PDA

View Full Version : JS--"PACKERS PASS ON VERNON DAVIS "

Bretsky
11-14-2015, 10:34 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-pass-on-a-chance-for-te-vernon-davis-b99615500z1-348206321.html

Kind of a captain obvious article here and not a lot new but worth mentioning it made the paper and my guess is McGinn will get whacked a couple times for his bias

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2015, 10:54 AM
What does "bias" mean here? It's a column, he is supposed to have opinions. I don't see him even taking sides.

Nobody knows whether Davis would be effective with a better QB. Maybe he has something left.

I only quibble with one characterization:

With Andrew Quarless out until at least Thanksgiving with a knee injury, the Packers' triumvirate of Richard Rodgers, Justin Perillo and Kennard Backman is among the NFL's worst.

"among"? Who's worse?

Patler
11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm not arguing these two points, just think they need to be considered by anyone writing this type of article, because others have identified them. Both were mentioned, but not very well fleshed out.

1. MM's offense is among the most complex for receivers to function in. Bringing in a receiver half way through the season will not enable him to be no more than a limited participant.

2. $2.5 M is a lot in view of #1 and other uses they will have to sign their own FAs before next season.

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2015, 11:27 AM
1. MM's offense is among the most complex for receivers to function in. Bringing in a receiver half way through the season will not enable him to be no more than a limited participant.

I don't believe this. I think any vet tight end can step into a new offense and be effective in a couple weeks. They aren't air traffic controllers. Half the completions are with receivers scrambling to get open. Now, it is true that there will be a 2-month learning curve to be fully integrated.

Bretsky
11-14-2015, 11:45 AM
I think the fact that he wrote the article paints a bias and to me I read it as questioning.

Did anybody see the last Denver game ? Davis blew right by coverage deep and Manning, to nobody's surprise, missed him. I thought of our thread wondering if Esoxx was watching and pondered that I can't remember a TE doing that since Finley...creating separation........ Whether he masters the offense or not Davis would provide a helpful threat doing that.

Freak Out
11-14-2015, 02:32 PM
I just don't get the "no interest"? If the price is right and he can pass a physical why not? Considering the situation why not try and make the team/offense better?

mraynrand
11-14-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't believe this. I think any vet tight end can step into a new offense and be effective in a couple weeks. They aren't air traffic controllers. Half the completions are with receivers scrambling to get open. Now, it is true that there will be a 2-month learning curve to be fully integrated.

I agree with you, but I also think this point missed the critical point - that effectiveness as a receiver requires being in synch with A.Rodgers. I don't know exactly what that entails, but we've seen time and again that if he lacks confidence in a receiver, he isn't going there with the ball. That's why you like to bring in a FA in the off season to have those extra opportunities. Who knows, maybe Rodgers isn't capable of synching up with a FA. It might be one of his limitations.

Patler
11-14-2015, 05:51 PM
I agree with you, but I also think this point missed the critical point - that effectiveness as a receiver requires being in synch with A.Rodgers. I don't know exactly what that entails, but we've seen time and again that if he lacks confidence in a receiver, he isn't going there with the ball. That's why you like to bring in a FA in the off season to have those extra opportunities. Who knows, maybe Rodgers isn't capable of synching up with a FA. It might be one of his limitations.

Exactly. We've talked in the past about it taking a year for a rookie to integrate himself into the system. Maybe it is only marginally less for a vet coming from whatever system Davis was in in SF.

The cost factor may have been prohibitive to the Packers, not for the trade, but the $2.5 M it would have cut from their salary cap. Perhaps that is money they have planned for their many free agents next off season.

If you assume Davis will not filly integrate into the offense, will he be worth the money that could go to one of the FAs next year?

Personally, I would like to have seen him in Green Bay, but that is purely from a fan perspective, with no regard to any of the negatives.

Pugger
11-14-2015, 06:29 PM
I find it a little incredible anybody knew what Ted was thinking about Davis. Ted seems to be one who holds his cards pretty close to the vest.

denverYooper
11-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Denver hasn't won a game since they signed Davis.

George Cumby
11-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Yawn.

pbmax
11-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Denver hasn't won a game since they signed Davis.

If he can't beat lacerated kidney at QB, what's he going to do for them in the playoffs?

smuggler
11-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Is 'Lacerated Kidney' his name now? That's harsh.

KYPack
11-15-2015, 03:13 AM
I think Vernon D is all played out. He may make a couple plays for the Pony's, but TT ain't giving up a six for a guy who'll be on the FA trail in 5 months. I doubt Denver resigns him. He hasn't run those quick, deep seam routes he was famous for in about 3 seasons, counting this one.

ThunderDan
11-15-2015, 10:56 AM
As,much as,people dislike Rich Rod, he is on pace for 56 catches and 8 TDs.

Patler
11-15-2015, 11:09 AM
As,much as,people dislike Rich Rod, he is on pace for 56 catches and 8 TDs.

Which would surpass Finley's receptions in all years except one (when he had 61) and would tie Finley's best year for TDs.

Now if he could just do something other than fall down after he catches it.

pbmax
11-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Which would surpass Finley's receptions in all years except one (when he had 61) and would tie Finley's best year for TDs.

Now if he could just do something other than fall down after he catches it.

I bet his YAC is exactly his height (minus top of head to arm cradle) multiplied by his number of catches.

denverYooper
12-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m2 minutes ago

Lindsay Jones Retweeted Frank Schwab

Critical drops in back to back weeks.

Lindsay Jones added,
Frank Schwab @YahooSchwab
When Denver traded almost nothing for Vernon Davis I figured, eh, can't hurt. Oh yes, yes it can.
0 retweets 0 likes