PDA

View Full Version : How much is Lacy's extra poundage costing him?

Patler
12-11-2015, 02:42 PM
In real money this year?

Per the GBPG sources, Lacy is at about 255#:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2015/12/10/lacys-struggles-weighing-packers/77098584/

Then there is this tidbit on allowable fines for overweight players:

Players also have a financial incentive to make weight, and this has to have been a costly season for Lacy. The CBA allows a team to fine a player up to $470 for each pound he’s overweight, and they can fine him twice a week. All indications are that the Packers are fining Lacy, though to what degree is unclear.

Depending on where the Packers have set Lacy’s threshold (235 pounds? 240? 245?), he could be paying thousands of dollars each week. And if general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy aren’t fining him at or close to the max, then they’re culpable as well.

If they list him at 234, but he is really 254, could he be paying nearly $20K per week to eat as he chooses? His base salary is about twice that per week.

MadScientist
12-11-2015, 02:55 PM
If they list him at 234, but he is really 254, could he be paying nearly $20K per week to eat as he chooses? His base salary is about twice that per week.

There's no food in the world worth that kind of money.

Joemailman
12-11-2015, 04:28 PM
I think the bigger question id how much money he's throwing away in regards to his next contract.

Patler
12-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I think the bigger question id how much money he's throwing away in regards to his next contract.

He has time to recover for that, and a next contract is all conjecture at this point anyway. Sure, it might be a bigger number eventually, but many things, including injury, can get in the way of a big, long term future contract. Fines are actual dollars out of his pocket this year, and from the numbers given in the article could be nearly half his current salary.

The bird in his hand might be just a half bird.

run pMc
12-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Or a whole Thanksgiving turkey.

Rastak
12-11-2015, 11:05 PM
He has time to recover for that, and a next contract is all conjecture at this point anyway. Sure, it might be a bigger number eventually, but many things, including injury, can get in the way of a big, long term future contract. Fines are actual dollars out of his pocket this year, and from the numbers given in the article could be nearly half his current salary.

Is it verified he's being fined?

Seems like kind of a iffy story.

Patler
12-11-2015, 11:32 PM
Is it verified he's being fined?

Seems like kind of a iffy story.

I think the only information we have is what the GBPG article had to say about it.
I have no idea what "all indications" are; but how much of what they report these days is verified in any way?

All indications are that the Packers are fining Lacy, though to what degree is unclear.

Rastak
12-11-2015, 11:45 PM
I think the only information we have is what the GBPG article had to say about it.
I have no idea what "all indications" are; but how much of what they report these days is verified in any way?

Yea, and nobody in this story would want to "verify it" from either side.

Fritz
12-12-2015, 07:34 AM
I don't think the $20,000 is that expensive. He can make some of that up with the savings from the $8.99 all-you-can-eat buffet at the Golden Corral.

mraynrand
12-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Lacy's contract specifically states that they can't count the undigested red meat in his belly as part of his normal weight. That's about 20-30 pounds worth, so he's essentially off the hook.