PDA

View Full Version : FEAR OF BEING CUT NOT THE PACKER WAY............

Bretsky
12-02-2015, 09:52 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-seldom-play-fear-card-by-shuffling-roster-b99626762z1-360085831.html

mraynrand
12-02-2015, 10:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-seldom-play-fear-card-by-shuffling-roster-b99626762z1-360085831.html

See: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28342-Lions-Week-II/page2

Joemailman
12-02-2015, 10:39 PM
B just can't resist McGinn articles that paint the Packers in a bad light.

mraynrand
12-02-2015, 11:00 PM

sure, but I'm stunned that Bob has descended into trite, poorly reasoned garbage.

But as long as Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are in charge, heads will not roll and the talk of accountability will remain an ephemeral proposition.

Albert Einstein is sometimes credited with defining insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Management in Green Bay can only hope its rigid, tried-and-true methods start bearing fruit over the last five games.

Seriously Bob, the last two sentences are totally contradictory. As to the first of the three: accountability is about playing time. Lacy fumbles and he's yanked. Palmer underperforms and is yanked and replaced by a rookie. Peppers takes plays off and he gets yanked and replaced by among other things moving Jones. Bob is really off his rocker.

Rutnstrut
12-02-2015, 11:44 PM
He is right about one thing. they do just do the same thing and hope for a different outcome. But I say it's coaches that aren't held accountable that are the main problem.

woodbuck27
12-03-2015, 02:46 AM
sure, but I'm stunned that Bob has descended into trite, poorly reasoned garbage.

Seriously Bob, the last two sentences are totally contradictory. As to the first of the three: accountability is about playing time. Lacy fumbles and he's yanked. Palmer underperforms and is yanked and replaced by a rookie. Peppers takes plays off and he gets yanked and replaced by among other things moving Jones. Bob is really off his rocker.

Management in Green Bay can only hope .......

Patler
12-03-2015, 05:37 AM
Lots of really foolish aspects to this article.

In the last 10 years, have the Seahawks or Patriots won more Super Bowls than Thompsn/McCarthy? Did Wolf and Holmgren? Did Sherman? Did any of them win all that many more games because of their revolving door? That seems to indicate that you could write the same exact article with the opposite standard. Hold up roster stability as the right approach, point out the times it arguably worked and the teams it worked for, like the Packers in 2010. and contrast that against roster turmoil and when that failed to work. You could point out how a guy like Lang was allowed to mature into one of their better players, when his poor approach could have gotten him fired in his second season. If it works either way, neither way is better than the other.

Wasn't McGinn one of the guys who advocated for Crosby to be released during his difficult season? In retrospect, how wise would that have been? He is 79/91 since then, with only one miss coming under 40 yards, during the ST fiascos of last year. While he has 11 misses at 40 and longer, he has a lot of attempts from distance. He is 18/23 at 40-49 yard and 13/19 at 50+ since he could/should have been fired.

I would dispute his implication that Lombardi released a lot of players during the season. I have no desire to try and verify it one way or the other, but my recollection is that changes occurred in the off season under Lombardi, just like with the current Packers.

He emphasizes firings during the season. The Packers hold players accountable, but it is in the off season. Their roster turns over extensively from year to year. Hawk and Jones lost their starting spots last year, then were fired in the off season. Bostick and Dorsey were also fired shortly after the end of the season. Luther Robinson and Aaron Adams were fired before camp started. Both were with the Packers in 2014. Kyri Thornton, Josh Francis and other holdovers from 2014 and before were fired during training camp.

McGinn's argument presupposes that a lot of mistakes are made in the roster decisions during training camp. Sure, there are some, even critical ones like Bostick last year, the firing of whom during the season might have helped for obvious reasons. However, the fact that over the years the Packers have gotten a lot of contributions from all levels of their roster due to injuries and coaches decisions to roll a lot of players in and out suggests that by and large their roster decisions are good, and/or roster stability prepares whoever is kept to make meaningful contributions.

McGinn's analyses are getting worse and worse.

denverYooper
12-03-2015, 05:59 AM
He is right about one thing. they do just do the same thing and hope for a different outcome. But I say it's coaches that aren't held accountable that are the main problem.

If anything, they made some huge changes after a pretty good, but ultimately heartbreaking, outcome last year. Maybe their problem is that they made too many changes in an effort to produce a different outcome. They changed up the coaching hierarchy quite a bit and, to this point, it seems to be hurting them more than it helped them.

The outcome every year but 1 so far of the M3 era has been a playoff appearance, with 1 superbowl victory. They made it to the playoffs for 6 years running now and will probably (0.85) make it to the postseason again. Once they get to the postseason, they have a decent shot of getting through. There is no San Fran/Seattle juggernaut anymore. The NFC is wide open this year.

They're just trying the only known method in the last 10 years that has produced 2 superbowl wins for the originator -- the Coughlin Method (brought to you by Werther's) -- play a bunch of close games where you come back to near wins, struggle to the point where you just barely get in, make your fans hate you and the media think you're a mess. And then turn your mix of furious comeback barnyard offense, assortment of savvy vet pass rushers (Peppers, CM3), young up-an-comers (Datone Jones, Jayrone Elliott), and stout DL (Daniels, Raji, Pennel) loose to wreak havoc on opposing teams.

Of course, the Coughlin Method has been known to result in nuclear dumpster fires. But what the hell? It's a high risk/high reward strategy.

Bob's running for his life right now but if he were smart he'd just go solo and make a lot of ching by having his finger of the pulse of the Packer fan panic. He could turn that clickbait into some serious advertising revenue.

mraynrand
12-03-2015, 06:13 AM
He is right about one thing. they do just do the same thing and hope for a different outcome.

Thanks for parroting the idiocy of McGinn. No, they do the same thing and expect the same outcome they've observed for 10 years - sustained success.

mraynrand
12-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Bob's running for his life right now but if he were smart he'd just go solo and make a lot of ching by having his finger of the pulse of the Packer fan panic. He could turn that clickbait into some serious advertising revenue.

I think Bob was told to up the clicks or he'd be writing about 25 celebrities you didn't know were dead. #17 is a shocker.

Patler
12-03-2015, 06:17 AM

If it is MM you are referring to as not having been held accountable, maybe. If you are suggesting that MM has not held his staff accountable, I disagree completely. I would be surprised if there is any other active HC today who has fired/forced out more of his staff than MM has. He has fired plenty enough for his 10 year career. I'm not sure he has done well hiring, however.

Joemailman
12-03-2015, 06:20 AM
I think Bob was told to up the clicks or he'd be writing about 25 celebrities you didn't know were dead. #17 is a shocker.

Bob's article is beyond stunning.

Bretsky
12-03-2015, 06:41 AM

Im entertained by shock and awe...aka criticism or fighting of any sort. The logistical stuff doesn't entertain me much in a season like this when it's so painfully obvious of our shortcomings. So anytime the Dobber write something controversial I post it in here for the sharks to attack if they choose :)

mraynrand
12-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Im entertained by shock and awe...aka criticism or fighting of any sort. The logistical stuff doesn't entertain me much in a season like this when it's so painfully obvious of our shortcomings. So anytime the Dobber write something controversial I post it in here for the sharks to attack if they choose :)

25 things Bretsky does to incite Packerrat rioting: #12 is stunning!

red
12-03-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm starting to think Bob is my other personality that I don't know about

I've said the same thing many times (patler usually correct ts me every time too)

I've also used the Einstein quote a bunch of times talking about this team

red
12-03-2015, 09:15 AM
It's fun to read someones opi ion on the team that doesn't give a shit what the team thinks of him, isn't on their payroll, and doesn't care is the team "shuns" him

Patler
12-03-2015, 09:17 AM

That makes them very much like most coaches I have known and observed.

mraynrand
12-03-2015, 09:34 AM

If they were unsuccessful (overall, as Bob McClickbait suggests) it might make some sense.

This post makes you look kinda foolish and you're not as foolish as McClickbait's column.

Patler
12-03-2015, 10:11 AM
If they were unsuccessful (overall, as Bob McClickbait suggests) it might make some sense.

When it comes right down to it, I guess that is what makes the feel of McGinn's recent articles so absurd to me. He continually now compares the Packers to Seattle and NE. In the past he included SF in those comparisons, at times also the flavors of the month like Philly and Atlanta. It's always the same approach, the Packers do "it" wrong (whatever "it" is for the specific article), and here are the teams that do it right. But the simple fact is TT and MM have been just as effective as anyone else over that same time frame, and only a couple others have had the prolonged success that GB has.

If McGinn approached these topics in a more analytical way, instead of blatantly condemning whatever the Packer approach is, I would take him more seriously. From the tone of his articles, you would thing the Packers are perennial losers who never make the playoffs and haven't sniffed a SB trip in decades.

As I wrote above, you could make the argument that it became clear early last year for Boykin and later for Bostick that things were not clicking for them in GB. Cutting each and bring in a better(?) or at least hungrier and more attentive player would have hurt nothing and might have improved the NFCCG outcome. On the flip side, having the same fast trigger with Crosby could have been a mistake.

Fritz
12-03-2015, 10:24 AM
It's fun to read someones opi ion on the team that doesn't give a shit what the team thinks of him, isn't on their payroll, and doesn't care is the team "shuns" him

You must love my posts. I don't give a shit what the team thinks of me, I'm not on their payroll, and I don't care that they shun me.

I do care what Drew Barrymore thinks, though.

red
12-03-2015, 04:36 PM
You must love my posts. I don't give a shit what the team thinks of me, I'm not on their payroll, and I don't care that they shun me.

I do care what Drew Barrymore thinks, though.

as it should be fritz

Bossman641
12-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Bob is constantly changing the target. In the past couple years he's implied the Packers should act more like the Bears, Vikings, Seattle, SF, and NE. Outside of NE, none of those teams have been successful as the Packers over the long term.

This is just sloppy journalism. Pick 2 teams who have cut a lot of players during the season and act like that's the key to success. I'd love to see a breakdown of every team. Know who else probably cuts a lot of players during the season? I'm guessing a lot of the bottom feeders.

denverYooper
12-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Maybe Gannett will improve JSO's slideshow game.

pbmax
12-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Maybe Gannett will improve JSO's slideshow game.

I think I said this earlier but if JSO adopts the Gannett web interface, I am going to follow soccer.

red
12-03-2015, 07:24 PM
I think I said this earlier but if JSO adopts the Gannett web interface, I am going to follow soccer.

well, i can tell you NOT to follow leeds united

talk about a cluster fuck of a team. they make the packers look like they know what they're doing

Bretsky
12-03-2015, 11:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned Bob can throw enough crap at the wall and something will stick. Or TT can prove him wrong........and show GB to be more than a Fart in the Wind