PDA

View Full Version : Off-season restructuring of leadership on offense

Patler
11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
- McCarthy gives up playing calling and week to week burden of detailed design for offensive game plan so he can focus on the big picture for all squads.

- Clements takes over detailed design of game plan week to week and assumes play calling responsibilities during games. He gives up design of day to day practice layout and primary responsibility for preparing players to carry out game plan.

- Bennett becomes OC, takes over design of day to day practice layout and assume primary responsibility for preparing players to carry out game plan, He gives up coaching WRs.

- VanPelt assumes responsibilities for coaching WRs. Gives up nothing.

From the bottom up, the WRs are not performing in the manner we have come to expect, and neither Janis nor Abbrederis is contributing on offense. The offense seems out of sync, and somewhat unprepared for what the defenses do. The game plans and/or play calls seem uninspired.

Has the reorganization of the offense failed at all levels?

sharpe1027
11-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Hard to say.

A few weeks ago, they seemed to have a new package and approach using Cobb and Ty alternating in the backfield, but Ty proceeded to get hurt almost immediately in that game. I haven't noticed many other wrinkles. That being said, they have been pretty depleted in the playmaking department with the loses of Nelson, Adams, Montgomery, and Quarless.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 10:47 AM
- VanPelt assumes responsibilities for coaching WRs. Gives up nothing.

I would guess that the other coaches and players are resentful that Van Pelt has sacrificed nothing for the team. This is probably the central problem. He may have to sacrifice himself to get right with the fates.

http://lastnightoner.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ef17d8188340148c855359e970c-pi

Fosco33
11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Too early to point fingers and multiple factors at play. We have WR play/injuries, Lacy..., and a perpetually average TE spot.

It appeared early on his season that we were using Cobb in a somewhat unconventional way - to the point where am620 post game in was almost questioning if it were legal as it seemed unstoppable. But then they correctly said that any new offensive wrinkle can quickly be countered with scouting / approach. It was specifically around the wr bubble and blocking schemes. I haven't seen those plays be unstoppable.

Lacy underperforming has created a few manifestations. One - teams are fine playing base even vs 3+ wideout sets and creating pressure on arod/timing and 2) less long developing plays. We don't seems to have that home run pass to jordy as Adams has been limited and arod doesn't trust Janis.

What's most disappointing is that rich rod seems average at this point. We're clearly missing a key weapon to balance the other underperforming offensive positions.

Now - is that on scheme/structure - in part, yes. Take what a defense will give, play for 1st downs to get your defense rest, open up and hustle if that approach will work but slow it down and huddle if you need more communication with young wr.

It'd be interesting it see if it were possible to have m3 and clement separately create game plan for Carolina and see how dift they were. Let m3 make final call and push Rodgers to influence and execute only. Maybe it's just clement?

Freak Out
11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
I would guess that the other coaches and players are resentful that Van Pelt has sacrificed nothing for the team. This is probably the central problem. He may have to sacrifice himself to get right with the fates.

http://lastnightoner.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ef17d8188340148c855359e970c-pi

Great movie and literature series.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Fosco - I dunno about Lacy underperforming - at least at Denver - he can't make his own holes.

Smidgeon
11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
It also could be adjustment period on all levels. Too soon to say if it's failed or if it's just part of the learning curve, I think.

Would they be willing to run a power running scheme if Lacy was performing? With Sitton, Linsley, and Lang, they should be able to push the middle against almost anyone (Denver being one of the exceptions). That theoretically would take the pressure off the WRs who can't get open. When Rodgers was out for eight weeks, Lacy carried the offense. He has the ability. And honestly, this might be the biggest problem. If the run game was successful, the Chargers wouldn't have had that time advantage.

That to me feels like the biggest opportunity for the offense: getting the run game churning.

Fosco33
11-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Fosco - I dunno about Lacy underperforming - at least at Denver - he can't make his own holes.

Lacy said he was running too high and when hit falling to the side.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Lacy said he was running too high and when hit falling to the side.

OK, but how much difference did that make?

Patler
11-04-2015, 12:45 PM
... they have been pretty depleted in the playmaking department with the loses of Nelson, Adams, Montgomery, and Quarless.

The concept of "playmaking" and the identification of "Quarless" used in the same sentence. That might be the first time I have seen that! :-)

sharpe1027
11-04-2015, 12:56 PM
The concept of "playmaking" and the identification of "Quarless" used in the same sentence. That might be the first time I have seen that! :-)

Yes, I almost took him off the list for that very reason. :) It is a play making position that was depleted by his injury, so I thought it might be OK. I retract that portion of the sentence and will never again speak of this.

Pugger
11-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I think it might have been a mistake to have Van Pelt in charge of both the WRs and QBs. Each group should have their own coach.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Yes, I almost took him off the list for that very reason. :) It is a play making position that was depleted by his injury, so I thought it might be OK. I retract that portion of the sentence and will never again speak of this.

He does add run blocking though. He's not great but Rodgers is wildly inconsistent.

sharpe1027
11-04-2015, 02:32 PM
He does add run blocking though. He's not great but Rodgers is wildly inconsistent.

Good point. Pass blocking too.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 06:51 PM
I think it might have been a mistake to have Van Pelt in charge of both the WRs and QBs. Each group should have their own coach.

Might have made sense to put Linus in charge of QBs and Rerun in charge of WRs. Lucy could work with Mastay on extra points.

Pugger
11-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Might have made sense to put Linus in charge of QBs and Rerun in charge of WRs. Lucy could work with Mastay on extra points.

We might as well with the way things are going. I almost don't want to watch the game on Sunday and witness another disaster. I wish I didn't care so much... :sad:

Fosco33
11-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Lacy now #2 behind Starks. I'd say that confirms his underperformance...