PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Season So Far: Freeman Article

pbmax
12-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Mike Freeman article takes a LOT of shots at the wide receivers trying to replace Nelson. Not much time on their injuries.

Doesn't spend much time considering the wisdom of trying to get 1st and 2nd year players to catch up that fast. Though Rodgers did say they have returned to the basics during preparation.

I do like the Brady theory of offensive talent.

Its almost too tilted in perspective until they get to the Defensive coaches talking about the Packer WRs. Called them bottom 5 of League and that Freeman himself could cover Davante Adams one on one. Essentially making the point that tight man to man and Cover 0 is the greatest sign of disrespect to a group of WR imaginable.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2590721-how-aaron-rodgers-saved-the-packers

mraynrand
12-11-2015, 10:31 AM
The truth is, if it wasn't for him, this franchise would be the Cleveland Browns right now. None of this is an excuse for Rodgers. It is a simple fact.

That's when I stopped reading

pbmax
12-11-2015, 10:40 AM
That's when I stopped reading

Yeah, that season's results might be Browns like, but the franchise is not. But I would keep reading, the commentary on what the Packers O is facing is pretty good later.

Patler
12-11-2015, 11:39 AM
With Nelson, there were plenty of articles saying that as a group the GB receivers were among the best in the league. Now, without Nelson, we are told they are among the 5 worst. Nelson is good, but he alone is not the difference between the group being among the best and among the worst.

The only receiver who has not had significant injuries reported about him is Jeff Janis. Everyone on the O-line has been on the injury report, three have missed games and a fourth has been knocked out of a game. Lacy has been hurt and lost. Their only experienced TE has missed half the season. It hasn't been a horrific injury situation, but it has been constant, and constantly significant. Many years they have fought through these types of situations quite well, this year they have struggled.

mraynrand
12-11-2015, 12:01 PM
"He's better than I ever was," Favre said. "I think he's quietly one of the best leaders in this game. I don't know if people understand that."

mraynrand
12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
The Brady effect is more than just relying on the great QB - the great QB creates the problem in a way, because your team never tanks a season, so you never get the top picks. And when TT had them, he's spent/wasted) them on defense (Hawk, Harrell Raji). Nelson is the highest O pick at a skill position after Rodgers (lower than Bulaga if you want to count that).

Deputy Nutz
12-11-2015, 12:27 PM
"He's better than I ever was," Favre said. "I think he's quietly one of the best leaders in this game. I don't know if people understand that."

I am very upset with Brett after this comment, we haven't spoken since

Deputy Nutz
12-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Rodger's teammates hate him.

mraynrand
12-11-2015, 12:29 PM

He doesn't miss you

Patler
12-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Rodger who?

Deputy Nutz
12-11-2015, 01:04 PM
He doesn't miss you

Well, he has been busy being a grandpa and completing his first triathlon. This is our cooling off period

Deputy Nutz
12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;862458]Rodger who?[/QUOTE

Come on Patler, don't be petty

Patler
12-11-2015, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;862458]Rodger who?[/QUOTE

I can't always tell when you are being serious, and when you are being facetious. I thought perhaps you were being facetious, so I responded in kind.

Were you being serious in stating that AR's teammates hate him?
If you were, do they hate him or tire of him?

smuggler
12-11-2015, 01:13 PM

Psssssh.

Joemailman
12-11-2015, 06:03 PM
nm

Joemailman
12-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Just the ones mailing it in.

"Aaron did what he needed to do," one offensive player said. "There were guys that needed to study more. The preparation of some guys had slipped since the start of the year. A lot of us were glad he did it."

Even when Rodgers was asked about how preparation needed to be better after Collinsworth's comments, he handled it in a way that didn't bother his teammates. As one told me, "We needed a kick in the ass. He gave us one."

KYPack
12-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Rodgers teammates hate Nutz?

Understandable.

pbmax
12-12-2015, 06:06 PM
With Nelson, there were plenty of articles saying that as a group the GB receivers were among the best in the league. Now, without Nelson, we are told they are among the 5 worst. Nelson is good, but he alone is not the difference between the group being among the best and among the worst.

I agree the article is overstating the bottom 5 thing.

But I also think the Packers were NOT the top 5 last year with health people. Healthy Nelson and Cobb are probably be Top 5 starters. But Adams, Abby and Janis don't make the unit Top 5.

Maybe Top 10 to Bottom 10 is the spread without Nelson and a banged up Adams.

Infamous
12-12-2015, 08:57 PM

you think Brett really feels that way?

Bretsky
12-12-2015, 09:02 PM
We are not bottom 5

But Adams has sucked this year; can't we all dream about a re draft with Allen Robinson as the pick ?

From the time I started watching Montgomery I liked his route running more. Adams may be ok some day but right now incredible disappointment

Captain Obvious will also keep reminding us we need a TE who demands something other than man to man LB coverage

mraynrand
12-13-2015, 12:59 AM
you think Brett really feels that way?

Is he feeling that way too, or am I just, am I just a fool?

Maxie the Taxi
12-13-2015, 05:20 AM
I finally read the Freeman article. I agree with virtually the whole thing, especially about the receivers. What Freeman says and what he says he was told by opposing scouts and coaches is what a lot of us have been saying all year right here. I think it's a case of the truth hurts. I bleed Green and Gold. I don't like hearing the truth, but it is the truth. You can whitewash it all you want with inside football talk about system and injuries slowing guys down, but the truth is our WR corps was overestimated early on and isn't very good right now.

Freeman's explanation of the early success our WR's enjoyed when we went 6 and 0, vs their failures later on makes sense and is born out by the facts he presents. When Greg Jennings left and Jordy went down, we were left with a whole squad of possession receivers, which means they're slow and lack the talent to consistently make big plays. A possession receiver is supposed to be a guy who runs crisp routes and makes tough catches in tight quarters (even that talent is not consistent this year), but a possession receiver is not a dynamic playmaker in the mold of Jennings or Nelson.

Don't get me wrong. Every team needs possession receivers like Cobb who can make those key first down receptions. And, when you've got a Jennings or a Nelson, guys like Cobb shine over and above their pay grade because the defense is elsewhere occupied. But when you need a huge play from a WR to beat the defense or to beat the other team's number one cover guy and get that winning TD, you look to a Jennings or a Nelson, not a Cobb.

So it is what it is and it shouldn't be surprising. We draft possession receivers. Why? Because, like Freeman and others have said, we're a victim of our own success. We shun free agency and build through the draft, but our draft position is low because of our success. So, like this year, the draft is heavy in WR playmakers but we have to replace CB's lost to free agency, so the best we can do is Monty, who's a slow, possession receiver. And we're forced to live with DickRod, who's a slow possession receiver. And Adams, who's a slow possession receiver.

But we've got Arod to save the day! And who thinks that thought wasn't going through TT's mind during this year's draft.

The other good news besides the fact that we've got Arod is that we've got a great organization and a headcoach and general manager that can make the best out of our situation. TT is lucky and good. He picks up playmakers like Jennings, Nelson and the Claymaker who fly under the mainstream NFL radar. I think Randall and Clinton-Dix are in that lucky and good category. (Of course, when TT misses or is unlucky -- Worthy, Sherrod, Harrell, Adams? -- the consequences are doubly impactful.)

But TT is also pure lucky too. Imagine if we didn't have Arod. Imagine where we'd be if Arod hadn't fallen to number 24 in 2005!

[End of rant.:-)]

Joemailman
12-13-2015, 06:52 AM
It's a good article. A couple of exaggerations, but not far off. 4 years ago Randall Cobb was the Packers #5 WR. He's now #1. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and James Jones have been replaced by Devante Adams, Jared Abbrederis, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, and a lesser James Jones. Jermichael Finley and Andrew Quarless have been replaced by Richard Rodgers and Justin Perillo. Some of this may be somewhat temporary. Jordy will be back, Adams may yet become what they thought he would be, and Montgomery looked pretty solid before his injury. But right now this is a bad group of receivers. Arod may have been somewhat overrated when he had the best group of receivers in football. But he may be underrated right now. The Packers need to find a playmaker at WR again. And drafting late isn't an excuse. Jody was drafted #36. Jennings #52. Finley #91.

Pugger
12-13-2015, 08:18 AM
QBs need decent receivers to excel. It is no coincidence Brady has looked pedestrian without Gronk znd Edelman lately. Cobb is a great slot WR but not so hot as a #1. Adams has been hobbled most of the year, Janis is still trying to figure out how to play at this level, Abby has missed a lot of games and practices this year, Jones is fading, RRod is slow, Quarless has not returned and Ty has a bum ankle and has been sidelined for over a month. It will help immensely if Lacy can return to form and take some pressure off of ARod and the passing game later today.

pbmax
12-13-2015, 09:07 AM
I don't think Adams is a possession receiver. Both because his hands aren't that good and because he has the size to beat any coverage you stick on him. He is like a cross between Nelson and Jones.

Monty IS a possession receiver (not terribly fast top end) but has tremendous quickness and route breaks. When healthy, he will be more like a cross between Golden Tate and a Patriots possession guy. He is the best kind of possession guy; one who can get separation. Imagine Monty in the backfield spot running a screen behind Tretter. Good night Irene.

But neither guy has delivered much in six weeks.

Cobb is not good at getting open right away even out of the slot. And Jones has the same limitations he had before, only more so.

If the WRs are healthy the offense would be rounding into shape as terrifying. Just need time. But time is running short.

mraynrand
12-13-2015, 09:09 AM
And drafting late isn't an excuse. Jody was drafted #36. Jennings #52. Finley #91.

Sure, but you actually have to draft 'em. Jordy was the highest O pick in TT's run, except Rodgers and Bulaga. TT has not drafted a first round receiver. That's amazing. What would Matt Millen say?

red
12-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Sure, but you actually have to draft 'em. Jordy was the highest O pick in TT's run, except Rodgers and Bulaga. TT has not drafted a first round receiver. That's amazing. What would Matt Millen say?

and sherrod, don't forget the gem that was sherrod

mraynrand
12-13-2015, 09:28 AM
and sherrod, don't forget the gem that was sherrod

good lord

KYPack
12-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Red, C'mon man!

That truth was a low blow.

pbmax
12-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Sherrod. Perry.

At least we have hope with Jones.

Fritz
12-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Sherrod. Perry.

At least we have hope with Jones.

New TT rule: Unless you trade up in the first round, you MUST trade out of the first round.

Sherry, Perry, Harrell, Buttlaga.

Joemailman
12-13-2015, 10:26 AM
From 2006-2011, TT drafted Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and Randall Cobb in Rounds 2-3. Since then he's drafted Davante Adams, Richard Rogers and Ty Montgomery in those rounds. Maybe time to add some weapons in the early rounds and some O-Linemen in the middle rounds.

denverYooper
12-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Ty Montgomery will be a stud next year.

It's most likely too late this year, though he could give the offense a needed boost heading into the playoffs.

Infamous
12-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Is he feeling that way too, or am I just, am I just a fool?

I just find it hard to believe Brett really thinks AR is better; he may have just said that to endear AR fans to himself??

beveaux1
12-13-2015, 03:00 PM
I think TT has done a very good job with his WR drafts. In the West Coast Offense, you draft 2 types of receivers. A split receiver who could be the 1 or 2 receiver, and a slot receiver, who will be the 3 or 4 receiver in a 4 receiver set. If he drafts a 1 or 2, he hopes they develop into a 1. The Packers drafted Jennings as a 2, he developed into a 1. They drafted Jones as a 2, he never developed into a 1, but was decent as a 2. When his 2nd contract was up, they let him go. They drafted Nelson as a 2, he developed into a 1, Jennings was allowed to leave because they had their #1. They drafted Cobb as a 3. They drafted Adams as a 2, the jury is still out. Obviously, they re-signed Nelson to a 3rd contract because they did not have a viable #1 on the bench. This year, they drafted Montgomery as a 3 and hope he will replace Cobb when he comes up for his next contract.

For good measure, he drafted Janis a couple of years ago, hoping to develop him into a 2. He also drafted Abbrederis, as a 3 in case Montgomery has issues. I suspect he will draft one or two WR in the draft this year. That's pretty much obvious based on past drafts.

Injury to his top receiver made him sign Jones as a replacement, but he knew he was no better than a 2, and injured, he's at the bottom of the barrel as a #2. The hope was that Adams would develop. He hasn't, and he hasn't been 100% healthy, making him a low #2 like last year.

I hope the extra rest before the Cowboy game brings our starting receivers closer to 100%. If so, we might see some real improvement on offense. If not, more of the same.

Maxie the Taxi
12-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Time to draft a 1, we're full up on 3's.