PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 14 vs Cowboys

pbmax
12-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Sweet revenge. For one of those losses in the 90s.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWJWZFdWcAARtIo.png:large

pbmax
12-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m6 minutes ago
#Packers rushing today:
Lacy: 24-124, TD
Starks: 11-71, 2 TD
Rodgers: 3-27
Cobb: 3-9
Kuhn: 1-2
Tolzien: 2-(-3)
TOTAL: 44-230, 5.2-yard avg

Freak Out
12-13-2015, 09:19 PM
How is Shields?

Joemailman
12-13-2015, 09:41 PM
How is Shields?

No word that I know of. If it's a concussion, probably won't really know anything until mid-week.

pbmax
12-13-2015, 09:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWJjp2yWIAAum1n.png:large

pbmax
12-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Rodgers

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 3h3 hours ago
Rodgers on play-calling: Not going to get into that. What's important is that we won the game tonight & we had a good 4th quarter.

Rodgers on Eddie Lacy: He's a big, strong, powerful runner. We have to run the ball in winter...Eddie ran the ball really well. #DALvsGB

Rodgers on Lacy & James Starks: We need that 1-2 punch. #DALvsGB

Rodgers: We're putting ourselves in position to get in the playoffs...We've just got to keep winning football games. #DALvsGB

Rodgers: It all starts with the run game. The offensive line played great & battled. Proud of those guys. #DALvsGB

pbmax
12-13-2015, 09:49 PM
McCarthy

McCarthy: Excellent team victory today. Very proud of our team. We beat a good football team in the Dallas Cowboys. #DALvsGB

McCarthy on offense: The balance I thought was critical to our success. #DALvsGB

McCarthy on play-calling: It's an adjustment in our process & this is the way we'll go forward. #DALvsGB

McCarthy: It always starts with the run. The guys up front did a phenomenal job. #DALvsGB

McCarthy: I always believe in Eddie...He needed to re-focus. He did that & you could see it when he stepped on the field. #DALvsGB

channtheman
12-14-2015, 01:55 AM
McCarthy

McCarthy: Excellent team victory today. Very proud of our team. We beat a good football team in the Dallas Cowboys. #DALvsGB

McCarthy on offense: The balance I thought was critical to our success. #DALvsGB

McCarthy on play-calling: It's an adjustment in our process & this is the way we'll go forward. #DALvsGB

McCarthy: It always starts with the run. The guys up front did a phenomenal job. #DALvsGB

McCarthy: I always believe in Eddie...He needed to re-focus. He did that & you could see it when he stepped on the field. #DALvsGB

Well, that's just flat out false.

Carolina_Packer
12-14-2015, 05:32 AM

Yeah, I think it's just a coaching reflex. You wonder if it's more of the winning coach throwing the losing team a bone or just to say to keep things positive. Would he say that if they had just beaten the Browns?

To me, it's better to just focus comments on your team's effort.

Fritz
12-14-2015, 05:35 AM

No, it's not. The Cowboys are in the thick of a battle for the NFC East title!

pbmax
12-14-2015, 07:15 AM
The Cowboys have everything but a quarterback.

mraynrand
12-14-2015, 08:27 AM
The Cowboys have everything but a quarterback.

yup. Romo out there yesterday and it's a whole different ball game. 50-50 Packers lose.

Patler
12-14-2015, 08:49 AM
I have never understood all the Romo love. Over his career, he has found almost as many ways to lose important games as Jay Cutler has.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 08:56 AM
"I don't think it was the punt height," said Whitehead. "I wasn't getting the right time to make a move.

"I watched film, especially of the punter. I know he likes to shank the ball a lot, and I wanted to get a bead on him. I felt I did that, and Janis just had a good game."

MASTHAY!

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/speedy-jeff-janis-has-a-bash-b99631651z1-361754961.html

pbmax
12-14-2015, 08:57 AM
I have never understood all the Romo love. Over his career, he has found almost as many ways to lose important games as Jay Cutler has.

Romo > Cassell

Don't need to go farther than that.

MadScientist
12-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Well they are a playoff team with him and dog shit without him. The Bears are dog shit without Cuttler, but only mediocre with him.

smuggler
12-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Whatever the case with Romo, it's clear the Cowpokes needed more from the QB yesterday.

Patler
12-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Romo > Cassell

Don't need to go farther than that.

So what? That doesn't mean the Packers would have lost if Romo had played, as several have suggested.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
So what? That doesn't mean the Packers would have lost if Romo had played, as several have suggested.

Would have been more competitive, don't you think?

Not saying its a guaranteed loss, but he is clearly better equipped to use Bryant and Witten. Jimmy Johnson said the Cowboys should test the Packer DBs deep, Cassel could never do it.

Fritz
12-14-2015, 10:52 AM

Not saying its a guaranteed loss, but he is clearly better equipped to use Bryant and Witten. Jimmy Johnson said the Cowboys should test the Packer DBs deep, Cassel could never do it.

Agreed. Maybe Dez would've had seven or eight drops if Romo had played.

Patler
12-14-2015, 11:04 AM

More competitive? I don't know, maybe.
Better equipped to....etc. - again, I say, so what?

Rodgers is better equipped than all but a few players to do most things asked of QBs, but that does not ensure that they will be competitive in any one game, as we have seen several times this year. In the games he has played this year, Romo has more interceptions than TDs. Maybe he would have had 5 TDs against GB. Maybe he would have had 3 interceptions and a lost fumble.

The game is played with the players who are available, and the presence of any who was not available does not ensure any different result.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 12:14 PM
^ I am not saying that hypothetical Romo changes the result. For my part its trying to project forward, playing Palmer and Wilson. Maybe even Carr.

For others it might simply be an effort to discount the win to fit their preferred narrative that the team is secretly terrible and is only one player away from being the AFC South.

Patler
12-14-2015, 01:08 PM
^ I am not saying that hypothetical Romo changes the result. For my part its trying to project forward, playing Palmer and Wilson. Maybe even Carr.

For others it might simply be an effort to discount the win to fit their preferred narrative that the team is secretly terrible and is only one player away from being the AFC South.

Ya, I was addressing more the second than the first. The ones who want to think GB was merely "lucky" because Romo is out. That is a never ending carousal, because there is always another injury to consider in discounting the result.

I'm not sure this game has much value in projecting forward, either. Since we did not see Romo, I'm not sure how to project what we saw from Cassell to what a real NFL QB might do.

I haven't seen Cassell in a while, but he didn't even look like an NFL talent. His entry into a throw was so slow and deliberate, with the ball guided more than thrown. Looked more like a high school kid throwing the ball than an NFL player.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3h3 hours ago
Tweeted this late last night. In my Numbers story, I had the #Packers forcing 15 missed tackles yesterday. Defense missed just one.

Cassell seemed to have a real problem with a wet ball.

mraynrand
12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
"I don't think it was the punt height," said Whitehead. "I wasn't getting the right time to make a move.

"I watched film, especially of the punter. I know he likes to shank the ball a lot, and I wanted to get a bead on him. I felt I did that, and Janis just had a good game."

Maybe Janis is Jarrett Bush - and Marcus Wilson going back further - great ST guy that just can't crack the O lineup because he doesn't have whatever it takes - brains, instinct, hands, whatever.

red
12-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3h3 hours ago
Tweeted this late last night. In my Numbers story, I had the #Packers forcing 15 missed tackles yesterday. Defense missed just one.

Cassell seemed to have a real problem with a wet ball.

so if 3 guys latch on to lacy, and eddy carries them all 15 yards, does that count as 3 missed tackles?

pbmax
12-14-2015, 05:41 PM
so if 3 guys latch on to lacy, and eddy carries them all 15 yards, does that count as 3 missed tackles?

I think that is one broken tackle, 2 broken assists.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 1h1 hour ago
3K yard QB, 1K yard runner, 2 1K yard receivers, 0 playoff games

09 PIT
08 GB
07 CLE
06 CIN/STL
02 BUF
01 NO
00 JAX
99 GB/DEN
95 CHI
81 MIN

NAME 'EM!

Patler
12-14-2015, 06:03 PM

I think that is one broken tackle, 2 broken assists.

When does it become a broken tackle? Assume one guy latches on, never lets go and eventually brings him down by himself. If Lacy drags him 1 yard, is that a broken tackle? 2 yards? 5 yards? 10 yards? Or, since the guy never fell off and eventually makes the tackle, is it no broken tackle at all?

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2015, 06:08 PM
When does it become a broken tackle? Assume one guy latches on, never lets go and eventually brings him down by himself. If Lacy drags him 1 yard, is that a broken tackle? 2 yards? 5 yards? 10 yards? Or, since the guy never fell off and eventually makes the tackle, is it no broken tackle at all?

I think that's yards after contact.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 41m41 minutes ago
McCarthy: "I'm very happy for Mike Daniels and his family. ... It's an exciting time. It's something that's well-deserved."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 40m40 minutes ago
McCarthy calls Daniels' contract "well-deserved." ... "Mike, he's always been a buzz-saw." Matured in every way. Student of game.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 40m40 minutes ago
McCarthy on Mike Daniels: "Mike has always been a buzzsaw (on defense). That was his play style at Iowa, and he's brought that."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 40m40 minutes ago
McCarthy: "I thought we played well offensively. The run-pass combination was the plan going into the game."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 39m39 minutes ago
McCarthy on the play-calling: That's the way we'll operate moving forward. Did some good things on offense.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 39m39 minutes ago
McCarthy said Tom Clements will be involved with game plan each week. His responsibilities on game day are back to what he did last year.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 37m37 minutes ago
MM on Rollins and Randall last night. "They graded out well." very happy with the rookie CBs, though Rollins had few things to clean up.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 37m37 minutes ago
Do #Packers have Super Bowl defense? "Definitely" trending right way. Work to get done. Tackled pretty good. (I had them missing two, FWIW)

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy: Defensively when we stop the run, we're tough to handle.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 33m33 minutes ago
"Too early to tell," MM says of Shields' availability for this week. Had concussion in second quarter.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 32m32 minutes ago
McCarthy on Eddie Lacy & James Starks: That's the 1-2 punch you look for...When you get attempts around 40, that's where you want to be.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 29m29 minutes ago
"we need to do whatever we need to do to win," MM says of the team when asked if yesterday's formula is the new formula.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 29m29 minutes ago Green Bay, WI
As they did with San Francisco in Week 4, #Packers will travel to Oakland on Friday, McCarthy said.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m28 minutes ago
Answering a question about Woodson. Called him a "generational" player.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m28 minutes ago
MM with a great answer on @jasonjwilde's question. Attacked him as a rookie (when MM in KC) because knew they couldn't attack him later.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 24m24 minutes ago
Capers on defense vs. Cowboys: The best thing we did yesterday was our situational football was very good.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
Best things about #Packers defense was combined 13-of-14 on third/fourth down, Capers said.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 23m23 minutes ago
Dom Capers: "The areas we need to work on -- you can't have three long runs."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 22m22 minutes ago
Capers: "I like the way our guys responded to the adversity to start the game. We came back and finished very strong."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
Capers on Randall & Rollins: I have confidence in both those guys. They're both confident guys. They've improved as the season has gone on.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
Capers on Daniels: Starts with attitude. "You know what you have in Mike." Studies hard, works hard, takes advantage of his leverage.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 19m19 minutes ago
Capers on Mike Daniels: You know what you have in Mike. He's going to come to work every day. Has a great temperament, he's a tough guy.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18m18 minutes ago
Capers likes Daniels' run-pass ability but have to be careful not to play him too much because hates to take him off the field.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17m17 minutes ago
Mid-question, I thought Wilde was going to ask Dom about playing Janis at cornerback.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 16m16 minutes ago
@PackerReport I was thinking OLB

Patler
12-14-2015, 06:09 PM
I think that's yards after contact.

So no broken tackle at all?

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
Edgar Bennett: We performed at a high level in certain situations. It was a good day overall. Guys were focused from start to finish.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
Bennett on what he liked about the offense: "We executed well." Liked players' focus.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
Bennett: I think our guys having the extra time, they put it to use. You go back and look at opportunities. We converted more 3rd downs.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
Bennett points to third-down efficiency and the 80 plays by the offense.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
Bennett on play-calling change: Once coach Mike puts in place, our job to go out and execute. Everyone from players to coaches was on board.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 9m9 minutes ago
Bennett on commitment to run game: That was goal and the score let them continue down that path.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m9 minutes ago
EB on Eddie Lacy and offense: That was the one thing that was glaring. Our guys broke tackles.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 9m9 minutes ago
"Our guys broke a lot of tackles .... were violent on the boundaries" and made guys miss. (FWIW, I had GB forced 15 misses)

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
Bennett on Eddie Lacy: He had a good week. He was focused & made the most of his opportunities on the field & in the classroom.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 7m7 minutes ago
Bennett on running game vs. Cowboys: Our guys did an outstanding job up front...Everyone played a role & our backs benefited.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
Bennett on screens: Players we have do an outstanding job of being on same page. It's about timing and set up.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 5m5 minutes ago
Edgar on screen game: "You get what you emphasize." Good way to slow pass rush, too.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 4m4 minutes ago Green Bay, WI
Jason Wilde Retweeted Rob Demovsky
... you would have the "opportunity" to retire early. Jason Wilde added,
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
If I had a dollar for every time Edgar Bennett said "opportunity" or "fundamentals" or "preparation" ...

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
Bennett on John Kuhn: Was great getting him more involved. It all depends on our opponent & what we feel gives us a chance to be successful.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
#Packers OC Edgar Bennett: "With the men in that locker room, we feel like we can line up and play any style of football."

smuggler
12-14-2015, 06:12 PM
So no broken tackle at all?

Yeah, I believe this is the case.

Mostly a technicality. Similar to when an elusive back makes a tackler whiff so badly that they don't even touch him. In that case, it's a missed tackle for the defender, but the runner doesn't get credit for a broken tackle.

The point is, the runner gained the yards the offense wanted.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 19m19 minutes ago
On Jeff Janis' punt-coverage tackles: He timed it up. I was kind of concerned on a couple of them. He's starting to feel his strength, speed

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m20 minutes ago
Ron Zook on Janis: He continues to get better. He's starting to really feel his strength and speed. This week he'll really get tested.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 16m16 minutes ago
Zook on Masthay's performance: Winning net punt would be key, Zook said before game. Which they did, by small margin.

:roll:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Zook doesn't understand why Cowboys weren't flagged for roughing on an early punt.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 15m15 minutes ago
Ron Zook on whether Tim Masthay was run into on early punt: "He did. He got whacked" #Packers

Pugger
12-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Tony wasn't playing all that hot before he hurt that collarbone again this year. Last year Romo looked great because of DeMarco Murray. But Tony is light years better than Cassel.

Pugger
12-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Agreed. Maybe Dez would've had seven or eight drops if Romo had played.

:lol:

Pugger
12-14-2015, 07:00 PM
If Sam Shields suffered only a concussion we dodged a bullet there.

hoosier
12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
09 PIT
08 GB: Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Driver
07 CLE
06 CIN/STL
02 BUF
01 NO
00 JAX
99 GB/DEN: Favre, Levens, Free, Schroeder; Plummer, Gary, Smith, McCaffrey
95 CHI
81 MIN

Guiness
12-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 1h1 hour ago
3K yard QB, 1K yard runner, 2 1K yard receivers, 0 playoff games

09 PIT
08 GB
07 CLE
06 CIN/STL
02 BUF
01 NO
00 JAX
99 GB/DEN
95 CHI
81 MIN

NAME 'EM!

Lesse what I can do off the top of my head

'08 Rodgers, Jennings and Grant...the other WR would be Driver, not Nelson

99 GB Favre, Freeman, Schroeder, the RB escapes me, too early for Greene

99 Den...well, let's see. Ferrote? Plummer? I'm missing someone there, seems to be Elway had an understudy. One of the wrs would be McCaffrey, no idea about the other one. The RB would be one of the string of 1000 runners Shanahan seemed able to string together year after year with that zone blocking system - Anderson, Gary, Droughns, Bell, Portis...all but the last one year wonders, and it wasn't Portis he was later.

red
12-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Lesse what I can do off the top of my head

'08 Rodgers, Jennings and Grant...the other WR would be Driver, not Nelson

99 GB Favre, Freeman, Schroeder, the RB escapes me, too early for Greene

99 Den...well, let's see. Ferrote? Plummer? I'm missing someone there, seems to be Elway had an understudy. One of the wrs would be McCaffrey, no idea about the other one. The RB would be one of the string of 1000 runners Shanahan seemed able to string together year after year with that zone blocking system - Anderson, Gary, Droughns, Bell, Portis...all but the last one year wonders, and it wasn't Portis he was later.

poor old forgot to history dorsey levens

Fritz
12-15-2015, 08:31 PM
He and Edgar Bennett - serviceable all-around backs.