PDA

View Full Version : Lions to Remain Terrible for the Next Three Years (at least)

Smidgeon
11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
It takes time to turn a franchise around even if you make the perfect hires. Well, they get the process started this offseason. We'll see if the hires are any good:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/lions-fire-g-m-martin-mayhew-president-tom-lewand/

Fritz
11-05-2015, 01:14 PM
It takes time to turn a franchise around even if you make the perfect hires. Well, they get the process started this offseason. We'll see if the hires are any good:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/lions-fire-g-m-martin-mayhew-president-tom-lewand/

As a Packer fan, that's too bad. I was enjoying their ineptitude.

One can only hope that Martha Ford is no better at scouting management talent than her late husband was.

Fritz
11-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Here's a paragraph from a Detroit Free Press article about possible candidates for the Lions' GM job - guess who's first on the list, not only here, but in a similar Detroit News article??

"Eliot Wolf, Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel: The son of Hall-of-Fame general manager Ron Wolf, Wolf will be the hottest name on the GM market this winter. He's just 33 and was promoted to his current post last January, but he knows the division inside and out, he's been a part of a championship organization and he has experience in both pro and college scouting. He would be a home-run hire."

Smidgeon
11-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Here's a paragraph from a Detroit Free Press article about possible candidates for the Lions' GM job - guess who's first on the list, not only here, but in a similar Detroit News article??

"Eliot Wolf, Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel: The son of Hall-of-Fame general manager Ron Wolf, Wolf will be the hottest name on the GM market this winter. He's just 33 and was promoted to his current post last January, but he knows the division inside and out, he's been a part of a championship organization and he has experience in both pro and college scouting. He would be a home-run hire."

That would be a nightmare. I don't mind front office going outside the division or better, the conference. But inside the division. I hope if he gets the shot, he turns down their ineptitude.

smuggler
11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
I really doubt Wolf would take that offer, when TT is nearing retirement times and he is all but assured of being TT's sucessor to a team with a better ownership situation and more stable situation overall...

Joemailman
11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
I really doubt Wolf would take that offer, when TT is nearing retirement times and he is all but assured of being TT's sucessor to a team with a better ownership situation and more stable situation overall...

Would Packers prefer Wolf over John Schneider? Schneider reportedly has an out in his contract that would allow him to leave if offered the GM job in Green Bay. http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2015/02/23/green-bay-report-gm-schneider-has-out-in-seattle-contract-should-he-someday-be-offered-same-job-with-packers/

Harlan Huckleby
11-06-2015, 11:44 AM
As long as Wolf remains in GB under zen master Ted, he will be a hot GM prospect. Worst case scenario is he is passed over when TT dies in office. He'll still get a shot soon enough. Perhaps Wolf views the Lions job as an ultimate challenge, he could jump on that basis.

sharpe1027
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
As long as Wolf remains in GB under zen master Ted, he will be a hot GM prospect. Worst case scenario is he is passed over when TT dies in office. He'll still get a shot soon enough. Perhaps Wolf views the Lions job as an ultimate challenge, he could jump on that basis.

Or they might offer him a ton of $$.

Patler
11-06-2015, 01:01 PM
I wonder if the Packers have a succession plan in place with Wolf. I kind of doubt it. At some point I think seasoning outside of GB would be good for him.

Maxie the Taxi
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
I wonder if the Packers have a succession plan in place with Wolf. I kind of doubt it. At some point I think seasoning outside of GB would be good for him.

If I understand your meaning, I agree. In fact, I hope the Packers don't try to replace TT with a TT clone. I don't think TT is a perfect role model. I'd like to see a little more willingness in the Packer camp to sign free agents. For instance, I don't think there is any question the team would be miles better with a decent TE.

Also, I was kind of bemused by Stubby's praise of Charles Tillman from Packer Report: "'One of my favorite players to watch." Great respect for way he plays, instincts. Family man. Still excellent player." IMO, Tillman would have made the Packer defense a whole lot better this year. You gotta figure signing him this last off-season crossed Stubby's mind. Did TT nix the idea? ...Just asking.

Patler
11-06-2015, 01:35 PM
TT learned under Wolf, left, then came back and is strongly influenced by, but in some ways very different from Wolf. Presumably he was exposed to different thoughts, ideas and circumstances in Seattle, which may also have influenced him. For as much as Wolf did in turning the franchise around and getting to the top, he didn't really do a great job in keeping it there. I thing TT, who was more Wolf-like his first few years, has done a better job staying on top. Perhaps because he increased his focus on keeping the right players, and cutting ties with others?

Baby Wolf hasn't seen much of anything other than the GB/TT way. The NFL is a changing business on the field and in the front office. Ten years from now, perhaps neither the Wolf nor TT way will work; and greater experinece might help a GM adapt.