PDA

View Full Version : Oakland duds & studs

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 07:19 PM
stud: Clay Matthews was active
duds: I've lost confidence in Adams. He wasn't terrible, but he is not much of a starter

Starks was both stud and dud. That counts as a bad fumble.

Joemailman
12-20-2015, 07:23 PM
James Jones was a stud.

Peppers was a stud.

Adams is a dud.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Still no praise for Cobb. Shameful.

Tony Oday
12-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Dud Lacy. He just would not hit a hole, he ran sideways the whole time.

Joemailman
12-20-2015, 07:34 PM

More dud than stud. That fumble was a 10 point turnaround.

I thought Neal was a stud.

pbmax
12-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Neal actually showed up positively instead of being run around at end. His cleanest effort in a while.

Matthews nearly killed two tackles on bull rushes that started a bad chain of events for Carr. +2 assists.

Magic Abby. Stud. Still not concussed.

Bretsky
12-20-2015, 09:07 PM
stud:
duds: I've lost confidence in Adams. He wasn't terrible, but he is not much of a starter

Finally Seeing the Light

beveaux1
12-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Studs- Offensive and defensive in-game adjustments. After a first half with less than 100 yards of offense and no scoring drive longer than 18 yards, the offense put together 4 consecutive scoring drives to start the second half and no punts throughout the half. The defense changed from single high man to 2 high man after the last Cooper touchdown. Oakland had, I believe, only 4 first downs for the remainder of the game. For those who believe they can't adjust, these were excellent adjustments.

Duds- Offensive game plan to start the game and, or execution.

Janis on the offensive side---I can see why he doesn't play on offense.

Bossman641
12-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Duds - anyone with a drop today. This offense is not good enough to overcome shooting itself in the foot

yetisnowman
12-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Studs-Peppers, Neal, Hyde, Burnett. The defense as a whole did great late in the game when it mattered.
Starks- yes his fumble was huge. But he ran with purpose the entire game.
Duds-Lacy, running passively and going lateral instead of planting his foot and driving forward as we needed him to do. Adams, act like you want to make a play. Rich rod- catch the ball. Aaron Rodgers- clearly we are not super skilled offensively.Any time one of our pedestrian receivers break free or the defender falls down, put the damn ball where it needs to be.

Smidgeon
12-21-2015, 01:03 AM
Studs
Julius Peppers - 2.5 sacks
James Jones - a WR with a good day, surprisingly
Randall Cobb - a RB making some things happen
Derek Carr's eyeliner - definitely a good look for a young player

Duds
The announcers - I assume Ronde Barber was a brilliant player to have such an illustrious career, but he talks in clichés as if he's never seen a snap before; also the mispronunciation of the Packers' names was painful--they need to do more pre-game studying.

Pugger
12-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Stud = Bulaga. He kept Mack away from Rodgers after an early sack.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Studs- Offensive and defensive in-game adjustments. After a first half with less than 100 yards of offense and no scoring drive longer than 18 yards, the offense put together 4 consecutive scoring drives to start the second half and no punts throughout the half. The defense changed from single high man to 2 high man after the last Cooper touchdown. Oakland had, I believe, only 4 first downs for the remainder of the game. For those who believe they can't adjust, these were excellent adjustments.

good observations. After Cooper was eating Randall's lunch early, I was wondering when they'd help him out. Did the Packers not see in their film study that the Raiders are a passing team?

Janis on the offensive side---I can see why he doesn't play on offense. Route running. See Rodger's comment about Abracadabra.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Stud, honorable mention = Soggy field that helped neutralize Mack pass rush.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 06:39 AM
. Aaron Rodgers- clearly we are not super skilled offensively.Any time one of our pedestrian receivers break free or the defender falls down, put the damn ball where it needs to be.

Rocket balls to poor receivers in the rain is also not a good idea.

Fritz
12-21-2015, 07:26 AM
stud: Clay Matthews was active

I can already imagine the stories next summer: Adams got overconfident after the praise from OTA's, then he got hurt, then it all got into his head, then it snowballed.

But he's learned a big and painful lesson, etc. etc. New year, going to show what he's really about. Rebuilding trust with Aaron.

Man, if you're a Packer beat writer you can write this story now and just post it next July.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 07:30 AM

This. Might have been his best pass blocking game of the season.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 07:30 AM
I can already imagine the stories next summer: Adams got overconfident after the praise from OTA's, then he got hurt, then it all got into his head, then it snowballed.

But he's learned a big and painful lesson, etc. etc. New year, going to show what he's really about. Rebuilding trust with Aaron.

Man, if you're a Packer beat writer you can write this story now and just post it next July.

You need a family tragedy and we can get it in Sports Illustrated.

Fritz
12-21-2015, 07:53 AM
We will find out after the season that he had a cousin he was close to be diagnosed with cancer.

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Stud: Bulaga as mentioned above did a nice job on Mack the entire day, in fact the one sack that was given up was when Bulaga pushed Mack past Rodgers. Mack fell down and Rodgers vacated the pocket and Mack made an outstanding play to get Rodgers.

Stud: Peppers, who knew the guy had 9.5 sacks this year. He does a really nice job rushing from the interior and collapsing the pocket from either the 3 tech, or the 5 tech. He isn't much from the OLB position any more but still has that quick first step when he is in a three point.

Stud: James Jones, a very solid day against the team that cut him. It wasn't a great performance, but it was solid in the reasoning that he was actually able to hold on to the football.

Stud: John Kuhn, he is productive on that quick trap. Seems to be the only running play that consistently gets this team 3+ yards every time they run it, although his dropped screen pass was going to go.

Duds: Devonte Adams, I am beating a dead horse. Maybe Packer fan is expecting too much for the second year player. He had a nice rookie season and he sure hasn't improved on it but he is also carrying more responsibility this year which could demonstrate why he was a second round pick to begin with, and that he is a raw player that isn't ready to be the second option in the passing game.

Duds: Eddie Lacy, if he doesn't get his carries right away it seems he becomes unproductive for the entire game.

Duds: Clay Mathews, zero tackles at middle linebacker, he didn't register one hurry or one knockdown. He missed a tackle for a 5 yard loss and then missed the tackle again on the same play. I noticed one poster saying he should be a stud because he blew up an offensive tackle on two different plays but that doesn't launch him into the stud category by any means. Compare him to Ryan, Ryan attacked the line of scrimmage on run downs and had 7 tackles. He had his mistakes but at least he showed up as the tackling leader for the Packers.

Duds: Deonte Jones, Just doesn't show anything struggles to hold the point of attack, gets out of position on a regular basis.

Adams seemed to get open several times on underneath crossing routes and it was like Rodgers just ignored him. on 4th and 2 Rodgers had Cobb open when his defender fell down Rodger didn't find him until Cobb was 20 yards down field. Luckily the Packers got a PI call against the Raiders. Rodgers just isn't seeing the field like he has in past seasons. Argue with me all you want but his stats demonstrate this.

Cheesehead Craig
12-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Dud: NFL Broadcasting Rules for not showing the bleeping game in MN.

Joemailman
12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Yeah, they'll all be writing it. He does look to me right now like a guy who's lost his confidence. I don't see him getting it back this year. I guess we'll find out if he's the kind of guy who can put a bad season behind him. They'll probably be writing that story too.

Cheesehead Craig
12-21-2015, 08:31 AM
The story with Adams will also say how Jordy being back will help out Adams to be better prepared. Show him how a veteran goes about his business.

We'll also hear about how Montgomery will be looking to prove himself after getting hurt. He's more aware of how to avoid injury and will just want to be available to make plays.

Abby will have a new oversized helmet designed by Steve Tasker to reduce his chances of concussions.

And Favre will say this is the most talented Packer team he's ever seen.

Fritz
12-21-2015, 08:52 AM
The story with Adams will also say how Jordy being back will help out Adams to be better prepared. Show him how a veteran goes about his business.

We'll also hear about how Montgomery will be looking to prove himself after getting hurt. He's more aware of how to avoid injury and will just want to be available to make plays.

Abby will have a new oversized helmet designed by Steve Tasker to reduce his chances of concussions.

And Favre will say this is the most talented Packer team he's ever seen.

We know our team. And the media that covers it.

hoosier
12-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Play calling at the end was very strange: why pass when you have a chance to run the clock down and make any comeback impossible? The drop by Kuhn and the horrible decision by Rodgers compounded the weirdness.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 10:12 AM
Play calling at the end was very strange: why pass when you have a chance to run the clock down and make any comeback impossible? The drop by Kuhn and the horrible decision by Rodgers compounded the weirdness.

I don't mind the pass call given the realities of running yesterday and the 4 minute offense in general. A first down will deprive the Raiders of their timeouts and make 2 scores nigh impossible. However, the choice of throw which was made when he escaped right out of the pocket, was bad. He should have run for whatever he could get and go down. Bleed more clock and kick a FG.

And despite the return of Starks fumbling, I want him out there in the 4 minute offense with a FB because he can burrow through a plugged hole for 3 yards. He, unlike Lacy, gives you a fighting chance for a 1st down by running 3 straight times. If Lacy doesn't see a hole when he gets the ball, all bets are off.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 10:16 AM

He's just got to get one of Rodger's helmets.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/3484526.jpg

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 10:17 AM
If Lacy doesn't see a hole when he gets the ball, all bets are off.

Can't they get that fixed?

Tony Oday
12-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Neal actually showed up positively instead of being run around at end. His cleanest effort in a while.

Matthews nearly killed two tackles on bull rushes that started a bad chain of events for Carr. +2 assists.

Magic Abby. Stud. Still not concussed.

Who thought he was going to get hurt when he was knocked down on the sideline?

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 10:29 AM

right here

Rutnstrut
12-21-2015, 10:47 AM

I thought that would be the hit that forced his retirement. I expect him to break in half every time he is tackled, but that sideline knockdown was probably worse than any game action he's seen this season.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Abby is like Terry Glenn, without the crazy.

Harlan Huckleby
12-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Who thought Abby would play a down for the Packers this season after his month-long butt concussion?

As you recall, McGinn's Famous Unnamed Scout rated Abby a "brown". He wasn't even yellow. Worst player on team, including all the slugs that were cut early.

To me, Abby will always be "Brownie." And all I can say about yesterday is, "Heck of a job, Brownie."

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Who thought Abby would play a down for the Packers this season after his month-long butt concussion?

As you recall, McGinn's Famous Unnamed Scout rated Abby a "brown". He wasn't even yellow. Worst player on team, including all the slugs that were cut early.

To me, Abby will always be "Brownie." And all I can say about yesterday is, "Heck of a job, Brownie."

That was too much work for that set-up, considering you probably say "heckuva job, brownie" every time you Davenport.

hoosier
12-21-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't mind the pass call given the realities of running yesterday and the 4 minute offense in general. A first down will deprive the Raiders of their timeouts and make 2 scores nigh impossible. However, the choice of throw which was made when he escaped right out of the pocket, was bad. He should have run for whatever he could get and go down. Bleed more clock and kick a FG.

And despite the return of Starks fumbling, I want him out there in the 4 minute offense with a FB because he can burrow through a plugged hole for 3 yards. He, unlike Lacy, gives you a fighting chance for a 1st down by running 3 straight times. If Lacy doesn't see a hole when he gets the ball, all bets are off.

I would have thunk that after Kuhn dropped that screen, which was set up to go, MM would have packed it in and run the ball three straight times. At that point the only way the Raiders could have gotten the ball back with less than :30 left was for the Packers to score a TD or turn it over. Based on Rodgers's recent demeanor I cannot help but wonder if he changed the play and threw it up for grabs just to spite MM. I don't think he intentionally threw it to the defenders but I wonder if he didn't go rogue in the playcalling.

Joemailman
12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I would have thunk that after Kuhn dropped that screen, which was set up to go, MM would have packed it in and run the ball three straight times. At that point the only way the Raiders could have gotten the ball back with less than :30 left was for the Packers to score a TD or turn it over. Based on Rodgers's recent demeanor I cannot help but wonder if he changed the play and threw it up for grabs just to spite MM. I don't think he intentionally threw it to the defenders but I wonder if he didn't go rogue in the playcalling.

If that's the case, that would be a problem. His demeanor in the PC when asked about it was strange. For Arod to joke about an interception is completely out of character. I am starting to worry a little bit about the relationship between the two. Last year Arod was visibly upset in his PC following the NFCC game about the playcalling at the end. I wonder if things have carried over to this year a bit. Tension between the two is one thing, defiance is something else.

Rutnstrut
12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
If that's the case, that would be a problem. His demeanor in the PC when asked about it was strange. For Arod to joke about an interception is completely out of character. I am starting to worry a little bit about the relationship between the two. Last year Arod was visibly upset in his PC following the NFCC game about the playcalling at the end. I wonder if things have carried over to this year a bit. Tension between the two is one thing, defiance is something else.

Maybe there is something to what I was alluding to in another thread about Rodgers being part of the problem when they seem to go away from the run. Maybe stubby calls passing plays so much to keep a petulant Rodgers happy.

Pugger
12-22-2015, 10:05 AM

The team keeping him around tells me they love his work ethic and his knack for getting open and being where he is supposed to be running great routes. Janis' struggles with this must drive his coaches crazy because Jeff has athletic ability coming out of his ears.

mraynrand
12-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Packers should use Janis like they used Bradford in 1998 - just straight up fly/go routes from time to time. He's open you might get a TD. Might get interference. Make a play or two and the defense would be forced to adjust.

Maxie the Taxi
12-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Packers should use Janis like they used Bradford in 1998 - just straight up fly/go routes from time to time. He's open you might get a TD. Might get interference. Make a play or two and the defense would be forced to adjust.Amen!

Janis ought to be able to run that route. All the coaches have to do is make sure he "goes" in the right direction.

pbmax
12-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Amen!

Janis ought to be able to run that route. All the coaches have to do is make sure he "goes" in the right direction.

And doesn't slow down unless he sees the ball coming in short.

deake
12-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but did any of our beat writers have the balls to ask MM why the ill fated pass at the end of the game?

pbmax
12-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Bennett got that question, its in the More Banjo thread for the game.