PDA

View Full Version : CHANGES IN THE OFFENSE

Bretsky
12-19-2015, 06:35 AM
I've been thinking about this and then listened to a detailed interview with I think Tom Silverstein who covers the Packers.

There were some very obvious changes to MM's strategy as opposed to Clements and a not so obvious one as well.

Obviously we're trying to mix up the run better as well as utilized both back more effectively.

But before it seems like many of the pass calls were focused towards Devante Adams as the primary target. Unfortunately his routes were closer to Robert Fergusons than Allan Robinsons so he was closer to Fresno State than he was to getting open.

Now it appears on passed the focus of this offense is going through Randall Cobb with many more rhythm passes. Mix in some screens and perhaps a few throws to guys who can get open and it looks very different.

It's also a theory that MM may be calling plays and giving AROD a little "less" leeway to change the plays. I'm not sure if this is right or not but it was mentioned.

Thoughts ??

beveaux1
12-19-2015, 12:01 PM
I think we've seen an ongoing process of establishing an identity for this team. After our 3 losses in a row in which we attempted the same tried and true offense we have used over the past 5 years.... and used the beat up receivers we have on our roster...the ones who have been unable to create any degree of separation..... and faced defenses who have evolved by playing tight man-to-man instead of zone or loose man coverages.

We have evolved into a team that relies on our run game and a surprisingly decent defense, with screens and flat passes to running backs, WRs, and tight ends, making up the bulk of our passing yardage. We're playing small ball. Very few big plays. Some drives that stall. Play field position. Win ugly. We've evolved over the past 4 games. The game against the Cowboys showed the end of that evolution.

The first half had the Cowboys playing a lot of zone defense, and we proved we could move against that defense. I suspect they did it so that their defenders could watch Rodgers and keep him from making a big play with his legs. In the second half, they played much more tight man. After a few poor drives, we countered with more Lacy and Starks, less passing. McCarthy's biggest contribution was seeing the changes in how we were defended and fixing it on the fly. That, and staying with the run.

We've now won 3 of 4. Every game has been tight until the middle of the fourth quarter. I suspect that will be what all our games will be like until we face a team that is better than we are. The Cardinals might be that team, but McCarthy is pretty good at getting teams up to play one game so, maybe we'll play that one pretty close, too. I'm kind of excited to see what this new look Packers team will do. How far they'll go. Hopefully, deep into the playoffs, but expect each game to be tough. A running team doesn't blow out their opponents. They don't look pretty winning. The analysts don't usually give them much credit. Maybe we don't give them too much credit.

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2015, 01:21 PM
I think the weather had a lot to do with the game plan last week, that and basically taking what the defense gives. If Oakland "sells out" to stop the run - which I read somewhere, but I doubt, then we could see the passing attack flourish. I certainly hope the Packers have some screens ready with Mack and the rest of the Raiders pass rush. All in all, I think the offense is pretty much designed by a committee and won't change much with McCarthy calling the plays. If anything, I would expect a bit more risk-taking, as unlike Clement, he doesn't have a head coach to answer to.

wist43
12-19-2015, 01:25 PM
There was a noticeable difference in the play calling - for the better.

One play stands out to me as I remember that it fooled me - most times I can tell what's coming, and if I can tell what's coming, opponents that gameplan for us can certainly tell what's coming. Anyway, it was a middle screen to Starks. Great call, good result.

All of the passing on 3rd and 1 though... good grief, go heavy and pound it - and not with some slow developing play which allows for penetration.

pbmax
12-19-2015, 02:18 PM
I think we need to resist the urge to draw too many conclusions from the Cowboys game. Rod Marinelli doesn't seem to believe in studying game film so he played a lot of off coverage early and zone. If you wish Aaron Rodgers to eat your defense, this is what you do.

So a lot of the short stuff to Cobb and Jones will not be there with someone who has observed the 2015 Packer offense.

I do agree the mix of under center and pistol helped the running game and M3 seems to have made those calls.

red
12-19-2015, 04:38 PM
i agree with PB, lets not all go nuts over one game

lets not forget, mcstubby has always been quick in the past to give up on the run when he shouldn't, just like "clements" was doing

and i would be shocked if clements wasn't running the offense exactly the way tubby was wanting him to run all along

i think we just saw a very motivated team (for a change) after tubs put his foot down and demoted his second in command. maybe players took it as "fun time is over"

mraynrand
12-19-2015, 05:59 PM
I think you will a continued shift from the "touchdown,check down" to "check down, touchdown." It's just a realization that the line cannot hold up under the pressure of sustained man coverage. Stubby will also rely on the run not to set up the pass, but to prevent third down and longs. It would be nice to see them pick up one routinely on third and one, but the passing is an admission that the o-line beat up as it is cannot get sufficient push even with Kuhn blocking.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
There were some very obvious changes to MM's strategy as opposed to Clements and a not so obvious one as well.

Obviously we're trying to mix up the run better as well as utilized both back more effectively.

Clement tried to make the running game work too. The reason MM was able to stick with running game more last game is because it was producing. Clement would have done the same.

Rutnstrut
12-19-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm not buying in after one game against a shitty team. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we will see stubby back to his old anti run self. He does not seem to have patience for the running game, so if it runs into rough patches he abandons it easily. Sometimes I wonder if it's maybe not Rodgers that's anti run. Maybe he wants the glory of winning it by passing, and lobbies for it. Not saying that's it for sure, but he wouldn't be the first egotistical NFL star.

beveaux1
12-19-2015, 11:00 PM
I think we need to resist the urge to draw too many conclusions from the Cowboys game. Rod Marinelli doesn't seem to believe in studying game film so he played a lot of off coverage early and zone. If you wish Aaron Rodgers to eat your defense, this is what you do.

So a lot of the short stuff to Cobb and Jones will not be there with someone who has observed the 2015 Packer offense.

I do agree the mix of under center and pistol helped the running game and M3 seems to have made those calls.

I agree that the first half of the Cowboy game is outside the norm for the last 7 games with regard to our passing attack. I also do not believe we can count on 200+ yards of rushing on any kind of consistent basis. But, except for the game when Lacy was basically suspended, we have rushed for over 130 yards in each of the other 3 games in the past 4 game stretch. I think this shows a commitment to the run game that we hadn't' seen previously.

I won't say that we'll run the ball often against 8 man fronts, but if defenses play us with 7 man fronts, I believe we will commit to the run with the present state of our receivers. This is definitely quite a bit different from our offense of past years and different from our offense of the first 9 games. I think McCarthy realizes this is his best chance to win.

pbmax
12-20-2015, 08:44 AM
I agree, but I think this shows it wasn't all play calling. They have been trying to shift to more running for weeks. Lacy's trouble made that seem start and stop, but it had been evident under Clements.

From the formations, I take it that McCarthy is willing to abandon some of his run-pass option calls to put the run game in a favorable position.

But I am not sure he has solved the passing game woes, outside of a coverage favor by the Cowboys. Running the ball helps, but single safety looks haven't helped the Packers problem with man coverage this season.