PDA

View Full Version : Why does Richard Rodgers play so much?

Patler
11-11-2015, 01:04 PM
I know this has been discussed now and then in a number of threads, but I find this quite perplexing. Even if he is the best of an apparently awful group of TEs, why does he play so much?

In years past, MM had a lot of looks that had no TE. One year he used 5 WRs a few plays every game, and 4 WRs were common.

Rodgers isn't a guy who is always open short. He is mediocre, at best, getting open short.
He doesn't open up the field, he is slow and a bit clumsy.
He isn't a guy who gets a lot of yards after the catch. In fact, I think he is awful at it.
He is not a good blocker; he is not a reliable blocker.
He seems to get a penalty, or flat out blow at least one play every game.

Supposedly he has good hands, but to be perfectly honest I can't say I have seen conclusive evidence of that this year.

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play. But he offers so little advantage when he is out there, WHY DOES HE PLAY SO MUCH?????

smuggler
11-11-2015, 01:14 PM
My only thought would be that using him opens up opportunities with personnel matchups in the no-huddle later in the game...

Pugger
11-11-2015, 01:22 PM
The reason he plays so much is he is he best TE on the roster presently and MM likes to use a TE in this offense.

I hope this position along with ILB and LT is addressed this spring.

Fosco33
11-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Quarless being out since week 3?

Zool
11-11-2015, 01:26 PM
He's the least smelly turd in the TE toilet bowl

pbmax
11-11-2015, 01:28 PM
In the no huddle, without a TE, you cannot threaten the run enough to keep a Defense from going dime. He wants to be able to force a choice between defending the run and the pass. You go 4 WR and its pass defense all the way.

This is the kind of thing that the SI article by Farrar talks about in the limited scheme the Packers have displayed.

Patler
11-11-2015, 01:29 PM
The reason he plays so much is he is he best TE on the roster presently and MM likes to use a TE in this offense.

I hope this position along with ILB and LT is addressed this spring.

Quarless being out since week 3?

I can't buy either one of those, because MM has shown a willingness to play without a TE in the past, for at least a reasonable number of plays each game. So, yes, when he wants or needs to use a TE, Rodgers will be the guy.

To rephrase;

Since Rodgers is the TE he is stuck with, why does MM use a TE so much?

Maxie the Taxi
11-11-2015, 01:30 PM
In years past, MM had a lot of looks that had no TE. One year he used 5 WRs a few plays every game, and 4 WRs were common.

This year the math for 4 WRs and 5 WRs doesn't work out because there are only 6 WRs on the roster. One is hurt and the other two are merely decoys cause Arod doesn't trust 'em.:cry:

Patler
11-11-2015, 01:32 PM
In the no huddle, without a TE, you cannot threaten the run enough to keep a Defense from going dime. He wants to be able to force a choice between defending the run and the pass. You go 4 WR and its pass defense all the way.

This is the kind of thing that the SI article by Farrar talks about in the limited scheme the Packers have displayed.

The answer to that is simple. Don't use no huddle so much. The have had significant stretches in games over the years when they have not used no huddle. In fact, MM has been critical of himself at times for not using it enough.

So again I ask, since RR is the TE he is stuck with, why does MM insist on using a TE so much?

Joemailman
11-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I know this has been discussed now and then in a number of threads, but I find this quite perplexing. Even if he is the best of an apparently awful group of TEs, why does he play so much?

Rodgers isn't a guy who is always open short. He is mediocre, at best, getting open short.
He doesn't open up the field, he is slow and a bit clumsy.
He isn't a guy who gets a lot of yards after the catch. In fact, I think he is awful at it.
He is not a good blocker; he is not a reliable blocker.
He seems to get a penalty, or flat out blow at least one play every game.

Supposedly he has good hands, but to be perfectly honest I can't say I have seen conclusive evidence of that this year.

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play. But he offers so little advantage when he is out there, WHY DOES HE PLAY SO MUCH?????

MM used 4-5 WR's more when the Packers had great WR depth (Driver, Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb). That's not the case now, especially with the injuries to WR's. Also, I think they've moved away from spread formations more since drafting Lacy. They've become somewhat more of a running team, and want a TE blocking. Rodgers may not be a good blocker for a TE, but he gives you more than you would get from Janis or Abby.

pbmax
11-11-2015, 01:39 PM
The answer to that is simple. Don't use no huddle so much. The have had significant stretches in games over the years when they have not used no huddle. In fact, MM has been critical of himself at times for not using it enough.

So again I ask, since RR is the TE he is stuck with, why does MM insist on using a TE so much?

That was the plan they worked on for the entirety of the last two off seasons. Past behavior indicates that he is not giving up on the plan until Game 8 of the season.

I suspect changes (that began last week but fell apart when the D failed to answer their alarm clock) will continue this week. And as they are home, improvement on O, with better pass pro, will be very likely.

Patler
11-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Let's throw in another variable, Aaron Ripkowski. Don't forget, one of the positives he offered was that in college he also lined up as a TE.

He’s one of the most stereotypical sledgehammer fullbacks in the 2015 draft. He added to his stock by also playing some series at tight end. As a primary blocker, his pass catching will be a work in progress.

pbmax
11-11-2015, 01:44 PM
I agree with Joe that Lacy is a factor (same with Starks and the other big guy). You want a TE to help create a hole for him as he is not going to make the defender miss in the backfield.

If they went with one of the smaller guys from camp (Crockett, Neal and the other smaller guy) then I could see them run 4 WR and hope the scat back and threat of short RB pass would suffice for a run game.

pbmax
11-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Let's throw in another variable, Aaron Ripkowski. Don't forget, one of the positives he offered was that in college he also lined up as a TE.

Well, that is one of the weird things about M3. He usually, not always, has choices. But he is squarely in the don't panic camp, to the point where you wonder if he is paying attention. I think it works well as a method to build a cohesive team and direction, but the time it takes for adjustments is maddening.

A lot of times he reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer, though I think he is more patient which is a good thing. Marty was a bad combination of stubborn and panicky.

My concern is how he interprets feedback and stats. I am convinced that he looks at running success numbers at the end of games and does a calculation that is only one step better than "When Tony Dorsett gains 100 yards, the Cowboys are 32-3". He doesn't think running is more optimal late with a lead, he thinks he needs to run every time as long as he has a lead. There isn't much of an adjustment for the best talent on his roster. Nor is there a recognition that time is perhaps paramount, but possession is almost as important.

There is a reason Rand and Maxie call him "Stubby", as they like to say.

Patler
11-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Maybe they should start working with Tretter running a few routes as a TE. He started college as a TE, didn't he?
He is probably nearly as fast and as quick as RR, and should be a better blocker.

Heck, they threw a pass to Tauscher one time, why not Tretter as a blocking TE more than the once or twice they used it last week.

Twice they put Janis in motion, but then kept him in to block. That could present intersting wrinkles.

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2015, 05:48 PM
On Homer's show, they refer to Drod as "a poor man's Bubba Franks." That's about right.

red
11-11-2015, 07:38 PM
I. Couldn't agree more. I have no clue why they use dickrod so much, he's horrible

You can't tell me he's better the Abby or janis

hoosier
11-11-2015, 08:10 PM
The answer is clear: this one comes from on high. We know how TT feels about his draft picks, and this one was a reach to boot. :-)

Fritz
11-12-2015, 05:43 AM
I want to know what happened to the crazy, creative game planning against New England last year?

And if you're no-huddling but not hurrying up, I don't understand the point since you lock yourself into staid personnel groupings.

Maybe the team needs to huddle up to get some cohesion back and to allow for personnel changes. Right now, without a huddle, none of them seem to be on the same page.

I had hopes for Richard Rodgers, but he is slower than my dead pet turtle, and he doesn't block furschitzen.

It hurt me to read that Quarless is their fastest tight end.

pbmax
11-12-2015, 08:26 AM
I want to know what happened to the crazy, creative game planning against New England last year?

And if you're no-huddling but not hurrying up, I don't understand the point since you lock yourself into staid personnel groupings.

Maybe the team needs to huddle up to get some cohesion back and to allow for personnel changes. Right now, without a huddle, none of them seem to be on the same page.

I had hopes for Richard Rodgers, but he is slower than my dead pet turtle, and he doesn't block furschitzen.

It hurt me to read that Quarless is their fastest tight end.

The other odd this about the limited route concepts is the problem with the play clock. If you are only calling 20 pass plays, how can a play call and then 2 audibles take so long?

Its always a cat and mouse game, but I think, given the limitations of talent (or its effectiveness), the Packers are on the losing end of the adjustment/audible game. Many times in the last few games we have seen a D back out of a blitz after an audible, then be immediately ready for whatever hot route the Packers are running.

They really need Monty back and healthy. Same with Adams getting back up to speed.

George Cumby
11-12-2015, 10:32 AM
It seems that it's a necessity thing. Nelson gone for the season, Adams and Monty dinged up, Lacey a fat, injured pig. I think their hands are tied so they are playing what they got......

sharpe1027
11-12-2015, 10:50 AM
The other odd this about the limited route concepts is the problem with the play clock. If you are only calling 20 pass plays, how can a play call and then 2 audibles take so long?

Its always a cat and mouse game, but I think, given the limitations of talent (or its effectiveness), the Packers are on the losing end of the adjustment/audible game. Many times in the last few games we have seen a D back out of a blitz after an audible, then be immediately ready for whatever hot route the Packers are running.

They really need Monty back and healthy. Same with Adams getting back up to speed.

They may be trying to eat clock to shorten the game knowing that they can't compete with the best teams right now.

pbmax
11-12-2015, 12:38 PM
They may be trying to eat clock to shorten the game knowing that they can't compete with the best teams right now.

I can't see anybody on offense believing that, admitting it and then adjusting to it this fast. If everyone was injured preseason like Jordy, then maybe.

I just think they are stuck with audibles versus pressure that have been identified (in no huddle) and by continuously making adjustments throughout the play clock, they are ceding the last adjustment to the defense.

sharpe1027
11-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I can't see anybody on offense believing that, admitting it and then adjusting to it this fast. If everyone was injured preseason like Jordy, then maybe.

I just think they are stuck with audibles versus pressure that have been identified (in no huddle) and by continuously making adjustments throughout the play clock, they are ceding the last adjustment to the defense.

Maybe not as extreme as what I wrote, but it wasn't long ago that MM would talk about trying to X number of snaps at a minimum. I do not think that is as high of a priority right now.

Fritz
11-12-2015, 02:28 PM
It seems that it's a necessity thing. Nelson gone for the season, Adams and Monty dinged up, Lacey a fat, injured pig. I think their hands are tied so they are playing what they got......

This is why I love Packerrats so much. A guy who, in his first two seasons, seemed on course to be possibly one of the best Packer running backs ever, is, after eight games this year, a fat, injured, pig.

We brook no nonsense around here. I love it.

sharpe1027
11-12-2015, 03:01 PM
This is why I love Packerrats so much. A guy who, in his first two seasons, seemed on course to be possibly one of the best Packer running backs ever, is, after eight games this year, a fat, injured, pig.

We brook no nonsense around here. I love it.

We are equal opportunity. Once he rips off a couple 100 yard games, the label will be changed accordingly.

George Cumby
11-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I like Lacey. However, my impression is he lacks a certain fire, a spark, passion for the game, if you will.

I have little to base this on, his gestalt just makes me uneasy.

Rutnstrut
11-12-2015, 04:34 PM
IMO a better question would be. Why do the all knowing stubby and TT think the guy is a worthy starting TE?

mraynrand
11-12-2015, 04:52 PM
IMO a better question would be. Why do the all knowing stubby and TT think the guy is a worthy starting TE?

An even better question is: how does the all knowing Rutnstrut know that they think that?

Rutnstrut
11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
An even better question is: how does the all knowing Rutnstrut know that they think that?

That's pretty fucking simple, he's on the roster as the starting TE.

mraynrand
11-12-2015, 09:29 PM
That's pretty fucking simple, he's on the roster as the starting TE.

So? That doesn't necessarily mean they think he is worthy. However, I like that you are a mind-reader. I will put you down on my contact list in case I ever need one.