PDA

View Full Version : Find The Errors: Cohen on Micah Hyde and TE Coverage

pbmax
11-05-2015, 09:11 AM
In an article about the problems Micah Hyde has had with TEs, he cites these numbers from the Chargers game:

He allowed three combined catches for 36 yards to Antonio Gates and fellow tight end Ladarius Green on one drive alone, and in total Gates beat him three times for 40 yards.

It an awkward construction of a sentence as it double counts Gates catches, but his case for Hyde's struggles are 4 catches 40 yards (there is no way to know how many other catches LDG has versus Hyde, but I suspect it would have been mentioned if it was worse than 4/40).

So 10 yards per catch is terrible, huh? He averages 12.7 for his career and 11.0 this season. He was targeted 16 times in the Packers game and caught 9 (against all defenders). We don't know Hyde's success rate, but his average versus Gates beat the rest of the team.

So is Hyde really the problem?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/tight-ends-have-run-loose-against-packers-b99609905z1-340533521.html

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2015, 09:49 AM
When Hyde had these supposed breakdowns, were the Packers playing man or zone defense?

sharpe1027
11-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Agreed. If he covered him 90% of the plays for the entire game, he did well. If the Packers had to switch to someone else because he got beat when he covered him for only a few plays, he did poorly. All sorts of middle ground in between those two extremes.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 10:35 AM
When Hyde had these supposed breakdowns, were the Packers playing man or zone defense?

Several of the plays in question were in man under. But I can't give you the count of each.

sharpe1027
11-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Several of the plays in question were in man under. But I can't give you the count of each.

That brings up another point. Even with good coverage initially, if the QB has enough time a DB will eventually get beat.

mission
11-05-2015, 11:09 AM
That brings up another point. Even with good coverage initially, if the QB has enough time a DB will eventually get beat.

Unless they are the Broncos.

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2015, 11:14 AM
A couple of comments:
1) Without knowing the responsibilities and context of Hyde's play (man or zone) it's pretty impossible to fix blame.

2) I've seen analysis posted here wherein the analyst claims "all" Packer defenders played badly. Since one defenders breakdown can affect another defender's performance, I don't think we should single out Hyde.

3) It seems to be a pattern that one week our defense shuts down a team and the next week it gets run over. I think Hyde has played every week this year. Has he sucked every week? I don't think so. The only thing that varies week to week is injuries and scheme (and the possibility that any single player or players can have a bad day). I don't have time enough or smarts enough to do the research. Does anyone?

pbmax
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I did not think that Hyde has ever excelled in man coverage in the pros. I thought Hayward his superior at every point until Casey moved outside. But the coaches seem to love him in that slot role.

I actually think Dix has more potential (Burnett too) trying to rough up a TE.

I knew we would miss Jarret Bush.

Fritz
11-05-2015, 01:15 PM
All I know is that whether it's Hyde or Palmer, a Packer is trailing a tight end crossing over the middle all the time.

mraynrand
11-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I did not think that Hyde has ever excelled in man coverage in the pros. I thought Hayward his superior at every point until Casey moved outside. But the coaches seem to love him in that slot role.

I actually think Dix has more potential (Burnett too) trying to rough up a TE.

I knew we would miss Jarret Bush.

Right now, I would like to see some Wayne Simmons out there, plastering a TE and dropping him on his ass.

Patler
11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Right now, I would like to see some Wayne Simmons out there, plastering a TE and dropping him on his ass.

The Packers have struggled covering TEs almost ever since then. They tried to make it sound like Chiller was great covering TEs. but he was good only in comparison to their other options.

Bossman641
11-05-2015, 05:57 PM
The stats Cohen uses aren't very damning of Hyde. Hyde has looked awful by the eye test IMO. Denver TE's aren't even good and it seemed like they were beating him easily.