PDA

View Full Version : the o-line

red
11-16-2015, 03:05 PM
i want to talk about this, and i'd really like someone to tell be i'm nuts on this observation just like some of my others

or else our o-line coach is a fucking moron

WHY........

do both of our tackles immediately retreat when the ball is snapped? they move back 2-4 steps before they even try to make contact with the defense. this causes 2 problems that come to mind

1. it gives DE's or OLb a nice head of steam before they get to the tackle. why not try and jam them at the line and try to slow them down? why not try and hold your ground? we are collapsing the pocket on our own QB before the defenders even do anything

2. it leaves massive holes for blitzers to fly through. on the one play yesterday, we sent the house. none of them got past the line of scrimmage because the o-line stood their ground, and there were no holes for the blitzers. now when both our tackles stand up and start moving backwards right away, it spreads out out line and leaves big gaps in between the tackles and guards, the guards then fall back so the holes aren't so big, and that leaves bigger gaps between the guards and center

and no, these are not just things that have been happening the last few weeks, they have at least been happening all this season, if not longer

am i just seeing things again, or is this a real thing?

mission
11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Looks like a pass pro drop step
My problem has been the middle three... there's always one of them just completely NOT blocking someone right in front of their face. it's killing us

Bossman641
11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Generally on pass protection the OL want to take a step back and "catch" the rushers but I agree that they are giving up too much ground at this point.

red
11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Generally on pass protection the OL want to take a step back and "catch" the rushers but I agree that they are giving up too much ground at this point.

i get they want to move back some, but bahk is almost as deep as a-rod is (in the shotgun) before he stops moving backwards and (tries to) engage his guy

Bossman641
11-16-2015, 03:27 PM
i get they want to move back some, but bahk is almost as deep as a-rod is (in the shotgun) before he stops moving backwards and (tries to) engage his guy

Ya I don't get it either. Earlier in the year I remember reading the tackles were purposefully taking deep drops because Rodgers liked being able to escape out sideways and not feel boxed in. Now with both tackles injured/sucking and the interior also giving ground there's nowhere to go.

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Ya I don't get it either. Earlier in the year I remember reading the tackles were purposefully taking deep drops because Rodgers liked being able to escape out sideways and not feel boxed in. Now with both tackles injured/sucking and the interior also giving ground there's nowhere to go.

Maybe this is why Rogers gets "scared" back there. How many times have we seen the pocket close in on him and he turns to run, can't and then panics with happy feet. Not that I blame him. He can't step up into the pocket like Carson Palmer was doing last night. And if he stands pat, he gets creamed. :-|

Freak Out
11-16-2015, 11:52 PM
The Oline is sucking on a cylinders right now..no run blocking or pass blocking to speak of. It all starts in the trenches and our side is losing. The Carson Palmer reference was perfect.

Cheesehead Craig
11-17-2015, 07:58 AM
I think our OT are so concerned about giving up a speed rush that they can't handle consistently so they back way up to give themselves time to stop it. JMO

MadScientist
11-17-2015, 09:42 AM
i want to talk about this, and i'd really like someone to tell be i'm nuts on this observation just like some of my others

WHY........

do both of our tackles immediately retreat when the ball is snapped? they move back 2-4 steps before they even try to make contact with the defense. this causes 2 problems that come to mind

I think it is common practice for tackles to do this, or something close to this, to form a pocket with good throwing lanes.

However the O-line coach being a moron is still likely. Campen just sucks as a coach, but unlike other season, this year the OL doesn't appear to be improving as the season goes on, instead they are increasing their shitty play, and even the strengths (middle of the line) are playing like shit. They made Detroit look good. That alone should be cause to fire the idiot.

pbmax
11-17-2015, 10:26 AM
I think our OT are so concerned about giving up a speed rush that they can't handle consistently so they back way up to give themselves time to stop it. JMO

I think this is a big part of it. Magian has said he thinks Bulaga doesn't have his quick feet any more. Not sure about Bach, usually he is worried about being bull rushed.

Pugger
11-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I have no clue what is going on but it is shocking how much this unit has regressed since last season. :sad:

Patler
11-17-2015, 10:59 AM
What I find particularly odd is the number of miscommunications with a group that has been together a while, some for a long while.

I asked earlier in this or another thread if something has changed so that the "something new" is what is causing their confusion. I then only somewhat jokingly threw it at the feet of the new assistant, saying it was his fault. No one picked up on it, so I will lay it out:

It was considered somewhat of a coup for the Packers to sign Solari as an assistant o-line coach. He has been the head 0-line coach on teams for years, has a history of coaching one or more to the pro bowl every year. He came from the top o-line job with the 49ers, and reportedly had several offers to be the top guy on several teams. He said he wanted to come to GB, and was willing to be Campen's assistant instead.

During camp, several players raved about some of the nuances and details he was bringing to their play. Sitton(?) said he couldn't wait for games, because the o-line would be even stronger because of what Solari was bringing to them.

Are the deeper drops by the tackles something Solari brought? Are they not yet proficient at it?

Have they instituted something different in pre-snap communication, or in their on-the-fly reads that cause them to play like they have never played with each other before?

The only thing that has changed is Solari. The line was together all last year, and much of it even longer. Even the backups are experienced in the system.

Have the nuances brought by Solari confused them?

mraynrand
11-17-2015, 11:16 AM
I was calling Solaris the manchurian candidate somewhere else. He was probably programmed by Kaepernick or Hairball before he left or something. He seemed a bit gorked out when I talked to him over the summer. He's one of those guys who gets too close and stares without blinking or moving his head. Kinda creepy.

Smidgeon
11-17-2015, 11:34 AM
What I find particularly odd is the number of miscommunications with a group that has been together a while, some for a long while.

I asked earlier in this or another thread if something has changed so that the "something new" is what is causing their confusion. I then only somewhat jokingly threw it at the feet of the new assistant, saying it was his fault. No one picked up on it, so I will lay it out:

It was considered somewhat of a coup for the Packers to sign Solari as an assistant o-line coach. He has been the head 0-line coach on teams for years, has a history of coaching one or more to the pro bowl every year. He came from the top o-line job with the 49ers, and reportedly had several offers to be the top guy on several teams. He said he wanted to come to GB, and was willing to be Campen's assistant instead.

During camp, several players raved about some of the nuances and details he was bringing to their play. Sitton(?) said he couldn't wait for games, because the o-line would be even stronger because of what Solari was bringing to them.

Are the deeper drops by the tackles something Solari brought? Are they not yet proficient at it?

Have they instituted something different in pre-snap communication, or in their on-the-fly reads that cause them to play like they have never played with each other before?

The only thing that has changed is Solari. The line was together all last year, and much of it even longer. Even the backups are experienced in the system.

Have the nuances brought by Solari confused them?

The other thing that changed is Lacy. For whatever reason, he isn't performing. Pre-Lacy, the o-line sucked. Then we got Lacy and the o-line was miraculously better. Pre-Lacy, Campen's head was on a fan's platter. Now we think he gets the o-line ready to play over the course of a season.

A RB like Lacy makes the o-line better. It makes the defense hesitate enough to watch the RB, allowing the o-line a split second advantage in the set. Nobody is respecting Starks (as they shouldn't) and teeing off against the pass. The o-line is on the defensive without any balance.

As good a QB as Rodgers is, he needs a run game to let him maximize his talents (i.e. he isn't a one man show). Ryan Grant, Starks in the playoffs, Eddie Lacy. This team needs a performing Eddie Lacy, and then I believe all else will fall into place.

Fritz
11-17-2015, 03:34 PM
I was calling Solaris the manchurian candidate somewhere else. He was probably programmed by Kaepernick or Hairball before he left or something. He seemed a bit gorked out when I talked to him over the summer. He's one of those guys who gets too close and stares without blinking or moving his head. Kinda creepy.

Sounds a lot like Ted.

I don't think the offensive line is playing well at all. Well, for the first drive of the Detroit game, the pass blocking was great, really great. But then those deep tackle drops started, and Rodgers was hemmed in. On top of that, what the hell happened to run blocking?

Zool
11-17-2015, 03:43 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/499477319_6d66802cb7.jpg?v=0

pbmax
11-17-2015, 05:38 PM
I don't think Gore would help.

bobblehead
11-19-2015, 11:01 AM

WHY........

1. it gives DE's or OLb a nice head of steam before they get to the tackle. why not try and jam them at the line and try to slow them down? why not try and hold your ground? we are collapsing the pocket on our own QB before the defenders even do anything

2. it leaves massive holes for blitzers to fly through. on the one play yesterday, we sent the house. none of them got past the line of scrimmage because the o-line stood their ground, and there were no holes for the blitzers. now when both our tackles stand up and start moving backwards right away, it spreads out out line and leaves big gaps in between the tackles and guards, the guards then fall back so the holes aren't so big, and that leaves bigger gaps between the guards and center

and no, these are not just things that have been happening the last few weeks, they have at least been happening all this season, if not longer

am i just seeing things again, or is this a real thing?

They are not running the ball nearly enough. The D is teeing off. When the D is teeing off the OL needs some room to TRY and control the ears pinned back D. The solution is to run a little more (and successfully)

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't think Gore would help.

maybe Bush?

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110805&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=110805117&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Has-Green-Bay-Packers-CB-Jarrett-Bush-gotten-bad-rap-

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 11:05 AM
They are not running the ball nearly enough. The D is teeing off. When the D is teeing off the OL needs some room to TRY and control the ears pinned back D. The solution is to run a little more (and successfully)

It's sort on an all-of-the-above problem. The run blocking has sucked and Lacy (fat) questionable doesn't help

pbmax
11-19-2015, 11:23 AM
(fat) questionable sounds like a body dysmorphic disorder.

Can we just call him Feast Mode, Pancake or Hefty Bag?

pbmax
11-19-2015, 11:24 AM
The Rotund Mound of Second Down?

The Rotund Mound of Third Down (and Long)?

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm just gonna call him Lumpy. Eddie Lumpy.

esoxx
11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
You can call him Lumpy.

Just don't call him late for dinner.