PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Lacy = John Brockington?????

Patler
11-09-2015, 06:25 AM
I am interested what fans who actually saw John Brockington play think about this comparison. I have said that Lacy reminds me of Brockington. Both ran with a certain recklessness, and were at their best when they hit holes immediately and hard, and when they ran through defenders down field.

Brockington started his career with three straight 1000 yard seasons. During his 4th season, his running style changed. He hesitated behind the line of scrimmage and down field he would stutter as he approached defenders. He was never the same back again.

This season Lacy seems to hesitate looking for holes, and yesterday he stopped and stutter stepped when a DB approached. Is Lacy's style of reckless abandon, which was very similar to Brockington's style his first three years, now mimicking Brockington's style the second half of his career, when he was no longer a special back?

Did Lacy simply last one year less then Brockington as a top level runner?

mraynrand
11-09-2015, 06:29 AM
This season Lacy seems to hesitate looking for holes
Probably because there aren't any.

Other than that, yeah I agree, he's lost his aggressiveness. Probably left it at Burger King this summer.

Patler
11-09-2015, 06:59 AM
This season Lacy seems to hesitate looking for holes

Probably because there aren't any.

The same excuse was used for Brockington. At their best, both would make their own holes, and get a yard or two when there didn't seem to be much there.

As you said, Lacy seems to have lost his aggressiveness, as did Brockington. In a violent sport like football, I'm not sure that is something a runner can get back after he loses it. Even if Lacy is overweight and out of shape, that doesn't explain his loss of aggressiveness. Loss of speed, quickness even performance, but it shouldn't change his attitude.

Maxie the Taxi
11-09-2015, 08:03 AM
As I recall, Brockington was simply a straight on bruiser, whereas Lacy does have a bit of athleticism and twitch to his game (when he's in shape). For instance, I don't recall Brockington using a spin move...ever.

Patler
11-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Brockington could plant a foot and cut, but no, nothing like Lacy's spin move. He had unbelievable high knees when he ran through a crowd of defenders. With good bend, all that linebackers and defensive backs saw was knees and shoulders coming at them.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2015, 09:12 AM
If Lacy is still looking slow in December, the comparison could be reasonable. I'd say odds are better he will find his mojo. Marshawn Lynch is 4 years older.

Patler
11-09-2015, 09:24 AM
It really has nothing to do with age. Some backs last a lot longer than others, only a very few last a very long time. Brockington stayed on top for a very short time. I don't recall any power back losing his "attitude", then getting it back. I hope Lacy can, but I am not holding out a lot of hope.

Freak Out
11-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Lacy is hurt and it is affecting his play.

Zool
11-09-2015, 12:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GuAOQ7Q.png

MadScientist
11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
From what I remember reading, Brockington's bread and butter was the trap run, which was ditched when Starr came in. Lacy doesn't have that kind of excuse.