PDA

View Full Version : Driver : Let Walker go, doesn't see A-Rod as his QB yet

motife
04-15-2006, 12:40 AM
THURSDAY, April 13, 2006, 5:08 p.m.
By Bob Wolfley

Driver says Packers should let Walker go
Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver said the team should let Packers receiver Javon Walker go, given the bad feelings Walker has about the organization.

Walker, who is under contract with the Packers, has said he will not play again for Green Bay.

"Right now, Javon, what he's telling everyone is that he wants out," Driver told radio station WAUK-AM (1510) on Thursday morning. "I would love to have him he knows I love him dearly. But if he wants out, the best thing to do is just let him go. Go where he's going to go, somewhere else and be happy."

Driver said Walker is unhappy because he has been unable to get a new contract with the Packers.

"I think Javon feels he's made plays he felt he had the great year and felt he wanted to be a Green Bay Packer the rest of his career," Driver said. "I guess he wanted that new contract, but the Packers felt like they wanted to see a little bit more in him. And Javon, after that, felt like he wasn't going to go out and play for a team that didn't respect him, or didn't feel like they had to compensate him well."

Driver said Brett Favre is not hurting the team by not having made up his mind to retire or play another season.

"I think when a guy has made a legacy in an organization, you give him the time to make that decision," Driver said.

Driver said he wants Favre to return to play.

"Right now, I am hoping Brett comes back," Driver said. "I am trying not to look at Aaron Rodgers being my quarterback right now."

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=4/13/2006&id=4810

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 12:50 AM
With all due respect to Donald Driver, who is a great man and a great player, this one is so ugly he's best off staying out of it.

I like the line TT is taking with Javon Whiner, I mean Walker.

Walker has no cards on this one. He only wants to strike gold on the market. It's not about the team, it's about riches...which he falsely lables as respect when ripping Green Bay.

Lay his options out for him

1. You can retire, and if you are that bitter don't let the door hit you in the ass. But understand if you come back you are ours for a year.

2. You can play, and you can work hard enough to excel, and get your riches.....whether it's with us or not.

3. You can sit out, in which you will receive daily fines for every day you are not in camp. And you will eventually return, and if we choose we will franchise you next year so don't even consider dogging it.

Javon Walker is getting bad advice, and he's an immature whining punk right now. Call his bluff, and he'll be back in Green n Gold before we know it.

Tarlam!
04-15-2006, 02:23 AM
What Bretsky said, without changing a syllable. Good post, Bretsky.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 02:34 AM
I have to disagree. If you let JWalk stew, he'll likely come in for six games, dog it, and wait for the Packers to franchise him. If they do, they're fools - how hard will he play? Will he affect an injury from time to time? If word gets out that JWalk is dogging it, it will not affect his value (see Owens, Terrell). He only has to show enough to prove he's physically recovered. All of this means two more years of crap.

Trade him. Before the draft. Highest bidder wins. Get something for the guy. Perhaps you could squeeze a third round pick out of someone, or maybe an early fourth.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I have to disagree. If you let JWalk stew, he'll likely come in for six games, dog it, and wait for the Packers to franchise him. If they do, they're fools - how hard will he play? Will he affect an injury from time to time? If word gets out that JWalk is dogging it, it will not affect his value (see Owens, Terrell). He only has to show enough to prove he's physically recovered. All of this means two more years of crap.

Trade him. Before the draft. Highest bidder wins. Get something for the guy. Perhaps you could squeeze a third round pick out of someone, or maybe an early fourth.

We cannont get screwed by these crybaby antics; trade Walker for a fourth now and what happens the next time a stud no longer wants to be in Green Bay. The same thing will happen over and over and over and over and over again.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
if he wants out, the best thing to do is just let him go. Go where he's going to go, somewhere else and be happy.

This is kind of a funny statement. It sounds like advice you might give a friend about their girlfriend or boyfriend. Walker is a piece of meat owned by the Packers for the next year. Ya, I agree he can't play in G.B., but it's not as simple as "if you love someone, set them free."

Fritz
04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
"We cannont get screwed by these crybaby antics; trade Walker for a fourth now and what happens the next time a stud no longer wants to be in Green Bay. The same thing will happen over and over and over and over and over again."

Every time it happens I'd trade the guy, Bretsky. I wouldn't want players that are as angry as Walker. And most guys in Green Bay are not. Some are a little disgruntled, and that's okay, though of course it'd be better if they were all gruntled.

Partial
04-15-2006, 10:45 AM
nah, the players cannot have all the power.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Better to get something than have the kind of toxic crap that results from these Mike Mckenzie/JWalk situations. Get them the hell out of Dodge.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Better to get something than have the kind of toxic crap that results from these Mike Mckenzie/JWalk situations. Get them the hell out of Dodge.

We got Nick Collins out of McKenzie. MM messed the chemistry up that year, but by being strong we got the best player we could.

And I do think we'd have a lot more disgruntled players if we caved in to them.

BooHoo
04-15-2006, 11:44 AM
A fourth-rounder is not high enough for Whiner (Walker). If that is all that is offered for him, just keep him. Please hold out for a second round pick.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM

We got Nick Collins out of McKenzie. MM messed the chemistry up that year, but by being strong we got the best player we could.

That's my point, Bretsky. By ditching MM we ended up with something in exchange - a solid starting safety. What if Shermy had held on and ended up cutting MM? Then what? Then JWalk would be scared and not complain? I don't think so.

Tarlam!
04-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Fritz, your point about T.O. is not actually making your case, rather, it adds to Bretsky's. T.O. was paid a lower salary than in Philly, and it is full of clauses and incentives etc. Very little guanteed.

J-Walk want a huge guaranteed bonus.

Let the guy fry. Don't even let him suit up the last 6 games, officially citing, injury concern.

Then, Franchise the mother. We got cash to burn. It aint gonna cost us nothing. If he pulls a TT, pull a Philly. Only do it the TT, much colder and harder than in Philly.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 05:08 PM

That's my point, Bretsky. By ditching MM we ended up with something in exchange - a solid starting safety. What if Shermy had held on and ended up cutting MM? Then what? Then JWalk would be scared and not complain? I don't think so.

My point was Sherman called MM's bluff and held out for close to fair market value. Trading him was the only move, and it was not easy.

The easy way out of the JWalk situation is to trade him now while everybody is happy to lowball TT with trade offers. Several teams offered Shermy 3rd-4th rounders for MM, but by holding out Sherman got a 2.

Several teams would happily part with a 4th and probably a 3rd rounder for Walker, but we need more................and we need to take a tough line stance either get JWalk to come back OR get something close to his fair market value.

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Problem is, it's hard to know the fair market value of a guy with a blown-out knee.

Guiness
04-15-2006, 07:41 PM
If word gets out that JWalk is dogging it, it will not affect his value (see Owens, Terrell).

I can see both sides of this argument, even if I lean more towards letting him rot. But this statement got me Fritz.

A lot of things have been said about T.O. But I've never heard that he's done anything other than perform to the absolute utmost of his abilities once he steps on the field. That was the big argument generally used if you asked someone if they would prefer T.O. or Moss - at least with T.O. you know what you're getting between the lines.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Problem is, it's hard to know the fair market value of a guy with a blown-out knee.

it's lower than it should be

falco
04-15-2006, 08:22 PM
We'll end up getting a second for him from Philly, just watch.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 02:40 AM
We'll end up getting a second for him from Philly, just watch.

And, from a Packers standpoint, that's not fair. We used a one to get him, suffered through 2 years of crap while he matured to NFL calibre, go through his moaning last year, only to have him blow his head gasket.

Now, he could steup in and earn the dough we forked out and leave with his head held high. Ripened and mature. Instead, he wants to shaft the team mates, the front office and ultimately his real boss, the fans.

This sooo sucks about the NFL.

esoxx
04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Excellent post Tarlam. Agree completely.

GBRulz
04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
question - IF by chance it comes down to JW sitting out, but coming back for the last 6 games, do we HAVE to let him play / get credit for those 6 games? Do we have to activate him?

if we do, I'm assuming there are no rules that says he actually has to get any playing time, right? Let's see where he winds up that following year without really playing any football for almost 3 seasons. yeah, that will get him a fat contract.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
You have a vindictive streak. I like it. Don't know if it would work, but I like it.

Partial
04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
but then we'd be stuck with nothing. Better he comes in, shows he can play, gets a franchise tag and a trade. He gets his money and change of scenary, we get fair compensation.