PDA

View Full Version : Jordy dismissers: Day of Reckoning

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2015, 04:24 PM
When Jordy Nelson went down, a lot of people said it was no big deal - Aaron Rodgers is so good he'd find a way to keep things humming at high level.

I think it is time for a confessional of sorts; clear your conscience before the new year. Say a Hail Mary, or a Rastaman chant, wash some dishes, or whatever you need to do for penance. But most importantly, stepping forward and admitting your mistake is the start of any healing process.

I'll start if off and speak for Bob McGinn since he is not here, "I greatly misjudged the value of a top receiver, and misunderstood that the other guys are so much shittier."

OK, who's next. Don't want to mention names. King Friday?

Joemailman
12-26-2015, 05:51 PM
It's been worse than I thought it would be. I knew they wouldn't be as explosive an offense, but I thought they's be able to grind out drives. Like a lot of people, including MM and Arod, I thought Adams would really step up. His failure has been huge. I also thought Monty would be a good 3-4, but he's been hurt. Missing Jordy is part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28035-Jordy-Replacement&highlight=jordy+nelson

I think it will be Adams. Cobb, Adams and Montgomery all have similar speed, but Adams' athleticism will make him the top threat. Janis is the fastest, but won't be on the field enough to be the top threat.

mraynrand
12-26-2015, 06:02 PM
If everything else had been OK, perhaps the impact would have been much less. O-line and WR injuries and Lacy (fat) questionable throw the whole thing up into the air.

But yes, certainly with Nelson healthy, the Packers would be much better off.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't think anybody came close to predicting how the receivers would work out. I predicted Montgomery heroics. God smote Montgomery to put me in my place.

Pugger
12-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Losing Jordy really hurt but what killed us was Adams playing hurt and losing Ty for most the year. Cobb also had issues earlier. Even when Jordy returns we still need a speedy WR to stretch the field and a TE that can actually run and block so we don't end up in this predicament again.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Losing Jordy really hurt but what killed us was Adams playing

couldn't resist a little selective quoting

pbmax
12-26-2015, 07:15 PM
If everything else had been OK, perhaps the impact would have been much less. O-line and WR injuries and Lacy (fat) questionable throw the whole thing up into the air.

But yes, certainly with Nelson healthy, the Packers would be much better off.

What this man says. You can't point O line injuries and Eddie Lacy's existential crisis on Nelson. Did Nelson injure Quarless too?

Remember the Packer offense versus the 49ers and Seahawks D of past years, Jordy could be contained by Cover 2 man.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2015, 07:43 PM
You can't point O line injuries and Eddie Lacy's existential crisis on Nelson.

The O-line has only had to go one-deep into backups for most games. They lost nobody to season ending injury. This is just the ordinary injury situation, nothing unusual.

Eddie LAcy? OK. Starks has been relatively healthy, each has had some decent games.
Packers are a passing team, that is how their O-line is built.

pbmax
12-26-2015, 07:50 PM
The O-line has only had to go one-deep into backups for most games. They lost nobody to season ending injury. This is just the ordinary injury situation, nothing unusual.

Eddie LAcy? OK. Starks has been relatively healthy, each has had some decent games.
Packers are a passing team, that is how their O-line is built.

If they had roughly the same running game as last year, they offense would look much better.

There would still be no Cover 2 because no Jordy, but it would keep the team in favorable down and distance. The injuries are perhaps of the ordinary variety (thought it cost both Linsley and Bualga several games). But I struggle to recall one game, let alone a 3 game stretch where each starter was missing practice and on the injury report. Their fourth backup tackle had to finish a game and twice they have had no backup lineman left in a game. Looks like 2011 out except instead of playing a Guard out at tackle, the Guards have been injured.

Rutnstrut
12-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Edited by admin due to stupidity.

smuggler
12-27-2015, 04:37 AM
I don't think anyone was expecting the deep game to completely disappear. It crippled the offense.

Pugger
12-27-2015, 08:12 AM
What this man says. You can't point O line injuries and Eddie Lacy's existential crisis on Nelson. Did Nelson injure Quarless too?

Remember the Packer offense versus the 49ers and Seahawks D of past years, Jordy could be contained by Cover 2 man.

But the attention Jordy got from defenses opened up things for others. It is no coincidence Cobb isn't the same player without Jordy out there.

red
12-27-2015, 08:14 AM
is anybody actually still discounting Jordy? i din't think so

if anything, jordy being out has shown us that HE is probably the MVP of this team

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2015, 10:59 AM
if anything, jordy being out has shown us that HE is probably the MVP of this team

I like how you capitalize His pronoun just like when we refer to Jesus.
Jordy. Jesus.

I think we should exchange presents on the day of the birth of the baby Jordy child. Hang football shoes on the fireplace.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2015, 11:01 AM
is anybody actually still discounting Jordy?

I don't think pbmax is saved.

mraynrand
12-27-2015, 11:09 AM
But the attention Jordy got from defenses opened up things for others. It is no coincidence Cobb isn't the same player without Jordy out there.

We agree with you. The thing is there are other factors crippling the offense. Losing Nelson just makes it worse. He's the most significant loss in a collection of losses and failures.

pbmax
12-27-2015, 12:31 PM
We agree with you. The thing is there are other factors crippling the offense. Losing Nelson just makes it worse. He's the most significant loss in a collection of losses and failures.

I would say his loss probably has the effect of changing the offense more than any other issue. Only Rodgers' struggles come close to altering the offense like not being able to go deep.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Edited by admin due to stupidity.

Don't beat yourself up.

Joemailman
12-27-2015, 06:40 PM
I would say his loss probably has the effect of changing the offense more than any other issue. Only Rodgers' struggles come close to altering the offense like not being able to go deep.

I think Nelson's play last year disguised the fact that the Packers WR corp had really declined. He kept a lot of drives alive with incredible catches when no one was open

smuggler
12-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I guess the answer may be to shotgun approach the WR position in the draft.

pbmax
12-27-2015, 06:49 PM
I guess the answer may be to shotgun approach the WR position in the draft.

Like the 3 DB draft of 1999?

Maxie the Taxi
12-27-2015, 06:52 PM
I really do think the draft won't be the answer. We've got too many holes to shore up. For once TT has to test the FA waters.

pbmax
12-27-2015, 06:52 PM
I think Nelson's play last year disguised the fact that the Packers WR corp had really declined. He kept a lot of drives alive with incredible catches when no one was open

I agree to a point, though we all saw the offense stall versus good Defenses who could stop Jordy and Cobb last year. Adams was notable in that he actually provided relief from that against 2 or 3 very good defenses in 2014.

But this year he couldn't just be good for a handful of games. He had to be a #2 guy. And he hasn't been able to do it. So Packers lost their #1 and their #3 basically.

denverYooper
12-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Or Jordy comes back healthy, Montgomery gets healthy and develops, and one of Abbredaris or Janis becomes a player. Their WR corps could look a lot better with some health.

A stud TE would help.

Rutnstrut
12-27-2015, 06:54 PM
I really do think the draft won't be the answer. We've got too many holes to shore up. For once TT has to test the FA waters.

That will not happen, and even if TT were willing to go after FA's. it's too late to fill all the holes.

Rutnstrut
12-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Or Jordy comes back healthy, Montgomery gets healthy and develops, and one of Abbredaris or Janis becomes a player. Their WR corps could look a lot better with some health.

A stud TE would help.

Just a solid TE would help.

pbmax
12-27-2015, 06:56 PM
This was the best team in football at the end of last year. It hasn't fallen that far. But they do need to sort out the offense's skill position players while people are getting healthy. That is not an easy task. A lot of projections.

woodbuck27
12-28-2015, 01:18 PM
When we lost Jordy nelson...'of course' that was a blow....but that's the adversity that any contending NFL needs to have the answer to.

It's clear now that we have issues on both sides of the ball.

A)We're not strong in the secondary and thus vulnerable to the most talented QB's .

B) Our rushing attack is affected by a less than desired OL.

C) See above...and the OL being the KEY to solid Offensive options mixing the pass with the rush.

D) I want a stouter DL.

TT is running out of time and Aaron Rodgers. That writing is too clearly on his wall. TT has a load to handle and that began sometine right after the loss to the Chicago Bears. That loss was revealing.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

RashanGary
12-28-2015, 01:47 PM
I was wrong. Jordy and AR have special chemistry. Jordy was our only deep threat. It killed our offense.

woodbuck27
12-28-2015, 09:24 PM
I was wrong. Jordy and AR have special chemistry. Jordy was our only deep threat. It killed our offense.

For sure his boots weren't filled.

Opposition 'D's may now bunch in closer to the LOS. Besides our WR's run school yard routes.

whatever happened to:

Come back to the ball or your posted there and ARod is looking....break right or left?

Where is the imagination the color in our 'O'?

The Packers look like a loser now. They look uninspired.

Let's get real...who makes the Cash Cow of the entire Pay Roll. Is he GOD !?

If I'm a FA and played in Green Bay.... and have anything REAL to offer. I"m out of Green Bay ASAP.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Since most Rats, myself included, are too lazy to hold each other accountable via fact checking, I will proudly say that I predicted the disaster this offense would be without Jordy.

I knew.

Pugger
12-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Since most Rats, myself included, are too lazy to hold each other accountable via fact checking, I will proudly say that I predicted the disaster this offense would be without Jordy.

I knew.

:lol:

But most of us didn't know losing Jordy would be so devastating to our offense. We all thought/hoped the other guys could take up the slack but other teams really suffer when their #1 receiving threat is gone. For example Brady isn't the same without Gronk.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 10:02 AM
But I did. I knew. Go back and look up the post-injury posts I made.

No, wait. Don't.

To PB's point, there's something more stanky than just some talent deficiencies here and there, or Jordy's injury. This isn't an undermanned team fighting together. This is a bunch of individuals, at this point. And MM's comment about being sick of the negativity seems revealing.

Maybe MM 's schtick with this team is getting old? Maybe it's all getting stale? There is just no team chemistry here at all.

hoosier
12-29-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't think the general reaction here to Jordy's injury was all that ridiculous. I remember that someone, probably Harlan, started a poll about who would be the one to replace Nelson, and most people quite reasonably said it would be Adams. It would be ungenerous to assume that everyone was confidently predicting big things from Adams this year. The reality was (and still is) that the only hope for the Green Bay offense this year is for Adams to play a leading role. The extreme unlikeliness of that happening at this late date corresponds exactly with the Packers chances of winning a playoff game. I should also note (I did a quick search of the archive) that Mad Max started a poll in f'ing June asking whether Adams was going to be the next Boykin. His powers of prediction must be even greater than McGinn's were back in early 2010.

George Cumby
12-29-2015, 11:16 AM
But I did. I knew. Go back and look up the post-injury posts I made.

No, wait. Don't.

To PB's point, there's something more stanky than just some talent deficiencies here and there, or Jordy's injury. This isn't an undermanned team fighting together. This is a bunch of individuals, at this point. And MM's comment about being sick of the negativity seems revealing.

Maybe MM 's schtick with this team is getting old? Maybe it's all getting stale? There is just no team chemistry here at all.

Olivia Munn. She has poisoned ARod, fukked up his head and it's infecting the whole team.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 03:45 PM
If she had syphilis and fucked the whole team I would say she's infecting the whole team.

But Arod sure does seem to have gone from a-chip-on-his-shoulder-makes-him-even-better to annoyed-with-everyone-all-the-time.

Maybe Olivia Munn was Torrance Marshall's girlfriend all those years ago.

Maybe you're right after all.

Joemailman
12-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Olivia Munn. She has poisoned ARod, fukked up his head and it's infecting the whole team.

Stop her before it's too late!

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/beatles-yoko-window-1.jpg

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2015, 11:55 AM
http://businesswormhole.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/rising-tide-lifts-all-boats-false.jpg

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 12:22 PM
If she had syphilis and fucked the whole team I would say she's infecting the whole team.

Incorrect. Transmission rates are not 100%.

red
01-03-2016, 08:32 AM
so i just had a terrible thought

we;re all pretty much agreeing that the main problem with the offence is that we lost jordy and that the rest of our receivers are too slow to do it on their own

what if jordy loses half a step due to the injury and no longer has the speed to blow the top off defenses?

then we're really fucked

pbmax
01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Nothing stays the same red, that is why you should always draft a receiver in the 2nd round, and a QB/OL in the 4th and 5th rounds. No matter what.

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 09:27 AM
They have a tough decision to make regarding the WR position.

IF Jordy comes back 100%

and

IF Adams rebounds and becomes the player TT thought he drafted (He has a good track record here)

and

IF Monty recovers from a bad ankle injury to be the player he looked like early, this plus Cobb is a pretty good group.

It's a lot of IFS though.

Patler
01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
There is always the continued development of Abrederis and Janis, too.

To his credit, TT has been looking for the next Jordy Nelson, a big receiver who is fast, and a faster TE to replace Finley. In 2013 it was Charles Johnson. In 2014, it was Jeff Janis. In 2015, it was Kennard Backman (who had a 40 time faster than all but two TEs at the combine). There is still an opportunity for two of the three to pay off.

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 09:55 AM
There is always the continued development of Abrederis and Janis, too.

To his credit, TT has been looking for the next Jordy Nelson, a big receiver who is fast, and a faster TE to replace Finley. In 2013 it was Charles Johnson. In 2014, it was Jeff Janis. In 2015, it was Kennard Backman (who had a 40 time faster than all but two TEs at the combine). There is still an opportunity for two of the three to pay off.

But you're saying that TT has used 6th and 7th round picks to try to replace guys drafted in Rounds 2-3. Maybe that approach needs to change.

I wonder what the deal is with Backman. Has he just been so unable to grasp the offense that they won't even activate him? I was high on him early, but had thought he'd be contributing by now.

Patler
01-03-2016, 10:26 AM
But you're saying that TT has used 6th and 7th round picks to try to replace guys drafted in Rounds 2-3. Maybe that approach needs to change.

I wonder what the deal is with Backman. Has he just been so unable to grasp the offense that they won't even activate him? I was high on him early, but had thought he'd be contributing by now.

He hasn't only used low draft picks to fill those positions, he has also used higher picks. Jordy Nelson was drafted high in the second round (#36) Adams was lowermiddle second round (#53). Finley was drafted at #91, Richard Rodgers at #98. I mentioned Janis and Backman only because of the speed issue.

Unfortunately, you can't draft 2 or 3 guys in the first or second round every year. Once in a while, maybe. Many questioned why he drafted DBs at 1 and 2 this year. So far, those look like good choices, needed players. Clinton-Dix filled a big hole to, as did Lacy in spite of his struggles this year. For several years people questioned why he didn't use a high pick for a safety to replace Collins. When he found one he liked, he did. I suspect the same will be true with a big, fast WR and/or a fast TE.

mraynrand
01-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Nothing stays the same red, that is why you should always draft a receiver in the 2nd round, and a QB/OL in the 4th and 5th rounds. No matter what.

Red stays the same