PDA

View Full Version : Lambeau field tops them all..... NOTHING like pack fans

packers11
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2569521

The article is very long and there is a little text box on the right that I cannont paste with in this forum... So... Ill just post a bit... Check it out... PACKERS hit top in something :mrgreen:

1. LAMBEAU FIELD, GREEN BAY (Overall score: 78.5)
Peter: It's the most unique sporting place in North America, really. Where else do you have such a small town that can support a pro franchise and do it well, with a season-ticket waiting list of 30 years? They were able to successfully take an older venue, modernize it, and the field still remains the way it looked.

2. HEINZ FIELD, PITTSBURGH (73)
Andrew: I liked the Steel Town tradition. Those people really understand their football. It's really the primary team; it's a Steelers town. You couldn't have asked for a better location, on the site of the old Three Rivers Stadium. It's got that downtown synergy. The Great Hall is the best concourse in the NFL. The tailgating is superb and the overall package works, and they support the team rabidly.

3. RELIANT STADIUM, HOUSTON (72)
Peter: The retractable dome. That was a first, and it follows the tradition of the old Astrodome, the first to have a roof over the place. Also, I like how they improved on the tailigating. A modern, spectacular first-rate stadium. Some of the friendliest welcoming fans in the NFL.

4. GILLETTE STADIUM, NEW ENGLAND (71.5)
Andrew: The fact that they had such a wretched stadium for such a long time, toilets that would barely flush, it would barely serve as a college stadium. To think they would build such a great temple to football is awesome. There are signature elements that are indigenous to the area, which we always like to see. You've got the lighthouse, the arched bridge, the rock formation in the end zone is very cool. The game presentation -- with the Minutemen firing off the muskets is awesome, and the technology enhances the fan experience. Plug in the tailgate scene, and it's a very fan-friendly owner in the form of Bob Kraft. A magnificent football experience with one negative, expect to spend a lot of time in the parking lot getting out.

5. M&T BANK STADIUM, BALTIMORE (71)
Peter: What makes Baltimore so great is that it's a downtown stadium that still gives people the ability to tailgate. They probably do that better than any other downtown stadium in America. They don't forget the city's football history. Some places with a previous franchise don't mention it. In Baltimore, the main plaza has a statue of Johnny Unitas. I like that they didn't forget that when they built the new stadium.

6. LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA (70)
Andrew: Its technology and the architecture are absolutely splendid. The sports complex is a unique thing, where the four sports are housed in a central complex. Also, the new generation of stadiums have very wide concourses and every amenity a fan could ask for. It's a tough ticket, fans are extremely rabid, and after Oakland, I'd say it's the second-most intimidating place to visit if you're a visiting fan.

7. SOLDIER FIELD, CHICAGO (67.5)
Peter: It kind of broke the mold. Soldier Field went in a different direction. It does have an assymetrical design. I like the Grand Concourse in Chicago. It's a place to be reverent to soldiers in the American military who have come before us. Also, a lot of respect is paid to the history of the Bears. I like how they kept the columns from the old facility for the most part. If I were taking anything away from it, I would have expected more diverse concessions, a bigger team store... stuff like that. All in all, a very unique place.

8. INVESCO FIELD AT MILE HIGH, DENVER (67)
Andrew: The uniqueness of the architecture. A very futuristic place. Interestingly enough, there's not two, but three video boards. They do a lot with the technology to entertain the fans. There's a lot of variety in the concessions. The other venues in Denver -- Coors Field and the Pepsi Center -- are also gastric theme parks. It's hard to find hot dogs and nachos amidst the specialty foods. Fans are very rabid about their team.

9(t). CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM, CLEVELAND (63.5)
Peter: I'll always be biased toward a place where fans fought city hall and won. A great fan base, great tailgating for downtown. I also like that the building didn't forget the previous Browns history, and they kept a section for the Dawg Pound.

9(t). RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM, TAMPA BAY (63.5)
Andrew: They've given it a Disneyesque feel with the pirate ship and the little Caribbean village. There's nothing quite like it anywhere. The whole pirate theme makes it a unique football experience. They play the yo-ho music, they raise flags when the home team gets in the red zone, they shoot off the cannons for a touchdown. The weather doesn't hurt, and it's a good tailgating destination.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Having traveled to each of the NFL's 32 stadiums on the Ultimate Sports Road Trip, Andrew Kulyk and Peter Farrell have seen more stadiums than the Maddencruiser. Here are a few of their observations.

Favorite NFL City
-Green Bay (Andrew)
-Pittsburgh or Kansas City (Peter)

Best Sports Town
-Boston (Andrew)
-Philadelphia (Peter)

Best Concession Offerings, Overall
-Lambeau Field, Green Bay

Best Concession Offering, Single-Item
-Primanti Brothers sandwich, Heinz Field

Most Pleasant Surprise
Peter: "So many places, when they go the renovation route, wind up with a product that's half of the shabby old place and half of the revamped new place, which just doesn't work. In Green Bay, they nailed it."

Biggest Disappointment
-FedEx Field, Washington
Andrew: "As you approach the building, the whole tailgating experience -- there were guys in their pressed Dockers, sipping wine and tapping on their PDA. You wanted the smell of sausage and people tossing footballs. There was none of that. It seemed to be very sterile, very corporate."

Best Concourse
-Coca-Cola Great Hall, Heinz Field
Andrew: "It's such a cool place to be. We made a point of going back down at halftime to eat and just soak up the scene."

-Grand Concourse, Soldier Field
Peter: "It's a place to be reverent to soldiers in the American military who have come before us. Also, a lot of respect is paid to the history of the Bears."

Best Cheerleaders
-Dallas Cowboys
Peter: "They're the originals, the mold that everyone has to copy."

Best Tailgating
-Buffalo Bills
Andrew: "They open the lots to RVs 3-4 days before hand. People do show up Thursday and Friday, and it's a big party scene by the weekend. We've seen hot tubs on flatbed trucks in the middle of January."
Honorable mention: Green Bay, Kansas City

Worst Tailgating
-Philadelphia Eagles
Andrew: "The first time we went to a game there was at the Vet, where they have specific tailgate lots, and we actually saw a guy arrested. He hadn't even lit up his grill, but he had pulled it out and the cops were there within five minutes."

Most Intimidating Fans
-Oakland Raiders
Peter: "When you turn on the TV and see Oakland fans dressed in Halloween costumes with skeletons popping out of their shoulders, these aren't isolated people. They're everywhere."

Best Fight Song
-"Fly Eagles Fly"
Andrew: "The song just gives us chills every time we hear it."

-"Skol Vikings!"
Andrew: "The wild-haired Vikings mascot driving around on the ATV on the field just adds to the zaniness."

BallHawk
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
We've also got the number one baseball park. Too bad our basketball arena is a piece of crap, though.

]{ilr]3
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Sweet! This year was my first trip to Green Bay for Family Night. We took are 2 young daughters and had a great time. Other than the crappy hotel I stayed at (Green Bay Ramada, remember I warned you!) It was a fantastic trip.

Stadium Tour was great. Just days before they put in a new sound system for the team entrance tunnel that adds the roar of the crowd as you go threw it. :cool:

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah, hotels around the stadium and down Oneida are average, at best. The Hilton & the Tundra Lodge are really nice though, but outside of those....well...bring the bed bug spray!

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I've never been inside the renovated stadium in Chicago, but from the outside, it looks nothing like the old Soldier Field. It looks like a spaceship landed on the columns.

Raymond James Stadium is very nice. The whole facility in general is cool, especially the pirate ship. Great facilities for tailgating, too. I really miss having tampa in our division as that was a road trip that I made nearly every year. helps having a sister that lives down there, too. :wink:

mmmdk
09-02-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah, hotels around the stadium and down Oneida are average, at best. The Hilton & the Tundra Lodge are really nice though, but outside of those....well...bring the bed bug spray!

That goes for Days-Inn Lambeau Field too? I staying there in october. Geez, I hate bed bugs :shock: Oh well, it's all about that Rams game anyway :mrgreen:

packers11
09-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I've been to GILLETTE STADIUM (unfortuantly) since I live in the area.. Its nice, but its funny how they couldn't even sell out the old stadium before starting to win... Gotta love the bandwagon fans down in New England (I hear from them everyday) :lol:

I also been to Atlantas..... Very nice, but kind of plain.... I don't know , maybe because the packers wern't playing but I didn't feel a certain vibe.....

BUT this year I will be making a trip up to Green Bay to watch the pats vs pack... I need a little leverage so I can smacktalk back at home :D (THEY BETTER WIN)!

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I've never been inside the renovated stadium in Chicago, but from the outside, it looks nothing like the old Soldier Field. It looks like a spaceship landed on the columns.

Raymond James Stadium is very nice. The whole facility in general is cool, especially the pirate ship. Great facilities for tailgating, too. I really miss having tampa in our division as that was a road trip that I made nearly every year. helps having a sister that lives down there, too. :wink:

I agree about Raymond James, but I must admit, I miss the Sombrero. Everyone used to say that was the nicest playing surface in football. I noticed the Titans guys saying that the playing field at Lambeau is amazing. I wonder if the rest of the league agrees. Was nice to hear the visiting announcers raving about our facilities.

mmmdk
09-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I've been to the Super Dome, Giants stadium & Georgia Dome. The Super Dome was special, Giants stadium is in the middle nowhere but good seats and Gergia Dome was cool in 1992 but not now. Oh, I've been to sun Devil Stadium too - it was just too hot that day :cool:

Lambeau Field is the top spot and I'm going for the first time soon. One stadium that might make the list in a few years is the Cardinals stadium in Arizona.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2006, 11:07 AM
We've also got the number one baseball park. Too bad our basketball arena is a piece of crap, though.

Agreed. I loved Mecca, which is where the Bucks played before you were born. It sat 11,000. For perspective, Weber State plays in a bigger arena.

http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/MilwaukeeBucks/oldfront.jpg

mmmdk
09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey GBRulz, could you please follow up on that 'bed bug' story/statement. You got me worried :lol:

packers11
09-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Hey GBRulz, could you please follow up on that 'bed bug' story/statement. You got me worried :lol:

I heard if you get them, they go in your clothes, and when you go home they infest everywhere... Then you have to get someone to spray all your clothes / house with chemicals...

Saw an exclusive on the news about the rise of bed bugs... Kinda scarey :shock:

mmmdk
09-02-2006, 11:59 AM

I heard if you get them, they go in your clothes, and when you go home they infest everywhere... Then you have to get someone to spray all your clothes / house with chemicals...

Saw an exclusive on the news about the rise of bed bugs... Kinda scarey :shock:

I'll be alright - I did paid good money for that hotel though. Striking!!!

What the heck, I'm not afraid of bugs or Bears :mrgreen:

bbbffl66
09-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Who does'nt miss the quality experience of teh Silverdome?

digitaldean
09-02-2006, 04:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2569521

Favorite NFL City
-Green Bay (Andrew)
-Pittsburgh or Kansas City (Peter)

Best Concession Offerings, Overall

Most Pleasant Surprise
Peter: "So many places, when they go the renovation route, wind up with a product that's half of the shabby old place and half of the revamped new place, which just doesn't work. In Green Bay, they nailed it."
Best Tailgating
-Buffalo Bills
Andrew: "They open the lots to RVs 3-4 days before hand. People do show up Thursday and Friday, and it's a big party scene by the weekend. We've seen hot tubs on flatbed trucks in the middle of January."
Honorable mention: Green Bay, Kansas City

Nice article!

Would love to go to Kansas City for a game. My uncle went there in '96.

He said the fans there were hospitable and fantastic to be with.

And he said there was BBQ everywhere! (ribs, brisket, everything!)

Would be great to go there for a weekend.

CaliforniaCheez
09-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Gee nothing about the wonderful HHH Swastika(Metro xual) Dome?
How about:
(32) vikings customers really tailgate in that huge parking lot. The Dome has all the charm of synthetic materials and undecorated cement concourses. The Dome with it's small (63,000) capacity really makes you feel cozy with the NFL's most ignorant fans. The charming friendliness of the affirmative action employees serving you at the concession stand make you sure that the mass produced edible will part of the Metrodump experience. No place can rival the stale air, stale food, and stale fans.

digitaldean
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Gee nothing about the wonderful HHH Swastika(Metro xual) Dome?
How about:
(32) vikings customers really tailgate in that huge parking lot. The Dome has all the charm of synthetic materials and undecorated cement concourses. The Dome with it's small (63,000) capacity really makes you feel cozy with the NFL's most ignorant fans. The charming friendliness of the affirmative action employees serving you at the concession stand make you sure that the mass produced edible will part of the Metrodump experience. No place can rival the stale air, stale food, and stale fans.

Have a Packer fan relative in Onoka. He would tend to concur with your overview.

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 11:24 PM
sorry mmmdk, I didn't mean to get you all worried! Please realize that I am seriously a hotel snob and very picky about where I stay!! The Days Inn isn't bad and plus they have a decent bar area. You can leave your bed bug spray at home, you'll be ok!

If you are ever traveling somewhere and want to know about hotes, a good website to visit is tripadvisor.com

here is the link from that site for where you're staying....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g59929-d325685-Reviews-Days_Inn_Lambeau_Field-Green_Bay_Wisconsin.html

GBRulz
09-02-2006, 11:28 PM
The MECCA is still around, but it's called U.S. Cellular Arena these days.

woodbuck27
09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
1. LAMBEAU FIELD, GREEN BAY (Overall score: 78.5)
Peter: It's the most unique sporting place in North America, really. Where else do you have such a small town that can support a pro franchise and do it well, with a season-ticket waiting list of 30 years? They were able to successfully take an older venue, modernize it, and the field still remains the way it looked.

http://www.timesfour.com/images/lambeau2.jpg

What a beautiful place !! :mrgreen:

Brando19
09-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm staying at the Days Inn for the Sept. 10 opener in Green Bay. I read that it's close to Brett Favre's steakhouse. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

FavreChild
09-03-2006, 09:05 AM
It is literally across the street from BF's Steakhouse.

Also the premier location to access the Stadium View tailgate and Anduzzi's (recommended more than BF's Steakhouse tailgate. Although you still have to check out BF's, as you already know).

I miss Wisconsin.... :sad:

Iron Mike
09-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm staying at the Days Inn for the Sept. 10 opener in Green Bay. I read that it's close to Brett Favre's steakhouse. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Isn't that the Days Inn in the background here?

http://www.bigguyhats.com/COntects%20slice/images/fun%20and%20friends/friends%2010.jpg

MJZiggy
09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Screw the Days Inn. Who's that posing with St. Vince?

Iron Mike
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Screw the Days Inn. Who's that posing with St. Vince?

Not sure.....I got it from the website of the guy here in Fondy that makes the crazy hats:

http://www.bigguyhats.com/

Didn't you see his Lambeau Field hat during the Titans game?

Brando19
09-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Man I can't wait. I arrive in Green Bay on Saturday. My flight leaves Monday, the day after the game. I'm going to try to take the Monday morning tour of Lambeau Field. Any chance I'll run into any of the players in town while I'm there?