PDA

View Full Version : Daniels extended!

smuggler
12-14-2015, 09:22 AM
4 years // $42 million

smuggler
12-14-2015, 09:28 AM
$12 million signing bonus

All told, a pretty reasonable contract for him.

red
12-14-2015, 09:32 AM
thats a huge contract for a 3-4 DE

but he is easily our best lineman, glad it got wrapped up before free agency

sorry bj, no more money left for you

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Fantastic run stuffer. Great to see him stay in GB. Will be interesting to see how the money is structured.

red
12-14-2015, 09:39 AM
now the third highest paid 3-4 DE in the nfl

this is how TT works. this summer, daniels wanted 10 million a year, the packers would only offer far less then that. talks broke down.

and now daniels signs for more then what he wanted to sign for just a few months ok

tt at his finest

smuggler
12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Not going to be third highest for long. Fletcher Cox and Muhammed Wilkerson will be due for new contracts in the off-season. This will be great value with a $155m or higher salary cap.

ThunderDan
12-14-2015, 10:00 AM

this is how TT works. this summer, daniels wanted 10 million a year, the packers would only offer far less then that. talks broke down.

and now daniels signs for more then what he wanted to sign for just a few months ok

tt at his finest

This makes no sense. They couldn't agree on the contract because they didn't think Daniels was worth that before the season. Daniels is having a very solid 2015 and at this level of play is worth the $12M. If he hit free agency would cost a lot more than $12M per season. Think Flacco and the Ravens.

If Daniels had gotten injured this year after TT had extended him this summer you would be screaming that it was stupid to extend Daniels early.

I am glad we got it done and I am glad Daniels has been playing well this year.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 10:01 AM

tt at his finest

Remember the funny money rule. How much is he getting in the first two years?

smuggler
12-14-2015, 10:14 AM
$22m, if you count the bonus. I don't know why you wouldn't.

red
12-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Remember the funny money rule. How much is he getting in the first two years?

yeah, but TT really doesn't do "funny money" deals

red
12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
This makes no sense. They couldn't agree on the contract because they didn't think Daniels was worth that before the season. Daniels is having a very solid 2015 and at this level of play is worth the $12M. If he hit free agency would cost a lot more than $12M per season. Think Flacco and the Ravens.

If Daniels had gotten injured this year after TT had extended him this summer you would be screaming that it was stupid to extend Daniels early.

I am glad we got it done and I am glad Daniels has been playing well this year.

nah, if you go back a read all my posts ypu'll find that i might be the most vocal person on here about getting your players re-signed early

Patler
12-14-2015, 10:26 AM

tt at his finest

Ya, too bad he didn't pay Raji what he wanted a couple years ago, too, wasn't it? Or Jennings what he wanted instead of sticking to their evaluation of his worth.

Things can change over the course of a season, sometimes to the benefit of the player, sometimes to the benefit of the team. When delay benefits the player, is is usually only a few million difference. When it benefits the team, it is usually for the bulk of the value of the contract.

Maybe the Packers now feel they have extra money to play with, because they don't intend to keep Peppers, freeing up $7.5M or so next year; or because they don't feel the need to save money to offer Hayward with Randall and Rollins fitting in nicely, or because they don't intend to sign Guion long term, etc. There can be a lot of reasons they didn't have $10M/year for him a year ago, but have $12M/year for him now.

Then, again, maybe the reported $10M/year that Daniels supposedly wanted was for the public/press only, and he was really asking for a lot more when dealing with the team. Or, maybe he would have signed for $8M/year. The "wouldas" in these situations are not very reliable, and aren't worth worrying about.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Over the course of half a year, Daniels has demonstrated he deserves that kind of money, or more particularly, that he would attract offers for that kind of money in the offseason.

If he earned 1.5 mil more than the original Packer offer (just a guess, less than $10mi per versus the $11mil per he got in the first 2 years), and its essentially guaranteed for 2 years, its not a huge hit for the team.

texaspackerbacker
12-14-2015, 10:53 AM
It seemed like Daniels had one of his lesser games against the Cowboys. I'm fairly glad they extended him - I guess he's worth it. He's good, but that's in part from playing next to damn Raji (the comparison I mean - NOT benefiting from Raji's play). With the relative lack of success the Packers have had developing other good D Linemen, keeping him was a necessary move.

Tony Oday
12-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I still think Peppers plays here next year.

texaspackerbacker
12-14-2015, 10:55 AM

I think so too, but maybe with a restructure and a bit of a pay cut.

Fritz
12-14-2015, 10:56 AM
I wonder what Jerel Worthy is thinking right now.

Patler
12-14-2015, 11:27 AM

I think so too, but maybe with a restructure and a bit of a pay cut.

Ya, it wouldn't surprise me if he is back next year. I doubt it will be with any kind of restucture, because I doubt they will want to add any more years to his contract, and the existing terms reduce his 2016 salary quite a bit from this year's salary as it is.

Teamcheez1
12-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Ya, it wouldn't surprise me if he is back next year. I doubt it will be with any kind of restucture, because I doubt they will want to add any more years to his contract, and the existing terms reduce his 2016 salary quite a bit from this year's salary as it is.

Peppers is due to make $10.5M at 36 years of age. I don't think we will bring him back at anywhere close to those numbers.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Daniels is 3rd in guaranteed money. Anyone know where the average in the first two years falls? ($11mil per)

Patler
12-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Daniels is 3rd in guaranteed money. Anyone know where the average in the first two years falls? ($11mil per)

Piecing together the details:

$42 million contract extension.
$12 million signing bonus.
$22 million over the first 15 months (per JSO)

That would mean $10 million for any adjusted 2015 salary (not sure if the window is still open for that, or not) workout and roster bonuses this coming off season and 2016 salary, weekly roster bonuses, etc..

It would also leave $20 million for all types of compensation payable in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Unless, it isn't four additional years, but four years including a restructured 2015, in which case the $20 million would cover only two years, 2017 & 2018.

red
12-14-2015, 01:54 PM

tied for 7th for all DE's (3-4 and 4-3)

red
12-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Piecing together the details:

$42 million contract extension.
$12 million signing bonus.
$22 million over the first 15 months (per JSO)

That would mean $10 million for any adjusted 2015 salary (not sure if the window is still open for that, or not) workout and roster bonuses this coming off season and 2016 salary, weekly roster bonuses, etc..

It would also leave $20 million for all types of compensation payable in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Unless, it isn't four additional years, but four years including a restructured 2015, in which case the $20 million would cover only two years, 2017 & 2018.

by my fucked up math, his cap hits in the first 2 years should both be less then 8 million per year, with the last two years averaging 13 million dollar hits

unless they figure out how to get the prorted bonus to start with this season. then those numbers would drop by about a half million per year

Patler
12-14-2015, 02:26 PM
by my fucked up math, his cap hits in the first 2 years should both be less then 8 million per year, with the last two years averaging 13 million dollar hits

unless they figure out how to get the prorted bonus to start with this season. then those numbers would drop by about a half million per year

There is a cutoff date before which in-season extensions can be written to include the current season, but I think they might be past that.

It looks like the cap hit for 2016 will be larger than you suggest, because he gets his signing bonus and another $10 million between now and the end of 2016. I assume a lot of that $10M will count against the 2016 cap.

red
12-14-2015, 02:33 PM
There is a cutoff date before which in-season extensions can be written to include the current season, but I think they might be past that.

It looks like the cap hit for 2016 will be larger than you suggest, because he gets his signing bonus and another $10 million between now and the end of 2016. I assume a lot of that $10M will count against the 2016 cap.

good catch. 22 million over the first 15 months

so he gets the signing bonus now, and it looks like a 10 million dollar salary for next season

so a 13 million dollar hit in 2016, and an average of just under 10 million the remaining 3 years

smuggler
12-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Yeah, that was my mistake. It was $22m in the first 15 months, not $22m over the first two years.

Fritz
12-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Well, let's get him some help on that line, whether it's Raji and a real defensive tackle, or Pennel in the middle with a real defensive tackle. A 5 tech who can wreak havoc, now that Datone Jones is becoming an OLB.

mraynrand
12-14-2015, 03:22 PM
I wonder what Jerel Worthy is thinking right now.

"I'm not Worthy, I'm not Worthy!"

mraynrand
12-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Well, his ship has come in. Let's see if Daniels takes this as his cue to kick back and take 'er easy.

red
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Well, let's get him some help on that line, whether it's Raji and a real defensive tackle, or Pennel in the middle with a real defensive tackle. A 5 tech who can wreak havoc, now that Datone Jones is becoming an OLB.

and thats the big problem

yes, daniels is the defensive leader, yes he is by far the best lineman, yes, its right to pay a guy like that his fair share

but when you look at how much we are now spending on our front 7 (if peppers stays next year) and look at how little pressure they put on other QBs on any kind of consistent basis, its a litle alarming to me

and if we then have to pay raji anywhere close to 10 million a year, its gonna be nuts

pbmax
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Pennel is the guy who will anchor future lines against the run with Daniels. He's been playing well and is ahead of Guion. We'll see if he can handle the nose.

Joemailman
12-14-2015, 05:50 PM

yes, daniels is the defensive leader, yes he is by far the best lineman, yes, its right to pay a guy like that his fair share

but when you look at how much we are now spending on our front 7 (if peppers stays next year) and look at how little pressure they put on other QBs on any kind of consistent basis, its a litle alarming to me

and if we then have to pay raji anywhere close to 10 million a year, its gonna be nuts

I don't think there's any way they'll pay Raji anything close 10M.

Patler
12-14-2015, 05:52 PM

I think you suffer from the same affliction I do. I look at Neal with about a $4M cap figure and it seems absurd. But then when I remember that next year you can be looking at average salaries of nearly $3M for a 53 man roster, and I remember that well over half the roster gets less than $1M, it hits home that you don't have to be a great player anymore to get a $3-5M/year contract, you just have to be useful. Guys like Raji, Guijon and Perry who cost less than $3M against the cap are no problem at all, because there are a lot of guys like Elliot, Malumba, Thomas, Ryan and Pennel, too.

Now days, if you get a 2nd contract and are in the regular rotation of players, you are going to make $3M+, absent unusual circumstances (like Raji & Guijon). If you are a quasi-starter, you will get even more.

Patler
12-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Pennel is the guy who will anchor future lines against the run with Daniels. He's been playing well and is ahead of Guion. We'll see if he can handle the nose.

He is starting to show some things, isn't he? Nice progression of development. Hopefully, next year it will be a big jump.

smuggler
12-14-2015, 06:10 PM
If you want to retain a player after their first contract, regardless of their skill, you have to pay $2-3 million a year. What were we shelling out for Erik Walden and Jarrett Bush? Neal is good depth, so we paid to retain him.

I think Raji will probably get like 2 years, $12 million unless he wants to go play on some other team.

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
He is starting to show some things, isn't he? Nice progression of development. Hopefully, next year it will be a big jump.

Finally a guy who made the second year jump and didn't strain his hamstring or tweak an ankle.

Patler
12-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Finally a guy who made the second year jump and didn't strain his hamstring or tweak an ankle.

Dang it pb, THERE ARE THREE GAMES LEFT YET!!!! :-) :-)

pbmax
12-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Whoops.

Pugger
12-14-2015, 06:41 PM

That contract should be a carrot for Raji.

Fritz
12-15-2015, 08:35 PM
So do you throw money at Raji if you think Pennel can do it next year on the cheap, or do you cover your ass and sign Raji, knowing you can use them both?

denverYooper
12-15-2015, 09:16 PM
So do you throw money at Raji if you think Pennel can do it next year on the cheap, or do you cover your ass and sign Raji, knowing you can use them both?

Raji might not cost all that much.

Patler
12-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Daniels' contract details per JSO:

$12 M signing bonus divided over 5 caps, 2015-2019.
No other adjustment in 2015 compensation.
$17 M through 2016, $22M previously reported includes 2017 roster bonus.
Includes 4 Pro Bowl escalators of $125K each.
$41M deal without Pro Bowl escalators, $42.5 if all escalators met.

Year by year:

2015: $12 million signing bonus.

2016: $800,000 base salary, $3.3 million roster bonus, $400,000 workout bonus, $500,000 per-game roster bonus.

2017: $2.1 million base salary, $5.0 million roster bonus, $400,000 workout bonus, $500,000 per-game roster bonus.

2018: $6.6 million base salary, $400,000 workout bonus, $500,000 per-game roster bonus.

2019: $7.6 million base salary, $400,000 workout bonus, $500,000 per-game roster bonus.

Patler
12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Peppers is due to make $10.5M at 36 years of age. I don't think we will bring him back at anywhere close to those numbers.

He only makes a maximum $8M in new money, $7M salary, $500K each for workout and game day roster bonuses. The $10.5 figure is his cap cost, which includes $2.5M of dead money even if they release him.

To keep him another year will cost a maximum of $8M.

Rutnstrut
12-16-2015, 08:58 AM

Hopefully they don't bring him back at all. Let him go somewhere else and play part time like he does in GB, he is very over rated.

Patler
12-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Hopefully they don't bring him back at all. Let him go somewhere else and play part time like he does in GB, he is very over rated.

Peppers has been kind of quiet this year, yet he has made some significant plays at key times, such as the strip sack recovered by Ryan. He does have 7 sacks in 11 games playing fewer snaps. He had 7 for all of last year. He has been invisible this year in pass coverage, no PDefs or Ints, after having 11 and 2 last year.

I won't be surprised at all if they bring him back. I'm not sure if I care much either way, if they do or don't bring him back. I don't think they have anyone else who deserves to take his playing time.

pbmax
12-16-2015, 09:20 AM
So rough idea on cap hits: $12 mil bonus/5 years = $2.4 mil allocated per year

2015 cap number is effectively $2.4 million more than his current salary $1,542,000 and any bonus carryover.

2016 is $5 mil + 2.4 = $7.4 mil cap number

2017 is $8 mil + 2.4 = $10.4 mil

2018 is $7.5 + 2.4 = $9.9 mil

2019 is $8.5 + 2.4 = $10.9 mil

Best part about it is that if catastrophe hits prior to 2017, $5 million of that number is roster bonus. So they can save a ton of cash and the cap hit is 800K in their favor ($8 mil saved - $7.2 mil accelerated).

Patler
12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
So rough idea on cap hits: $12 mil bonus/5 years = $2.4 mil allocated per year

2015 cap number is effectively $2.4 million more than his current salary $1,542,000 and any bonus carryover.

2016 is $5 mil + 2.4 = $7.4 mil cap number

2017 is $8 mil + 2.4 = $10.4 mil

2018 is $7.5 + 2.4 = $9.9 mil

2019 is $8.5 + 2.4 = $10.9 mil

Best part about it is that if catastrophe hits prior to 2017, $5 million of that number is roster bonus. So they can save a ton of cash and the cap hit is 800K in their favor ($8 mil saved - $7.2 mil accelerated).

Another part I like is that with $500K in weekly roster bonuses, they effectively cover the cost of his replacement if he goes on IR, since that usually means keeping a young guy, or an old guy at close to minimum wage. Daniels' roster spot is covered at the given cost, either by him, or by a combination of him and his replacement if he goes on IR.

smuggler
12-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Peppers has been kind of quiet this year, yet he has made some significant plays at key times, such as the strip sack recovered by Ryan. He does have 7 sacks in 11 games playing fewer snaps. He had 7 for all of last year. He has been invisible this year in pass coverage, no PDefs or Ints, after having 11 and 2 last year.

I won't be surprised at all if they bring him back. I'm not sure if I care much either way, if they do or don't bring him back. I don't think they have anyone else who deserves to take his playing time.

Great post. The guy's 36. He's playing pretty well for his age, but he's still old.

mraynrand
12-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Peppers .... I don't think they have anyone else who deserves to take his playing time.

that's the most troubling part

Patler
12-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Peppers .... I don't think they have anyone else who deserves to take his playing time.

that's the most troubling part

I agree.

Zool
12-16-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm confused about the $500k per game bonus. That's $8mil per year just in bonus money?

pbmax
12-16-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm confused about the $500k per game bonus. That's $8mil per year just in bonus money?

I think its $500k divided by the number of games.

Fritz
12-17-2015, 09:37 AM
It seems like a reasonable contract, but I thought that it was funny that suddenly yesterday Mike Daniels showed up on the injured list.

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Cletidus Hunt!

(I know he's not that kind of guy from everything I've read, but it was kinda funny that suddenly he was hurt.)