PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Chargers

Joemailman
10-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Studs

James Starks - 10 carries for 112 yards and 1 TD
Jeff Janis - 2 catches for 79 yards and great block on Starks' TD.
Aaron Rodgers - 255 yards and 2 TD's with a really depleted offense.
Nate Palmer - 9 tackes and 2 assists.
Randall - Up and down game but 2 big plays late, including the last one.
Datone Jones - Key sack and tackle for loss late in game

Duds

Pass defense - Not sure who to single out. Just couldn't get off the field.
Clements - Abandoned the running game for a long stretch.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Should probably add the packer lineman who fell on or dug out that late fumble. That could have been a game loser.

pbmax
10-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Should probably add the packer lineman who fell on or dug out that late fumble. That could have been a game loser.

Lang.

pbmax
10-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Rollins struggled in coverage and tackling. Not his best game. Wasn't out there much in second half.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Rivers. Sonofabitch ate us up. Don't care of he is a Charger, he was a major stud

ThunderDan
10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Rollins struggled in coverage and tackling. Not his best game. Wasn't out there much in second half.

I noticed that Rollins got snaps over Randall in the first half. Maybe a reward for last week's good game. He didn't play well and Randall got second half snaps.

King Friday
10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Dud

For him, Aaron Rodgers. When we need to actually just get one first down just to keep our defense off the field for another 2 minutes so they can grab some water, stop throwing 30 yards downfield on 3rd and 1.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Rivers. Sonofabitch ate us up. Don't care of he is a Charger, he was a major stud

Their receiver Allen turned into Jerry Rice.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Their receiver Allen turned into Jerry Rice.

He's a stud every week. He was injured much of last year, but he's back to being one of the best in the league.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2015, 09:06 PM
TT is the main stud for having depth to eke out a win before the bye. So many players out.

pbmax
10-18-2015, 09:10 PM
I noticed that Rollins got snaps over Randall in the first half. Maybe a reward for last week's good game. He didn't play well and Randall got second half snaps.

He did last week too. Wasn't as good this week.

red
10-18-2015, 09:18 PM
our pass defense until the very last play was a complete joke. lb's, cb's and safeties. all shit

500 fucking yards

red
10-18-2015, 09:20 PM
studs

our wardrobe designers

the uniforms looked very cool today with the mustard yellow helmets imo

Rutnstrut
10-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Dud- Clay Mathews for getting owned by a midget of a RB multiple times. Also stubby for abandoning the run game when it was hot. You can't tell me he isn't still calling the plays, this was too much like a stubby game plan. Add spraypaint hair to the duds, and that should be self explanatory.

run pMc
10-18-2015, 10:02 PM
James Starks - 10 carries for 112 yards and 1 TD Starks also had a receiving TD.

I'm looking forward to all the Janis fans to talk about his game. 180 from last week...the response from Rodgers on the 33yard catch and run was interesting. Wonder if he's finally "gaining the trust of the QB".

The Rivers to Allen show was pretty incredible. The defense has to be gassed.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-19-2015, 05:35 AM
studs

our wardrobe designers

the uniforms looked very cool today with the mustard yellow helmets imo

Hmm, different strokes for different strokes I guess. I dont like those unis. In fact, near end of game I was screaming at the team to go change back to the regular unis to try to save the game.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Starks also had a receiving TD.

I'm looking forward to all the Janis fans to talk about his game. 180 from last week...the response from Rodgers on the 33yard catch and run was interesting. Wonder if he's finally "gaining the trust of the QB".

The Rivers to Allen show was pretty incredible. The defense has to be gassed.

I wish I understood why Starks does not get more snaps. Dude just continues to make plays.

Fritz
10-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Datone Jones really played well, I thought. He made some great plays, both in the pass rush and against the run.

I think Raji was missed today.

Eddie Lacey - if he's really okay, his ankle and all, then a dud for somehow getting himself benched. If his ankle's worse than they're letting on, then duds to the team for being so devious about injuries.

Phillip Rivers gets a stud for the other side. Wow, that dude is really incredible.

And a dud for Capers for never being able to figure out how to stop those damn crossing routes. It was like watching the defense from two or three years ago.

3irty1
10-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Other than Rollins, I can't pick anyone out who had an individually bad day in pass defense from the secondary. Seems like they were just victims of a hot QB who was in cockroach mode for all 4 quarters. Right away they were gambling with high variance stuff and it almost worked.

Our OLB really struggled beating those little guys to the edge for what seemed like 10 easy first downs. Good games by HHCD, Datone Jones, and Nate Palmer I thought.

On offense it feels like the only guy playing up to their potential is the middle of the Oline, Starks, and Jones. I'm glad we've got a bye.

3irty1
10-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Datone Jones really played well, I thought. He made some great plays, both in the pass rush and against the run.

I think Raji was missed today.

Eddie Lacey - if he's really okay, his ankle and all, then a dud for somehow getting himself benched. If his ankle's worse than they're letting on, then duds to the team for being so devious about injuries.

Phillip Rivers gets a stud for the other side. Wow, that dude is really incredible.

And a dud for Capers for never being able to figure out how to stop those damn crossing routes. It was like watching the defense from two or three years ago.

I think Eddie is playing his way into shape this year.

pbmax
10-19-2015, 07:53 AM
DJ on Goal Line stand: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/333938341.html

Third and goal. Woodhead is slammed inside by defensive end Datone Jones for a loss.

If Datone Jones can be serviceable against the run, then the D line will be a strength all year.

Der Lehrer
10-19-2015, 08:01 AM

Did you hear Philip Rivers on more than one occasion call the double A-gap blitz correctly? It was plain as day on the telecast at least twice. It's pretty easy to throw those slants when you know the linebackers are blitzing. We showed too much pre-snap.

Fritz
10-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Did you hear Philip Rivers on more than one occasion call the double A-gap blitz correctly? It was plain as day on the telecast at least twice. It's pretty easy to throw those slants when you know the linebackers are blitzing. We showed too much pre-snap.

I did see that. I think this is a good point. Maybe it would pay to delay the blitz slightly.

Smidgeon
10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Stud: Raji and Perry: Raji showed how valuable he is as an interior rusher. The Packers couldn't get any interior push until late in the game. The run D was still good, but the middle pass rush was nonexistent. Perry showed how valuable he is collapsing the pocket with his bull. Not a lot of pocket collapsing going on until Datone stepped it up on the other side. In sum, Raji and Perry work together well.

Honorary mention to Janis for his block on Starks' TD. He saw Starks, saw the defender, then turned on the jets to make the block. It's like he runs at 80% of his top speed just to be the same speed as everyone else, then turns it up to 100% when he sees something that needs to get done. He went top speed on the block, top speed on the long catch to get under the ball, and top speed when he caught the short pass. And he is always going that speed on special teams. If he can ever show consistency and further develop his football awareness...

Smidgeon
10-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I wish I understood why Starks does not get more snaps. Dude just continues to make plays.

In doses, he's great. Carrying the load, his lack of great vision eventually gets infuriating. He can have a great game or series, but he's just as likely to have a game or series where he doesn't see the running lanes. I like Starks. He has this uncanny ability to always squirt forward for an additional three yards after being tackled.

Lacy is slower and less wriggly, but he's more consistent and harder to tackle.

Plus, I've never understood why Starks doesn't lead the league in fumbles. He carries the ball away from his body so often.

Bossman641
10-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Dud - third down D
Stud - punt return coverage

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Carrying the load, his lack of great vision eventually gets infuriating. He can have a great game or series, but he's just as likely to have a game or series where he doesn't see the running lanes.
All running backs are like this. I remember a game where the Packers held Barry Sanders to 12 yards.

Lacy is slower and less wriggly, but he's more consistent and harder to tackle.
I agree with this. Lacy & Lynch are really strong runners who consistently pound-out 5 yard gains where most backs are stopped at 3.

pbmax
10-19-2015, 01:08 PM
I did see that. I think this is a good point. Maybe it would pay to delay the blitz slightly.

Then everyone is mad about boring stupid delayed blitzes that don't accomplish much.

You aren't going to fool Rivers much. And the purpose of those blitzes (assuming they don't result in a sack) is to get the ball out of the QB hand's in a hurry. Then the D doesn't need to play man coverage for a day. But even when they threw early and short, people were open.

SD played so the Packers pass rush couldn't take over the game. So they went with a micro passing game. If they would have stopped the YAC, they would have been oK. If they had stopped the four deep balls, they would have been OK. But you can't have all three and be successful as a D.

pbmax
10-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 4h4 hours ago
RT @JerryWindisch 12 is the best but he's in a funk w/o MM which pisses him off I bet.

RT @FlaPack: Ted needs to get his head out of his ass and try to make a trade for either a better TE or WO.

RT @Delecast: Rodgers gets paid $20+ mil per yr. Forgive @bjohnson613 et al for not carrying his water like you do when he doesn't play well

RT @JerryWindisch: What has Cobb done ? MIA

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3h3 hours ago
#Blocked RT @etronsman: I'm a Packer fan living in Jacksonville. We need to have some perspective here, folks.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 46m46 minutes ago
RT @RapSheet #Packers WR Ty Montgomery suffered a regular ol’ ankle sprain on Sunday. With bye week, hasn’t been ruled out vs. #Broncos yet.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 43m43 minutes ago
With #Packers on bye week, @RobDemovsky could come down and do hang times for you. RT @CodyMandell29: Time to work

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 14m14 minutes ago
Well, obviously. RT @JSComments: Seems this is personal from Aaron, what happened between him and Janis?

mraynrand
10-19-2015, 01:42 PM
He's a stud every week. He was injured much of last year, but he's back to being one of the best in the league.

Packers are lucky he got dinged up and wasn't a factor late.

mraynrand
10-19-2015, 01:44 PM
SD had a great game plan - totally abandoned the run, and got the ball out fast fast fast. negate GB's two strengths - pass rush and run D. For whatever reason, Capers is just not confident having his secondary play bump and run. It was hands off in the secondary all day.

At least he adjusted to throw in some major pressures in the second half, otherwise Rivers would have had 600-700 yards passing.

mraynrand
10-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Partial Dud - no huddle when the defense is gassed - I guess it worked, but it also got the defense out there again

Dud - Rodgers and his excessive distrust of his lesser receivers.

MadScientist
10-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Extra big dud to the pass rush. Going against a line missing 3 starters, and they couldn't get pressure even with a blitz.

sharpe1027
10-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Partial Dud - no huddle when the defense is gassed - I guess it worked, but it also got the defense out there again

Dud - Rodgers and his excessive distrust of his lesser receivers.

To be fair, they often run the play clock down even in the no huddle.

mraynrand
10-19-2015, 02:04 PM
To be fair, they often run the play clock down even in the no huddle.

that's a good point, but I was watching it pretty closely and it wasn't always a complete run down. If it helped them move the ball, I guess you have to put up with it, since they were so erratic and incompetent on multiple drives.

Der Lehrer
10-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Then everyone is mad about boring stupid delayed blitzes that don't accomplish much.

You aren't going to fool Rivers much. And the purpose of those blitzes (assuming they don't result in a sack) is to get the ball out of the QB hand's in a hurry. Then the D doesn't need to play man coverage for a day. But even when they threw early and short, people were open.

SD played so the Packers pass rush couldn't take over the game. So they went with a micro passing game. If they would have stopped the YAC, they would have been oK. If they had stopped the four deep balls, they would have been OK. But you can't have all three and be successful as a D.

Clearly those double dog alignment tendencies are well-established. Just show it and back out once or twice.

One could also play coverage if the micro-passing game is all that's being called. Rushing 5-6 plays right into the hands of the offense since there is no way to get there in time. It's hard to line up and tackle when you have to cover so much ground to get to the receiver.

You're right though, we had an off night on competition for balls in the air. Usually that's a team strength. We didn't win 50/50 balls much.

sharpe1027
10-19-2015, 02:32 PM
that's a good point, but I was watching it pretty closely and it wasn't always a complete run down. If it helped them move the ball, I guess you have to put up with it, since they were so erratic and incompetent on multiple drives.

Yeah, the primary problem was not being able to make first downs.

pbmax
10-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Anyone else reminded of the Cardinals playoff game with all the crossing routes running across the middle of the field?

sharpe1027
10-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Anyone else reminded of the Cardinals playoff game with all the crossing routes running across the middle of the field?

Nomination for asshole post of the week. Nobody needs that dredged up.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Nomination for asshole post of the week.

A new thread opportunity?

MadScientist
10-19-2015, 04:08 PM
A new thread opportunity?

Nah, around here that thread will likely reach the size of the Favre thread by the end of the season.

Smidgeon
10-19-2015, 05:30 PM

I remember the offensive pass interferences and facemask that weren't called. That game?

<grrrr>

channtheman
10-19-2015, 05:36 PM
I remember the offensive pass interferences and facemask that weren't called. That game?

<grrrr>

I remember Rodgers over throwing Jennings for the game winning 80 yard TD in overtime. :bang:

pbmax
10-19-2015, 06:08 PM

<grrrr>

Well, I was thinking about the Card's offense but yeah, that game.