PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Games bitch

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2015, 10:47 PM
The game of interest at noon tomorrow is Bears-Vikings. That's a game Wisconsin folken - Packer people - want to watch. So we're getting only Indianapolis - Houston instead?

Opposite the packer game is another AFC match up, Denver-Pittsburgh. Guess that is OK, nobody is watching anyway. Is this second game why we can't see Bears-Vikings at noon?

What good are rules that lock-out high ratings games?

MadScientist
12-19-2015, 11:38 PM
The networks switch as to which gets to show two games that week. This week CBS gets 2 and Fox 1. Since there is likely that the Packers game will get slightly higher ratings, the stations made the tough call to carry that game instead.

esoxx
12-19-2015, 11:48 PM
The Denver - Pittsburgh matchup is the only one this week between teams with winning records.

Which is lame.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 01:13 AM
The networks switch as to which gets to show two games that week. This week CBS gets 2 and Fox 1. Since there is likely that the Packers game will get slightly higher ratings, the stations made the tough call to carry that game instead.

Ya, I figured that. But why the fuck would CBS want to air two AFC games on an afternoon when people are planning day around Packer game? Why would Fox want to forgo a Bears-Viking matchup?
You'd think they could work something out. BTW, what would be wrong with both networks airing two games sometimes? Dumb rules lead to dumb situations like this week..

Actually, the whole season has been shitty games on Sunday afternoon TV, with the good matchups not on or on at same time as Packers.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Ya, I figured that. But why the fuck would CBS want to air two AFC games on an afternoon when people are planning day around Packer game? Why would Fox want to forgo a Bears-Viking matchup?
You'd think they could work something out. BTW, what would be wrong with both networks airing two games sometimes? Dumb rules lead to dumb situations like this week..

Actually, the whole season has been shitty games on Sunday afternoon TV, with the good matchups not on or on at same time as Packers.

Conversely it looks like no Packer game for me. Red Zone channel it is I guess.

denverYooper
12-20-2015, 08:29 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0a/45/cd/0a45cdab8a7df78a02e1c3ca4ba5d977.jpg

Joemailman
12-20-2015, 08:40 AM
http://506sports.com/

It's almost like they don't want Packer fans tuning in early.

pbmax
12-20-2015, 09:05 AM
This is an old school TV schedule week. The rules governing the games this week go back decades. CBS has a single game and doesn't want to go up against GB in Wisconsin markets. So an early turd. Don't understand why its not NE throughout the state. Who in Lodi cares about Colts v Texans?

Fox has the Packers and only a single game. It used to be the case that even if Fox had a doubleheader, GB-Milw would only get one game on the network, so their opposite number could broadcast a game without suffocating competition. Wausau, La Crosse and Madison would be exempt and get both games.

When I was a wee lad living on campus, we would gather on a high floor, fashion an antenna out of a coat hanger and pick up Rockford TV. There were Bear fans who wanted to see their dubious heroes and the rest of us (the non Packer fans among us) could get another out of market AFC/NBC game. Plus bonus Diehard commercials.

ThunderDan
12-20-2015, 09:39 AM
This is an old school TV schedule week. The rules governing the games this week go back decades. CBS has a single game and doesn't want to go up against GB in Wisconsin markets. So an early turd. Don't understand why its not NE throughout the state. Who in Lodi cares about Colts v Texans?

Fox has the Packers and only a single game. It used to be the case that even if Fox had a doubleheader, GB-Milw would only get one game on the network, so their opposite number could broadcast a game without suffocating competition. Wausau, La Crosse and Madison would be exempt and get both games.

When I was a wee lad living on campus, we would gather on a high floor, fashion an antenna out of a coat hanger and pick up Rockford TV. There were Bear fans who wanted to see their dubious heroes and the rest of us (the non Packer fans among us) could get another out of market AFC/NBC game. Plus bonus Diehard commercials.

HOU/IND is a barn burner to determine the winner of the AFC South. :shtf:

Tony Oday
12-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Get Sunday Ticket and quit your bitching.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 12:22 PM
The rule that you have to have an even number of AFC (CBS) and NFC (FOX) games in every market is unspeakably dumb.

The fans and the networks would benefit simply by showing the games of greatest interest in each local market. AFC cities are going to want to watch more AFC games!

Sure, you might find over time that the FOX games are more widely broadcast. So that just means their license is more valuable, pay up. Probably some years CBS will have more interest.

The "solution" of force-feeding consumers the products they don't want is the stupidity of a creaky old monopoly. Ya, rigidly alternating double headers between CBS/FOX makes it simple accounting - but screws everybody from fans to advertisers.

How about this: allow the fans to decide which three games they want televised in their market. Open it up to any game playing during time slot. Let fans weigh-in a few weeks in advance. Why not maximize viewer interest?

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 12:27 PM

A lot of people have a limited entertainment budget. Lots of people only have interest in watching 2 or 3 games, max, per week. Doesn't mean they don't love their 2 or 3 games.

Sunday ticket is a niche for football fans with lots of time, money and interest. I'll bet 10% or less of population will ever buy that package.

Joemailman
12-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Didn't realize you work for the NFL Marketing Department.

mraynrand
12-20-2015, 12:44 PM

I agree, up to a point. These package deals force you buy all kinds of things you don't want for very high prices. But that's how supply/demand works. When the demand is very high, the guys selling it can name their prices.

NFL Sunday ticket with all the bells and whistles is the cost of two good face value tickets or one decent ticket to a high demand game.

mraynrand
12-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Didn't realize you work for the NFL Marketing Department.

when you own the NFL, you can give it away for free.

Joemailman
12-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Most teams are playing in stadiums financed partially, if not fully, by taxpayers. It's not free.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I agree, up to a point. These package deals force you buy all kinds of things you don't want for very high prices. But that's how supply/demand works. When the demand is very high, the guys selling it can name their prices.

NFL Sunday ticket with all the bells and whistles is the cost of two good face value tickets or one decent ticket to a high demand game.

If it was available from multiple channels I'd consider it. I had it back in the day, now I'd rather watch Redzone more anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Or 50 nights of sloppy bliss with your mom, back in the day.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 01:45 PM
when you own the NFL, you can give it away for free.

I don't begrudge the NFL offering an all-games product for whatever the market will bear. But if they are force-feeding the fans lousy games on TV to increase the value of their premium package, that's abuse of their monopoly position. I'm not sure that is the case, likely it is just inertia and a lack of imagination that perpetuates the current idiot system of picking games to televise.

I said before that the NFL All-Game package is suitable for about 10% of population. Probably it is more like 2%.

Why am I not watching the Bears-Vikings game right now? Why, Dear God, Why!?

Maxie the Taxi
12-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Cam Newton is the real deal.

Rutnstrut
12-20-2015, 02:12 PM
It works pretty good for me. I get all the Minneapolis/St.paul stations and the Western/southern WI stations. So I have the Vikings/Bears game early on one the MN Fox station, then will get the Packers later on the WI Fox station. I also have NFL network and ESPN, so no shortage of football here.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Dear Rutnstrut

Fuck you.

Rutnstrut
12-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Dear Rutnstrut

Fuck you.

If it makes you feel any better I have been watching more of the Colts/Texans game than the Vikings/Bears game.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Dear Rutnstrut

Fuck you.

You missed "Love HH" at the end.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 02:25 PM
If it makes you feel any better I have been watching more of the Colts/Texans game than the Vikings/Bears game.

I'm sure it's closer than this blowout.

denverYooper
12-20-2015, 02:28 PM
OBJ and Norman are losing their minds. This is a straight up fight at this point.

red
12-20-2015, 02:29 PM
OBJ and Norman are losing their minds. This is a straight up fight at this point.

refs need to lose their jobs after letting this shit go on

beckham could have just killed norman or ended his career on that last cheapshot

should have been an ejection, no question about it

Rutnstrut
12-20-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm sure it's closer than this blowout.

Yup, 10 -6 Colts. The only reason I am watching it is to watch Hasselbeck. I'm pulling for him not just because he was a Packer, but he's old and a tough SOB. Playing through pain doesn't seem to be the norm in the new pussified NFL.

deake
12-20-2015, 02:40 PM

I have the Sunday Ticket and am impressed with being able to see 8 different commericals at one time.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 02:41 PM
refs need to lose their jobs after letting this shit go on

beckham could have just killed norman or ended his career on that last cheapshot

should have been an ejection, no question about it

Sounds like it.....Beckham is a great great WR but I can't say I'm a huge fan....dude seems like an ass.

Rutnstrut
12-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Seems like refs have been really lax on calling helmet to helmet hits this year.

red
12-20-2015, 02:55 PM
the head ref is standing there watching as a giant takes two or three steps after cam throws the ball and dives right into the side of his knee

no flag, giants block the FG attempt

horrible officiating

denverYooper
12-20-2015, 02:57 PM
I have the Sunday Ticket and am impressed with being able to see 8 different commericals at one time.

Nothing like paying for a service and having to watch advertising. I know it is because the service basically gives you access to all of the broadcast feeds but I've been spoiled by a la carte television.

denverYooper
12-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Panthers are trying to keep the Giants in this game.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Ginats-Panthers is turning into a barn burner.

Maxie the Taxi
12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Ginats-Panthers is turning into a barn burner.Wow. What happened? Turnovers?

Rastak
12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Tyrod Taylor has had some really nice throws today despite the ass kicking.

Rastak
12-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Wow. What happened? Turnovers?

Not sure, was watching the Vikings beat the Bears soundly....

red
12-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Wow. What happened? Turnovers?

yup

total momentum swing after ODB SHOULD have been ejected and wasn't.

both teams are turning the ball over, but the giants are the only ones moving the ball

Maxie the Taxi
12-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Jason Pierre Paul's club should really be outlawed. Makes his arm about 8 inches longer.

red
12-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Jason Pierre Paul's club should really be outlawed. Makes his arm about 8 inches longer.

yeah, but its all padding, not much he can do with that extra length

pbmax
12-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Cost is higher because of exclusivity. You'd get more options if it was more widely distributed.

Bossman641
12-20-2015, 05:39 PM
I just wish I could purchase individual games. I'd pay 10/15 a game to watch at home rather than go to a bar

Rastak
12-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Steelers may have just fucked it up.....

mraynrand
12-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Cost is higher because of exclusivity. You'd get more options if it was more widely distributed.

yeah, that's the game they're playing. Keep it exclusive and jack up prices demand carry alongs, or split it up and have wider distribution at lower costs. Eventually, it's gonna get broken up. Look what's happening to ESPN as cable gets replaced with streaming. Moving towards al la carte.

Pugger
12-21-2015, 06:19 AM

I see suspensions and fines coming for both.

Smidgeon
12-21-2015, 09:23 AM
In dual markets, you sometimes only get one game each if one team is in the morning and another the second game. So dual market teams actually get less football on Sundays.