PDA

View Full Version : Panthers Week

pbmax
11-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 38m38 minutes ago
According to #Packers inj report: Shields (shoulder), Rollins (neck) and Ripkowski (illness) did not participate. Montgomery was limited.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 38m38 minutes ago
Aaron Ripkowski (illness), Quinten Rollins (neck) and Sam Shields (shoulder) did not practice. Interesting that Rollins' injury changed.

Joemailman
11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
This is the game for home field advantage. After Sunday Packers will either be tied with Carolina and have the head to head tiebreaker, or they will be down 2 games and Carolina will have the tie-breaker. It's essentially a 4 game swing.

pbmax
11-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 5h5 hours ago
Late night for McCarthy, he jokes, watching the Carolina game on MNF. Said benefit to watching it live.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 5h5 hours ago
McCarthy said the biggest difference between Carolina this year and last year is how healthy the Panthers are in 2015.

Calls Panthers a well-balanced football team. "Instincts and awareness" stand out about Carolina LB Kuechly. "Run-and-hit" linebacker.

"Last week wasn't a great week," -- McCarthy on defending tight ends

THAT'S FOR SHARPE

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5h5 hours ago
McCarthy on Carolina: They're playing good football, offense, defense & special teams. Very balanced football team. #GBvsCAR

McCarthy on not assuming play-calling duties. "Not a good structure. You dictate job responsibilities." ... "Don't abandon the process."

"When things don't go well in any phase I don't think you abandon the procedure," -- McCarthy when asked about calling plays.

McCarthy again takes blame for not having team ready to play. "Sunday Night Football is different, especially on the road."

"When the team doesn't start the way it is supposed to start, I look at that as my responsibility," -- McCarthy

MM on receivers getting open: Says issue is not just one position group. Play count is down. Stats give direction on where to look.

Is this lull different than past lulls: Team is different every year. Different offense, MM says. Have not been playing balanced.

McCarthy on offense: Not a one-position issue. We'll use our past experiences, particularly last 2 games, & apply it to Carolina. #GBvsCAR

McCarthy said WR Ty Montgomery is feeling better. "We'll see what he can do today."

THE WORD HOPEFUL WAS USED. THIS MEANS HE ACTUAL ODDS OF PLAYING AT 15%

McCarthy when asked if Aaron Rodgers needs to widen his definition of open when it comes to the receivers: "Next question."

ON THE RADIO TODAY A CALLER INSISTED THAT RODGERS INSISTENCE ON THROWING TO OPEN RECEIVERS (BEDSIDES JAMES JONES) WAS A LOSING STRATEGY

McCarthy on if WR Ty Montgomery may play this week: We'll see. I hope so. I know he feels better at this point than he did last week.

McCarthy says Newton has progressed as a dropback passer.

McCarthy believes Quentin Rollins will practice today. Clay Matthews will "do something." Sam Shields is "getting better."

Maxie the Taxi
11-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah, we call him "Stubby" for a reason. LOL

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 06:29 PM
McCarthy when asked if Aaron Rodgers needs to widen his definition of open when it comes to the receivers: "Next question."

ON THE RADIO TODAY A CALLER INSISTED THAT RODGERS INSISTENCE ON THROWING TO OPEN RECEIVERS (BEDSIDES JAMES JONES) WAS A LOSING STRATEGY

except for the 75% of games they win of course.

mraynrand
11-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Clay Matthews will "do something.

"Mike, is Clay more healthy now than he was at the end of the Seattle playoff game?"

pbmax
11-05-2015, 07:46 AM
except for the 75% of games they win of course.

Even the caller stopped to marvel at his own construction, then plowed ahead.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 07:49 AM
There are two competing themes among the fans this week:

1. Complaints about running all deep patterns (this one, like not throwing INTs is selfish, will NEVER die)

2. Complaints about not throwing deep enough (usually Janis related but not always)

The fact remains that when forced to keep the passing game short, the offense, despite the early season adjustments to losing Nelson that worked, does not do well in putting together 10 play drives with 7 short throws. Normally the run game helps out here, but that is in neutral.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Even the caller stopped to marvel at his own construction, then plowed ahead.

There is also this:

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 30m30 minutes ago
Rodgers isn't mentally tough, that's for sure

There are criticisms to be made of Rodgers but that is one that makes no sense. He's TOO stubborn sometimes and fails to adapt.

Tony Oday
11-05-2015, 08:13 AM
We lose for the second time in a row for the first time since 2010 with AR. We will not be able to run, our O-Line loses the battle to their D-Line. Their LBs drop in coverage or run blitz to take away all the slants and their secondary takes care of what has turned out to be a group of WRs that can't beat press coverage. Add in that their safeties can play two deep and our offense is boned.

Cam will have a record day against an anemic pass rush that relies too much on the blitz. I would guess 300 yards passing and 100 running.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Think I misread the Tweet about this as M3 was talking about defending TEs, not defending his own TEs.

"Last week wasn't a great week," coach Mike McCarthy said when asked about defending tight ends.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/tight-ends-have-run-loose-against-packers-b99609905z1-340533521.html

deake
11-05-2015, 09:21 AM
If we are planning on covering Olsen with Palmer it's gonna be a long afternoon, is it possible that we could have Gunter cover him on the 3rd and 7 ? If we are planning on a DB covering him, Olsen is 6'5" and most of our DB are less than 6' , Gunter 6'2" and has shown some ability to jam and then play physcial.

mraynrand
11-05-2015, 10:29 AM
If we are planning on covering Olsen with Palmer it's gonna be a long afternoon, is it possible that we could have Gunter cover him on the 3rd and 7 ? If we are planning on a DB covering him, Olsen is 6'5" and most of our DB are less than 6' , Gunter 6'2" and has shown some ability to jam and then play physcial.

That's not a bad idea, especially since Sam Shields (breeze) will likely be inactive.

sharpe1027
11-05-2015, 10:36 AM
There are two competing themes among the fans this week:

1. Complaints about running all deep patterns (this one, like not throwing INTs is selfish, will NEVER die)

2. Complaints about not throwing deep enough (usually Janis related but not always)

The fact remains that when forced to keep the passing game short, the offense, despite the early season adjustments to losing Nelson that worked, does not do well in putting together 10 play drives with 7 short throws. Normally the run game helps out here, but that is in neutral.

That is pretty much the cold hard truth. The million dollar questions are why and can it be fixed? Do they lack that ability to take the short stuff by choice, poor design, Rodgers' strengths lying elsewhere, lack of capable receivers, or all of the above? Have defenses figured out how to disguise things enough to neutralize Rodgers' ability to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage? I really wish I was smarter or knew someone smart enough to have the answers.

Rutnstrut
11-05-2015, 11:32 AM
There is also this:

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 30m30 minutes ago
Rodgers isn't mentally tough, that's for sure

There are criticisms to be made of Rodgers but that is one that makes no sense. He's TOO stubborn sometimes and fails to adapt.

I think that's just poor word choice. I do get the feeling that Rodgers tends to pout or give up a little easily when the team is not playing well and behind. He doesn't seem to have that we can win no matter what attitude that the last guy had. This could be way off base, it's just how he comes seems. I have heard other people bring that up before.

Rutnstrut
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I am afraid that this defense will give up huge amounts of yardage again this week. For those that insist there is no problem, any defense that gives up almost 1000 yards in 2 games there is some serious problems.

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2015, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't trade Arod for any other QB past or present. However, what you get with Arod is all of Arod, both his talent and his foibles. My impression is that Arod is out to prove he's the best of the best. Nothing wrong with that. Ego and pride are good and common to athletes. Give Arod an opening and he'll take advantage of it better than the best of them. But sometimes I think his striving to be the best makes him risk averse.

As we all know, Favre took pride in his gunslinger reputation, so he had no problem setting records for both TD's and INT's. Performing in risky situations was his forte. I think Arod takes pride in getting the job done without making errors. When game circumstances make this difficult or impossible, Arod hesitates some and for just that rare moment or that rare game isn't the best QB on the planet anymore. Just my opinion.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 34m34 minutes ago
#Packers WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) in pads and taking part in team takeaway drill.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 36m36 minutes ago
#Packers RB group at full strength with FB Aaron Ripkowski (illness) back in action.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 37m37 minutes ago
#Packers practice: Shields (shoulder), Rollins (neck) not in pads. Ripkowski returns.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 38m38 minutes ago
No Shields or Rollins today. Shoulder and neck. Otherwise all present at practice.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 41m41 minutes ago
#Packers RB group at full strength with FB Aaron Ripkowski (illness) back in action.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTES8llW4AAyNHO.jpg:large

AND LACY SHALL BE FIRST PAST THE PAD!

Rutnstrut
11-05-2015, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't trade Arod for any other QB past or present. However, what you get with Arod is all of Arod, both his talent and his foibles. My impression is that Arod is out to prove he's the best of the best. Nothing wrong with that. Ego and pride are good and common to athletes. Give Arod an opening and he'll take advantage of it better than the best of them. But sometimes I think his striving to be the best makes him risk averse.

As we all know, Favre took pride in his gunslinger reputation, so he had no problem setting records for both TD's and INT's. Performing in risky situations was his forte. I think Arod takes pride in getting the job done without making errors. When game circumstances make this difficult or impossible, Arod hesitates some and for just that rare moment or that rare game isn't the best QB on the planet anymore. Just my opinion.

I agree 100% and also would not want anyone else. There are times when I wish Rodgers would use his accuracy and fit the ball in a tight spot though. Maybe he's not as confident in himself as we the fans are.

It's great the RB's are at full strength, it's too bad regardless of that strength that stubby will never use them to their potential.

mraynrand
11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
I am afraid that this defense will give up huge amounts of yardage again this week. For those that insist there is no problem, any defense that gives up almost 1000 yards in 2 games there is some serious problems.

when you find those people, let us know.

mraynrand
11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
I agree 100% and also would not want anyone else. There are times when I wish Rodgers would use his accuracy and fit the ball in a tight spot though. Maybe he's not as confident in himself as we the fans are.

I think it's all confidence and comfort. in 2010, he was totally in synch with Jennings. That injury the next year against Oakland, made that Rodgers-Jennigs connection just off kilter enough to cost them that game, in my estimation.

The Nelson-Rodgers and Cobb-Rodgers connections developed into the same thing. Now with injuries, etc. Rodgers is a little bit at sea. Hopefully this will get better by the end of the year.

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2015, 01:43 PM

It's great the RB's are at full strength, it's too bad regardless of that strength that stubby will never use them to their potential.

I really do think Stubby will have them ready next Sunday. Rebounding off adversity is another one of Stubby's virtues. (At least I'm confident about it. LOL)

yetisnowman
11-05-2015, 03:25 PM
I live in Atlanta and bought tickets to the game in September. I must admit after last weeks performance the thought of bailing did briefly cross my mind. But I will be there! Leaving ATL at 5 am EST. Carolina's defense is tough, but nowhere near Denver's. I think Cobb should find so more space and I hope Monty can give it a go. Aaron should have more time as Carolina's pass rush is blockable. My main concern is getting them off the field. While Cam's numbers don't jump off the page, he is great at executing lengthy time consuming drives and converting third downs. Hopefully the malaise from the Denver game has worn off....That's a long drive back after a loss....GPG!

pbmax
11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Have a blast and send us a pic of the field.

Patler
11-05-2015, 07:10 PM

A week ago, Whitt or Perry said they had put in some packages in which they planned to use Gunter against SD; but then changed their minds. He said Gunter is ready to get some playing time.

denverYooper
11-05-2015, 07:48 PM
I think it's all confidence and comfort. in 2010, he was totally in synch with Jennings. That injury the next year against Oakland, made that Rodgers-Jennigs connection just off kilter enough to cost them that game, in my estimation.

The Nelson-Rodgers and Cobb-Rodgers connections developed into the same thing. Now with injuries, etc. Rodgers is a little bit at sea. Hopefully this will get better by the end of the year.

It looked like he was building some rapport with Montgomery before the rook got hurt.

pbmax
11-06-2015, 10:16 AM
"Big day" for Shields. Hopeful he can play on Sunday vs. Carolina. He's a veteran so wouldn't have to practice Saturday.

McCarthy on Tillman: "One of my favorite players to watch." Great respect for way he plays, instincts. Family man. Still excellent player.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy not even thinking about playoff ramifications down the line. Players are aware "but it doesn't help us win Sunday."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy on Quinten Rollins: Don't think it's serious, but any time you're dealing w/ the neck there's a high level of caution. Being smart.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy likes the "passion" from Cobb, who was irked this week with how he's played.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 34m34 minutes ago
#Packers WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) in pads and taking part in team takeaway drill.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 36m36 minutes ago

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 37m37 minutes ago
#Packers practice: Shields (shoulder), Rollins (neck) not in pads. Ripkowski returns.

No Shields or Rollins today. Shoulder and neck. Otherwise all present at practice.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 41m41 minutes ago

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTES8llW4AAyNHO.jpg:large

AND LACY SHALL BE FIRST PAST THE PAD!

Or is he getting lapped?

pbmax
11-06-2015, 02:01 PM
I suggest you all head over the to the Packer Twitter to read Mike Pennel's Fan Q&A. Pretty funny, with mentions of German Gummy Bears and Moulin Rouge so far.

https://twitter.com/packers

pbmax
11-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Three players have been downgraded to doubtful: Receiver Ty Montgomery (ankle), cornerback Quinten Rollins (neck), and cornerback Sam Shields (shoulder; pictured).

All three had been listed as questionable on Friday.

Also, three players have been added to the report. Tackle Bryan Bulaga (knee) is probable, as is guard T.J. Lang (illness). Linebacker Mike Neal (hip) is questionable.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/07/packers-make-multiple-modifications-to-injury-report/

Harlan Huckleby
11-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Shields is not replaceable. But I 'spose Carolina doesn't have a great speed receiver, so Pack will get by.

Teamcheez1
11-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Shields is not replaceable. But I 'spose Carolina doesn't have a great speed receiver, so Pack will get by.

Does get by mean playing "bend don't break" to the tune of anther 500 yards of offense, or actually attempting to play defense?

red
11-08-2015, 09:15 AM
i don't like that rollins has a neck injury

we haven't had a lot of luck with those over the years

Patler
11-08-2015, 11:11 AM
i don't like that rollins has a neck injury

we haven't had a lot of luck with those over the years

I've been thinking the same thing all week. The only positive thing was one article that said all xrays, etc. showed no damage.