PDA

View Full Version : Hail Mary

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2015, 01:17 AM
On the Hail Mary why would the Packers not have Jeff Janis in the game? Did he get hurt and I missed it? He's their biggest and fastest receiver, with the second best vertical leap among the receiver group. No offense to Abby, but I'd rather have Janis going for the Hail Mary over Abby. I'm not a big Janis ball washer. I think he's still too raw to contribute much (although I think he'll be solid one day), but it made little sense to me why he wasn't in the game.

Smidgeon
12-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Quote of the night:

Asked about his recollections of being in such a close game like this, or on the losing end, McCarthy brought up Seattle.

“I’ll just say this – at least our guy really caught the ball.”

Patler
12-04-2015, 04:48 AM
JSO article says they did not have the right personnel on the field for their hail mary play.
I don't know what the logistics are for running a play when time is extended due to a penalty on the defense. Maybe they felt they had to stay with the players they had for the previous play.

Carolina_Packer
12-04-2015, 05:38 AM
JSO article says they did not have the right personnel on the field for their hail mary play.
I don't know what the logistics are for running a play when time is extended due to a penalty on the defense. Maybe they felt they had to stay with the players they had for the previous play.

Judging it by overall success rate, does anyone really ever have the right personnel on the field for a Hail Mary play? ;-)

Bretsky
12-04-2015, 06:26 AM
I wanted to say he's unreliable and would probably droped it anyways........but they had Adams on the field so that argument goes to crap

Deputy Nutz
12-04-2015, 07:16 AM
I have to take an awful shit this morning, but I feel like I will be more successful if I wait for total annihilation

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 07:21 AM
I have to take an awful shit this morning, but I feel like I will be more successful if I wait for total annihilation

our nation's storyteller

Deputy Nutz
12-04-2015, 07:21 AM
I think I have hit that magical point of no return

mission
12-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Did you see Janis on that fly pattern? He ran for like 10 yards with his arms in the air slowing down... I'd say he wasn't in there because he can't catch. My guess.

Badgerinmaine
12-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Here's what strikes me as I watch the replay again...and again...and again this morning (somehow I don't get tired of it :mrgreen: ) : I would think teams must have some sort of Hail Mary drill they practice on defense. The Lions had nobody in front of Richard R. They've got a whole bunch of guys occupying the same area behind him. All you need to do as a defense is to bat the ball down, or at least to be in the way of a clear view of the ball. So: Was it a blunder for the Lions not to have at least one defender (heck, you don't really need linebackers on a play like that; why not have Megatron in on defense to try and catch or deflect a high, looping pass) in front of anyone the Packers would have in the end zone? Is the way they had people set up really the way they practice this?
Not that I'm complaining. :cool:

Patler
12-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Here's what strikes me as I watch the replay again...and again...and again this morning (somehow I don't get tired of it :mrgreen: ) : I would think teams must have some sort of Hail Mary drill they practice on defense. The Lions had nobody in front of Richard R. They've got a whole bunch of guys occupying the same area behind him. All you need to do as a defense is to bat the ball down, or at least to be in the way of a clear view of the ball. So: Was it a blunder for the Lions not to have at least one defender (heck, you don't really need linebackers on a play like that; why not have Megatron in on defense to try and catch or deflect a high, looping pass) in front of anyone the Packers would have in the end zone? Is the way they had people set up really the way they practice this?

Apparently the Lions were not anticipating a Hail Mary, thinking it was probably too far away for that. Several said they went with their personnel for defending the laterals type play like the previous one, thus, no Megatron.

Badgerinmaine
12-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Yup. I just read an article that said Jim Caldwell was expecting a lateral play and not the Hail Mary. Without the 15 yards on the facemask call, it would have had to have been, like the previous play was.

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Wrong personnel indeed for Detroit. I think they had 3 LBs in on that play and 5 DBs. One of the LBs is just hanging around midfield waiting for Rodgers to run apparently. There were only 6 Lions in the endzone with the 5 Packer WRs and 2 of those Lions were LBs with no chance to outjump anyone. Given it was only a 3 man rush I don't know where the other Lions player was.

Let's hear it for their DC being an idiot.

Badgerinmaine
12-04-2015, 08:20 AM
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/16E26D5E291284429024256745472_39f9f2e793a.1.5.7118 036815121158119.mp4?versionId=DrJmRJbI2SFUvkTJBA6l GLVMUonXuJE.

Badgerinmaine
12-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Wrong personnel indeed for Detroit.
Totally agreed--but I'm also talking about where they were playing in the end zone.

KYPack
12-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Did you see Janis on that fly pattern? He ran for like 10 yards with his arms in the air slowing down... I'd say he wasn't in there because he can't catch. My guess.

Oh yeah.

Was thinking the same thing.

This kid is supposed to be a burner and all that shit, but he can't even run a 9?

Janis' development is SLOW.

The kid knows a route tree of about 2 patterns.

The slant and the shallow cross (sometimes).

smuggler
12-04-2015, 08:41 AM
I don't think Janis is all that bright. Kind of a shame.

Patler
12-04-2015, 08:42 AM
I think the Lions were defending Adams, expecting him to be the guy going up for it. R. Rogers even said that he might get a minus for his performance on the play because it was his job to box out defenders so that Adams could go up for it (shades of Bostick!). I suspect Rodgers just got there late, so he drifted to the front of the pack, the realized he was in a great position to go up for it. Luckily, that put Abrederis, Adams and Jones in perfect positions to keep his back pretty clean for an almost uncontested catch.

Patler
12-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Oh yeah.

This kid is supposed to be a burner and all that shit, but he can't even run a 9?

I think Janis simply couldn't locate the ball on that one. I have no idea why Rodgers threw that one so high. It was probably well above where Janis was looking, so he slowed not knowing where it was. That was one of the stranger looking passes that I have seen Rodgers throw. Unlike a hail mary, where receivers turn back and face the throw and can pick up a skyball, Janis probably had to break stride just to twist his head and shoulders around to look that high.

I was worried about Rodgers arm when I saw that throw. I thought if he had to get that much air under it on that throw, something must be wrong with his arm. After watching him unleash a 70 yarder, I'm no longer worried about his arm.

Masthay doesn't get as much air under his punts as Rodgers did on the throw to Janis.

Fritz
12-04-2015, 08:54 AM
From where I sat, it looked really, really weird. Almost like it slipped.

pbmax
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Rodgers had an arm in his face and was getting bumped by the blocker on that Janis throw I believe. Probably not the most accurate deep throw he has made. Might have interfered with the follow through as well.

I thought Janis raised him arm (at least once) to get free of the defender grabbing, but why he kept it up is unclear. If he had run through that throw, its a TD. It was too late in the route (and too high a throw for a back shoulder).

RichRod did say his job was to box out for Adams and catch rebounds. But the throw was a little short of the mass of people. Adams had the best spot and the Lions were mostly behind him. I think RichRod realized he was clear of interference and had a clean line to the ball. If he had dropped it though, would have been another brutal TE screwup.

Deputy Nutz
12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
I am almost better now.

Fosco33
12-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Didn't arod say he thought it was supposed to be 5 wide and Adams wasn't supposed to motion either but play clock was moving?

Think about it - if Janis was in for rich rod - then maybe lions would've played more for Hail Mary over lateral play.

And why we're lions defending the sideline, only rushing 3 and not having megatron out there?

Add all that on top of extra play, etc and it really is amazing it worked at all.

red
12-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Didn't arod say he thought it was supposed to be 5 wide and Adams wasn't supposed to motion either but play clock was moving?

Think about it - if Janis was in for rich rod - then maybe lions would've played more for Hail Mary over lateral play.

And why we're lions defending the sideline, only rushing 3 and not having megatron out there?

Add all that on top of extra play, etc and it really is amazing it worked at all.

it was one of, if not THE longest throw in nfl history

no one on the lions team thought he would throw it to the endzone, they were expecting a lateral type thing like the previous play

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 10:32 AM
I am almost better now.

thank god

http://prod-cdn.thekrazycouponlady.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/gas-x.jpg

red
12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
holy shit, look at the throw from this angle

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nerd-alert--aaron-rodgers--hail-mary-throw-actually-traveled-almost-100-yards-161331817.html

mastay wishes he could do that

pb, can you figure out a way to get that video posted in here?

Deputy Nutz
12-04-2015, 11:02 AM
it was one of, if not THE longest throw in nfl history

no one on the lions team thought he would throw it to the endzone, they were expecting a lateral type thing like the previous play

Really?

red
12-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Really?

theres rumors of some of the old guys way back in the day throwing 80 and 90 yards in the air. but i believe the 68 yards the ball flew last night was the longest in at least the last 15 years

the longest throw i ever saw was the kordell stewart throw against michigan, that one was launched from the 26 or 27 and came down at about the 1. so 72 or 73 yards

Patler
12-04-2015, 11:14 AM
RichRod did say his job was to box out for Adams and catch rebounds. .... If he had dropped it though, would have been another brutal TE screwup.

Yup, we would be talking about GB having the dumbest TEs in the league, and/or that they need a new TE coach who can get the players to do as they are told to do.

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 11:17 AM
the longest throw i ever saw was the kordell stewart throw against michigan, that one was launched from the 26 or 27 and came down at about the 1. so 72 or 73 yards

thanks for reminding me. :(

Patler
12-04-2015, 11:19 AM
theres rumors of some of the old guys way back in the day throwing 80 and 90 yards in the air. but i believe the 68 yards the ball flew last night was the longest in at least the last 15 years

Ya, I want to say there was sombody like Joe Kapp or Bobby Douglas who in practice could throw from one goal line to the opposite endzone, but I don't recall any stories of anyone doing it in a game.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure if it was the longest throw in NFL history. I actually doubt that. However, it sounds like it might have been the longest successful Hail Mary in NFL history at 61 yards. It was the longest one, by far, in the last 15 years. The next longest is 50 yards in the last 15 years.

Wikipedia has a list of all of the completed Hail Marys in the NFL since 1975. The longest was Bartkowski for the Falcons against the Saints in 1978 at 57 yards, but that ball didn't go nearly as far as Rodgers ball. Bartkowski looked like he was only a few yards behind the line of scrimmage and the ball got to the goalline, so that was closer to 60 yards than 70 yards.

smuggler
12-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Rodgers put a lot of air under it. If he'd gone for sheer distance, I would think he could get five more yards out of it, at least, if it were more on a rope.

George Cumby
12-04-2015, 02:37 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nerd-alert--aaron-rodgers--hail-mary-throw-actually-traveled-almost-100-yards-161331817.html

The dude with the phone was rock steady on that. Props to him.

Harlan Huckleby
12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Watching the path of the ball, it seems impossible that a human could throw a football with such force.

KYPack
12-04-2015, 03:10 PM
That view really puts it in perspective.

Man, ARod put some serious stink on that toss.

Teamcheez1
12-04-2015, 03:20 PM
I have seen a lot of complaining from Lions fans that the Packers should have been penalized for a block in the back on the last play of the game. I have watched the replay over and over again, and there does look to be a slight shove from Sitton on Taylor, but I'm not sure it rises to the level of a penalty since it was sort of from the side. Also, when QB's are scrambling, O and D lineman are pushing and shoving in all directions, and it does not result in penalties unless it is an obvious clip, hands to the face, hold, etc.

Does anyone else see it differently?

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
From ESPN, probably the reason Janis wasn't in the game:

There was confusion because of the personnel on the field – receivers Jared Abbrederis, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb and James Jones plus Rodgers, the tight end – differed from the usual Hail Mary package.

red
12-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I read somewhere today, or heard it on nfln, that there might have been confusion from both teams about if they were allowed to sub on the untimed down
That was one of the reasons giving for Calvin not being on the field, while slow LBers were

Deputy Nutz
12-04-2015, 04:41 PM
The longest throw I ever remember seeing was Partial's limp arm delivery in the driveway of GbMichelle. It was so amazing Skinbasket had to sit down on the stoop and smoke a cigarette. Tarlam cheered in way you would cheer a special needs kid rolling one of those cheap plastic bowling balls and knocking down two pins.

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 05:04 PM
The longest throw I ever remember seeing was Partial's limp arm delivery in the driveway of GbMichelle. It was so amazing Skinbasket had to sit down on the stoop and smoke a cigarette. Tarlam cheered in way you would cheer a special needs kid rolling one of those cheap plastic bowling balls and knocking down two pins.

what happened to her. She moved to Carolina or somewhere and then never came back here. It's not like they don't have internet there. :)

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2015, 05:08 PM
what happened to her. She moved to Carolina or somewhere and then never came back here. It's not like they don't have internet there. :)

Probably just watches NASCAR, cock fighting, or some other stupid Southern redneck sport only.

Rastak
12-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if it was the longest throw in NFL history. I actually doubt that. However, it sounds like it might have been the longest successful Hail Mary in NFL history at 61 yards. It was the longest one, by far, in the last 15 years. The next longest is 50 yards in the last 15 years.

Wikipedia has a list of all of the completed Hail Marys in the NFL since 1975. The longest was Bartkowski for the Falcons against the Saints in 1978 at 57 yards, but that ball didn't go nearly as far as Rodgers ball. Bartkowski looked like he was only a few yards behind the line of scrimmage and the ball got to the goalline, so that was closer to 60 yards than 70 yards.

That was executed perfectly. Bridgewater would have had to construct a catapult to get it that far.

Now the Lions may have fucked up and the facemask may have been a little questionable but there was nothing questionable about that throw.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Uncle Rico

Maxie the Taxi
12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
I saw Arnie Herber throw a 90 yard pass to Don Hutson on the fly. It was in practice though.

Freak Out
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
That was executed perfectly. Bridgewater would have had to construct a catapult to get it that far.

Now the Lions may have fucked up and the facemask may have been a little questionable but there was nothing questionable about that throw.

Ha ha! Nice. Nothing like ancient siege technology to assist in the passing game.

gbgary
12-04-2015, 07:09 PM

yup. he's just not good enough. had a guy beat, Rodgers throws it to him, he slows down and the ball sails over his head. smh

denverYooper
12-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Yup, we would be talking about GB having the dumbest TEs in the league, and/or that they need a new TE coach who can get the players to do as they are told to do.

Nah. We wouldn't even know that if he didn't make the wonderfully self-deprecating complement after one of the most incredible plays of the last 10 years. It would have just looked like a failed Hail Mary attempt and that would be that. They went for the 1 in a million shot and blew it. In that moment of planned chaos, whoever can make the play makes the play and it's designed to give the losing team one last shot at victory. In this case, his instinct worked out. Interestingly, Rodgers and Rodgers were practicing "moon balls" before the game too.

Bostick's flub was in a spot where they wanted to minimize chaos in order to disallow an opponent from gaining the advantage.

denverYooper
12-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Uncle Rico

I could throw a football over them mountains.

pbmax
12-04-2015, 10:03 PM

https://vimeo.com/147918637

pbmax
12-04-2015, 10:09 PM
It was the longest game winning throw on record. As in, went into the end zone for a TD. Earl Morrall threw a game winner for the Lions of all people to win a game in 1960 (Dec 4 apparently) that was a 65 yard scoring play, but the throw was about thirty yards downfield and the receiver ran it the rest of the way.

There also have been 6-60+ scoring throws since 2005. Rodgers has two, Big Ben has two, Cam Newton and Favre have one each.

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 11:02 PM
It was the longest game winning throw on record. As in, went into the end zone for a TD. Earl Morrall threw a game winner for the Lions of all people to win a game in 1960 (Dec 4 apparently) that was a 65 yard scoring play, but the throw was about thirty yards downfield and the receiver ran it the rest of the way.

There also have been 6-60+ scoring throws since 2005. Rodgers has two, Big Ben has two, Cam Newton and Favre have one each.

That Favre one must be to Jennings at Denver in 2007, right? (the one to Jones earlier in the game was pretty long too). Or are you exclusively talking about throws into the end zone??

Rastak
12-04-2015, 11:35 PM
That Favre one must be to Jennings at Denver in 2007, right? (the one to Jones earlier in the game was pretty long too). Or are you exclusively talking about throws into the end zone??

Favre to Greg Lewis on the final play of a Vikings game was a fucking rocket with little arc right on the nuts in the back of the endzone. Not sure how long that was but it sure as hell wasn't short.

mraynrand
12-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Favre to Greg Lewis on the final play of a Vikings game was a fucking rocket with little arc right on the nuts in the back of the endzone. Not sure how long that was but it sure as hell wasn't short.

I think that was 45 yards out

Bossman641
12-05-2015, 12:04 AM
I don't think Janis is all that bright. Kind of a shame.

My buddy lives in GB and claims Janis' wife/gf is pretty hot. Obviously we need a Rat to head up there and keep her occupied so Janis can study up.

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2015, 02:43 AM

Vikings had possession from San Fran's 32 yard line, Favre threw it 48 yards in the air. They had that on NFL.com #1 for the best Hail Marys of all-time, but I don't think of that one as a Hail Mary. Not particular long and thrown on a rope. Favre threw it from the 38. Lewis caught at the back of the end-zone. The list was weird. Golden Tate's Fail Mary was #3. They had Rodgers from last night at #5. Bratkowski to Billy White Shoes Johnson should have been #1. Kramer to Ahmad and Staubauch to Pearson were also on the list.

Carolina_Packer
12-05-2015, 08:53 AM

We have special 'puters that run off of propane and the interwebs are connected by fishin' lines.

woodbuck27
12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Judging it by overall success rate, does anyone really ever have the right personnel on the field for a Hail Mary play? ;-)

You certainly need you BEST players available and practised for such a play. It's after all the NFL.....not some Saturday afternoon adult football program.

red
12-05-2015, 09:29 AM
My buddy lives in GB and claims Janis' wife/gf is pretty hot. Obviously we need a Rat to head up there and keep her occupied so Janis can study up.

i'm on this

channtheman
12-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Vikings had possession from San Fran's 32 yard line, Favre threw it 48 yards in the air. They had that on NFL.com #1 for the best Hail Marys of all-time, but I don't think of that one as a Hail Mary. Not particular long and thrown on a rope. Favre threw it from the 38. Lewis caught at the back of the end-zone. The list was weird. Golden Tate's Fail Mary was #3. They had Rodgers from last night at #5. Bratkowski to Billy White Shoes Johnson should have been #1. Kramer to Ahmad and Staubauch to Pearson were also on the list.

I agree with you that Favre to Lewis is not at all a Hail Mary. Favre was clearly throwing to one guy. Isn't the definition that you just throw it up and pray or say a few "Hail Mary's?"

smuggler
12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Yeah, Favre's wasn't a Hail Mary by the standard operating definition. Did that play end at 0:00, or were there a few seconds left?

Rastak
12-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah, Favre's wasn't a Hail Mary by the standard operating definition. Did that play end at 0:00, or were there a few seconds left?

Might have been a kickoff after the play. I agree it was not a traditional Hail Mary.

Rastak
12-05-2015, 05:35 PM
For a traditional one I'd go back to my very first apartment. I had moved in 3 months or so earlier, age 17. Completely lost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwWdA-o04sg

woodbuck27
12-05-2015, 06:32 PM

The Detroit Lions need to hire you.

woodbuck27
12-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Rastak:

That Hail Mary A. Rodgers >>>> R. Rodgers in Packerrats lore might forrever know of as:

The Throw.

gbgary
12-06-2015, 11:01 AM

yup...i remember that one. was a miracle that he got both feet down if i remember correctly.

gbgary
12-06-2015, 11:20 AM
longest last-play hail-mary for-a-win in nfl history. lots of qualifiers there.

Bretsky
12-06-2015, 03:04 PM
GM Michelle, fwiw, is down south but still a die hard Green n Gold Supporter

Smidgeon
12-06-2015, 04:25 PM
longest last-play hail-mary for-a-win in nfl history. lots of qualifiers there.

Most records have multiple qualifiers. Crosby's most FGs without a miss from 40 yards or more in an afternoon game when the kicker scores more than the rest of the offense in a November game was one of the most ridiculous string of qualifiers.

smuggler
12-06-2015, 08:06 PM
That is a lot of qualifiers. Excessive, too, since it tied a record for most 40+ yarders in a game.

wootah
12-07-2015, 01:58 AM
i'm on this

https://www.instagram.com/alyssajanis/

Fritz
12-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Prior to the Hail Mary, I was in the stands thinking that there were two plays that stood out in what looked like it would be a loss. One was a Davante Adams dropped pass on a third and long after the Packers had drawn to within 20-14 and had gotten the ball back from the Lions. You could just see the air leaking out of the balloon right there, and you could feel Rodgers's anger all the way up into the stands. The second play was the third and twelve the Lions converted with just over two minutes left. There was no pass rush, possibly because Capers expected a screen, but Stafford had all day to throw and it showed that the defense was not at a championship level.

The hail mary could be the play that changes the season for this team. But if they don't come out firing on Sunday, then nothing will help. This is the do or die moment - there's no more room for fumbling around. They either get right now, or they go one-and-out again, and that's if they get in.

It'll be interesting to see if they can grab this thing by the throat. They've been given a gift from the gods in that hail mary - it's the kind of play that can turn a season. But if they don't, then I think it means this team does not have the mental toughness. I don't think it's just a talent problem. I think it's a team attitude problem. They need to be in it together now.

We shall see.
su

mraynrand
12-07-2015, 08:40 AM
^^^^ Stubby should bring you in for the pre game speech

pbmax
12-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Wives and girlfriends of the players have a TV show?

I am stunned JSO and GBPG don't cover it looking for tips.

Pugger
12-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Apparently the Lions were not anticipating a Hail Mary, thinking it was probably too far away for that. Several said they went with their personnel for defending the laterals type play like the previous one, thus, no Megatron.

Then this is a major screw up by the loins. We don't have Teddy Bridgewater under center...

Pugger
12-07-2015, 03:50 PM
I read somewhere today, or heard it on nfln, that there might have been confusion from both teams about if they were allowed to sub on the untimed down
That was one of the reasons giving for Calvin not being on the field, while slow LBers were

Could/should the loins had called a TO before the play?

pbmax
12-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Best video of the throw I have seen.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rewind-Packers-27-Lions-23/eb39c59f-5715-48a2-a46a-cc029fc782f9

All the NFL Films angles:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Aaron-Rodgers-answers-prayer-with-Hail-Mary/716561ce-305b-4e8b-9859-d037311a46eb?campaign=sf16572629

Deputy Nutz
12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
GM Michelle, fwiw, is down south but still a die hard Green n Gold Supporter

.i don't think she appreciated our(Skinbasket, nutz) flavor. After Skinbasket commented on her sick dog we didn't see her again.

That trip was a lot of fun

Zool
12-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Then this is a major screw up by the loins. We don't have Teddy Bridgewater under center...

Best description I read was that neither team was sure what they could do for substitutions based on the fact that it was an extra play. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

Patler
12-08-2015, 11:51 AM
If the Packers did not have their "Hail Mary" group on the field (and they have admitted that they did not) why would the Lions put in their typical group for defending it? Do you really want Calvin Johnson on the field defensively if the Packers are running a lateral play like the previous one? Even if you THINK Rodgers can throw it 70 yards, wouldn't you respond to what the Packers put out there, and in this case have tacklers on the field?

I can't blame the Lions for who they put out there.

Fritz
12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Then you're not a Lions fan. They are having no problem lambasting the defensive alignment on what Michael Cohen magically described as a "parabolic hoist."

mraynrand
12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
... what Michael Cohen magically described as a "parabolic hoist."

that's very hyperbolic.

Patler
12-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Did you see Janis on that fly pattern? He ran for like 10 yards with his arms in the air slowing down... I'd say he wasn't in there because he can't catch. My guess.Oh yeah.
The slant and the shallow cross (sometimes).I think Janis simply couldn't locate the ball on that one. I have no idea why Rodgers threw that one so high. It was probably well above where Janis was looking, so he slowed not knowing where it was. That was one of the stranger looking passes that I have seen Rodgers throw. Unlike a hail mary, where receivers turn back and face the throw and can pick up a skyball, Janis probably had to break stride just to twist his head and shoulders around to look that high.

The reason Janis looked so awkward on the deep pass was just as I suspected, he couldn't locate the ball because it was thrown so high:

"It was just me, I couldn't see the ball," Janis said. "I looked up and the trajectory of the ball was super high and I just didn't see it. I had the guy beat and I was running and I looked back for the ball and didn't see it and I slowed up a little bit.

"Then I realized he threw it to me. By the time I realized where the ball was, it was too late."

Maxie the Taxi
12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
You realize, of course, Janis just gave Arod another reason not to trust him or throw to him.:-|

MadScientist
12-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Rodgers practiced the moon balls with R.Rodgers. It seems Janis needed some of those pre-game as well.

Fritz
12-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd8d84VUKdEvVuGrzW5h_mQpP8XJenG l6ozmT4nYS4YsiuBvIA

Jeff Janis's route tree.

pbmax
12-09-2015, 09:20 AM
You realize, of course, Janis just gave Arod another reason not to trust him or throw to him.:-|

Yeah, but unlike some other issues, that should be eminently correctable and easily demonstrated in practice. In an odd way, this is what progress will look like.

There will be easier throws to him.

Patler
12-09-2015, 10:30 AM

I disagree. That throw, at that distance, was amazingly odd. My comment when he threw it was that if he needed to get that much air under it, his arm must really be hurting. With the throw at the end of the game, I think Rodgers proved that he just threw a very odd ball to Janis. After watching it many times (I recorded the game) I also think if Janis had maintained stride, the ball would have been under thrown, because they didn't miss by that much, even with the herky jerky roundabout path that Janis took to it.

I'm not sure why any receiver would have looked that high for the ball in that situation. It was a real moon ball.

Maybe Janis doesn't "trust" Rodgers, and that is why he slowed? Janis has been open on three deep plays that I can recall that were underthrown. One resulted in the PI call, one Janis stopped, and broke up a possible interception. If Rodgers continually underthrows him in practice, it would be natural for Janis to slow.

Just maybe Rodgers has yet to dial in Janis's speed on those routes.

pbmax
12-09-2015, 11:08 AM
^ I still think he was bothered by pressure on that play. He launched it high and perhaps early to avoid entanglements.

pbmax
12-09-2015, 11:17 AM
At least they haven't lost their sense of humor. I guess. The Hail Mary from the receivers point of view: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/25759/clad-in-ugly-sweaters-packers-receivers-describe-beautiful-hail-mary-td

Its a seriously funny read. Basically nothing about the last three plays worked out as planned.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVy9ZSXWEAA_ODa.jpg:large

Rutnstrut
12-09-2015, 01:20 PM
That was a pretty funny article from the WR's perspectives.