PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Coaching & GM Carousel

pbmax
12-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Now LaCanfora has Elliot Wolf thinking about leaving, especially if the Browns are looking for a GM and his Dad consults for them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25428578/inside-football-whos-got-next-in-nfl-11-hot-coordinators-top-list

Hottest GM candidates

If the past holds, many of the most sought-after GM candidates will be content to stay where they are. Nick Caserio of the Patriots and Eric DeCosta of the Ravens certainly fit that description, but as the weeks have gone on I've become much more inclined to believe Eliot Wolf might actually be willing to leave Green Bay for the right job. I've continued to hear a strong buzz about him in Cleveland, among other places (many believe Wolf's father, Ron, will end up consulting for Haslam on the Browns' forthcoming overhaul) and the sense is he will at least explore several options, though the Packers are in his heart and blood.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Maybe that would be for the best. The Wolf/Thompson train maybe has run its course or run off the tracks or whatever in Green Bay. I am about ready to consider a whole different philosophy of team building - something beyond getting lucky with a superstar QB then just letting everything else slide as the team wins moderately but does not maximize things.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Some of the Detroit fans are worried that with the Lions' strong finish - winning five of their last seven - Martha Ford, the owner, will insist that any new GM she hires brings back Caldwell as coach. The new team president says otherwise, but you never know with the Ford family. If she does make that demand, I'd imagine you'd really be narrowing down your GM pool. what kind of GM would be okay with inheriting a coach not named Pete Carroll?

Joemailman
12-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Eagles fire Chip Kelly. Just 6 days away from Black Monday.:drma:

pbmax
01-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3h3 hours ago
Dallas HC Jason Garrett, the subject of some speculation, is expected to return to Cowboys to coach them in 2016, per league sources.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
#Browns coach Mike Pettine lost Jimmy Haslam's confidence. Example: To players losing to KC, he guaranteed victory. They rolled their eyes

Another Pettine example: Before 2nd #Bengals game, he told players Saturday night he might be getting fired & they hadn't done their part.

#Browns GM Ray Farmer may be fired without ever hiring a coach. Had 2 top picks forced on him: Manziel (Haslam's call), Gilbert (Pettine's)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44m44 minutes ago
#Chargers will consider all factors with Mike McCoy, taking the long view: Injuries, close losses, his overall record, the LA cloud

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 46m46 minutes ago
Discussed on @NFLGameDay: #Lions coach Jim Caldwell far safer than people realize. Fords treat him like he's back. New GM makes the call

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
On #Bama coach Nick Saban: #Colts may join a LONG list of places that have tried to hire him — pro & college. He always says no. We'll see.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Assuming #Colts part ways with Chuck Pagano, they'll think big on coaches. Expected to make Nick Saban & Sean Payton say no before moving on

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2h2 hours ago
Black Monday began a few months ago, sadly. What's to come across the NFL for coaches and GM: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25435364/at-least-six-coaching-changes-will-be-made-by-teams-this-week …

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3h3 hours ago
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson expected to be a leading candidate for Philadelphia HC job, per sources. Pederson coached in Philly from 2009-12.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Coaching searches could go faster than year's past. Many potential hot candidates - Gase, Marrone, Pagano, Payton, Austin - not in playoffs

pbmax
01-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Rivers McCown ‏@riversmccown 19m19 minutes ago
Guy I'm surprised isn't getting more HC buzz: Bills OC Greg Roman. Built competent pass offenses around Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 10:27 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7m7 minutes ago
Plugged-in source just said to keep an eye on Chip Kelly to the Browns.

Guiness
01-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Chip Kelly to the Browns would be an awful decision, especially if Farmer is turfed along with Pettine and Kelly gets full control. There is no foundation there, he will spin his wheels for a couple of years frustrating everyone, from ownership to fans to himself. And two years from now Haslam will blow it all up again :bang:

mraynrand
01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Chip Kelly to the Browns would be an awful decision, especially if Farmer is turfed along with Pettine and Kelly gets full control. There is no foundation there, he will spin his wheels for a couple of years frustrating everyone, from ownership to fans to himself. And two years from now Haslam will blow it all up again :bang:

If you're right, then this is exactly the move the Browns will make.

The only hope for the Browns is if Haslam learns his lesson, hires a competent GM, and stays away from football operations. Eliot Wolf will only work there if he demands total control - but Haslam probably will still hold the checkbook over his head.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
San Fran also possibly interested in Chip. Reminds me of Pete Carroll's first go around in the NFL. All these leaks are from coach's agents looking to move up (or get re-hired) and publicly airing their preferred destinations to help convince owners to dump the current coach.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 14m14 minutes ago
49ers thinking on Jim Tomsula began to change midweek with firing of Chip Kelly in Philly. Kelly under strong consideration in San Fran...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 13m13 minutes ago
Adam Gase will have tough decision where to take his first interview. CLE, MIA, PHI all have serious interest...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 14m14 minutes ago
If the #49ers make a move, worth noting: Last year, a person close to Sean Payton made it known he'd consider the SF job if he was free.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 13m13 minutes ago
Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was very high on Gase and Marrone two years ago. Still is. Can he land one this time around?

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 12m12 minutes ago
If Tom Coughlin does retire as many expect, Sea Payton would be very interested. Not sure I see Giants trading for a coach, but strong ties

pbmax
01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Mike loves the 49ers

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 3m3 minutes ago
Among those who have reached out to express interest in a potential 49ers opening: Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan. Others to come...

mraynrand
01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Please SF, hire Shanny.

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Mike loves the 49ers

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 3m3 minutes ago
Among those who have reached out to express interest in a potential 49ers opening: Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan. Others to come...

There were reports last week of another Mike interested in the 49ers job.... He's won a Super Bowl. And lost a couple.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 02:19 PM
There were reports last week of another Mike interested in the 49ers job.... He's won a Super Bowl. And lost a couple.

Yep. Someone else mentioned that he is still wet regarded locally even if his national profile seems to have waned. Nothing specific though.

Guiness
01-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Yep. Someone else mentioned that he is still wet regarded locally even if his national profile seems to have waned. Nothing specific though.

He did not badly in Seattle, did get them a SB bearth. Cleveland was a train wreck, but then again, so is everyone that goes there. Did he really screw it up, or did the new owner get trigger happy and not give him time to get things going in the right direction?

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 04:16 PM
He did not badly in Seattle, did get them a SB bearth. Cleveland was a train wreck, but then again, so is everyone that goes there. Did he really screw it up, or did the new owner get trigger happy and not give him time to get things going in the right direction?

He's proven he's a good coach and a bad GM. He had 2 1st round picks in 2012 and took Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden.

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Ray Farmer fired in Cleveland.

mraynrand
01-03-2016, 05:38 PM
He's proven he's a good coach and a bad GM. He had 2 1st round picks in 2012 and took Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden.

This. Holmgren as GM is like Kirk as an Admiral. Sometimes you need the wisdom to stay with your strengths and not get an inflated head.

Rastak
01-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Pettine just got shitcanned along with Farmer.

Bretsky
01-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Maybe that would be for the best. The Wolf/Thompson train maybe has run its course or run off the tracks or whatever in Green Bay. I am about ready to consider a whole different philosophy of team building - something beyond getting lucky with a superstar QB then just letting everything else slide as the team wins moderately but does not maximize things.

I would argue that is a Thompson thing

Joemailman
01-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Pettine just got shitcanned along with Farmer.

Still the Factory Of Sadness.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Jim Polzin ‏@JimPolzinWSJ 19m19 minutes ago
Maybe the Browns will give Gary Andersen a call again. Or maybe not after that 2-10 debut season in Corvallis.

King Friday
01-03-2016, 06:42 PM

Plugged in source is an idiot. There is no way in hell Chip Kelly and his massive ego would go to Cleveland, which has been a doormat for ages.

King Friday
01-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Still the Factory Of Sadness.

Biggest problem in Cleveland is the owner...same as Dallas. You aren't going to win with a megalomaniac in the owner's box.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Cleveland Browns @Browns
Jimmy Haslam will address the media at 8:00pm. Live stream on http://clevelandbrowns.com .

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m5 minutes ago
Browns owner Jimmy Haslam could announce a restructured front office soon. Strong internal support for chief counsel Sashi Brown to be GM...

???????????

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 33m33 minutes ago
Last time a non-Browns HC was fired in the AFC North was Brian Billick on Dec. 31, 2007. Since then, Browns have fired 5 HCs, incl Pettine.

pbmax
01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Well, its the germ of an idea:

@TomPelissero Tom Pelissero Retweeted Mary Kay Cabot
So methodical search process begins for coach and GM who want to work under attorney with analytics background.

And then it dies:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 4m4 minutes ago
Haslam on Sashi Brown: "He will have the ultimate say on the roster." So the "GM" will not decide who's on the team or who the coach is.

Maybe a right triangle of power?

Rastak
01-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Tomsula shitcanned by the 49ers......

pbmax
01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 7h7 hours ago
Browns ended their season by:
*Losing to Steelers in Week 17
*Firing their head coach

in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015.

pbmax
01-04-2016, 10:12 AM
From what I am told, the potential price placed by the #Saints on Sean Payton is a 2nd rounder… That's what it'll take to pry him.

mraynrand
01-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 7h7 hours ago
Browns ended their season by:
*Losing to Steelers in Week 17
*Firing their head coach

in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015.

I think most of those years they also started their third string QB.

Gradkowski (3) in 2008, McCoy (2) in 2010, Thaddeus Lewis (3) in 2012, Jason Campbell (3) in 2013, and Austin Davis (3) in 2015

Outscored 144-46

pbmax
01-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala 33m33 minutes ago
Joe Thomas says there was nothing different or new in what owner Jimmy Haslam said to team today re coaching search. "Boilerplate" his word.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 7m7 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Waiting for a report where someone on the #Browns just says, "Um, yeah, I was secretly working for the #Steelers the whole time."

WASNT HASLAM A FRIEND OF THE ROONEYS?

pbmax
01-04-2016, 11:10 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 23m23 minutes ago
Dolphins announce Chris Grier is new General Manager http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Xhm

pbmax
01-04-2016, 11:49 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 30m30 minutes ago
Titans announce G.M. Ruston Webster is out, and that Steve Underwood will be the permanent president/CEO.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago
#Titans will have a GM search. If they decide to follow in #Dolphins footsteps, they could promote college scouting dir Blake Beddingfield.

Owners must hate handing all football authority over to a GM. The new trend is to have someone above the GM, reporting back to the owner. and its not just the business side, this person often helps select the GM. Dolphins just did it, Titans doing it, Browns doing it.

pbmax
01-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 3m3 minutes ago
Mike McCoy remains Chargers head coach. Substantial changes coming elsewhere on staff as early as today: http://bit.ly/1R7qpZ7

pbmax
01-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Coughlin OUT!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
Sounds like former #Giants coach Tom Coughlin is informing his staff now of the collective decision for him to no longer be coach.

Freak Out
01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Coughlin OUT!

Sounds like former #Giants coach Tom Coughlin is informing his staff now of the collective decision for him to no longer be coach.

Wow.

Cheesehead Craig
01-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Coughlin OUT!

I think Coughlin and the Giants need a fresh start. I thought that maybe Coughlin could go be an OC somewhere, but he's 69 and I wonder how much he has left in the tank. May just call it a career.

Fritz
01-04-2016, 05:31 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 30m30 minutes ago
Titans announce G.M. Ruston Webster is out, and that Steve Underwood will be the permanent president/CEO.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago
#Titans will have a GM search. If they decide to follow in #Dolphins footsteps, they could promote college scouting dir Blake Beddingfield.

Owners must hate handing all football authority over to a GM. The new trend is to have someone above the GM, reporting back to the owner. and its not just the business side, this person often helps select the GM. Dolphins just did it, Titans doing it, Browns doing it.

To me, this is a recipe for disaster.

Joemailman
01-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Now everybody will be doing it, because why wouldn't you want to emulate Dolphins, Titans and Browns?

Fritz
01-04-2016, 05:50 PM
In Detroit, word is that the new yet-unhired GM will decide Caldwell's future, but that, uh, Martha Ford really likes Caldwell. That would seem to me to possibly scare off son potential candidates.

pbmax
01-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Dan Daly ‏@dandalyonsports 5m5 minutes ago
The #49ers hiring Mike Shanahan as their next coach would be like the #RedSox sending up Ted Williams' head as a pinch hitter. #NFL

I think he is saying Shanahan is essentially headless.

mraynrand
01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
^^^ I think he is referring to the very carefully treated and chemically preserved corpus of Mike Shannahan.

George Cumby
01-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Well tanned corpse

Joemailman
01-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Pagano staying in Indy.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 12:00 AM
^^^ I think he is referring to the very carefully treated and chemically preserved corpus of Mike Shannahan.

Both work so well I now doubt he meant either. And its probably not a Futurama reference either.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Cold blooded.

Tom James ‏@TribStarTJames 10m10 minutes ago
According to an NFL source, the Colts were negotiating with Sean Payton reps while Pagano talks were also happening. Talks broke down.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
The memory has faded. The bitter pain has passed. Many fans now behave like every other fan base looking for a quick, "one change" quick fix.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 28m28 minutes ago
Unless we win a Superbowl it should be the End of the Mc Carthy era! We as fans deserve better than this!!

Fritz
01-05-2016, 08:46 AM
The memory has faded. The bitter pain has passed. Many fans now behave like every other fan base looking for a quick, "one change" quick fix.

Unless we win a Superbowl it should be the End of the Mc Carthy era! We as fans deserve better than this!!

Where the hell does this sense of entitlement come from? Why do Green Bay fans "deserve" better?

Complete idiocy.

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I wonder if it occurs to a lot of people that the average NFL team wins the Super Bowl once every 32 years. The Packers have won 2 in 20. So that's 3 times better than the average. Only New England has won more. Packers have made the playoffs 15 out of 20 years, which is double the average. Not that we should be satisfied with just making the playoffs, but anyone with a little perspective would understand that the Packers are one of the premier organizations in the NFL.

If either TT or MM were fired, they wouldn't be employed very long.

Teamcheez1
01-05-2016, 09:14 AM

This team will have more issues than ever as this season closes out. I'm not willing to throw the towel in on MM yet, but the in the NFL, the arrow is either pointing "up or down" for every team. If we take a step backwards next year, or might I say limp into the playoffs as a marginal wild card team, something needs to change at the top of this organization.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 09:21 AM

A good coach will win the Superbowl every year. We do not have a good coach.

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
If there is going to be a shakeup in Green Bay, it will be with the offensive coaching staff. MM gave Clements, Bennett and Van Pelt added responsibilities, and the result was a disaster.

ThunderDan
01-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I wonder if it occurs to a lot of people that the average NFL team wins the Super Bowl once every 32 years. The Packers have won 2 in 20. So that's 3 times better than the average. Only New England has won more. Packers have made the playoffs 15 out of 20 years, which is double the average. Not that we should be satisfied with just making the playoffs, but anyone with a little perspective would understand that the Packers are one of the premier organizations in the NFL.

I think you mean unemployed very long.

Patler
01-05-2016, 10:00 AM
A good coach will win the Superbowl every year. We do not have a good coach.

Agreed, just look at all the Super Bowls Bilicheat has won since MM took over in GB.

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 10:04 AM
I think you mean unemployed very long.

Oh yeah. :oops:

hoosier
01-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Three model franchises, too.

Patler
01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
If there is going to be a shakeup in Green Bay, it will be with the offensive coaching staff. MM gave Clements, Bennett and Van Pelt added responsibilities, and the result was a disaster.

So what does he do in response? Should he leave EB as OC, and Clements in some Assistant Head Coach-Offense capacity, while hiring a new WR coach? He can't go back to what was in 2014. Will Clements leave or be let go? How about EB? Will Van Pelt sulk if the WRs are taken away from him?

Administratively, MM could have a bit of a mess on his hands, depending on how a few individuals respond to changes that may be needed.

hoosier
01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

I don't disagree with any of this. The one thing that concerns me a little about MM's tenure is that we have seen unexpected collapses in the last two seasons. Last year's was devastating, and I think MM deserves some credit for the team's quick start after such a horrific end to 2014. But the team that came out of the bye week is nothing like the team that went 6-0 to start the season. The inability to adapt to the new opposing defensive strategies after the Denver game is both puzzling and troubling.

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 10:17 AM
So what does he do in response? Should he leave EB as OC, and Clements in some Assistant Head Coach-Offense capacity, while hiring a new WR coach? He can't go back to what was in 2014. Will Clements leave or be let go? How about EB? Will Van Pelt sulk if the WRs are taken away from him?

Administratively, MM could have a bit of a mess on his hands, depending on how a few individuals respond to changes that may be needed.

I think he has 2 choices. Leave it alone and hope next year, with hopefully a better WR situation, is better. Or, start over with an entirely new staff as he did with the defense following 2008.

Patler
01-05-2016, 10:40 AM
I think he has 2 choices. Leave it alone and hope next year, with hopefully a better WR situation, is better. Or, start over with an entirely new staff as he did with the defense following 2008.

Can he dump an entire staff that coached an offense to set team records in 2014 and lead the league in scoring?

I think there are two overriding issues:

1. How culpable is EB for the overall dysfunction on offense? Did he bump his head against his coaching ceiling? Do you remove EB from the OC position? If so, do you fill it with Clements, or hire someone else, like Philbin? Would EB accept a demotion, perhaps back to coaching WRs, or do you need to let him go?

2. If MM intends to continue play calling, what does he do with Clements? This may also depend on the handling of #1.

Do you keep them all, and just reshuffle the deck again? Clements as OC-Passing game, and EB as OC-Running game, then hire a WR coach?

pbmax
01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't disagree with any of this. The one thing that concerns me a little about MM's tenure is that we have seen unexpected collapses in the last two seasons. Last year's was devastating, and I think MM deserves some credit for the team's quick start after such a horrific end to 2014. But the team that came out of the bye week is nothing like the team that went 6-0 to start the season. The inability to adapt to the new opposing defensive strategies after the Denver game is both puzzling and troubling.

We have covered the Seahawks collapse to death and I do think that his 4 minute mindset hurt the team in that game beyond the five fluke plays.

But I think you can overcome that conservative approach. I am much more worried about the offense stagnating. The problem with man coverage has been around for several years now. Since 2011, if you have man corners and can play press with 4 or five man pressure, you can really slow down this offense.

Of course, you can say that about a lot of offenses however the Packers seem particularly susceptible.

Fritz
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Can he dump an entire staff that coached an offense to set team records in 2014 and lead the league in scoring?

I think there are two overriding issues:

1. How culpable is EB for the overall dysfunction on offense? Did he bump his head against his coaching ceiling? Do you remove EB from the OC position? If so, do you fill it with Clements, or hire someone else, like Philbin? Would EB accept a demotion, perhaps back to coaching WRs, or do you need to let him go?

2. If MM intends to continue play calling, what does he do with Clements? This may also depend on the handling of #1.

Do you keep them all, and just reshuffle the deck again? Clements as OC-Passing game, and EB as OC-Running game, then hire a WR coach?

Hasn't GB said no in the past to teams who wanted to interview some of these coaches? Maybe it's time to not only say yes, but to encourage these coaches' agents to expand their clients' career horizons.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Hasn't GB said no in the past to teams who wanted to interview some of these coaches? Maybe it's time to not only say yes, but to encourage these coaches' agents to expand their clients' career horizons.

They turned Chicago down when they wanted to interview Clements and I think they held up McAdoo at least once, though he has since left.

Patler
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM

After an offensive collapse in 2015, I'm not sure any of them will be at the top of anyone's list. Would anyone hire Clements to be OC and call plays? EB has to prove himself as an OC before anyone will hire him as their OC, or as anything similar.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
Oh man. RT @Joelsherman1: I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Browns as exec VP, answerable only to team owner/pres”

Baseball personnel guy and numbers guy in the NFL.

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 17m17 minutes ago
My previous tweet was not a joke. Jimmy Haslam offered Mark Shapiro top level job last summer, per source. Shapiro declined.

And not the first attempt, apparently.

Fritz
01-05-2016, 11:12 AM
After an offensive collapse in 2015, I'm not sure any of them will be at the top of anyone's list. Would anyone hire Clements to be OC and call plays? EB has to prove himself as an OC before anyone will hire him as their OC, or as anything similar.

Easily solved. You have MM announce that he is utterly responsible for the offensive collapse, micromanaging his offensive coaches all year long. Then he announces he doesn't want any of them to leave and they're all getting raises.

And suddenly they'd be hot properties again.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
The #Jaguars have fired defensive coordinator Bob Babich, just hours after GM Dave Caldwell said to expect D changes

Gus Bradley hangs on to his job, its just gonna cost him some friends and reputation.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Sean Payton staying in New Orleans. They couldn't find a taker for a #2 pick.

Is it just the pick or are people not that high on Payton anymore?

Badgerinmaine
01-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Sean Payton staying in New Orleans. They couldn't find a taker for a #2 pick.

Is it just the pick or are people not that high on Payton anymore?

Between Bountygate a few years ago and the last two seasons being pretty weak, I can see why.

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Payton will be gone in about 2 seasons max. That team is turning into a dumpster fire.

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Lovie Smith fired by Tampa Bay. Didn't see that coming.

He'll be a DC somewhere.

KYPack
01-06-2016, 10:02 PM

He'll be a DC somewhere.

Yeah, a small surprise.

There is something Marty Schottenheimer-esque about Lovie.

He gets your club hard nosed and all business, but they don't win, they just lose prettier.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Yeah, a small surprise.

There is something Marty Schottenheimer-esque about Lovie.

He gets your club hard nosed and all business, but they don't win, they just lose prettier.

without looking it up, I would bet it has something to do with a defensive-minded coach not connecting with Winston. Maybe there was a rift between them. :)

pbmax
01-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 30m30 minutes ago
#Buccaneers fired coach Lovie Smith tonight after an 8-24 record in two seasons.

25%

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 27m27 minutes ago
Buccaneers defense
2013 (Schiano) - 8th in DVOA, 24th Pts/Dr
2014 (Lovie) - 18th in DVOA, 27th Pts/Dr
2015 - 18th in DVOA, 31st Pts/Dr

GOING BACKWARD. WORSE THAN SCHIANO IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE.

woodbuck27
01-06-2016, 10:14 PM

He'll be a DC somewhere.

WOW...that's a surprize to me.

pbmax
01-07-2016, 08:56 PM
This is what you get when the Quarterback in actually in charge of the team:

Bucs reportedly started to consider firing Lovie when the Dolphins asked permission to hire their OC, Dirk Cotter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/report-dolphins-interest-in-koetter-led-bucs-to-make-a-change/

esoxx
01-07-2016, 09:28 PM
This is what you get when the Quarterback in actually in charge of the team:

Bucs reportedly started to consider firing Lovie when the Dolphins asked permission to hire their OC, Dirk Koetter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/report-dolphins-interest-in-koetter-led-bucs-to-make-a-change/

Tampa Bay says...Welcome Back Koetter.

Joemailman
01-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Lions to hire Patriots Director Of Pro Scouting Bob Quinn as GM. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000619585/article/detroit-lions-to-hire-bob-quinn-as-general-manager

Fritz
01-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Uh oh. The Lions not just promoting the interim guy?

This could be a momentous moment for that franchise. All it took was for William Clay to die and let his wife take over.

Guiness
01-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Is anyone else surprised Tom Coughlin might not be finished? I really thought he had decided to ride off into the sunset, as opposed to being run out of town.

Something else that confuses me is that the 49ers apparently needed to ask permission to talk to him? He's still under a contract of some sort?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/surprise-49ers-receive-permission-to-interview-tom-coughlin/

Patler
01-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Is anyone else surprised Tom Coughlin might not be finished? I really thought he had decided to ride off into the sunset, as opposed to being run out of town.

Something else that confuses me is that the 49ers apparently needed to ask permission to talk to him? He's still under a contract of some sort?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/surprise-49ers-receive-permission-to-interview-tom-coughlin/

I was surprised.

mraynrand
01-12-2016, 12:07 PM

I thought he resigned and was not fired, so NY still has his rights. ??

Joemailman
01-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Browns to hire Bengals OC Hue Jackson as HC. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621189/article/cleveland-browns-hiring-hue-jackson-as-head-coach

pbmax
01-13-2016, 01:59 PM

They wanted him out, he didn't necessarily want to leave. Since the team was more motivated than the coach, I am sure they agreed to pay some amount of his salary in return for him to maintain non-disclosure and the recover compensation if he did find a job elsewhere.

esoxx
01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Browns to hire Bengals OC Hue Jackson as HC. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621189/article/cleveland-browns-hiring-hue-jackson-as-head-coach

I'm just wondering why they haven't fired Marvin Lewis yet. Time to go after that travesty last Saturdy night.

Joemailman
01-13-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm just wondering why they haven't fired Marvin Lewis yet. Time to go after that travesty last Saturdy night.

He's been the coach for 13 years without a playoff win, so I'm not sure what it would take to get him fired. Not sure another wild card loss would do it.

pbmax
01-13-2016, 05:44 PM
The usual answer with Mike Brown is that it costs money.

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Hugh Jackson ...I give him full marks for his positive attitude ...his confidence, enthusiasm and sincerety.

He's certainly going to be welcome in Cleveland ahh hem......as their third HC in 4 years.

The HC of the Cleveland BROWNS...Browns...Browns...Browns.

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 06:08 PM
He's been the coach for 13 years without a playoff win, so I'm not sure what it would take to get him fired. Not sure another wild card loss would do it.

I think Marvin Lewis will be offered a job in their Front Office.

He'll be a Bengal for life within an organization that seems to have a good deal of compassion as a positive seeking more organizational trait.

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 06:25 PM

Yes.

Last week I was thinking of Tom Coughlin. I enjoy his work ethic and sporit to fight fight fight.

I'm happy now for MM and TT that we saw the Packers handle the Washington Redskins.

I more than not felt with the proper MM game plan we would come away from Washington to prepare for Arizona.

I also had this thought.

I wondered what a combination of Tom Coughlin as Packer HC and TT as GM would work in Green Bay?

It was just a thought.and .....all the same, Packer Nation has this to cheer for:

TT and MM and the entire Green Bay Packer team and organization.

Have a growing faith that the Packers will step up and contradict with positive results the expert opinions the Packers will be defeated in Arizona.

believe...Believe !...... BELIEVE !! REALLY BELIEVE THAT:

THE ...GREEN BAY PACKERS will vie for the NFC Championship.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Former Packer Coach... Ben McAdoo is now the NY GIANTS new Head Coach at 38 years of age..

Joemailman
01-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Ben McAdoo will be Giants new HC. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/13/new-york-giants-hire-ben-mcadoo-head-coach-contract-tom-coughlin-replacementhttp://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/13/new-york-giants-hire-ben-mcadoo-head-coach-contract-tom-coughlin-replacement

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Ben McAdoo will be Giants new HC. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/13/new-york-giants-hire-ben-mcadoo-head-coach-contract-tom-coughlin-replacementhttp://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/13/new-york-giants-hire-ben-mcadoo-head-coach-contract-tom-coughlin-replacement

Close ....................but............ 'no cigar' Joe. :glug:

It should be noted that the Philadelphia Eagles extreme interest in Ben McAdoo is being recognized as a spur to the Giants to get it done and ink Ben McAdoo as their new HC.

Ben McAdoo was noticed around the NFL and his future as a HC was assured. It was then prudent that the New York Giants got busy or lose Ben McAdoo. He'll be coaching with his own coaching staff and with a very solid QB and offense. He'll ensure that the GIANTS make the adjustments on the defensive side of the ball as necessary.

The GIANTS lost a lot of close games this season....look at that teams 'D' and defensive calls that just went south late in games.

It won't be long before the GIANTS are back in the Playoff hunt.

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
01-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Joe Philbin is going to be the Giants OC. So no Packers return for him.

Patler
01-14-2016, 09:46 AM
It will be interesting to see if McAdoo turns out to be as good as people have thought he might be ever since he hit the NFL. They talked of him being HC material when he was coaching tight ends for the Packers and had only been in the NFL a couple years.

Smidgeon
01-14-2016, 11:16 AM
It will be interesting to see if McAdoo turns out to be as good as people have thought he might be ever since he hit the NFL. They talked of him being HC material when he was coaching tight ends for the Packers and had only been in the NFL a couple years.

And depending on the skill of their GM, we'll also see how much success Packers East can have with McAdoo and Philbin.

woodbuck27
01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
It looks to me like Tom Coughlin will be celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Philly.

He's going to be there today for an interview.

The color of their Uni fits.

pbmax
01-14-2016, 12:36 PM
^Nope

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 37m37 minutes ago
Tom Coughlin pulls out of Eagles search http://wp.me/p14QSB-9XQz

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 18m18 minutes ago
Giants expected to promote QB coach Mike Sullivan to offensive coordinator, sources say. Joe Philbin to have a different title (Asst HC?).

woodbuck27
01-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Chip Kelly is the new HC for the San Fran 49ers.

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Chip Kelly is the new HC for the San Fran 49ers.

Here's hoping Chip keeps up his roster mismanagement and trades us NaVorro Bowman for a song.

woodbuck27
01-14-2016, 01:06 PM
^Nope

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 37m37 minutes ago
Tom Coughlin pulls out of Eagles search http://wp.me/p14QSB-9XQz

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 18m18 minutes ago
Giants expected to promote QB coach Mike Sullivan to offensive coordinator, sources say. Joe Philbin to have a different title (Asst HC?).

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/330360/eagles-meeting-with-tom-coughlin-Thursday

RE: Tom Coughlin and Chip Kelly.

OK the NEW YORK gubs wujj `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````

Smidgeon
01-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Giants and Bucs both promoted their offensive coordinators to head coach (pending official announcement in Tampa). With the Eagles promoting one of their former coaches too (pending official announcement in Philly) albeit on a three years later, it makes for a weird coaching cycle. I can't remember even one former circumstance in the modern cycle where ownership preferred a coordinator to the head coach.

Usually when the head coach goes, the entire staff goes. But this time, in two cases there's a direct promotion, and in the Eagle's case, they're simply going back to the previous regime and promoting someone.

Weird hiring season.

pbmax
01-14-2016, 05:42 PM
The Brett Favre coaching tree grows:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 35m35 minutes ago
The Eagles intend to hire Chiefs OC Doug Pederson as their next head coach. Pederson cannot officially be hired until KC season over...

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2016, 08:25 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/330360/eagles-meeting-with-tom-coughlin-Thursday

RE: Tom Coughlin and Chip Kelly.

OK the NEW YORK gubs wujj `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````

So, what does that last line mean?

pbmax
01-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 22m22 minutes ago
The #Lions announce that Jim Caldwell is staying as head coach. Officially now just one opening left.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
Big piece of Jim Caldwell staying with #Lions: It means coveted offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter will stay with him. Huge for Stafford

AS FUNNY AS IT IS TO SAY, HE DID SEEM TO HAVE A POSITIVE EFFECT ON THEIR OFFENSE

mraynrand
01-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 22m22 minutes ago
The #Lions announce that Jim Caldwell is staying as head coach. Officially now just one opening left.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
Big piece of Jim Caldwell staying with #Lions: It means coveted offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter will stay with him. Huge for Stafford

AS FUNNY AS IT IS TO SAY, HE DID SEEM TO HAVE A POSITIVE EFFECT ON THEIR OFFENSE

He could always make anything run - for a while.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dukes-of-hazzard/images/3/39/Cooter_(Ben_Jones).png/revision/latest?cb=20110410153803

pbmax
01-15-2016, 09:24 AM
He could always make anything run - for a while.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dukes-of-hazzard/images/3/39/Cooter_(Ben_Jones).png/revision/latest?cb=20110410153803

The mechanic paradox: don't fix it TOO good.

mraynrand
01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Looks like 2016 is the year of the QB guru.

George Cumby
01-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Shit Kelly and the Niners. LMFAO.

Patler
01-15-2016, 10:46 AM
The Brett Favre coaching tree grows:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 35m35 minutes ago
The Eagles intend to hire Chiefs OC Doug Pederson as their next head coach. Pederson cannot officially be hired until KC season over...

The Packer organization continues to spread its seed throughout the GM and HC ranks of the NFL.

mraynrand
01-15-2016, 11:47 AM
The Packer organization continues to spread its seed throughout the GM and HC ranks of the NFL.

They're like Antonio Cromartie out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnWefHZYAI

Freak Out
01-15-2016, 11:55 AM
LOL. Speaking of which.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/cromartie-expecting-twins-jets-corner-vasectomy-article-1.2494833

Smidgeon
01-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Philbin to the Colts, not to the Giants. Coaching the o-line. Either a heckuva sell, or the Giants job wasn't actually in play.

Cheesehead Craig
01-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Shit Kelly and the Niners. LMFAO.
I gotta admit, I didn't see him getting a job this year.

woodbuck27
01-15-2016, 07:11 PM
So, what does that last line mean?

Ojjh my gosh...I don't know. I'm nearly dying here from belly laughing. I believe that:

The BEST laughs are when you cultivate the ability to laugh at oneself. I laugh a lot yet.....my goodness I target that and me too often Cheesehead Craig. :lol: X 'a bunch'.

I just discovered that post myself.

Truthfully I've been playing some serious Texas Holdem' online at Poker Canada and got too sleep deprived.

It looks like I dozed of attempting that post.....somehow I submitted it after leaning on a keyboard key and failed to edit.

hahahahahahahahahaa.

Now I'm not really sure why? Tom Coughlin suddenly dismissed Philly as an career extending destination but I think it had to do with him desiring to choose his own coaching staff and Philly management desiring him but maintaining certain pieces of the existing coaching staff.

Tom wasn't impressed. He's described as too often a man that speaks his mind in harsh tones. Translation he expects a lot.

He can be very tough in his manners of criticism and motivation. In other words abrasive. Heck.... he's an Irish American. That (harsh loud criticism) might be considered a given when it comes to players screwing up at inopportune times. These players are paid handsomely and that their adults and not boys and criticism should be part of the package and playing Pro Sports especially in a market such as New York.

Today I was impressed with Bob McAdoo's Press Conference on the NFL Network. Fourteen years ago he was an assistant coach for a High School Football Program. He's about player and assistant coach having input to help him form strategies. Therefore BIG on communication. He gave major credit to people in the Packer organization ie Brett Favre and Mike McCarthy for his learning curve and thus present status as the Head Coach of a historic franchise in the largest market in the NFL.

Bob McAdoo will have Bill Philbin on his staff in a position and title left yet to be determined.

Bob McAdoo rose faster than the head of a Guiness on tap.

He's young and I'm sure the members of Packerrats will be on the Bob McAdoo watch.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 10:52 AM
http://blog.packers.com/2016/01/19/former-packers-qb-doug-pederson-named-eagles-head-coach/

Former Packers QB Doug Pederson named Eagles head coach

Posted by Mike Spofford on January 19, 2016 – 9:36 am