookie Daryn Colledge, it's a mess. Even Chris White would be expendable if a stronger and more aggressive backup center popped free.

The Packers definitely need a veteran guard. Former Colt Tupe Peko can't move his feet and isn't the answer. And, after the way Colledge appeared to regress Friday, they can't be feeling too secure at backup tackle, either.

Left tackle Josh Bourke, a rookie free agent, showed OK potential but remains out with a calf injury. Junius Coston played well at right tackle in Cincinnati and still has untapped potential, but his capacity to contribute seems minimal.

Quarterbacks: (3, 3): The Packers keep saying rookie Ingle Martin is good enough to keep. But don't kid yourself. If a better long-range alternative is cut, they'd swallow his signing bonus and start over with another No. 3.

Running backs (8, 5 or 6): Ahman Green is a lock. William Henderson looks like a lock. It's clear as mud after that.

If four tight ends make it, Leach looks like a goner even though he did block much better in Cincinnati.

At running back, it's a wasteland after Green. Samkon Gado (2.4-yard average) and Najeh Davenport (2.7) had disappointing summers. Gado has more tools and is a better receiver than Davenport, plus he probably is more durable. Neither seems to fit the zone run game, but in time Gado might have the intellect and resolve to figure it out.

Granted, it came against scrubs, but Noah Herron's big fourth quarter Friday might be enough to earn a roster berth.

Nevertheless, Herron is even slower than Davenport and not even in Gado's ballpark as an athlete.

Rookie free agent Arliss Beach was coach Mike Stock's pick to return kickoffs. Then he damaged an ankle against the Bengals and sat out Friday. Still, he's very much in the picture.

Defensive line (12, 9 or 10): Kenny Peterson might have cut himself by suffering an ankle injury Friday. Assuming Peterson goes, there's a tight three-way fight among Mike Montgomery and rookies Jason Hunter and Dave Tollefson for probably two backup jobs at end.

Montgomery always gives it his all but is limited in every category. Hunter can fly off the edge and has been OK against the run. Tollefson, a try-hard type, showed more Friday than he had all summer.

The Packers don't figure to keep six tackles. After Ryan Pickett, the safe bets are Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams and Colin Cole. That leaves Kenderick Allen and rookie Johnny Jolly probably jousting for one berth.

Two scouts said Allen had no trade value. Jolly isn't much of a pass-rusher but has a knack for the ball.

Linebacker (8, 6): Rookie free agent Tim Goodwell is a tough guy but has no chance because the club already is two-deep in the middle. Tracy White has the edge on Roy Manning for the final job outside based on better speed, athletic ability, toughness and special-teams performance.

Secondary (14, 9 or 10): As poorly as Marquand Manuel played in Cincinnati, the Packers can't keep two rookies at safety. Tyrone Culver deserves to stick but free agent Tra Boger doesn't. He has had a million reps and makes too many mistakes each week. Free agent Atari Bigby isn't bad but the Packers need someone who won't have a cast on his broken hand for five or six weeks.

The situation at cornerback behind Al Harris, Charles Woodson and Ahmad Carroll is murky. Jason Horton gave up two touchdown passes Friday. Mike Hawkins turned down two tackles in Cincinnati and there are whispers that he won't play hurt. And Will Blackmon won't be ready until mid-season.

Rookie Antonio Malone, a mid-August addition, has played rather well and is a practice-squad possibility.

Special teams (4, 3): Dave Rayner wrapped up the kicking job with hang times on kickoffs Friday of 3.85, 4.10, 4.16 and 3.93 seconds. Free agent E.J. Cochrane looked impressive in pregame warm-ups but never got on the field.

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Should be interesting to see some of the names cut tomorrow by other teams.

Tarlam!
09-02-2006, 04:06 AM

The reports suggest we'll be lucky to find 45 guys capable of forming a playing roster.

That sucks.

I hope our guys start putting on a show!

Bretsky
09-02-2006, 06:55 AM

The reports suggest we'll be lucky to find 45 guys capable of forming a playing roster.

That sucks.

I hope our guys start putting on a show!

We are not a good team right now.

But if we take the Ron Wolf mentality of constantly looking for better from outside of the organization our talent can be improved in the next week.

B

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 08:11 AM
It's gonna be interesting to see who TT thinks needs replacing.

mngolf19
09-02-2006, 08:48 AM
It's gonna be interesting to see who TT thinks needs replacing.

At this point, should any of your backups (non draftees from 06) be considered irreplaceable if there is possibly something better out there?

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 09:15 AM
I doubt any of 'em slept well last night.

Packnut
09-02-2006, 09:18 AM
IF TT has any brains at all, the airport will be jammed with guys coming in for a tryout.

ahaha
09-02-2006, 09:22 AM
This guy makes it sound like only losing teams sign other players after cut-down day. The Packers have been doing this since 'I can't remember when'.

MasonCrosby
09-02-2006, 09:25 AM
certainly out of all the camp cuts the packers ought to be able to find a couple of guys that can improve the team.... maybe a return man for special teams

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Every team scans the waiver wire including Seahawks and Steelers. We just happen to have dibs.

wist43
09-02-2006, 12:11 PM
They've got to be looking for a punt returner and a veteran guard - they're a completely dysfunctional team without upgrading those two positions.

Moll got pushed around pretty easily by just about everybody he lined up against. That's got to be very discouraging for TT and M3. Based on what I saw (I only watched it once, I'll watch it again some time over the weekend) they've got no choice but to bring in a vet. If upgrading that position means giving up a draft pick in a trade, then that's what they've got to do. The offense has no chance to function efficiently until they get this problem fixed.

Special teams were a nightmare - outside of Jon Ryan who avg'd about 8,000 yds per punt. He's got a huge leg... he's just got to get it under control wrt hang time.

Brewster muffed at least one that I remember - on a fair catch no less, and Rodgers cut himself by looking like a deer in the head lights. Very suprised and disappointed in Rodgers.

Chubbyhubby
09-02-2006, 12:24 PM
What postions do the packers need to improve in signing other team's cuts? Should be intresting. There are alot of holes to fill. Should be sleepless nights for these guys.

ND72
09-02-2006, 12:33 PM
gotta remember, guys aren't "worked out" off of waiver wires right now, cause there are so many teams going after guys....plus if a guy is signed off of waivers, he automatically has to become part of the 53 man roster, just like signing a player off of a practice squad...so if you sign someone, you have to release someone you've had on your team for a while quiet possibly. just a thought i figured i'd put down here.

red
09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
first and foremost we need a guard, like wist said

and if we can't find one on the waiver wire, then we need to shell out a pick and trade for one

i expect to see najeh or gado gone

david martin gone

corey rodgers gone

and maybe fergy

i would rather have charles rodgers then fergy at this point. cut one, sign the other

i also heard ron dayne might be cut. broncos RB, knows how to run in the ZBS, 5.1 ypc last year, big brusing back, wisconsin guy. he might be something to watch for

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Ron Dayne stinks, and I'd be surprised if David Martin got cut. He's been running ahead of Donald Lee all preseason.

ND72
09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
first and foremost we need a guard, like wist said

and if we can't find one on the waiver wire, then we need to shell out a pick and trade for one

i expect to see najeh or gado gone

david martin gone

corey rodgers gone

and maybe fergy

i would rather have charles rodgers then fergy at this point. cut one, sign the other

i also heard ron dayne might be cut. broncos RB, knows how to run in the ZBS, 5.1 ypc last year, big brusing back, wisconsin guy. he might be something to watch for

agree with a lot of this...#1, We have, in my opinion, 7-8 Legit DT's...i'd only keep 5...i'd move one or 2 of them if you can, get a Guard and maybe a DE, maybe...

I think Gado or Davenport will be gone...

Don't think Martin will be gone, i know the coaches like his blocking

don't expect Fergy to be gone, so forget that part.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Do you think we'll find someone on the wire fast enough to keep up in punt coverage?

p.s. Dear Mr McGinn, Duh! No shit. We'd be idiots to ignore the cuts.