PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week7 @ Broncos

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Worst 6-1 team this year or ever? Be sure to answer Harlan's poll and captured your unrestrained panic in the accompanying thread.

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSx4n0OUAAAVA_N.png:large

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Mark Tauscher ‏@MarkTauscher65 3m3 minutes ago
I really hope @Delta isn't serving chicken parm on the charter back to GB #SNF

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSkvHRGUEAEd5xY.jpg

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy: Denver was clearly the better team tonight. Very humbling loss. #GBvsDEN

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 53s54 seconds ago
McCarthy: We didn't break their rhythm on offense. They ran it well. Explosive gains were lopsided in Denver's favor. #GBvsDEN

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 41s42 seconds ago
Credit to MM for admitting Kubiak did a much better job tonight than he did.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 16s16 seconds ago
That's all from McCarthy. #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers will be at the podium in a few minutes. Live stream: http://pack.rs/3xkmr #GBvsDEN

WELL THAT IS INTERESTING. NORMALLY YOU GET 4 TWEETS FROM THE PACKERS ACCOUNT AFTER A WIN. AFTER A LOSS? TWO APPARENTLY*

*I am not being serious.

Bossman641
11-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Worst loss I can remember in a while. There wasn't a single thing I felt good about tonight.

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 10m10 minutes ago
Rodgers:We're 6-1. We've got to correct some of these things and move on. #GBvsDEN

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 9m9 minutes ago
Rodgers: This is the kind of thing that will make everybody a little more on edge this week. Have another tough game in Carolina next.

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 8m8 minutes ago
Rodgers says tonight was more about what #Packers didn't do rather than what Broncos did.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
That's all from Rodgers. Visit http://packers.com for more #GBvsDEN postgame coverage.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m6 minutes ago
Scary thing is the Broncos covered GB's three-receiver sets from their base defense. Didn't even bother to play five DBs.

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSyAJoSUAAArUqS.png:large

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 22s23 seconds ago
Mike McCarthy: I haven't had my ass kicked like that in a long time http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/339205011.html …

channtheman
11-02-2015, 12:16 AM
The Broncos biggest win before today was beating the one win Lions by 12 points. They've won games against the Raves by 6, Raiders by 6, Browns by 3. It was their highest scoring offensive performance of the year. (They scored 31 against the Chiefs, but the D had a fumble for TD). Fortunately, this game doesn't mean much as far as tiebreakers etc. Next week against Carolina is going to be a huge one for home field advantage potential. If we come out like this again next week, get ready for one and done in the playoffs.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Worst loss I can remember in a while. There wasn't a single thing I felt good about tonight.

There are 2 good things about this mess: 1. This is an AFC game. 2. If we are gonna have a stinker I'd rather it be now than later.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 01:37 AM
The Broncos biggest win before today was beating the one win Lions by 12 points. They've won games against the Raves by 6, Raiders by 6, Browns by 3. It was their highest scoring offensive performance of the year. (They scored 31 against the Chiefs, but the D had a fumble for TD). Fortunately, this game doesn't mean much as far as tiebreakers etc. Next week against Carolina is going to be a huge one for home field advantage potential. If we come out like this again next week, get ready for one and done in the playoffs.

If we continue to play like this we'll be lucky to get a wild card spot.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 01:40 AM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 10m10 minutes ago
Rodgers:We're 6-1. We've got to correct some of these things and move on. #GBvsDEN

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 9m9 minutes ago
Rodgers: This is the kind of thing that will make everybody a little more on edge this week. Have another tough game in Carolina next.

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 8m8 minutes ago
Rodgers says tonight was more about what #Packers didn't do rather than what Broncos did.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
That's all from Rodgers. Visit http://packers.com for more #GBvsDEN postgame coverage.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m6 minutes ago
Scary thing is the Broncos covered GB's three-receiver sets from their base defense. Didn't even bother to play five DBs.

They didn't have too. They have a great front line and superior DBs. One of our biggest issues on offense is our WRs can't seem to get open against physical secondaries. This has been an issue for a while now.

Fritz
11-02-2015, 05:33 AM

Every team needs to have something it can hang its hat on. This team doesn't.

Early in the season, the defense was lights out, and I thought that this was a team that could go a long, long way. I hadn't seen a Packer pass rush like that in a long, long time, and the run defense was phenomenal, too.

But now, the pass rush, starting with San Diego and carrying into the Denver game, is gone. Credit the quick passes of opposing QB's, but even on longer plays, the pass rush isn't getting anywhere.

I'm not throwing in the fan towel, but I am concerned. I want to see this defense get scary like it was earlier in the year. But right now, all I see is Micah Hyde or Nate Palmer running two yards behind the opponent's tight end across the middle of the field, over and over and over.

SkinBasket
11-02-2015, 07:08 AM
This was the perfect time and place to lose a game. I don't even mind that it was never really a game. But coming off a bye week is concerning from a coaching perspective, and Micah Hyde can't cover a turd with a blanket. Watching Hayward play should also make people appreciate our drafting genius this past draft. Games are won and lost in the trenches? That was true last night. Our guys played like the French against the Nazis. Yeah, I know, trenches were WW I, but you get the idea.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 07:14 AM
^^^^ The Packers O-line looked like the French Filet Mignon line against the Nazis

Patler
11-02-2015, 07:21 AM
^^^^ The Packers O-line looked like the French Filet Mignon line against the Nazis

Against the Nazis' Blatz keg?

pbmax
11-02-2015, 08:23 AM
^ Partially explains the taste of Blatz.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m10 minutes ago
One bit of good news for #Packers. Early indications are Sam Shields' shoulder injury isn't serious, according to source. He's day to day

pbmax
11-02-2015, 01:26 PM
JSComments @JSComments

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS1AXl3UwAAgmgM.png:large

He had to make this an image. Too much info and educatin' for a summary.

denverYooper
11-02-2015, 01:49 PM
FWIW, the Packers tried several times to get the short game going and the Broncos were blowing it up. Cobb had 3 short receptions early where he just got blown up right away for negative yardage. Adams had a pretty rough time out there too. He had a couple of bad drops and was having a tough time getting away from the Broncos CBs.

At one point, the Packers lined up Ripkowski out wide, Richard Rodgers inside and tried to get Adams the ball behind those guys. That died quickly.

It's actually too bad Rodgers couldn't get the ball to James Jones on the one deep play where Jones broke in and Rodgers threw out. That might have backed Denver up a little bit. The one place they are a little vulnerable, for whatever reason, is deep left. That was there a couple of times but I don't think Rodgers got to look that far very often.

Freak Out
11-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Rodgers barely had time to look at his #1...and it was always covered it seemed.

Patler
11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m10 minutes ago
One bit of good news for #Packers. Early indications are Sam Shields' shoulder injury isn't serious, according to source. He's day to day

Wasn't Burnett day to day for a week or more, then downgraded and out for a month?
Or was that Adams?

denverYooper
11-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Rodgers barely had time to look at his #1...and it was always covered it seemed.

It actually didn't look that bad at the game, at least not until midway through the 3rd qtr when the Broncos started putting the screws down. Rodgers was running around quite a bit but it looked like he got some decent looks at times. I was surprised by how little they got to him in the first half.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 03:04 PM
It actually didn't look that bad at the game, at least not until midway through the 3rd qtr when the Broncos started putting the screws down. Rodgers was running around quite a bit but it looked like he got some decent looks at times. I was surprised by how little they got to him in the first half.

Agreed. I'm rewatching the 1st half and that's how I see it. He either held the ball or threw off target. He sure wasn't taking any chance throws.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:47 PM
We should be glad Rodgers got out of that game in one piece. He was getting hammered repeatedly.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Agreed. I'm rewatching the 1st half and that's how I see it. He either held the ball or threw off target. He sure wasn't taking any chance throws.

It almost seems like he is so averse to throw a pick he will not throw a ball to a WR unless he is wide open. He hasn't been the same QB since the Rams game. :sad:

red
11-02-2015, 03:50 PM
It almost seems like he is so averse to throw a pick he will not throw a ball to a WR unless he is wide open. He hasn't been the same QB since the Rams game. :sad:

really really, wide open

they would say last night that no one would be open, then they would show the replay and i would see at least 3 guys that were "pretty" open during the play

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
really really, wide open

they would say last night that no one would be open, then they would show the replay and i would see at least 3 guys that were "pretty" open during the play

This is concerning to say the least. What in the hell is wrong with him? Is he so worried about his line he isn't looking downfield like he once did? :cnf: I hope he saw this when they looked at the tape today.

red
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM
This is concerning to say the least. What in the hell is wrong with him? Is he so worried about his line he isn't looking downfield like he once did? :cnf: I hope he saw this when they looked at the tape today.

sure looks like it. he's looking for ways to get out of the pocket before he even finishes the drop. he's probably missing wide open guys cause he isn't looking at then, he's looking at the pass rushers

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
It almost seems like he is so averse to throw a pick he will not throw a ball to a WR unless he is wide open. He hasn't been the same QB since the Rams game. :sad:.

He's probably neurotic about throwing picks. Plus, Stubby probably emphasized no turnovers in this game. But red is right. There weren't guys open every play, but there were some tight windows he could have thrown to. On the other hand, he didn't have his usual accuracy. And he had gotten his bell rung in the first quarter.

Part of the problem is when the pocket broke down Cobb, Jones, etc. never broke back toward Arod. They always turned downfield. Lacy did the same thing when he was playing receiver. And Lacy ain't much of a receiver. They need a real 3rd-down-type pass receiver out of the backfield IMO and/or a mobile tight end.

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 04:30 PM
sure looks like it. he's looking for ways to get out of the pocket before he even finishes the drop. he's probably missing wide open guys cause he isn't looking at then, he's looking at the pass rushers

Of course a few times last night the DE beat ARod to the spot he was dropping to.

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Part of the problem is when the pocket broke down Cobb, Jones, etc. never broke back toward Arod. They always turned downfield. Lacy did the same thing when he was playing receiver. And Lacy ain't much of a receiver. They need a real 3rd-down-type pass receiver out of the backfield IMO and/or a mobile tight end.

I think this is what I really took out of the game last night. It would be great to have a real 3rd down RB to take pressure off of the QB. Little quick hitters where we hope the RB is quick enough to make the first guy miss and go for 20 yards.

red
11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
its like his first read isn't to a target, his first read is looking for a way to get out of the pocket, then he'll worry about where the receivers are

Smidgeon
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
FWIW, the Packers tried several times to get the short game going and the Broncos were blowing it up. Cobb had 3 short receptions early where he just got blown up right away for negative yardage. Adams had a pretty rough time out there too. He had a couple of bad drops and was having a tough time getting away from the Broncos CBs.

At one point, the Packers lined up Ripkowski out wide, Richard Rodgers inside and tried to get Adams the ball behind those guys. That died quickly.

It's actually too bad Rodgers couldn't get the ball to James Jones on the one deep play where Jones broke in and Rodgers threw out. That might have backed Denver up a little bit. The one place they are a little vulnerable, for whatever reason, is deep left. That was there a couple of times but I don't think Rodgers got to look that far very often.

Par for the course in his career.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM

That is a dead on assessment. I think he is so worried about throwing picks, that he avoids anything other than a complete wide open receiver.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM

That's kind of my take on it. He is so gunshy because of the line and lack of receivers he trusts.

Freak Out
11-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Sometimes you have to just chuck it like the old gunslinger. :)

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Sometimes you have to just chuck it like the old gunslinger. :)

Maybe not quite so many risks, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

denverYooper
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Maybe not quite so many risks, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We've had a lot of discussion here about Rodgers's risk/reward calculations and how he might need to tilt those a bit in situations like last night. Once the Broncos kept scoring in the 3rd quarter, it became clear that he needed to push it some more.

But then, they punted down 3 scores with around 8 minutes to go. The game was over after that because the defense was gassed, Matthews was injured, and they were down 3 players. So the risk aversion runs deep.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 06:09 PM
We've had a lot of discussion here about Rodgers's risk/reward calculations and how he might need to tilt those a bit in situations like last night. Once the Broncos kept scoring in the 3rd quarter, it became clear that he needed to push it some more.

But then, they punted down 3 scores with around 8 minutes to go. The game was over after that because the defense was gassed, Matthews was injured, and they were down 3 players. So the risk aversion runs deep.

I stated in the game thread that it was apparent they were throwing in the towel at that point, and I really think they were. This team isn't built for adversity, they are built for everything to pretty much go their way.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Its pressure up the gut that made the difference. Rodgers has collected MVP's while avoiding edge rushers as they swoop past Marshmallow and Barclay. But pressure up the middle does two things. It makes it harder to get a window to see and to throw. Rodgers is 6' 2" and guys in his face matter more that they would to Manning or BenR.

The other thing it does is make escapes from edge pressure harder. When you get both, and the Broncos did, its not good.

Yoop and Maxie may be right that he had more time in the first half, but it looked a LOT like last year's early cold stretch when the no huddle was yielding net negative results. Problem is that M3 is not accepting that explanation at his PC right now. So its going to be a couple of weeks before it gets worked out.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I stated in the game thread that it was apparent they were throwing in the towel at that point, and I really think they were. This team isn't built for adversity, they are built for everything to pretty much go their way.\

When they got down by 3 scores and only 8 minutes to go in the game they knew deep down they were screwed. You could see the disappointment and disbelief in their faces. I'm not gonna tar and feather them for that. Those are human beings inside those helmets. It can't be any fun to be on the receiving end of a beat down like that. Every team experiences this at one time or another. I pray we don't have a game like that again in a while. Vic on packers.com said he didn't think any team could have come into that game and that stadium last night and won. We went into the game expecting a regular season game and the donkeys came in like it was a playoff game. We'll soon see if that was their peak and if we can brush this aside and direct all of our efforts on Carolina. Dwelling on that disaster won't do us any good come Sunday.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 56m56 minutes ago
It's a free country you don't own this board and I'll vent how I want to vent. Don't read my posts if you don't want to.

Ah the good old days.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Its pressure up the gut that made the difference. Rodgers has collected MVP's while avoiding edge rushers as they swoop past Marshmallow and Barclay. But pressure up the middle does two things. It makes it harder to get a window to see and to throw. Rodgers is 6' 2" and guys in his face matter more that they would to Manning or BenR.

The other thing it does is make escapes from edge pressure harder. When you get both, and the Broncos did, its not good.

Yoop and Maxie may be right that he had more time in the first half, but it looked a LOT like last year's early cold stretch when the no huddle was yielding net negative results. Problem is that M3 is not accepting that explanation at his PC right now. So its going to be a couple of weeks before it gets worked out.

Last night was not one of Josh Sitton's finest hours. He messed up quite a few times by whiffing on blocks. That was uncharacteristic of him.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 07:17 PM
MM PC

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 53m53 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy on Clay Matthews and his injured ankle: "As of right now I would say the concern is not high."

McCarthy: "We're really focused on getting back to the things that we do well, things we really haven't done the last two weeks."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 55m55 minutes ago
McCarthy said the most important part of video study is not getting too down on yourself or overreacting.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
On playing from behind: "It's the game of football." Have to be able to come from behind. Experiences like that "galvanize" team.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 54m54 minutes ago
McCarthy said what bothered him most was his team playing with slow tempo. "As a coach, you have to take full responsibility for that."

Rodgers said some things needed to change schematically. McCarthy said those comments come out of "frustration."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 54m54 minutes ago
McCarthy said player comments about needing to be more creative are "a reflection of frustration between players and coaches."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 54m54 minutes ago
McCarthy: This stretch here is very difficult. We had plenty of adversity in Denver, and we'll be a better football team because of it.

The scramble plays by Rodgers are not something the Packers rely on, according to McCarthy. The offense seems to hinge on it, though.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 53m53 minutes ago
McCarthy on receivers not getting open: Calls it a blanket statement. Good defense. "They matched up very well against us."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 52m52 minutes ago
Players in the locker room said the Broncos (and Manning) took a lot from the Chargers' game plan two weeks ago. McCarthy disagreed.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 52m52 minutes ago
McCarthy on lack of pressure on Peyton: "I really put the large part of the defensive struggles on the run game....We need to stop the run."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 51m51 minutes ago
McCarthy asked about acquisitions with the trade deadline looming. "I'm aware of what's out there, but I have nothing really to report."

???? ????

pbmax
11-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Capers PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 42m42 minutes ago
Capers: "Our play style" wasn't as good as it had been, especially early in game.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 42m42 minutes ago
Capers: "We have to play better against the run." Gave up five explosive runs, two for TDs.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 43m43 minutes ago
Dom Capers said this week against Carolina will be almost entirely opposite scheme-wise because of Newton's mobility, power running game.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 42m42 minutes ago
Capers: "To me the biggest culprit in the game last night was the fact that they broke some big runs on us, enabled play-action pass."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 39m39 minutes ago
Capers on Broncos playing faster: Denver got early momentum - formula GB has used in its six wins.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 36m36 minutes ago
Capers said the loss of Sam Shields prevented him from moving Casey Hayward inside to the slot, which they wanted to try.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 32m32 minutes ago
Capers: "I'm confident that we can play good run defense. I've seen us play good run defense."

Bennett PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 25m25 minutes ago
Bennett on lack of big plays without Nelson: "We need to go back and self-scout, making the necessary adjustments and corrections."

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 32m32 minutes ago
Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett on how WRs can get open more: "We understand what needs to happen."

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 30m30 minutes ago
Bennett: "We have been explosive in certain games, but we haven't been consistent." #Packers

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 24m24 minutes ago
#Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett: "Our players are good enough, our scheme is good enough."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
"We'll be a better team. We'll learn from this," Bennett says.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 26m26 minutes ago
Bennett on Janis: "Just like all of our young guys, they'll have opportunities. When his time comes again, apply that same experience."

Clements PC

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m20 minutes ago
Tom Clements: We haven't been consistent enough. Situational football we're not performing as well as we need. Third-down not converting.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
Clements: Each week is different. You see opponent and try to come up with plan. It's on-going process. Always striving to correct things.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
Clements: When any team gets ready and watch film and see what effective if they can emulate it they will. Won't surprise us to see similar.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 18m18 minutes ago
Clements on talent: We're comfortable with guys we have. We didn't execute as well. It's a long season. That was one game.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17m17 minutes ago
Clements on Denver using base defense vs. 3-WR sets. Did that half the time on tape. Something Wade Phillips has done - did it w/HOU v GB.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
Clements on WRs: It's difficult to get open in the NFL. There's a small area that constitutes being open. At times we were and at times not.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
Clements on Rodgers: He was fine. I'm sure a little frustrated. Still talking with line, receivers and make sure everyone on same page.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Clements on third down: Defenses aren't surprising them. "It's hard to get open in the NFL" and QB must try to "throw the guy open."

Zook PC

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 13m13 minutes ago
Ron Zook said the Packers weren't thinking about an onside kick Sunday night, but "we had some things" under consideration.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
Zook: We had a couple things (tricks) ready. They were ready for those. When fighting uphill don't want to give them more momentum.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
Zook on kickoffs: Micah was getting gassed. Playing a lot of plays so I feel good about Abbrederis. He's a guy who can do it. Experience.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12m12 minutes ago
Abbrederis took the one kickoff from deep. That was his decision - and a poor one - and not a team decision trying for a jump-start.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 12m12 minutes ago
Ron Zook said he saw Quinten Rollins today at the facility. Rollins indicated that he would be OK.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8m8 minutes ago
Zook on the team as a whole: "It's not broken. We'll get it fixed."

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM

I'm talking about much earlier, like a crossing route to Adams that had a chance.

Still, Denver had the Packers number. I dunno if risking more woulda helped. Maybe get a couple of interceptions earlier and ice the game before Clay got hurt. :)

mr_blonde
11-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Rodgers said some things needed to change schematically. McCarthy said those comments come out of "frustration."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 53m53 minutes ago
McCarthy on receivers not getting open: Calls it a blanket statement. Good defense. "They matched up very well against us."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 52m52 minutes ago
Players in the locker room said the Broncos (and Manning) took a lot from the Chargers' game plan two weeks ago. McCarthy disagreed.

I'm afraid based on these comments, McCarthy and his staff are never going to get it .....
As the article below highlights, adjustments can easily be made to get the offense moving again ....

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/02/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-offense-problems-broncos-loss-nfl-week-8

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 07:52 PM
[B]Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
Rodgers said some things needed to change schematically. McCarthy said those comments come out of "frustration.....

Stubby appears to be experiencing some denial. Good article find:

Examples of “man-beaters” include intertwined crossing routes; trips bunches with receivers crisscrossing in their releases off of the line; pre-snap motion (something you almost never see from the static Packers); stack releases, with one receiver lined up behind another (think Julian Edelman and the Patriots) and the most popular route concept in today’s quick-passing NFL: natural rubs and picks. What all these concepts have in common is they cross-up receivers in some fashion, meaning defenders must back off less they run into one another chasing the crisscrossers. This approach is antithetical to the spread isolation routes of Green Bay’s scheme.

I really thought we'd see some of this stuff after the bye. This year's total lack of bye week improvement was shocking. The absent defense on D. Thomas, the poor run defense, and the crap offense game plan were glaring.

red
11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
good article

Pugger
11-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Do you guys really think any of these coaches are gonna walk up to that podium and tell us what they really think? They aren't gonna throw anyone under the bus publicly or tell the entire world any changes they have in mind.

Patler
11-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Do you guys really think any of these coaches are gonna walk up to that podium and tell us what they really think? They aren't gonna throw anyone under the bus publicly or tell the entire world any changes they have in mind.

Yet, sometimes their true feelings about what happened sneak into their comments. From Clements:

"It's hard to get open in the NFL" and QB must try to "throw the guy open."

denverYooper
11-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Yet, sometimes their true feelings about what happened sneak into their comments. From Clements:

That and some of the "frustration about scheme" comments coming from M3 and the players.

Pugger
11-03-2015, 08:09 AM
I guess what I was getting at is they aren't gonna walk up there and throw people under the bus and bitch like fans and media people will.

Patler
11-03-2015, 09:44 AM
I guess what I was getting at is they aren't gonna walk up there and throw people under the bus and bitch like fans and media people will.

I agree completely, my point was that sometime the focus of their disappointment still bleeds through. If he didn't scream it out loud during the game, I bet there were plays during which he wanted to scream "Just throw the frickin' ball!." At the podium he may have wanted to say "AR played like crap, indecisive and would not throw the difficult pass. Our receivers played like crap and were physically dominated time after time." Instead, he diplomatically said, "It's hard to get open in the NFL, sometimes the QB has to throw the guy open."

Fritz
11-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Well, Rodgers can throw the guy open, but other quarterbacks either throw the guy up or throw the ball up.

Ol' Aaron seems to be getting more and more sensitive these days. Does this portend a breakout game so he can play "I told you so"?

deake
11-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Do you suppose we now have a QB that won't take a little coaching, kind of like we had before. It seems he is hanging his hat on being able to extend the play and make a great throw down the field. I am sure it is easier to second guess if a WO is open when you are looking at film, than when you are in live action and trying to not get sacked, but it seems like he is passing up some short completions.

pbmax
11-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Anyone have a quick answer to who got a an Active gig when Josh Walker was inactive?

I am curious if it was O line related (everyone healthy?) or they needed a body elsewhere. Was it Burnett? Because if it was, they should bring Walker back :lol:

Rutnstrut
11-03-2015, 10:58 PM

No. But I really don't think stubby is capable of coming up with any creative changes on offense either. Scratch that, I do believe he is entirely capable of correcting things. I just think he refuses to admit there is a flaw in the way he is presently doing it and that he needs to adjust. That would be way to big of a blow to his fragile ego. The direction this team is going is downhill fast. The only things that will save them. Rodgers playing off the charts good, which will mean taking some chances. The running game catching fire. I would say firing Capers, but that would get them no where this season. They are going to fiddle fuck around at other aspects of the game until they realise their stud QB is an old man. Odds of finding another pro bowl qb to take over after Rodgers, are not real good.

Pugger
11-04-2015, 12:57 AM
No. But I really don't think stubby is capable of coming up with any creative changes on offense either. Scratch that, I do believe he is entirely capable of correcting things. I just think he refuses to admit there is a flaw in the way he is presently doing it and that he needs to adjust. That would be way to big of a blow to his fragile ego. The direction this team is going is downhill fast. The only things that will save them. Rodgers playing off the charts good, which will mean taking some chances. The running game catching fire. I would say firing Capers, but that would get them no where this season. They are going to fiddle fuck around at other aspects of the game until they realise their stud QB is an old man. Odds of finding another pro bowl qb to take over after Rodgers, are not real good.

If what you are suggesting is true this is gonna be a long season from here on out. It will be a bloody miracle if we make the playoffs and if we'll do we'll be one and done anyway with the way we're playing. Maybe we should look for a new GM and set of coaches this offseason. After a while management can become stale and predictable. Perhaps we need new blood and a new direction. We do have Hundley in the wings so we should groom him for a couple of years and then trade Rodgers before his skills are gone and restock the roster for the new coaching staff.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 08:53 AM

You cannot succeed as an NFL coach for this long (he made Aaron Brooks functional) without being more than capable.

The Patriots went 8 years between offensive juggernauts (2007-2015), the Packers went 3 (2011 -2014).

Yooper mentioned this before but we have covered this many times. Stubby (as Rand and Maxie and red have pointed out repeatedly) sticks to his plan well after others have bailed. But this is not a character flaw. He doesn't panic when the world panics and he plays the long game. We should have known he was not going to retool the approach after a bye week, he was going to attempt to address the issues with the current plan. He would rather ride the scheme to a failure point than introduce change after change after change, making it impossible to evaluate where you are.

You can make the rhetorical point that riding a plan to failure is no way to coach, but be ready to be reminded of the playoff streak.

I bet he does this for one more week. If it still doesn't work, then just when you are about to lose hope and root for the Decatur Staleys, he will alter the approach and suddenly you will beat the Cowboys at home in a game you were a home underdog like 2009.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 09:02 AM
^^^ All true PB - but still surprised there were no wrinkles after the bye. Those guys had to be watching the film of Denver and had to know what was coming. Maybe they were just surprised to get beat, to a man, at almost every position on almost every play.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Also, looking at the schedule, I'm surprised stubby didn't pull some stunt, like going out to practice a week early in the higher altitude. Pull the team together, get acclimated, and avoid McGinn and Cohen, those prickly bastards!

mr_blonde
11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Short, but pretty good breakdown of the Packers vs Broncos.
Lots and lots to fix .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRZ-w45-9E

Maxie the Taxi
11-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Short, but pretty good breakdown of the Packers vs Broncos.
Lots and lots to fix .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRZ-w45-9E

Great video. Thanks. Everything we talked about here.

denverYooper
11-04-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm talking about much earlier, like a crossing route to Adams that had a chance.

Still, Denver had the Packers number. I dunno if risking more woulda helped. Maybe get a couple of interceptions earlier and ice the game before Clay got hurt. :)

There was another crosser that had Cobb wide open with a lot of grass in front of him (tho Denver's D is probably fast enough to get the hobbled Cobb on the ground before he could take it to the house). It was another option on a sideline throw to Richard Rodgers on the early in the game. I'm sure Rodgers saw a pretty safe throw for the first down, so I doubt he looked toward Cobb. That particular play was still a good play, but had he seen Cobb out of the corner of his eye, they might have scored before the Broncos.

I dunno if that kind of thing would have made a difference or not -- games being an entire collection of plays -- but it might have changed the early tenor of the game.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 09:31 PM
So to beat the Broncos single safety look, the Packer need to throw deep. As demonstration on next play, 2 Deep Safeties shows up on 3rd and 17 (second play of the breakdown). James Jones is open if Rodgers throws the ball toward the middle of the field directly at the safety that the reviewer would like you to ignore because he really isn't paying attention to Jones.

There are a couple of things to consider here. Down and distance matter. You are not often able to throw deep on 3rd and 17 because the defense expects it. Why do the Packers throw deep on 2nd and 1 so much? Defense has a single safety back and doesn't expect it.

Meanwhile in the pocket, a pass rusher moves directly into Rodgers lap, who ultimately obstructed the pass lane enough that the throw to Jones was late and off line.

Third point to consider, why is Jones breaking his route inside versus Cover 2? He has two receivers coming into the middle of the field on other routes. Part of the success of this play is to make that safety commit up in the middle of the field to free Jones OR get that safety to back up and free up the middle of the field. Jones on an inside leverage makes his job easier. Less room to throw, especially less room to throw earlier in the route, when Rodgers has a clean pocket.

M3 in his PC today said that there was not one position group responsible for poor O play in this game. That second play of the breakdown shows all 3 phases failing. Once Jones chose to move inside, he should have thrown to Rodgers short of the first down and prayed RichRod could break a tackle.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid based on these comments, McCarthy and his staff are never going to get it .....
As the article below highlights, adjustments can easily be made to get the offense moving again ....

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/02/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-offense-problems-broncos-loss-nfl-week-8

Stubby appears to be experiencing some denial. Good article find:

I really thought we'd see some of this stuff after the bye. This year's total lack of bye week improvement was shocking. The absent defense on D. Thomas, the poor run defense, and the crap offense game plan were glaring.

I agree with those critiques. They were the same ones issued when the offense stalled early last year under the full tilt no huddle starting in the Seattle game. Everyone was remarking how static the receivers were and easily covered early in man. It took weeks to shake off his original plan. They get it, but they want to believe there is another way.

But M3 not only didn't change it up at the bye, it doesn't sound like he is going to do it this week. Second week in a row he has talked about 50 offensive plays or less in a game. Which apparently weren't enough to get to all the things they planned to do.

Its going to be Week 10 or getting caught by the Vikings to shake it up again.

Maxie the Taxi
11-04-2015, 10:23 PM
pb, pay attention....WE CALL HIM STUBBY FOR A REASON!:-)

pbmax
11-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Two things to put this thread to bed for the week:

1. Not enough attention has been paid to the O line, which despite being intact is having trouble pass and run blocking. That ain't good.

2. Receivers: forget about getting open, does anyone else remember being surprised how often they came to a near complete stop on a route mid-play versus man coverage? Its one thing to sit in a zone, quite another to stop the route because the QB is looking elsewhere.

denverYooper
11-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Brandon Stokely filled in on the drivetime show today and had some interesting comments about the game. He mentioned the Broncos had added some new route combos and started using their TEs a little differently after the bye. He also pointed out that Demarious Thomas was running some new route variations that he hadn't seen this year.