PDA

View Full Version : Lions Release Rogers

falco
09-02-2006, 10:46 AM
ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions announced today that they have placed S Idrees Bashir on Reserve/Injured and released 21 players, trimming the team's roster to the NFL-mandated 53-man limit. NFL rosters needed to meet the maximum of 53 players by today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

The following players were released today: T Kelly Butler, LB James Davis, S Marcus Demps, WR Devale Ellis, DT Damian Gregory, C Brock Gutierrez, LB James Hargrave, DE Claude Harriott, CB LaMarcus Hicks, WR Glenn Martinez, G Fred Matua, CB Dee McCann, DT Lynn McGruder, TE Sean McHugh, DE Marcus Parker, TE Dave Pearson, DT Cleveland Pinkney, RB Artose Pinner, WR Charles Rogers, CB Harrison Smith, T Clint Stickdorn.

Rastak
09-02-2006, 10:51 AM
ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions announced today that they have placed S Idrees Bashir on Reserve/Injured and released 21 players, trimming the team's roster to the NFL-mandated 53-man limit. NFL rosters needed to meet the maximum of 53 players by today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

The following players were released today: T Kelly Butler, LB James Davis, S Marcus Demps, WR Devale Ellis, DT Damian Gregory, C Brock Gutierrez, LB James Hargrave, DE Claude Harriott, CB LaMarcus Hicks, WR Glenn Martinez, G Fred Matua, CB Dee McCann, DT Lynn McGruder, TE Sean McHugh, DE Marcus Parker, TE Dave Pearson, DT Cleveland Pinkney, RB Artose Pinner, WR Charles Rogers, CB Harrison Smith, T Clint Stickdorn.

Pinner and Rogers....interesting.....

Tony Oday
09-02-2006, 10:51 AM
SIGN ROGERS!!

Tarlam!
09-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I saw Da Bears cut Craig Bragg.

Bragg was TT's first bust as a draftee. Didn't think it was worthy of its own thread, so forgive me for parking it here...

falco
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I saw Da Bears cut Craig Bragg.

Bragg was TT's first bust as a draftee. Didn't think it was worthy of its own thread, so forgive me for parking it here...

Bragg was a late round pick anyway.

Badgepack
09-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Bring in Charles Rogers

Keep Ferguson

Cut Gardner

We sure will not be any worse off.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2006, 11:13 AM
2nd pick in the draft. He's their Tony Mandarich. The pick that will live in infamy.

packers11
09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
6`3 220.....

Hes only played 9 games in 3 years...

If he is healthy he can be deadly...

Bring him in?? :wink:

green_bowl_packer
09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Probably worth giving a shot, can't be any worse than what we've got already at the bottom of our depth chart. We have to remember that if he gets pinched again he's out for more than 4 games this time, same goes for Travis Henry who someone mentioned on another thread (or another board, who knows ; D ).

He may be worth the risk, but you don't want to have to rely on him too heavily like the Vikes and Koren Robinson, anything extra he gives you on top of Driver, Jennings, Ferguson (if he can give you anything at all) would be a bonus, Gardner seems the odd-man out if they pick up Rogers or anyone else for that matter. We have to remember that Chris Carter was a turd at one time too.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Kelly Butler started a lot of games for them last year. He's a big dude that probably doesn't fit our scheme though.

Fred Matua was their 7th round pick this year. He's a smaller, more mobile guy. He had injury concerns that dropped him from a possible first day pick to the 7th round. Maybe those are still affecting him. Somebody that might interest Green Bay.

Artose Pinner? Might be worth looking at also.

Chubbyhubby
09-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Bring in Charles Rogers

Keep Ferguson

Cut Gardner

We sure will not be any worse off.

I second that, For me though I would be a toss up either to cut Ferguson or Gardner. Hope they get him.

BallHawk
09-02-2006, 11:58 AM
If Gardner could actually play his hardest he'd be a great #3. Great size, his problem has always been just releasing his potential. He did that briefly in his 3rd year in Washington, can he do it again?

Badgepack
09-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I just think Favre has a liitle more cofidence to throw to Ferguson over Gardner at this point. It is a toss up between those two.

Deputy Nutz
09-02-2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/athletes/Matua_Fred.gif

He was considered one of the best guards in the country and demonstrated some above average skills and speed during the Trojans pro day.

I would think about signing him before I would sign Rodgers.

If I was TT I would take a long look at Charles Rodgers, Fred Matua, Artose Pinner

The_Dude
09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
I bet he would like to stay in the division as well since he'll get to face the Lions twice a year. Wouldn't be suprised with him staying in the North though. The Bears, Vikings and us need WR's

mngolf19
09-02-2006, 02:24 PM
If Rogers is just a head case, someone has to take a shot with him.

packrulz
09-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Rogers showed great poise during the first 5 games of the 2003 season. Unfortunately, Rogers broke his collarbone while practicing a speed drill with Dré Bly. He was out for the season. Rogers was expected to come back from the injury, and have a big season in 2004. However, during the third play of the season against the Chicago Bears, Rogers suffered another collarbone injury. He was once again out for the season. During the 2005 season, Rogers was suspended 4 games for a 3rd violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. In another twist of bad luck for Rogers, the Lions filed a grievance claiming that his drug suspension violated a clause in his contract and thus the team is trying to recoup around $10 million of the $14 million the Lions have given to Rogers in bonuses. Despite the fact that this was the first season in which Rogers has been relatively healthy without any injury, he only played nine games (starting three) because of the suspension and was declared inactive for four games. He caught 14 passes for 197 yards and a touchdown.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers"

retailguy
09-02-2006, 02:57 PM
If Rogers is just a head case, someone has to take a shot with him.

He's more than a head case. Drug issues, maturity issues, injury issues, there are some real problems here.

someone will give him a chance, hopefully it is NOT us. We've got enough problems.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Unless they see a little too much Ricky in him? He could be in the CFL (canabis football league?) before you know it.

digitaldean
09-02-2006, 03:21 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/athletes/Matua_Fred.gif

He was considered one of the best guards in the country and demonstrated some above average skills and speed during the Trojans pro day.

I would think about signing him before I would sign Rodgers.

If I was TT I would take a long look at Charles Rodgers, Fred Matua, Artose Pinner

Great point, Deputy.

Surprised he didn't make the squad. I'd give him a chance, we need the help on the o-line anyway.

mngolf19
09-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Retail, I don't think either of our teams will go for him then. No matter how much he may be able to help.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I hear the Cowboys may be looking for a replacement for TO soon...

Creepy
09-02-2006, 05:00 PM
What was his stats in pre-season and how much would he cost. This would have been his lastyear before FA, and sometimes teams pay those big salaries for final year on roookie contract. If he isn't that big a cost, I say take a chance. He has been clean this year and maybe just needs a new place to play.

IMO, cut Ferguosn because once the season starts he will be hard to find. Gb does not need a speed receiver but one who can catch in traffic. Though he did not hshow much, I feel Gardner caught better in traffic than Ferguosn.

PackerPro42
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I think it's a possibilty that we may pick up Rogers or Calico. Our recieving corps is really thin and we could use one.