PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Week

Cheesehead Craig
11-17-2015, 01:48 PM
So the betting odds as of today has this as a pick 'em game.

Given how both teams have been playing over the last month, that smacks of disrespect for the Vikes.

Rutnstrut
11-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Unless the Packers really come out of this funk they are in, this will be a pretty easy win for the Vikes.

denverYooper
11-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Unless the Packers really come out of this funk they are in, this will be a win for the Vikes.

I agree with it if you take the "pretty easy" part out. Carolina and Detroit beat the funked Packers but it didn't end up being easy by the end.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Packers win 24-17, 3 game funk streak comes to an end, just in the nick of time.

denverYooper
11-17-2015, 03:20 PM
As to the OP, I think the lines are still reflecting a belief that the Packers offense probably won't stay stagnant all year.

Fritz
11-17-2015, 03:24 PM
If the line shifts to favor the Vikes by three or more, the Packers will win.

Smidgeon
11-17-2015, 03:31 PM
If the line shifts to favor the Vikes by three or more, the Packers will win.

When was the last time the Pack wasn't a favorite in a divisional game?

Fritz
11-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Dunno. But it just seems like this is the game where, if this team has aspirations, they need to get it together. Another clusterfuck performance by the offense, combined with the defense's slipping at key moments and the special teams giving up some big plays, and then it's time for serious anger and panic.

Freak Out
11-17-2015, 03:49 PM
So the betting odds as of today has this as a pick 'em game.

Given how both teams have been playing over the last month, that smacks of disrespect for the Vikes.

No doubt....didn't they have them as road favorites the last two weeks as well?

Rutnstrut
11-17-2015, 04:58 PM
I agree with it if you take the "pretty easy" part out. Carolina and Detroit beat the funked Packers but it didn't end up being easy by the end.

The Vikes are playing pretty damn good football in all phases right now. The Packers on the other hand aren't even mediocre in any phase.

mraynrand
11-17-2015, 05:38 PM
The Vikes are playing pretty damn good football in all phases right now. The Packers on the other hand aren't even mediocre in any phase.

I think MN 31, GB 6. This is the one where the wheels come off. No way the Packers handle MN's defense if they can't control Detroit. This is MN's first real chance for a signature win under Zimmer and they are gonna lay the lumber. Might look as horrible as GB at Baltimore in 2005.

If it really turns out as bad as I think it will, this could be the game we look back on as the beginning of the end for Stubby and TT.

Freak Out
11-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I think MN 31, GB 6. This is the one where the wheels come off. No way the Packers handle MN's defense if they can't control Detroit. This is MN's first real chance for a signature win under Zimmer and they are gonna lay the lumber. Might look as horrible as GB at Baltimore in 2005.

If it really turns out as bad as I think it will, this could be the game we look back on as the beginning of the end for Stubby and TT.

Noted. I have a feeling the Packers come out ready for this one but I'm probably wrong....the Homer in me refuses to give up. :-)

3irty1
11-17-2015, 07:39 PM

This is what I'm expecting. An absolute donkey show that's in garbage time by the half.

Joemailman
11-17-2015, 07:59 PM
I hasn't happened very often, but when the Packers under McCarthy go into a game where few expect them to win, they usually come out and play pretty well. I'm thinking at New England in 2010, at Houston in 2013(?) and at Seattle last year in NFC Title Game.

Rastak
11-17-2015, 08:06 PM
I hasn't happened very often, but when the Packers under McCarthy go into a game where few expect them to win, they usually come out and play pretty well. I'm thinking at New England in 2010, at Houston in 2013(?) and at Seattle last year in NFC Title Game.

I think they'll be plenty of people that expect the Packers to win. Rich Gannon was on NFL radio saying he was sure the Packers wouldn't lose a 4th in a row this weekend.

Packers are not playing well right now and the Vikings defense sure is....that said, Minnesota's offense other than Peterson running roughshod isn't the most dynamic thing I've ever seen.

I think it will be a pretty close game.

Pugger
11-17-2015, 11:30 PM
You aren't gonna find a lot of Packers fans who feel like we win will this game on Sunday. I almost don't want to watch... :-|

denverYooper
11-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Pack's going to win. 38-17.

mraynrand
11-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Probably the first time in a decade, I am DVRing this one and watching later. There's no way I can put my wife through the experience of watching this game with me. That's how bad I think it will be.

pbmax
11-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Probably the first time in a decade, I am DVRing this one and watching later. There's no way I can put my wife through the experience of watching this game with me. That's how bad I think it will be.

They may very well lose. They have only shown small signs of turning it around (end of last two games, first drive versus Detroit), but even in this funk they are still competitive. The Vikings aren't going to run away and hide on offense. Rodgers doesn't set up teams with great field position.

Its not going to be a tire fire.

If this game was home or a week later, I would predict a big upset win. Like versus the Cowboys in 2009 or that Vikings game at home where no one thought the Packers could run ZBS versus the Williams wall and M3 surprised everyone by throwing the kitchen sink at the running game and making it work. Year or two after Jagodzinski left maybe?

They aren't there yet, but its coming. Yooper could be right though, losing at home to a bad Lions team might have closed the door on rescuing the offseason plan for M3.

Pugger
11-18-2015, 09:59 AM

If you think its gonna be bad why record it?

mraynrand
11-18-2015, 10:21 AM
If you think its gonna be bad why record it?

probably just habit. I have every game going back to 1995 and a handful before that. Also, just in case...

pbmax
11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
M3 PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy on Lacy. He'll practice today. "We'll see how he does coming off the groin injury."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 18s19 seconds ago
McCarthy said Jared Abbrederis will be out "several weeks" with an injury. Does not have specifics.

INJURED, NOT FAT. OR PERHAPS INJURED AND FAT. WE WON'T HAVE MEDICAL DETAILS ON THAT FOR SEVERAL DAYS UNTIL IAN RAPOPPORT GETS OVER THE EPIC BURN HE RECEIVED TODAY FROM CHRIS BROWN AT SMARTFOOTBALL. SERIOUSLY IT WAS FANTASTIC AND I LIKE IAN. BUT IT SHOWS THE SHALLOW UNDERSTANDING THAT SCOOP REPORTERS OR INFORMATION OR INSIDE GUYS ACTUALLY HAVE ABOUT FOOTBAW. WE NOW RETURN TO OUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: WR Jared Abbrederis (ribs) will be out several weeks.

ARE RIBS CONNECTED TO HAMSTRINGS? ARE CONSUSSIONS?

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m6 minutes ago
On Lacy, MM says Lacy "couldn't open up" on Saturday practice. Hoping he can "open up" this week. Starks will start though.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 5m5 minutes ago
MM: If you look at production, offensively we haven't been where we'd like. The way we've been challenged is something we have to overcome

SERIOUSLY, HE TOOK THOSE LESSONS FROM ARI FLEISCHER TO HEART

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy: "To throw the ball 61 times, that's excessive for one game. But you could see the way the game was going."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
MM on lack of running game: It takes a commitment. Throwing 61 times too much. In hindsight, he'd like to rethink that and learn from it.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
MM on Vikings: I think what you see is year 2 of the program. They're well coordinated. Defensively, they're very sound.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4m4 minutes ago
MM on Vikings: Schematically challenging. Playing faster on defense and offense. Bridgewater good command at line of scrimmage.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy on Aaron Rodgers: "He's banged up. We've got a lot of guys who are banged up."

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m3 minutes ago
MM on Rodgers: Hes banged up. Frankly, the way we're practicing today. Longer meetings and walk-throughs is more about coming off last games

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 21s21 seconds ago
MM says Quarless says he's ready but he's not going to practice today. ... Montgomery hasn't been fully cleared by med. staff.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 45s46 seconds ago
McCarthy said rookie WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) has not been "cut all the way loose" by the medical staff. He's not cleared yet.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 13s14 seconds ago
MM says Micah Hyde is banged up after getting hurt on on-side kick. Quarless told him he's ready to go but won't practice today

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10s10 seconds ago
MM: Said Montgomery hasn't been medically cleared to return yet. Hopeful he is this week. All of #Packers' KR/PR dealing with injuries

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6s7 seconds ago
Rookie WR Ty Montgomery was practicing the last 2 weeks but couldn't get medically cleared to play. May get that this week, McCarthy said.

DOUBT THAT MEANS HIS IS FULY PRACTICING. PROBABLY INDIVIDUAL DRILLS OR SIDELINE WORK.

pbmax
11-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Ted is such an idiot.

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL
Texans awarded quarterback Brandon Weeden off waivers from Cowboys, cut cornerback Jumal Rolle http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/11/texans-awarded-quarterback-brandon-weeden-off-waivers-from-cowboys/ …

Bretsky
11-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Because he cut one undrafted free agent to keep another ?

I can think of reasons to argue Ted is an idiot if I wanted, but I think that would be a ways back in the line

pbmax
11-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Because he was roundly criticized for giving up on the camp sensation for a player with better athletic ability who had not been as productive. Now that sensation has been booted off a defense that has under performed for long stretches.

But elsewhere ...

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 21m21 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers is limited with a sore shoulder. Story and video on the increase in QB hits the last three games: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 4h4 hours ago
To be more specific on Rodgers, the injury report in fact said right shoulder.

JSOnline - Packers ‏@js_packers 4h4 hours ago
Rodgers listed as "limited" on injury report with right shoulder injury http://bit.ly/1HZenZe #packers

yetisnowman
11-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Kind of amazing 3 weeks ago we had thoughts of of NFC home field. Now we are a loss to Minny away from being 3 back in the division and a tough road to ho to even make the postseason.

yetisnowman
11-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Well not exactly 3 back but you get my point.

Rutnstrut
11-18-2015, 11:34 PM
To be honest, I have a better feeling about the Viking game than I did about the Lions game. I really felt that they would go into the Detroit game flat, and expecting the Lions to lay down for them. I think they will FINALLY play with a sense of urgency this Sunday. I won't be able to watch the game as I'll be hunting, but I'll have one ear bud in and be listening.

Cheesehead Craig
11-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Vikes are 1 pt favorites. We are officially underdogs.

pbmax
11-19-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't have ESPN Insider so I can pull quotes or the pics, but here is a look at how the receivers aren't getting open against press man.

Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 24m24 minutes ago
#Packers: Rodgers isn't broken--he just needs some help. 3rd & 17...Press-Man? @ESPNInsider: http://es.pn/1HZiJ7U

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CULm0KUW4AAM6tz.png:large

Tony Oday
11-19-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't have ESPN Insider so I can pull quotes or the pics, but here is a look at how the receivers aren't getting open against press man.

#Packers: Rodgers isn't broken--he just needs some help. 3rd & 17...Press-Man? @ESPNInsider: http://es.pn/1HZiJ7U

Need to have short slants to beat press coverage and then get YAC

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Ahhh...remember the good old days when the Packers would feast on single high safety. But that's when a Packer receiver could beat press man coverage, and the O-line could block long enough for a double move. *SIGH*

Bossman641
11-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Short story.....defenses don't respect the Packer WR's and TE's. Defenses aren't doing much disguising, but are lining up and daring the skill position players to beat them, which they aren't. Packers aren't helping the situation by not using bunch formations or pre-snap movement.

Because they don't fear getting beat deep, defenses are playing Rodgers single high and shutting down the run game. With the run game shut down, the offense has been playing behind the sticks way too often. Rodgers' technique has begun to slip the past few weeks as well.

Fixing the issue......

So why is Rodgers struggling? I do believe there is a lack of trust, or frustration, building between Rodgers and his wide receivers. You can see it in the way Rodgers gets impatient as routes develop. He pulls his eyes off his target too quickly and begins to scan the field instead of waiting for that throwing window to appear.

This three-game skid in Green Bay reminds me of the Packers' rough start to the 2014 season when the offense was brought into question again. The static formations, lack of creativity -- same stuff, different season. (The one difference? Defenses were using more two-man coverages to lock down wide receivers last year.)

It's hard to watch their past three games' tapes and not be concerned with the Packers' offense. But I also believe that Rodgers can fix the mechanical issues. He's a true pro. Does that mean the Packers can continue to line up in basic sets and just toss the ball around? Of course not. Green Bay has to do some serious self-scouting this week with the Vikings up next on the schedule. Mike Zimmer's defense is no joke, and the Vikings have the talent in the secondary to challenge these Packers wide receivers.

Creating an offensive game plan that is far less dependent on simple iso routes, using some formation variety and generating throwing windows for the quarterback is a must here. That gives the Packers more flexibility in the call sheet, while setting up opportunities to run the ball versus the six-man boxes they can attack.

esoxx
11-19-2015, 10:51 AM
I won't be able to watch the game as I'll be hunting, but I'll have one ear bud in and be listening.

The game starts at 4:25pm. Do you hunt in the dark?

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 10:58 AM

he just probably wants to be as accurate as Rodgers. No excuses.

Fritz
11-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Okay, I came within one play of being right about the Packers/Lions game last week. I predicted a narrow, close, ugly game with the Packers coming out, barely, on top.

This week I see the Packers playing much better, and I predict a very close game, a dogfight. I don't know if they'll win or not, but there will be much better play this week.

pbmax
11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
One thing the crowding the LOS with press coverage explanation misses is that despite no Nelson and a lot of short throws early in the season, I still see a lot of Cover 2 with no fear of the running game.

Lacy and Starks have not exactly feasted on 6 or 7 in the box numbers.

So I think its safe to say the Packers offense is not taking advantage of ANY opportunity and therefore cannot force the defense into a bad choice. They can play preferred scheme based on personnel and down and distance at their discretion.

pbmax
11-19-2015, 11:14 AM

DNR personnel are fitting bucks with high-visibility sweaters to reduce accidental shootings AND to keep the herd warm. Allows limited dusk/night hunting.

However at dawn, it always looks like a road crew at work on the side of county highways.

Tony Oday
11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
We are going to get crushed this week in Minneapolis. I will have to suffer through DBag Vikes Fans trolling me all week and listening to KFAN and PA just giggle at the downfall of AR and our now pathetic passing attack.

yetisnowman
11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
We are going to get crushed this week in Minneapolis. I will have to suffer through DBag Vikes Fans trolling me all week and listening to KFAN and PA just giggle at the downfall of AR and our now pathetic passing attack.

Hey remember in the offseason, when I said the Vikes and Bridgewater were a team on the rise and would be our stiffest competition moving forward? And you mocked me saying, "I just realized you don't watch football." Now you are automatically conceding a Packer defeat? Good times.

Tony Oday
11-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Hey remember in the offseason, when I said the Vikes and Bridgewater were a team on the rise and would be our stiffest competition moving forward? And you mocked me saying, "I just realized you don't watch football." Now you are automatically conceding a Packer defeat? Good times.

Bridgewater is still pretty bad, they are wining on defense and that is not a jump I saw them making. I was wrong, you were right, You good looking, I am unattractive.

Rastak
11-19-2015, 05:35 PM

I find it hard to believe anyone would troll a personable fellow like yourself.

Rutnstrut
11-19-2015, 08:09 PM

I hunt until dark, by the time we get back to the truck, gear stowed then back to the house the game will be in the 3rd quarter or later.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2015, 10:07 PM

Here at the Rat we have a strict rule against inter-poster dating. In fact, fraternization of any sort is frowned upon.

(Not a bad line, tho.)

pbmax
11-20-2015, 07:04 AM
I hunt until dark, by the time we get back to the truck, gear stowed then back to the house the game will be in the 3rd quarter or later.

You might want to keep your finger off the trigger whenever the Packers are on offense, just in case. :)

Tony Oday
11-20-2015, 07:52 AM

KFAN trolls the entire Packer Community. #packerfanlivesmatter

mraynrand
11-20-2015, 07:54 AM
You might want to keep your finger off the trigger whenever the Packers are on offense, just in case. :)

#triggerwarning

Cheesehead Craig
11-20-2015, 08:43 AM
KFAN trolls the entire Packer Community. #packerfanlivesmatter

Just don't even bother with them, especially PA or the morning show. Some of the most unlistenable radio regardless of the circumstances.

pbmax
11-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Datone Jones at OLB part-time, probably in order to beef up the pass rush with the most effective pass rusher. He has got to struggle with run D if he can't even spell Daniels in nickel.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/11/20/packers-rotating-datone-jones-outside/76089270/

Positions in Capers' defense have become increasingly blurred in recent years with Jones joining a growing list of defenders who converted to new positions, including elephant rushers Mike Neal and Julius Peppers. At 6-foot-4, 285 pounds, Jones is larger than the prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker, but similar in stature to Peppers (6-7, 287).

The Packers drafted Jones with the 28th overall pick in 2013 in hopes he could play end in the base defense and inside rusher in the sub packages. Instead, he mostly has been relegated to the dime in part because of recurring ankle injuries. He has nine tackles and a sack this season.

Still, it’s not the first time Jones has played outside linebacker. He filled in during the 2013 playoff game against San Francisco when Neal left with a knee injury after five snaps and didn’t return.

“Some of his best rushes are from outside, so he absolutely can help us in both of those regards,” Trgovac said. “The thing is it was time to do that. We felt like his development was far enough along at his position where he could go and do things at another position.”

Freak Out
11-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Look what it's come to....sheesh. A first rounder who can't make the field full time..? Shocking.

pbmax
11-20-2015, 10:21 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ankle-continues-to-bother-rookie-receiver-ty-montgomery-b99619511z1-352033981.html

Quinten Rollins is working at returns now that Hyde is banged up and Monty is out.

Freak Out
11-20-2015, 10:27 AM
The Monty injury sucks but at this stage play it safe and get him healthy for the stretch and playoffs (fingers crossed).

mraynrand
11-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Really need an outside pass rush. Peppers takes so many plays off, it's hard to know when he's on. Matthews inside and Neal/Perry mostly run-stoppers, not much there. Mulumba must be garbage and Elliott fuckdoggled and then fuckedoff, apparently. I'm looking for him on milk bottles.

3irty1
11-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Really need an outside pass rush. Peppers takes so many plays off, it's hard to know when he's on. Matthews inside and Neal/Perry mostly run-stoppers, not much there. Mulumba must be garbage and Elliott fuckdoggled and then fuckedoff, apparently. I'm looking for him on milk bottles.

I call horsefeathers on this! Your milk man hasn't ferried bottles in his wagon in nary a century.

mraynrand
11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
I call horsefeathers on this!

http://33.media.tumblr.com/3ce2c593b41c67807d2e5dbb68a576bb/tumblr_mqak6hwqrh1rjcfxro1_250.gif

pbmax
11-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Mule Fritters!

Rastak
11-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Thought this was funny:

Has their recent record against the Packers come up this week? "The 1-9-1 in the last 11?" coach Mike Zimmer said Wednesday afternoon. "No, not yet."

Rutnstrut
11-20-2015, 09:54 PM

Finally someone else that sees that Peppers is on vacation out there.

Rastak
11-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Finally someone else that sees that Peppers is on vacation out there.

That was why the Bears let him walk I had read. His last year in Chicago he didn't give a shit half the time. Things was, when he did seem to care he'd play pretty well. Overall, you guys made out ok with him last year. Seems like it was worth it.

mraynrand
11-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Mule Fritters!

Don't change the color of your face, I'm out of umber!

Fritz
11-21-2015, 07:55 AM
This is a classic "circle the wagons" game. Team under fire, playing like shit, an important opponent playing great football and on a roll.

I do think the Packers will play much, much better this week, and this will be close.

But if this is another ugly performance, with more confusion and more angry gesturing, then I'd say they're getting to be toast.

Pugger
11-21-2015, 08:02 AM
This is a classic "circle the wagons" game. Team under fire, playing like shit, an important opponent playing great football and on a roll.

I do think the Packers will play much, much better this week, and this will be close.

But if this is another ugly performance, with more confusion and more angry gesturing, then I'd say they're getting to be toast.

That wouldn't take much... :neutral:

Fritz
11-21-2015, 08:05 AM
No, I mean much better. Not one drive at the end of the game. We're going to see more consistency (in a good way). It's possible that even if they lose, it will give (some) fans hope that it's almost not too late.

But, as I said, if it's another "we're barely awake" performance, then you can pretty much stick a fork in it.

Part of what's so confusing to me is the lack of energy.

mraynrand
11-21-2015, 10:12 AM
No, I mean much better. Not one drive at the end of the game. We're going to see more consistency (in a good way). It's possible that even if they lose, it will give (some) fans hope that it's almost not too late.

But, as I said, if it's another "we're barely awake" performance, then you can pretty much stick a fork in it.

Part of what's so confusing to me is the lack of energy.

Guessing about the psychology: when stuff isn't working, players lose confidence, get distracted, etc.

That blow-up on the sideline at Carolina doesn't just happen overnight. Look at the players who are underperforming (for whatever reason): Peppers, Lacy, Matthews, R.Rodgers, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Bacteria, Cobb, A. Rodgers,anyone on pass rush I've forgotten, the list goes on and on, but it's full of leaders both on the field and in the locker room. There has to be a frustration and when you start focusing on that, you're not focusing on what you're supposed to be doing to be effective - you are looking around and thinking about who's to blame, etc. It can get toxic and spiral down. That's where I think the Pack is now, and why they are gonna get absolutely destroyed tomorrow.

On offense, they have nothing to hang their hat on. Nothing really is working. For four games straight, they've gone stagnant and can't establish anything. Worst of all, Rodgers' play is going down the toilet. He had at least five passes that I saw that he normally completes that went high or into the dirt. And now he has to face a defense that he's never solved without a really strong running game. The run blocking sucks, and Lacy (fat) questionable probably isn't available, and even if he were he's be sluggish, slow and ineffective behind a shitty, confused, surrendering O-line. I am betting that Zimmer will pin the ears back, virtually ignore the run game and go get Rodgers from the first snap. I am betting that Bacteria and Bulaga will retreat right into his lap all day. Maybe they try a couple of screens, but the Vikes have pretty decent LBs who can get under that crap.

The defense might help keep them in this for a while, but you can't win in the NFL when your offense is in the dumper.

I just don't see how they clean up all their trash in one week.

denverYooper
11-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Guessing about the psychology: when stuff isn't working, players lose confidence, get distracted, etc.

That blow-up on the sideline at Carolina doesn't just happen overnight. Look at the players who are underperforming (for whatever reason): Peppers, Lacy, Matthews, R.Rodgers, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Bacteria, Cobb, A. Rodgers,anyone on pass rush I've forgotten, the list goes on and on, but it's full of leaders both on the field and in the locker room. There has to be a frustration and when you start focusing on that, you're not focusing on what you're supposed to be doing to be effective - you are looking around and thinking about who's to blame, etc. It can get toxic and spiral down. That's where I think the Pack is now, and why they are gonna get absolutely destroyed tomorrow.

On offense, they have nothing to hang their hat on. Nothing really is working. For four games straight, they've gone stagnant and can't establish anything. Worst of all, Rodgers' play is going down the toilet. He had at least five passes that I saw that he normally completes that went high or into the dirt. And now he has to face a defense that he's never solved without a really strong running game. The run blocking sucks, and Lacy (fat) questionable probably isn't available, and even if he were he's be sluggish, slow and ineffective behind a shitty, confused, surrendering O-line. I am betting that Zimmer will pin the ears back, virtually ignore the run game and go get Rodgers from the first snap. I am betting that Bacteria and Bulaga will retreat right into his lap all day. Maybe they try a couple of screens, but the Vikes have pretty decent LBs who can get under that crap.

The defense might help keep them in this for a while, but you can't win in the NFL when your offense is in the dumper.

I just don't see how they clean up all their trash in one week.

I know what you are saying and have seen similar dynamics play out on projects that are not going well. Those kinds of projects often become a slog at best and destroy the project team at worst. At root, there often seems to be a disconnect between different groups within the team and with management. Dialog becomes unhealthy and messages that aren't getting across turn into public acts of "throwing people under the bus". Sadly, the Packers seem to be headed to that place and it is a difficult hole to climb out of. A 3 game losing streak is something this team has not experienced in several years and the sustained disappointment is starting to show.

My last hope, and that which the fanatic in me will hang on to until the door is closed on the 2015 season, is that they have managed to pull out of offensive slumps before. How many years have we waited 1/2 a season or more for them to "figure it out"? They saw it happen in 2010 but their defense and opponent quality were sufficient to drag them through a multi-game offensive funk. They're clearly trying different players in an effort to find a spark.

You could be very right and it would not surprise me. When all is said and done this year, even though they will win some more games, we may look back on it as a failed project. Until that time, though, I'll continue to peg every week as the one where they figure it out and turn their season around.

This week is a great time for them to show some life

red
11-21-2015, 10:53 AM
i don't have much hope for a win this week

last week against the worst team in the league was that game where things should have turned around

all we've heard this week is excuses and off the field bullshit. i doubt this team has its head screwed on right

not to mention we are about to ply a team that is very hungry and looking to make a huge statement against their biggest rival

i think we get another ugly loss

pbmax
11-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Since the Packers won at Chicago late in 2012, the Packers have lost seven consecutive road games against teams that finished in the top six in scoring defense with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. With Denver at 7-2 and ranking third in scoring defense and Carolina at 9-0 and ranking sixth, that losing streak essentially stands at nine games heading into Sunday’s showdown at Minnesota, which is 7-2 and ranks second in points allowed.

GAME OPPONENT SCORE OPP PPG AR RAT/YARDS OPP. RAT/YARDS
2012, Divisinl San Francisco 31-45 17.1 91.5/257 81.2200.2
2013, Week 1 San Francisco 28-34 17.0 102.6/333 78.6/221.0
2013, Week 3 Cincinnati 30-34 19.1 64.5/244 75.3/209.0
2014, Week 1 Seattle 16-36 15.9 81.5/189 78.8/185.6
2014, Week 3 Detroit 7-19 17.6 88.8/162 84.6/231.6
2014, Week 15 Buffalo 13-21 18.1 34.3/185 74.5205.8
2014, NFCC Seattle 22-28 15.9 55.8/178 78.8/185.6
2015, Week 8 Denver 10-29 18.7 69.7/77 74.6/182.8
2015, Week 9 Carolina 29-37 19.4 96.6/369 69.1/234.6
Total 20.7 17.6 76.0/220.7 77.3/206.2

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1614393-world-s-best-preview-look-at-the-rosters

denverYooper
11-21-2015, 11:16 AM
A few things about the Lions:
1.) They aren't the worst team in the league. They've gotten blown out twice but have otherwise been competitive
2.) They have frequently given M3's Packers trouble over the years. Probably more than any other NFCN team. The Packers have gone 1-1 against the Lions over the last couple of years and the largest margin of victory since 2010 was 13 points in a home game that did not seem that close. They kicked 5 FGs because the offense kept getting bogged down in that game.
3.) They are still physical on defense despite the talent drain. The way they played the Packers last Sunday is a style that the Packers often struggle to score against.

The Packers still need to figure out which way is up but the loss to the Lions is not the harbinger of disaster some are making it out to be.

denverYooper
11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Since the Packers won at Chicago late in 2012, the Packers have lost seven consecutive road games against teams that finished in the top six in scoring defense with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. With Denver at 7-2 and ranking third in scoring defense and Carolina at 9-0 and ranking sixth, that losing streak essentially stands at nine games heading into Sunday’s showdown at Minnesota, which is 7-2 and ranks second in points allowed.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1614393-world-s-best-preview-look-at-the-rosters

For the time being, FO still has the Packers above the Vikings in DVOA and division win probability. Their explanation from the DVOA article this week (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2015/week-10-dvoa-ratings) is interesting:

Why does DVOA seem so wrong about the Vikings?
There are some general reasons why the Vikings rank so low in DVOA. First, they've had phenomenal luck recovering fumbles. The Vikings have recovered 7 of 10 fumbles on offense, and 4 of 5 fumbles on defense. (They've had no fumbles on special teams. They had a muff, but those are almost always recovered by the return team.) Minnesota's 73 percent fumble recovery rate is second in the league this year. Only San Francisco has had better luck, recovering 75 percent of fumbles. (That's one of the reasons the 49ers are so far behind the rest of the league in the DVOA cellar despite winning three games.)
Second, the Vikings have had a very easy schedule so far. Based on average DVOA of opponent, the Vikings' past schedule ranks 31st -- only Atlanta has had it easier -- while their upcoming schedule is the toughest in the league. Their schedule has been particularly easy when it comes to opposing offenses, which is part of why the Vikings still rank just 20th in defensive DVOA even though they are second in the league in fewer points allowed. Five of Minnesota's nine games have come against the five worst offenses by DVOA: No. 28 Detroit (twice), No. 30 San Francisco, No. 31 St. Louis, and No. 32 Denver. The best offense they've faced this year is Oakland, which again helps explain why this week they had their highest single-game DVOA of the year at 44.7%.
But it's single games that create the biggest difference between Minnesota's DVOA and conventional wisdom, as you'll see when you look at the week-to-week graph for the Vikings' season so far.

Minnesota has four games with a single-game DVOA rating below zero. One is the loss to Denver, as expected. Another is a close win over Detroit, where the negative rating is not a huge surprise given the heavy downward adjustments that come from playing Detroit this season. The other two games are the real issue here: a Week 6 victory over Kansas City and that 20-3 faceplant against San Francisco way back on the first Monday night of the season.
I wrote about the Week 6 Kansas City game back after Week 6, calling it the kookiest, craziest result in a week filled with kooky DVOA results. The Vikings won 16-10 even though Kansas City gained 5.8 yards per play with a 47 percent success rate while Minnesota gained only 4.7 yards per play with a 33 percent success rate. Those stats certainly back the idea that Kansas City was the better team that day. And while the ratings for that game are part of why we've been so wrong about Minnesota since midseason, they are also part of why we've been so right about Kansas City in the same time period. After that game, Kansas City ranked 18th in DVOA despite being 1-5. Since then, the Chiefs have won three straight and moved into the DVOA top ten. We really can't ignore what DVOA tells us about Week 6.

On the other hand, it sure does look like we can ignore what DVOA tells us about Week 1, doesn't it? Minnesota's -92.7% DVOA for that loss to San Francisco is the second-lowest game by any team this year, trailing only Tampa Bay's Week 1 loss to Tennessee which now has a horrifying single-game DVOA of -121.3%. San Francisco may have three wins, but that's the only positive DVOA game the 49ers have had all season. There's extra reason to believe it might be a fluke: not only was it the first game of the season, but Minnesota was stuck playing the special late game of opening Monday night despite being a Central Time Zone team. Not that we have much history to look at a sample of Central and Eastern teams playing at 7:00 Pacific time, but it makes logical sense that like Pacific teams playing at 1:00 Eastern, this may have been a problem.
All the research we've done on the last 25 years of football tells us that the long-term view is usually better than the short-term, and we don't throw out games just because they look fluky. That game will count in Minnesota's DVOA all year. It will gradually fade out in the weighted DVOA formula, but it won't disappear entirely until Week 15. Nonetheless, take that game out and the Vikings look a lot different. This table shows how Minnesota's rating moves closer to conventional wisdom has you forget about Week 1, strength of schedule, and then fumble recovery luck.

pbmax
11-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
Micah Hyde, T.J. Lang upgraded to PROBABLE for Sunday vs. Vikings. Injury updates: http://pckrs.com/p4t8 #GBvsMIN

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago
Packers added CB Damarious Randall (hamstring) to injury report and he is questionable for Sunday's game vs. Vikings.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
Micah Hyde (hip) and T.J. Lang (shoulder) have been upgraded to probable. Ty Montgomery (ankle) is doubtful.

Fritz
11-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
Micah Hyde, T.J. Lang upgraded to PROBABLE for Sunday vs. Vikings. Injury updates: http://pckrs.com/p4t8 #GBvsMIN

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago
Packers added CB Damarious Randall (hamstring) to injury report and he is questionable for Sunday's game vs. Vikings.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
Micah Hyde (hip) and T.J. Lang (shoulder) have been upgraded to probable. Ty Montgomery (ankle) is doubtful.

Next man up - "Fat" Rollins!😁

pbmax
11-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
The #Packers added a player to injury report (not personal/illness) midweek five times in 2014 reg. season. Already happened 14 times in '15

They do have a Saturday practice now (did last year too) so there are going to be updates compared to the theoretical Friday report. But is this just random, or more/less honesty?

denverYooper
11-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Hell if I know.

I always thought it would be a fun little linguistics project to analyze communications circulating from coaches and players against things like the injury report/starting lineup/snap counts/etc to see if there are clear signals from different teams. The M3 n-gram analyzer.

Yeah. One of these years I might get around to it.

If there is one thing I know it is that "Significant" = IR.