PDA

View Full Version : Use of four wide receivers against Oakland

Patler
12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Many of the articles this morning have discussed the Packers use of four wide receivers in the second half. Having Cobb in the backfield and Abrederis in the slot is being credited for the turnaround of the offense in the second half.

Before he was injured, Montgomery was being used in the backfield. Looking forward, how much better will this alignment be with Montgomery in the backfield, where he likely poses more of a running threat then Cobb does, and Cobb in the slot where he is probably more dangerous than Abrederis is?

Cheesehead Craig
12-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Many of the articles this morning have discussed the Packers use of four wide receivers in the second half. Having Cobb in the backfield and Abrederis in the slot is being credited for the turnaround of the offense in the second half.

Before he was injured, Montgomery was being used in the backfield. Looking forward, how much better will this alignment be with Montgomery in the backfield, where he likely poses more of a running threat then Cobb does, and Cobb in the slot where he is probably more dangerous than Abrederis is?
It will all look better when Jordy is out there next year.

I just don't think Ty is going to make it back this season short of the ghost of Reggie White coming and healing his ankle.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 10:01 AM
It will all look better when Jordy is out there next year.

I just don't think Ty is going to make it back this season short of the ghost of Reggie White coming and healing his ankle.

I think if they thought he couldn't come back, they would have IRed him already. There's still three weeks until the WC round, four for the Divisional. That's almost three months from the injury, not counting re-aggravation(s).

Bossman641
12-21-2015, 10:06 AM

The real question is how long you can rely on that type of offense. You can't expose Cobb or Montgomery to injury like that and have them be your full time RB.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 10:10 AM
The real question is how long you can rely on that type of offense. You can't expose Cobb or Montgomery to injury like that and have them be your full time RB.

handful of plays for Cobb; Monty can probably take more punishment - so long as it's not his ankle.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Cobb gets a lot of attention even when he is in the slot. And he does not excel on getting open right away unless its a bubble screen. He is vastly more effective in the scramble drill.

I would love to see Magical Abby and Cobb in the slot, with Monty as RB in that formation.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2015, 10:40 AM
I think we need to run more four wides, but more with Cobb spread out. Our strength right now may be our two slot guys (Cobb, Abby). We need to find a way to keep them both on the field.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
I think we need to run more four wides, but more with Cobb spread out. Our strength right now may be our two slot guys (Cobb, Abby). We need to find a way to keep them both on the field.

I think part of the appeal of 4 wide with Cobb in the backfield is that it forces the Defense to put in a dime defense or cover Cobb with a LB (or cover someone with a LB). It might be the lone matchup problem the Packers offense is causing right now.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 12:11 PM
I think part of the appeal of 4 wide with Cobb in the backfield is that it forces the Defense to put in a dime defense or cover Cobb with a LB (or cover someone with a LB). It might be the lone matchup problem the Packers offense is causing right now.

Speaking of LBs on Cobb, The Packers did a Three WR stack with Cobb in the trail position. The Raiders sent the LB directly at the trail man, right off the snap and defensed it perfectly. It occurred to me that the way to destroy that defense is to run a TE out right where the LB is coming from, but the Packer never revisited that formation with a TE if I recall. Unless someone else saw it.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Speaking of LBs on Cobb, The Packers did a Three WR stack with Cobb in the trail position. The Raiders sent the LB directly at the trail man, right off the snap and defensed it perfectly. It occurred to me that the way to destroy that defense is to run a TE out right where the LB is coming from, but the Packer never revisited that formation with a TE if I recall. Unless someone else saw it.

I hope they continue to run that as its does free someone up with off coverage. I also agree, if they catch that LB on film, they will be able to burn the gap the guy leaves.

Fritz
12-21-2015, 01:02 PM
It's funny. Maybe going to the four wides was the necessary adjustment, yet it might also be what Arod was referring to when he said the offense had no identity.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 01:08 PM
It's funny. Maybe going to the four wides was the necessary adjustment, yet it might also be what Arod was referring to when he said the offense had no identity.

With no overwhelming physical advantage (Nelson is gone, O Line too beat up and Lacy having an existential crisis hamper power run game) the Packers have to play matchup on offense to win.

Side note to say that one reason the vaunted halftime adjustments are over-rated is because they are most beneficial to mediocre teams.

All of which points to a season where the Packers will not be able to impose their will on offense. They need to adjust their mindset.

King Friday
12-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I think if they thought he couldn't come back, they would have IRed him already.

Appears they just did. I think he had a setback and it was becoming evident he wasn't going to get back to a point where he could contribute this year.

mraynrand
12-21-2015, 05:03 PM
^^^ That's for Q.

Joemailman
12-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Appears they just did. I think he had a setback and it was becoming evident he wasn't going to get back to a point where he could contribute this year.

Good. Don't want to jeopardize a promising young player. It's become fairly obvious they don't really have a handle on the severity of his injury.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, the running game probably gets better. Not sure about the passing game.

Joemailman
12-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Well, the running game probably gets better. Not sure about the passing game.

Q might be able to challenge the seams a bit more than Dickrod does. He'll probably replace Fluffy Perillo on the active roster, and should be a bit of an upgrade.

pbmax
12-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah, but Fluffy has soft hands. Quarless has 5W-30 on his.