PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Cut Lewinski and Goldberg

No Mo Moss
09-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I haven't found anything in writting, but the NFL radio reports that the MN Vikings have cut OL Lewinski and Goldberg. IMO Lewinski is a no brainer pick-up as he would become one of our best Guards imediately. More to follow.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree. I don't know what went wrong, but he was solid before last year. He could suck, but it would be worth bringing him in. Hopefully, he doesn't get claimed. This would be a no brainer.

I don't think Goldberg fits the scheme though. He's more of a mauler.

Rastak
09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I agree. I don't know what went wrong, but he was solid before last year. He could suck, but it would be worth bringing him in. Hopefully, he doesn't get claimed. This would be a no brainer.

I don't think Goldberg fits the scheme though. He's more of a mauler.

Yea, both of those guys have looked good in the past but last year they were both horrible.

No Mo Moss
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
How does the claim systems work?

Goldberg might even be better than some of our other back-ups, but if I don't see Lewinski added to this team I'll be dissappointed.

mngolf19
09-02-2006, 04:24 PM
How does the claim systems work?

Goldberg might even be better than some of our other back-ups, but if I don't see Lewinski added to this team I'll be dissappointed.

No Mo, I think anyone can claim him and he just signs where he wants to.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I think the worst teams can put a claim on him. The player doesn't choose which team. If the player clears waivers, then anybody is free to sign him. So, if the Saints wanted Liwienski, they could put a claim on him and usurp other teams.

Rastak
09-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I think the worst teams can put a claim on him. The player doesn't choose which team. If the player clears waivers, then anybody is free to sign him. So, if the Saints wanted Liwienski, they could put a claim on him and usurp other teams.

Yea, I think that's how it worksd and they'd also assume his current contract.

Creepy
09-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I thihk waivers follow the same rule as the draft, worse teams get first choice. Once a player has cleared waivers he then can be a FA. The rule on waivers is that you absorb the current contract the player is under.

Some players getting cut is due to not renegotiating their contracts. Teams are overpaying them and letting them go. The team that picks them only pays for the basic salary, they do not absorb any of the bonus money. For example if GB cut Favre any team that pikced him up would have to pay his 10M salary. Before some head cases get going, I am using it as an example only.

Since GB is 7M under they have a great chance of picking up a better player than other teams. So lets see what decent OL will be cut that GB may afford. See who is strongest where GB is weakest and see who is let go. Sometimes a starter is released based on salary and the upside of a younger player. Liewinski may be one of these players.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Liwienski makes pretty good money, right? That's probably why he's not a backup any longer. If so, he should make it through waivers.

Rastak
09-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Liwienski makes pretty good money, right? That's probably why he's not a backup any longer. If so, he should make it through waivers.

Goldberg was traded to the Rams and Lewinski doesn't make huge coin.....

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 04:59 PM
But how long does it take to clear waivers?

falco
09-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't think we need to worry about players clearing waivers; we will be near the top of the list for claiming off waivers. Only 4 team ahead of us.

MJZiggy
09-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I was just wondering in general as to the specifics of how the process works. What do they call each team asking them if they want each player or do they put them on a list where you have a certain amount of time after he's placed on the list to claim him and then he goes to the team that was highest in the order.

falco
09-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I was just wondering in general as to the specifics of how the process works. What do they call each team asking them if they want each player or do they put them on a list where you have a certain amount of time after he's placed on the list to claim him and then he goes to the team that was highest in the order.

Ziggy, my guess would be that you put claims on whoever you want and once the time period is up, the team highest in the waiver order gets the player.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe thats how it goes.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't believe we'll know of any guys we may have claimed until tomorrow.