PDA

View Full Version : The reason Lacy was benched and Harris fired

Patler
12-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Per JSO, Lacy and Alonzo Harris missed curfew Wednesday night. This would explain the benching of Lacy and firing of Harris Thursday morning.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/john-crocketts-first-outing-gives-packers-a-running-back-controversy-b99628244z1-360655881.html

Crockett signed his contract three hours before the game

Patler
12-05-2015, 03:57 AM
Sorry, I started this thread before reading others in which this was already discussed.

George Cumby
12-05-2015, 08:07 AM
They were out late playing video games.

denverYooper
12-05-2015, 08:32 AM
They were out late playing video games.

Funny, but I had a theory that Lacy was one of the guys spending too much time with the video games. After that, he had 2 strong games (and a fumble) and when they asked him about it he made a comment about getting right with the Lord. I thought maybe it was shown to him (by teammates, coaches) to be an addiction of sorts.

Of course, I get the feeling he might like the girly shows too.

Whatever the reasons for the curfew violation may be, I don't get the sense that he's out drinking or doing drugs. He's got kind of a kid-like air about him despite the fact that he's pushing 250 lbs.I think his vices are fairly milquetoast but he is running afoul of basic study and life habits that children often do. He's getting punished because they know that with focus and preparation, he can be dominant again and they really need him to perform to be successful this season.

George Cumby
12-05-2015, 08:41 AM
When he was drafted, a scout described him as "different".

During last years Seattle post mortem, I noted that despite his physical running style, he seems soft. He doesn't strike me as mentally tough. His lack of willingness to stick it through a few days of dieting to improve his game reflects a lack of discipline when there are huge financial benefits to being disciplined.

I had also read that he lacks a passion for the game, which we may be seeing evidence of.

I think there is a real head space issue here. He needs to commit, get his head right and get unfucked...

woodbuck27
12-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Funny, but I had a theory that Lacy was one of the guys spending too much time with the video games. After that, he had 2 strong games (and a fumble) and when they asked him about it he made a comment about getting right with the Lord. I thought maybe it was shown to him (by teammates, coaches) to be an addiction of sorts.

Of course, I get the feeling he might like the girly shows too.

Whatever the reasons for the curfew violation may be, I don't get the sense that he's out drinking or doing drugs. He's got kind of a kid-like air about him despite the fact that he's pushing 250 lbs.I think his vices are fairly milquetoast but he is running afoul of basic study and life habits that children often do. He's getting punished because they know that with focus and preparation, he can be dominant again and they really need him to perform to be successful this season.

Repped. Nice post Packer fan.

GO PACK GO !

red
12-05-2015, 10:01 AM
lacy kind of strikes me as a ricky williams type guy who could just say "fuck it" and retire at any moment

maybe its the hair

Patler
12-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Things need to turn around for Lacy in a dramatic way. People have always questioned his commitment to conditioning. If he demonstrates a lack of commitment to the team structure, his career will be brief.

...and Alonzo Harris? What the heck was he thinking? If you are the never used, often inactive 3rd string running back on a team that is struggling, you are a prime target to be made an example of.

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I started this thread before reading others in which this was already discussed.

Easy for that to get missed by an old fogie, whole lot of chatter going on.

Fritz
12-05-2015, 12:43 PM
The JSO article that mentioned a RB controversy was a little over the top, though. Lacy just gained 100+ yards the two previous games.

He needs his head screwed on right, but there's a reason Harris got cut while Lacy was merely benched.

Rastak
12-05-2015, 05:48 PM

You have a special dispensation from king Madtown to create whatever thread you want. It does point out the captain obvious point of how players are treated differently. Will always be that way, but kind of funny they did the same thing on the same day and the response was wildly different.

denverYooper
12-05-2015, 06:15 PM
The JSO article that mentioned a RB controversy was a little over the top, though. Lacy just gained 100+ yards the two previous games.

He needs his head screwed on right, but there's a reason Harris got cut while Lacy was merely benched.

I wonder if they saw Harris as a bad influence on Lacy.

Rastak
12-05-2015, 06:28 PM
I wonder if they saw Harris as a bad influence on Lacy.

Or one was a high draft pick and one was not.

Patler
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
You have a special dispensation from king Madtown to create whatever thread you want. It does point out the captain obvious point of how players are treated differently. Will always be that way, but kind of funny they did the same thing on the same day and the response was wildly different.

That was my first thought. If they did do the same thing, punishments should be the same; unless Harris had previous offenses.

RashanGary
12-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Lacy is the more valuable piece. You want him motivated and driven. My read on him is he's a laid back guy. He's not all aggressive and driven. But he has a big heart and probably really values all of his friends and family. Even though he doesn't care about all of the uptight rules and structure, he does care about his friend. This shows him that it he doesn't start pulling with the team, he'll be hurting his friends. It could be a way to motivate a laid back guy who's drive is that he values the people in his life.

Joemailman
12-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Maybe Lacy was out selling apparel Wednesday night. I'll bet he's selling a ton of these right now. http://www.eddielacyrb.com/collections/all-products/t-shirts?utm_campaign=ELday1deal120615&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=promo

denverYooper
12-06-2015, 08:44 AM

That's the obvious line of reasoning. Harris must have been on the bubble and of little utility anyway.

Still, cutting a guy for a curfew violation is pretty extreme when they've given other guys second chances (Guion, Quarless, Jones) for more serious transgressions.

As a fan, I'm just working on a more interesting narrative that includes Lacy seeing a resurgence at the end of the season. The removal of a "negative" influence on Lacy is a convenient story point along the path of that narrative.

Deputy Nutz
12-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Funny how Lacy still got a few carries. Imagine if he would have broken off a couple of solid runs. My bet you wouldn't have heard too much about his late night. They benched him because he wasn't producing.

Joemailman
12-06-2015, 08:51 AM
As for Harris being cut, maybe they just decided Crockett wanted it more, and it was time to give him a chance. As for Lacy, they know what he can do and hope he can get back to the player he was. Unless they decide that Lacy is having a detrimental effect on others, it makes sense that they would keep him. That's maybe not fair, but sensible.

denverYooper
12-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Michael Rodney ‏@PackersNotes 7m7 minutes ago
@RapSheet reports Packers chose not to re-sign Alonzo Harris to PS because they don't want any "outside influences on buddy Eddie Lacy."

pbmax
12-06-2015, 09:53 AM
As for Harris being cut, maybe they just decided Crockett wanted it more, and it was time to give him a chance. As for Lacy, they know what he can do and hope he can get back to the player he was. Unless they decide that Lacy is having a detrimental effect on others, it makes sense that they would keep him. That's maybe not fair, but sensible.

It was clear from McCarthy talking post game that he clearly loved Crockett's attitude and effort in practice. M3 was glowing talking about the kid.

So Harris hit the trifecta of not being as impressive as your replacement, causing trouble with your star and violating a team rule.

That will usually get you cut. See Charles Jordan.

The only two red buttons he did touch were hitting a coach or dating the coach's daughter.

Bretsky
12-06-2015, 03:07 PM
what happened with Charles Jordan ? Just a bag guy ??

pbmax
12-06-2015, 04:46 PM
what happened with Charles Jordan ? Just a bag guy ??

When Antonio Freeman crashed his car, Jordan kept trying to get in the drivers seat before the police arrived. :)

red
12-06-2015, 06:04 PM
looks like harris was a bad influence on lacy, thats why he's gone

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_packers_chose_not_to_sign_alonzo_harris_so_ he_wont_influence_eddie_lacy/s1_127_20003959

Freak Out
12-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Harris is with the Chickens now right?

denverYooper
12-06-2015, 08:30 PM
DuJuan Harris.

Infamous
12-07-2015, 01:34 AM
lacy kind of strikes me as a ricky williams type guy who could just say "fuck it" and retire at any moment

maybe its the hair

Racial profiling red?

Fritz
12-07-2015, 06:44 AM
looks like harris was a bad influence on lacy, thats why he's gone

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_packers_chose_not_to_sign_alonzo_harris_so_ he_wont_influence_eddie_lacy/s1_127_20003959

Wasn't there a JSO profile on Alonzo Harris right around the final cutdown? Something about him thinking he got cut, crying, then finding out he made the team and crying and talking about how huge this was, what a dream it was? If I remember correctly, it was painted as an article about the marginal NFL guys and how really, truly important and big it is to make an NFL team.

And now he's cut because he's a bad influence? Doh!

I don't know what's going on with Lacy, but he did have two one-hundred yard games before his clunker against Detroit. I wonder if he can get his head out of his ass.

One of the ways you sometimes can tell that a team is less than in thrall with a guy is when the teammates go out of their way to praise the backup. This happened earlier this season with Starks - he got heaps of praise from coaches and players for being the consummate pro, which now in retrospect makes me wonder if that meant Lacy has been dilatory all along. His weight would seem to suggest that.

mraynrand
12-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Wasn't there a JSO profile on Alonzo Harris right around the final cutdown? Something about him thinking he got cut, crying, then finding out he made the team and crying and talking about how huge this was, what a dream it was? If I remember correctly, it was painted as an article about the marginal NFL guys and how really, truly important and big it is to make an NFL team.

There is no room for tears when you are playing Call of Duty.

pbmax
12-07-2015, 06:53 AM

And now he's cut because he's a bad influence? Doh!

I don't know what's going on with Lacy, but he did have two one-hundred yard games before his clunker against Detroit. I wonder if he can get his head out of his ass.

One of the ways you sometimes can tell that a team is less than in thrall with a guy is when the teammates go out of their way to praise the backup. This happened earlier this season with Starks - he got heaps of praise from coaches and players for being the consummate pro, which now in retrospect makes me wonder if that meant Lacy has been dilatory all along. His weight would seem to suggest that.

It was Michael Cohen's big splash, no longer pinned to the top of this Twitter account (might be past its date): http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/cut-day-stressful-for-alonzo-harris-family-b99571475z1-325218141.html

Freak Out
12-07-2015, 09:50 AM
DuJuan Harris.

Gotcha.

mraynrand
12-07-2015, 11:01 AM
The injury, which required Harris to wear a club on his dominant, ball-carrying hand, sent him spiraling into a funk. "It was just the end of the world," said Harris, who burst into tears when he called his mother and sisters to share the results of the X-rays. His time with the Packers, he believed, had expired.

There's no crying in football!!!

esoxx
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
There's no crying in football!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOweupNOBVU

mraynrand
12-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Stop crying!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/71/48/7f/71487fec849e36d3edfa8c19de794633.jpg

Infamous
12-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Thats messed up..

Dont bash Lord Favre for crying tears of blood for those who knew not what they were doing to him and Packer Nation..GBs savior!!!

KYPack
12-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Thats messed up..

Dont bash Lord Favre for crying tears of blood for those who knew not what they were doing to him and Packer Nation..GBs savior!!!

So that would be a "Bring Black Favre" comment, er what?

MadtownPacker
12-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Racial profiling red?
Nah, just saying you all look the same.

For the record I have always imagined you having braids. Looking like MC Eiht :lol:

MadtownPacker
12-08-2015, 11:18 PM
So that would be a "Bring Black Favre" comment, er what?
Fucking excellent!!!

KYPack
12-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Got to mess with Mobb, MTP.

pbmax
12-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Ouch. Missed curfew for what, video games, the hotel bar? Whirlpool?

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 16m16 minutes ago
#Packers RB Eddie Lacy on missing curfew: "I was just downstairs and then I lost track of time."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 14m14 minutes ago
Lacy on his talk with McCarthy in Detroit: "We both got things out in that conversation, and we're both moving forward from that incident."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 9m9 minutes ago
More Lacy: "Alonzo became close with me and Starks and we hung out a lot. So to see that happen, you know, definitely it was devastating."