PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Gordon to IR

Patler
12-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Reports are Melvin Gordon will be placed on IR with a knee injury, although the seriousness is unclear. Didn't have the rookie season some predicted:

Rushing:
184/641 3.5 yd average. 0 TDs. Longest run 27 yds.

Receiving:
33/192 5.8 yd average. 0TDs. Longest - 18 yards

Perhaps most concerning:
6 fumbles in 217 touches. That's one fumble every 36 touches.

Joemailman
12-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Well, he certainly isn't the first outstanding Badger RB who did not transfer well to the NFL. However, I think the Chargers OL is pretty bad, so maybe he's not as bad as his numbers. Time will tell.

Patler
12-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Well, he certainly isn't the first outstanding Badger RB who did not transfer well to the NFL. However, I think the Chargers OL is pretty bad, so maybe he's not as bad as his numbers. Time will tell.

Or maybe his Badger lines were so good that he wasn't as good as his college numbers. :)

In all seriousness, that seems to be a recurring story with Badger RBs. There has been a steady stream, each seemingly as good as the last while in Madison, each as unsuccessful as the last when they get to the pros.

Zool
12-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Michael Bennett had a good career as did Fletcher. Not amazing but good.

Fosco33
12-21-2015, 06:42 PM
The fumbles are most shocking. He didn't fumble much in college. He had 300+ carries before his first college fumble.

Patler
12-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Michael Bennett had a good career as did Fletcher. Not amazing but good.

Ya, Bennett had the one huge year with the vikings. Other than that, he and Fletcher were Starks-like, many of their years. Ron Dayne was also similar over his career. They all managed to have careers longer than average, but among all three, only Bennett had the one big year.

Patler
12-21-2015, 09:09 PM
The fumbles are most shocking. He didn't fumble much in college. He had 300+ carries before his first college fumble.

Did he ever actually get hit in college?? Seems like he scored everytime he carried the ball!

Bretsky
12-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Very disappointed in Gordon. I know his OL sucked. But with that being said, he pretty much made NOBODY miss. A big time RB has to at least occasionally do that so you don't end up averaging 3.5 yards per carry.

Hope to see huge improvement next year; would not surprise me if he bounces back and is fine. But at this point............YUK

Carolina_Packer
12-21-2015, 11:15 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_in_the_NFL_Draft

It's so hard to project college to pro. Plenty of "can't misses" who were just misses. I though Ron Dayne would be much more successful in the NFL than he turned out to be. I had forgotten that Ira Matthews was on a Raiders Super Bowl team. He was fun player to watch.

Zool
12-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Very disappointed in Gordon. I know his OL sucked. But with that being said, he pretty much made NOBODY miss. A big time RB has to at least occasionally do that so you don't end up averaging 3.5 yards per carry.

Hope to see huge improvement next year; would not surprise me if he bounces back and is fine. But at this point............YUK

Actually he was breaking tackles at a very good pace through October.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/30/9632116/nfl-running-backs-devonta-freeman-todd-gurley-carlos-hyde-melvin-gordon

We'll see what the end of year numbers look like, but about half way through he was doing well.

Maxie the Taxi
12-22-2015, 10:38 AM
I've watched a few Chargers games this year. It's Gordon's bad luck to be drafted by them. Their OLine sucks due to injuries, I think, and, basically, the only reason they handoff to Gordon is to give Rivers' arm a rest.

Striker
12-22-2015, 10:40 AM
The Chargers o-line is terrible. And I've read that some think that Gordon is misused in their scheme right now.

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2015, 10:50 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_in_the_NFL_Draft

It's so hard to project college to pro. Plenty of "can't misses" who were just misses. I though Ron Dayne would be much more successful in the NFL than he turned out to be. I had forgotten that Ira Matthews was on a Raiders Super Bowl team. He was fun player to watch.

Ron Dayne was 20 years too late for the NFL.

I think Gordon will bounce back next year when the team plays in LA.

mraynrand
12-22-2015, 12:18 PM
I've watched a few Chargers games this year. It's Gordon's bad luck to be drafted by them. Their OLine sucks due to injuries, I think, and, basically, the only reason they handoff to Gordon is to give Rivers' arm a rest.

Rivers is like Legolas back there - his arm is semi-automatic.

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Rivers is like Legolas back there - his arm is semi-automatic.

Not nearly as dreamy though