PDA

View Full Version : So, what changes?

Patler
11-02-2015, 08:47 AM
I thought Hayward looked particularly bad last night, and many have questioned his ability to play outside. While Randall had his own less than stellar moments, he also made some solid plays.

If Shields comes back, should Randall be given the starting outside spot opposite Shields?

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Maybe like pb says, if we can't get pressure on the QB and refuse to bump or jam receivers at the LOS we need to play more zone. Honestly, the Denver receivers didn't impress me as anything special. You just can't play off a receiver like we do when the QB is intent on getting the ball out quickly.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I thought Hayward looked particularly bad last night, and many have questioned his ability to play outside. While Randall had his own less than stellar moments, he also made some solid plays.

If Shields comes back, should Randall be given the starting outside spot opposite Shields?

i dunno, maybe the coaches can shoot themselves and put someone in there who recognizes that Thomas is the top target and your corner might need safety help. The safeties themselves seemed to be absent last night. Not sure what they were doing at all.

Bossman641
11-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hayward was a disaster, as was Hyde. Might be time to give the rookies more action.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Hyde is the only guy out there with size. While hoping for matchup advantages now might be whistling past the graveyard, the only other above average size DB is Gunter. And he was strictly an outside guy.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 09:21 AM
the only other above average size DB is Gunter. And he was strictly an outside guy.

Maybe he does better on an island covering D. Thomas. I mean, if you're not giving safety help, why not use the guy who can hang in there, not the slot guy who is totally outmatched. Hayward outside evokes horrible memories of the Michael Hawkins experiment/disaster.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Maybe he does better on an island covering D. Thomas. I mean, if you're not giving safety help, why not use the guy who can hang in there, not the slot guy who is totally outmatched. Hayward outside evokes horrible memories of the Michael Hawkins experiment/disaster.

I don't understand why his technique is suddenly so poor. He used to excel inside in zones. He played off versus Thomas and just had to break on routes in front. He timed one well.

Is he that scared of being beaten deep? Thomas got by him once.

sharpe1027
11-02-2015, 09:26 AM
I do not recall Payton having to move to avoid pressure all game. There was a nice clean and well-defined pocket with good throwing lanes all game. Maybe the coverage wasn't great, but it would have looked better with even a bit of pressure.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 09:30 AM
I don't understand why his technique is suddenly so poor. He used to excel inside in zones. He played off versus Thomas and just had to break on routes in front. He timed one well.

Honestly, didn't it look to you that the entire defense was playing not to get beat by the big play? All that resulted in was half-assed commitment that ended up allowing big plays anyway.

Bossman641
11-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Could be. I think it was McGinn who mentioned Hayward wasn't making any plays in TC and hinted that the leg injuries may have robbed him of some speed. It's a crime. His rookie year he was one of the most instinctive DB's I remember seeing. Now he looks like an undrafted FA.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 10:33 AM

I think it's just lack of speed. I have never thought he was outside corner material.

BTW, it was Michael Hawthorne I was thinking of: 2004, with Slowit's pass rush scheme failure and thinking Hawthorne was an outside corner - not enough speed.

red
11-02-2015, 12:49 PM
so what changes?

LOL

this is the mike mccarthy green bay packers

not a fucking thing will change

pbmax
11-02-2015, 12:50 PM
I do not recall Payton having to move to avoid pressure all game. There was a nice clean and well-defined pocket with good throwing lanes all game. Maybe the coverage wasn't great, but it would have looked better with even a bit of pressure.

No, they had their best plays off crashing through the Denver pocket making Manning move. Forced their first drive in 2nd half to punt I believe after one ridiculous first down allowed.

denverYooper
11-02-2015, 01:58 PM
No, they had their best plays off crashing through the Denver pocket making Manning move. Forced their first drive in 2nd half to punt I believe after one ridiculous first down allowed.

There were multiple long runs caused by some of that crashing.

It almost looked like they had a pretty good idea when Matthews was going to try to jump inside and Manning would check them into an outside run away from where he was coming.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 02:05 PM
IMO it made no sense to play off so much. It's not like Manning has the arm anymore to beat them deep, maybe I'm wrong on this. But I couldn't be anymore wrong than the so called pros were last night.

denverYooper
11-02-2015, 02:07 PM
IMO it made no sense to play off so much. It's not like Manning has the arm anymore to beat them deep, maybe I'm wrong on this. But I couldn't be anymore wrong than the so called pros were last night.

DT can make those ducks work.

Up until last night, though, he was dropping a lot of balls. People were pissed that he got a new contract and was Finleying it up for a few weeks.

sharpe1027
11-02-2015, 02:09 PM
There were multiple long runs caused by some of that crashing.

It almost looked like they had a pretty good idea when Matthews was going to try to jump inside and Manning would check them into an outside run away from where he was coming.

Palmer looked lost and got washed out pretty easily as well.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Palmer looked lost and got washed out pretty easily as well.

Palmer didn't play to his size. Thomas looked better. We missed Mulumba's size and aggresiveness.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Maybe like pb says, if we can't get pressure on the QB and refuse to bump or jam receivers at the LOS we need to play more zone. Honestly, the Denver receivers didn't impress me as anything special. You just can't play off a receiver like we do when the QB is intent on getting the ball out quickly.

Manning didn't even have to get it out quickly. I don't think we laid a finger on him save for a couple of plays. I don't even think his jersey got soiled.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:41 PM

I'm all for giving Randall a chance there. Anybody know how Rollins is?

red
11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Manning didn't even have to get it out quickly. I don't think we laid a finger on him save for a couple of plays. I don't even think his jersey got soiled.

add in to that the fact that they made it sound last night like their o-line is a mess and they're using a rotation of guys

i think at one point they said they were on their 4th LT of the season

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Hayward was a disaster, as was Hyde. Might be time to give the rookies more action.

Poor Hayward. Any speed he ever had is gone after all of his injuries. :sad:

Joemailman
11-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Hayward is a UFA after the season and I doubt he'll be back. Randall should see increasing time outside as the season progresses.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
so what changes?

LOL

this is the mike mccarthy green bay packers

not a fucking thing will change

Yeah, we didn't change a damn thing last year after things went south. :roll:

red
11-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Hayward is a UFA after the season and I doubt he'll be back. Randall should see increasing time outside as the season progresses.

might be time to move on from shields too

he'll count 12.1 million against the cap next season

he's had too many terrell buckly like games this year

red
11-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Yeah, we didn't change a damn thing last year after things went south. :roll:

and all those bad things came crashing right back in the last quarter of our season

and those same problems are the same ones we're seeing now

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 03:51 PM
and all those bad things came crashing right back in the last quarter of our season

Except we were one Bostick fuck up from the Super Bowl last year.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 03:51 PM

But you implied Mike won't even attempt to change and that just isn't true, even if the change didn't work. You can't say he doesn't try. Hell, look at all he did this past offseason.

red
11-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Except we were one Bostick fuck up from the Super Bowl last year.

that and/or about 50 other things.

if any one guy on the team would have just made one play in the last few minutes of that game, we win

esoxx
11-02-2015, 03:55 PM
So, the trade deadline is tomorrow at 3pm. Any chance TT makes a move?

I would give a 4th round pick for VD.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Most people get VD for free.:-)

red
11-02-2015, 04:25 PM

sorry, he just got traded to the broncos

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/02/report-broncos-acquire-vernon-davis-in-trade/

they got him and a 7th round pick for 6th rounders is 2016 and 2017

so they got him for a 6th rounder, or nothing

ThunderDan
11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
that and/or about 50 other things.

if any one guy on the team would have just made one play in the last few minutes of that game, we win

So when we get in position to get to the Super Bowl it shows MM and TT are what? I don't get it. MM devises a game plan to get us to beat SEA in SEA to go to the Super Bowl and a few guys fuck it up and MM needs to go?

We had a horrible game and need to get back to the drawing board. That is what I take from last nights game. Complaining about last year is silly.

sharpe1027
11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Most people get VD for free.:-)

Some people pay. Well, they probably aren't paying for the VD expressly.

We should trade for Megatron.

Rutnstrut
11-02-2015, 04:47 PM
So when we get in position to get to the Super Bowl it shows MM and TT are what? I don't get it. MM devises a game plan to get us to beat SEA in SEA to go to the Super Bowl and a few guys fuck it up and MM needs to go?

We had a horrible game and need to get back to the drawing board. That is what I take from last nights game. Complaining about last year is silly.

What? it was stubby's lack of going for the kill that cost them that game last year. It is his reluctance to make necessary changes that keeps Capers and the shitty D around.

Freak Out
11-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Davis would have helped....not sure how he is health wise at this time though.

I became a Capers born again after the championship game but those feelings are gone after the last couple games. Not sure if the time is mid-season, but it might be time to move on.

pbmax
11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
add in to that the fact that they made it sound last night like their o-line is a mess and they're using a rotation of guys

i think at one point they said they were on their 4th LT of the season

And that LT is facing season ending surgery. I am going to chalk that up to Perry's return, even if he didn't make a big play otherwise.

Pugger
11-02-2015, 07:10 PM

VD is a donkey now.

mraynrand
11-02-2015, 07:55 PM
VD is a donkey now.

He's a physical wreck.

Bretsky
11-02-2015, 08:55 PM

FUNNY STUFF; TRUTH BE TOLD I told my buddy this morning GB should go get Davis as a rental as last night clearly exposed our receiving core and he'd be a guy who could make an impact. I threw out Fleener as well as a secondary option

Then this afternoon I heard Denver got Davis for next to nothing.

Fritz
11-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Some people pay. Well, they probably aren't paying for the VD expressly.

We should trade for Megatron.

So you'd give up, what, maybe a fourth for him? Then you have to take him on as a rental and hope you can do something about A) his next year's contract, which is huge, and B) not having enough money to re-sign Mike Daniels and BJ Raji, among others, and C) having so much cap space tied into one position.

I think it's just going to take time for Davante Adams to regain his confidence and flow, and it's going to take time to integrate Montgomery into the mix once he's back.

I do think MM needs to quit playing the same three guys wide stuff, too.

I will say that if somehow the team did get Megatron, Rodgers might be more willing to just throw the ball up there. Johnson comes down with lots of jump balls. He's more that kind of guy than he is a back-shoulder guy.

sharpe1027
11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
So you'd give up, what, maybe a fourth for him? Then you have to take him on as a rental and hope you can do something about A) his next year's contract, which is huge, and B) not having enough money to re-sign Mike Daniels and BJ Raji, among others, and C) having so much cap space tied into one position.

I think it's just going to take time for Davante Adams to regain his confidence and flow, and it's going to take time to integrate Montgomery into the mix once he's back.

I do think MM needs to quit playing the same three guys wide stuff, too.

I will say that if somehow the team did get Megatron, Rodgers might be more willing to just throw the ball up there. Johnson comes down with lots of jump balls. He's more that kind of guy than he is a back-shoulder guy.

Why so serious? :) They should trade for JJ Watt then.

Fritz
11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
I bet they could get him for a fifth rounder!!