PDA

View Full Version : The Defense

esoxx
11-01-2015, 10:26 PM
500!!!

Maxie the Taxi
11-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Rush the passer with four and play the DB's 10 yards off the LOS. Tackle like dummies.

pbmax
11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Rush the passer with four and play the DB's 10 yards off the LOS. Tackle like dummies.

I suspect they blitzed more than that early but were getting burned. Called off the dogs in the second half.

Maxie the Taxi
11-01-2015, 10:41 PM
I suspect they blitzed more than that early but were getting burned. Called off the dogs in the second half.

It's a chicken and the egg thing. The reason they were getting burned is that their TE and WR's were given a free release off the LOS because our DB's were playing off.

esoxx
11-01-2015, 11:01 PM
I would have thought they would have blitzed up the middle more to get PM to move. Also, when he can't stop up in the pocket his quack balls are more pronounced.

Disappointing game plan.

wist43
11-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Sounds like this one was a good old fashioned ass kicking... I missed the game, but will try to watch it this week.

PackerRats adopted hero, Dom Capers, seems to have tripped on his balls once again... he played 2-4 most of the game didn't he?? :)

Pugger
11-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Sounds like this one was a good old fashioned ass kicking... I missed the game, but will try to watch it this week.

PackerRats adopted hero, Dom Capers, seems to have tripped on his balls once again... he played 2-4 most of the game didn't he?? :)

I knew you'd show up after this loss.

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2015, 06:42 AM
He better figure something out to take away that crossing route. That killed us big time the last 2 weeks.

sharpe1027
11-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Losing two dbs early probably had something to do with it too. Getting killed by crossing routes. Palmer looked lost out there.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 07:06 AM

jackass. You're the worst of all Packer fans, Wist.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I would have thought they would have blitzed up the middle more to get PM to move. Also, when he can't stop up in the pocket his quack balls are more pronounced.

Disappointing game plan.

Lack of pressure was a big, big deal.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 08:05 AM
He better figure something out to take away that crossing route. That killed us big time the last 2 weeks.

Its been a man coverage beater since Terry Bradshaw was wearing his hairpiece and sharing a bed with JoJo Starbuck. The solution if you are playing man under is pressure. There was no pressure. Ergo problem.

So when they stop blitzing because its not working; the obvious move is zone. Hayward can play it better than man. But Randall and Hyde? No idea. And then there are new ILBs to consider.

I am not sure Matthews or Palmer can play underneath zone well, though there have been some examples in third and long. Matthews is way too aggressive at times and gets himself out of a play. Palmer was a mess last night, though mainly in run D. Good news is they will get more certain. But they can't keep playing (man to man) trail coverage with no QB pressure.

red
11-02-2015, 08:05 AM

thats been a big problem since 2009

its not gonna get fixed now

KYPack
11-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Its been a man coverage beater since Terry Bradshaw was wearing his hairpiece and sharing a bed with JoJo Starbuck. The solution if you are playing man under is pressure. There was no pressure. Ergo problem.

So when they stop blitzing because its not working; the obvious move is zone. Hayward can play it better than man. But Randall and Hyde? No idea. And then there are new ILBs to consider.

I am not sure Matthews or Palmer can play underneath zone well, though there have been some examples in third and long. Matthews is way too aggressive at times and gets himself out of a play. Palmer was a mess last night, though mainly in run D. Good news is they will get more certain. But they can't keep playing (man to man) trail coverage with no QB pressure.

Palmer better know how to cover cause he can't play the run for shit. You'd think an inside backer would know the run fits. He's clueless.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Palmer better know how to cover cause he can't play the run for shit. You'd think an inside backer would know the run fits. He's clueless.

Was really clueless. On a run to his side, he got caught in trash, maybe the right gap, and Matthews, having jumped into the wrong gap, changed gears, flattened down the line and tackled the LB less than a foot away from Palmer.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 08:37 AM

I think they gave up on blitzing too soon, and what blitz's they ran weren't very creative or disguised. It was a very vanilla approach. I would have liked to see a Bruce Arians-type onslaught early (or at least at some time during the game!) to put the fear of God in Manning, whether he gets lucky and defeats it or not. Other teams have shown that the way to beat Manning is to get to him and hit him early, give him happy feet.

Going an entire game without sacking Manning (hell, without barely touching him) and getting only 3 QB hurries is inexcusable.

mission
11-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Did Mike Daniels play?
Nate Palmer have any idea what he was doing?
Casey Hayward is really a starter?

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Daniels played well from what I saw, Raji too. But they needed more help.

mission
11-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Daniels played well from what I saw, Raji too. But they needed more help.

I didn't see that. Raji, sure...

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I didn't see that. Raji, sure...

Daniels played well in spots.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Daniels played well in spots.

So did "The Vagina Monologues"

Patler
11-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Daniels and Raji played well, or had a few good plays?
Lacy had a couple good runs, but I wouldn't say he played well.
I think Raji and Daniels each had a couple good plays.

esoxx
11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
1,046 yards given up the past two games. This defense is a dumpster fire.

Again

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 12:36 PM
1,046 yards given up the past two games. This defense is a dumpster fire.

Again

No I'm sure it's all under control. Otherwise TT and Stubby would have gotten rid of Capers years ago and changed things.

red
11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
can we talk about how sam shields got injured from tackling the air about a yard or two behind the ball carrier?

pbmax
11-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Sure.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m10 minutes ago
One bit of good news for #Packers. Early indications are Sam Shields' shoulder injury isn't serious, according to source. He's day to day

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Sure.

One bit of good news for #Packers. Early indications are Sam Shields' shoulder injury isn't serious, according to source. He's day to day

when you get injured by a gust of wind, you are always minute to minute.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
when you get injured by a gust of wind, you are always minute to minute.

That was an awesome post, and very accurate.

KYPack
11-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Did Mike Daniels play?
Nate Palmer have any idea what he was doing?
Casey Hayward is really a starter?.

1. Daniels got snaps. He played hard, there were other problems.
2. No
3. He is now. He's a zone guy with a man job now.

red
11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Sure.

season ender then

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM

Thanks pb! I needed a good belly laugh today!!! :lol: :-D

Pugger
11-02-2015, 04:01 PM
can we talk about how sam shields got injured from tackling the air about a yard or two behind the ball carrier?

I thought he landed funny on that shoulder.

red
11-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I thought he landed funny on that shoulder.

after whiffing on the tackle attempt at the guys feet

sorry, behind the guys feet

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 04:25 PM
after whiffing on the tackle attempt at the guys feet

sorry, behind the guys feet

Yup, he completely missed. Luckily another Packer was wrapping the Bronco up at the same time.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Yup, he completely missed. Luckily another Packer was wrapping the Bronco up at the same time.

If he was forcing the runner toward help (playing with leverage) then I am fine with coming up empty. He should definitely try not to get hurt anymore, though.

Very counterproductive.

One demerit.

wist43
11-02-2015, 11:57 PM
I knew you'd show up after this loss.

Just have no time these days... honestly, I don't think I'll even have a chance to wind thru the game.

Still, I did see the high(low)lights... one click of the pause button is all you need to hang dunderdummy up by his buster browns... Anderson's TD run, they show a camera angle from directly behind the RB - all you can see is between the hash marks...

From that camera angle, you can see that Dom is defending the entire middle of the field - all the way to the end zone - with just 3 players. Jones, another DT I didn't notice who, and LB Joe Thomas. All 3 were easily shielded off and Anderson ran unmolested until the 5 yard line.

That is nothing short of pathetic... has nothing to do with the players - it's all on Dom.

Pugger
11-03-2015, 12:14 AM
Just have no time these days... honestly, I don't think I'll even have a chance to wind thru the game.

Still, I did see the high(low)lights... one click of the pause button is all you need to hang dunderdummy up by his buster browns... Anderson's TD run, they show a camera angle from directly behind the RB - all you can see is between the hash marks...

From that camera angle, you can see that Dom is defending the entire middle of the field - all the way to the end zone - with just 3 players. Jones, another DT I didn't notice who, and LB Joe Thomas. All 3 were easily shielded off and Anderson ran unmolested until the 5 yard line.

That is nothing short of pathetic... has nothing to do with the players - it's all on Dom.

Riiiight.

Fritz
11-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Riiiight...unless there's a Packer loss.

Pugger
11-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Riiiight...unless there's a Packer loss.

GMTA 8-)

MadScientist
11-04-2015, 02:48 AM
In two straight games the Packers have faced immobile QB's playing behind makeshift lines and gotten zero pressure without blitzing, and almost none with blitzing.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 08:58 AM
In two straight games the Packers have faced immobile QB's playing behind makeshift lines and gotten zero pressure without blitzing, and almost none with blitzing.

Rivers was throwing quickly. More concerning was Manning who got to go deep more often.

Offenses clearly don't want to drop seven steps and wait for an onslaught. Problem is the coverage is not holding long enough to stop even short throws.

Freak Out
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
What happened to the MLB that was drafted Ryan? I think I saw in on special teams a few times? Is the guy that bad or is he hurt?

Smidgeon
11-04-2015, 11:40 AM
What happened to the MLB that was drafted Ryan? I think I saw in on special teams a few times? Is the guy that bad or is he hurt?

I think he's too raw still. He did replace Palmer for a few snaps when Palmer screwed up. Got a tackle too.

Maxie the Taxi
11-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Ryan played a couple of snaps for Palmer, then Palmer came right back in.

Freak Out
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Ok...at least he's not hurt. Hope the kid develops into something.....the defense can use the help.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
I fear that the price of putting Matthews into the middle is worse pass coverage in the middle. Look at these zone drops by the Carolina backers:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/ezgif.com-video-to-gif-2.gif

Now imagine Manning trying to throw that in or dig route to Thomas with Matthews or Palmer standing in the way.

Pugger
11-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Wasn't he banged up earlier in the season so he missed a couple of games?