PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Week

pbmax
12-28-2015, 02:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXR25APWwAAv4VZ.jpg:large

Joemailman
12-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Packers -3.

That may change if it looks like Bulaga and/or Bakhtiari will be out.

pbmax
12-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Pretty generic spread. Pick 'em game with home field advantage.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 06:33 AM
It would be a fitting though humiliating end to the season if the Packers lost at home to the Vikes, then went on the road and lost to the Skins.

Of course I am rooting for the Packers, but it feels, at least, as if a win on Sunday will only be a mirage, especially since, if they do win, it will most likely be of the 16-13 variety and mean the offense continues to suck.

hoosier
12-29-2015, 08:31 AM
It would be a fitting though humiliating end to the season if the Packers lost at home to the Vikes, then went on the road and lost to the Skins.

Of course I am rooting for the Packers, but it feels, at least, as if a win on Sunday will only be a mirage, especially since, if they do win, it will most likely be of the 16-13 variety and mean the offense continues to suck.

Part of me is almost hoping for that end, not because I want anyone to get humiliated but because there would be no way of sugar coating it. There is something rotten in the state of the Packers, and the sooner people are forced to confront it head on, the better. Let not the royal bed be.

Fritz
12-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Part of me is almost hoping for that end, not because I want anyone to get humiliated but because there would be no way of sugar coating it. There is something rotten in the state of the Packers, and the sooner people are forced to confront it head on, the better. Let not the royal bed be.

Like I've said, I couldn't tell there for a while whether this was a team getting tough and ready for a run, or just a dysfunctional team. I am very much leaning to the latter, and now tend to agree with you. There is something rotten - MM's body language is as bad as Rodgers'. There's a lot of frustration and lots of very-thinly-veiled annoyance going on.

It's more than personnel, more than scheme. MM is pulling the same ol' "I like the character of this team" junk, but this year it sounds like a load of stinking dog crap.

This don't look like no band of brothers to me.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Pack will lose this week to MN. I don't like typing that, but that's my belief. Just too much going wrong.

MadtownPacker
12-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Are we suppose to bust out the pitchforks and torches?

Fritz
12-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Unless they win this week and the offense shows a spark of life. Then we're supposed to become optimistic and pretend we never wrote any of this shit, unless they then lose the first playoff game. Then we hurry to declare we knew it all along.

Man, you run this thing, but you don't even know how it works?

denverYooper
12-29-2015, 09:29 PM
I for one am getting on board the Super Bowl express starting this week.

You can get on board now while the tickets are cheap.

Choo choo motherfuckers.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 08:31 AM
I for one am getting on board the Super Bowl express starting this week.

You can get on board now while the tickets are cheap.

Choo choo motherfuckers.

I'm there

http://www.coastercommunity.com/photos/var/albums/Parks/valleyfair/Kiddie%20Train.jpg?m=1326315402

pbmax
12-30-2015, 11:29 AM
M3 PC Train Keeps A-Rollin' edition

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18m18 minutes ago
McCarthy said Shields and Bakhtiari should do something at practice. Will take "full week" for those two and Bulaga.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 18m18 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy said Sam Shields and David Bakhtiari are "getting better" and hope to do some work at practice today.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18m18 minutes ago
McCarthy on Bridgewater: Ascending QB. Elusive, gets ball out. Played a lot of football and can manage game at line of scrimmage.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
McCarthy on #MINvsGB: This is our opportunity to win a division championship. That's really what this is all about throughout the week.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
MM on psyche of team: Had quality prep on Monday. Further ahead than usual. "Our guys are all locked in."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
MM on Peterson: Played good Run D at Minnesota last month. Expect him to get a lot of touches. Running ball "of high importance."

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2015, 11:44 AM

It's interesting to me to consider whether players themselves, like Rodgers, get in a funk where if things don't work like they did the previous year, for whatever reason (too many injuries, not enough remaining talent, too much inexeperience) that they play worse because they press, or because they can't shake their frustrations. I'm not suggesting that anyone like Rodgers be super happy about what has happened this year, but I have to imagine you have to have a lot of mental toughness to see what has transpired with the offense this year, and see no fix forthcoming. Not being able to shake frustration, or having disagreement about how to go about fixing the issues within the building might just be leading to more frustrations.

That's the part of this that we'll never really know, but I have to figure it contributes somehow, and if the leaders can really circle the wagons and show the team that it's still right there in front of them, then they can recover what's left to be played. The fact that they have haven't been able to do it to this point is the million dollar question as to why.

If OL block long enough, if running backs read cut back lanes well enough, if receivers get open enough, if the QB has time enough, the team has a shot. It's still about execution.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
McCarthy on #MINvsGB: This is our opportunity to win a division championship. That's really what this is all about throughout the week.

Translation: someone in the McCarthy family has the t-shirt deal.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
MM on psyche of team: Had quality prep on Monday. Further ahead than usual. "Our guys are all locked in."

Except Alonzo Harris.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 12:26 PM
It's interesting to me to consider whether players themselves, like Rodgers, get in a funk where if things don't work like they did the previous year, for whatever reason (too many injuries, not enough remaining talent, too much inexeperience) that they play worse because they press, or because they can't shake their frustrations. I'm not suggesting that anyone like Rodgers be super happy about what has happened this year, but I have to imagine you have to have a lot of mental toughness to see what has transpired with the offense this year, and see no fix forthcoming. Not being able to shake frustration, or having disagreement about how to go about fixing the issues within the building might just be leading to more frustrations.

That's the part of this that we'll never really know, but I have to figure it contributes somehow, and if the leaders can really circle the wagons and show the team that it's still right there in front of them, then they can recover what's left to be played. The fact that they have haven't been able to do it to this point is the million dollar question as to why.

If OL block long enough, if running backs read cut back lanes well enough, if receivers get open enough, if the QB has time enough, the team has a shot. It's still about execution.

good post. the psychological impact of repeated failures on the offense has to weigh on these guys - including the defense.

Patler
12-30-2015, 12:31 PM
good post. the psychological impact of repeated failures on the offense has to weigh on these guys - including the defense.

One player on offense (Lang, maybe?) said the defense had to be getting pissed at the repeated offensive failures by now. Makes you wonder if things may not be as rosy in the locker room as MM would have us believe.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Execution is a mighty, all-encompassing word. Execution isn't just focusing on mechanics. To me it's a state of mind. When do we execute our duties 110%? It's when our heart and soul is in the project. Repeated losing, dissension, mistrust of tactics encourage us to make excuses for giving a less than 110% effort. On the other hand, if this team can draw on their professional roots and pull together knowing their backs are against the wall, then execution will take care of itself. McCarthy and team leaders like Arod have to make it happen.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2015, 12:39 PM
One player on offense (Lang, maybe?) said the defense had to be getting pissed at the repeated offensive failures by now. Makes you wonder if things may not be as rosy in the locker room as MM would have us believe.I speculated a while back that Stubby might be on the verge of losing the locker room. I got shouted down. Of course we can't know, but the signs are there that all is not right.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Execution is a mighty, all-encompassing word. Execution isn't just focusing on mechanics. To me it's a state of mind. When do we execute our duties 110%? It's when our heart and soul is in the project. Repeated losing, dissension, mistrust of tactics encourage us to make excuses for giving a less than 110% effort. On the other hand, if this team can draw on their professional roots and pull together knowing their backs are against the wall, then execution will take care of itself. McCarthy and team leaders like Arod have to make it happen.

110% is impossible to give.

pbmax
12-30-2015, 12:54 PM
It was Sitton. And if the D hates the offense, they need to recall their 2011-2014 versions, where the offense carried the D to the playoffs.

Rob DemovskyVerified account ‏@RobDemovsky Dec 28
Josh Sitton on the state of the Packers offense: "I'd be pissed off at us if I was on the defense." http://es.pn/1mJtu4X

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2015, 12:55 PM
110% is impossible to give.Seriously?

Patler
12-30-2015, 12:59 PM
It was Sitton. And if the D hates the offense, they need to recall their 2011-2014 versions, where the offense carried the D to the playoffs.

Well, maybe the O was just as pissed at the D back then as the D is at the O right now.

pbmax
12-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Given the different levels of success, being pissed is a good way to play football. Apologetic is a bad form.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Well, maybe the O was just as pissed at the D back then as the D is at the O right now.

payback is a bitch

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Given the different levels of success, being pissed is a good way to play football. Apologetic is a bad form.

I'm sorry
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yPWyFZEdY0s/SO9pGZaAUOI/AAAAAAAAFWI/roslFPR58ck/s400/oliverclark.jpg

pbmax
12-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4m4 minutes ago
Sam Shields returned to practice today for #Packers. Here's the video evidence: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1627780-beat-up-packers-get-back-to-work …

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
New from JS: Packers Wednesday practice report: Shields, Bulaga return, Raji out http://ift.tt/1mRYVdo #Packers

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 24m24 minutes ago
New at #Packers Insiders Blog: Shields, Bulaga practice Wednesday; Bakhtiari, Raji sit out http://pck.rs/1QZI4lv

Genaro C. Armas ‏@GArmasAP 59m59 minutes ago
#Packers practice: Shields is back, as is Jones' hoodie. No Bakhtiari, Raji. Bike work for Daniels, Neal.

CRAP CAN'T THEY JUST GET TOGETHER FOR ONE TWEET!

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
For #Packers no Bakhtiari Daniels Perillo Raji Elliott or Neal. Shields back after concussion. Potential GM candidate Eliot Wolf here too.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
Datone Jones working with defensive line in individual drills with Raji and Daniels out. Guion and Pennel only other active d-line

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
No Bakhtiari or Raji. Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, Jay Elliott and Perillo not practicing but did conditioning work

Bretsky
12-30-2015, 04:32 PM
One player on offense (Lang, maybe?) said the defense had to be getting pissed at the repeated offensive failures by now. Makes you wonder if things may not be as rosy in the locker room as MM would have us believe.

I think it was Sitton who said that Patler

ThunderDan
12-31-2015, 08:34 AM
110% is impossible to give.

Yup, that is my favorite John Wooden quote of all time.

He was being interviewed with other great coaches and Red Auerbach was asked about how he got his players to play so hard. Red answered that he demanded 110% effort from all of his players.

John Wooden answered something to the effect, "By definition 110% is impossible to give. I am happy when I can get 90% out of my players."

woodbuck27
12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Like I've said, I couldn't tell there for a while whether this was a team getting tough and ready for a run, or just a dysfunctional team. I am very much leaning to the latter, and now tend to agree with you. There is something rotten - MM's body language is as bad as Rodgers'. There's a lot of frustration and lots of very-thinly-veiled annoyance going on.

It's more than personnel, more than scheme. MM is pulling the same ol' "I like the character of this team" junk, but this year it sounds like a load of stinking dog crap.

This don't look like no band of brothers to me.

Yup....your observation are bang on.

Something has to give fast. I watched the Arizona game that I recorded.... again yesterday.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Packer team look that bad. It's just a real mess that likely won't get fixed this season.....nor ever with MM and Aaron Rodgers on the same side.

I really hope I'm wrong.

In the case that.......... I'm seeing it accurately.

Aaron Rodgers isn't going anywhere soon.

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2015, 10:37 AM
Yup, that is my favorite John Wooden quote of all time.

He was being interviewed with other great coaches and Red Auerbach was asked about how he got his players to play so hard. Red answered that he demanded 110% effort from all of his players.

John Wooden answered something to the effect, "By definition 110% is impossible to give. I am happy when I can get 90% out of my players."

Baloney. Wooden was a relativist. Auerbach was a realist. He understood metaphors. So did Lombardi. My question for Wooden is: Do you have a meter you hook on a kid's uniform to tell you when he's giving you 90% or 100%? Damn just when you think a kid is giving you all he has, he digs deeper and gives you more. Did you see the movie "Unbroken?" Louis Zamperini knew what giving 110% means (or meant, apparently).

mraynrand
12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
A realist understands metaphors?

ThunderDan
12-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Baloney. Wooden was a relativist. Auerbach was a realist. He understood metaphors. So did Lombardi. My question for Wooden is: Do you have a meter you hook on a kid's uniform to tell you when he's giving you 90% or 100%? Damn just when you think a kid is giving you all he has, he digs deeper and gives you more. Did you see the movie "Unbroken?" Louis Zamperini knew what giving 110% means (or meant, apparently).

Wooden was 664-162 as a coach and won 10 out of 12 National Championships from '64-'75. I would take that as getting the most out of your players.

Wooden asked and tracked honest feedback from his players and coaches on many levels. He held them accountable for their performances. He didn't care what the scoreboard said he was always trying to get his players to improve.

In one interview I heard, he talked about a team that won only 18 games but he was prouder of that team than his team the next season that went undefeated because he got more of the potential out of the previous team.

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2015, 11:40 AM
A realist understands metaphors?So to speak.:-)

Smidgeon
12-31-2015, 11:41 AM

Don't get too existential now... ;)

pbmax
12-31-2015, 12:40 PM
I like Wooden's approach better. Auerbach's slogans would just get tiring to me, mostly from reading them too much in the newspaper. Its like a company that has a stated goal that is fundamentally unrealistic. Have seen such pushes produce very bad initiatives and ignore concrete and quantifiable steps that would actually improve the situation. It becomes a game to out semantic the problem; the worship of attitude over results.

But let's be realistic. Each man was considered a genius because they fell into situations that took advantage of leverage others didn't (or would not allow themselves to) possess.

Wooden has a Sugar Daddy for the players when that was not policed and he played in a vastly weaker region year after year when tournaments were actually aligned by geography. While its not a crime at all, its not really admirable.

Auerbach at least had the insight (and a willing owner) to integrate the team (despite the hoary race relations in Boston proper) and that landed him a top generational player and couple of other Hall of Famers.

pbmax
12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 26m26 minutes ago
#Packers CB Sam Shields (concussion protocol) continues to add to his workload. He is in pads.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m26 minutes ago
#Packers practice: NT BJ Raji (concussion) working. Bakhtiari, Elliott, Perillo, Daniels and Neal there but just doing conditioning.

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Wooden was 664-162 as a coach and won 10 out of 12 National Championships from '64-'75. I would take that as getting the most out of your players.

Wooden asked and tracked honest feedback from his players and coaches on many levels. He held them accountable for their performances. He didn't care what the scoreboard said he was always trying to get his players to improve.

In one interview I heard, he talked about a team that won only 18 games but he was prouder of that team than his team the next season that went undefeated because he got more of the potential out of the previous team.

Wooden could coach. He was just a bit too literal for my tastes.:-)

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2015, 01:22 PM
I like Wooden's approach better. Auerbach's slogans would just get tiring to me, mostly from reading them too much in the newspaper. Its like a company that has a stated goal that is fundamentally unrealistic. Have seen such pushes produce very bad initiatives and ignore concrete and quantifiable steps that would actually improve the situation. It becomes a game to out semantic the problem; the worship of attitude over results.

Auerbach was kind of like Stubby minus the Pittsburgh dialect.

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Don't get too existential now... ;)LOL. Existential wins Super Bowls.

pbmax
12-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
Nick Perry (shoulder) dropped down to a limited participant today. Casey Hayward was bumped up to full. B.J. Raji was back in a limited role

denverYooper
12-31-2015, 05:06 PM
Auerbach was kind of like Stubby minus the Pittsburgh dialect.

So Rodgers would be able to understand him in the headset?

pbmax
01-01-2016, 02:20 PM
MM Friday PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 5h5 hours ago
MM on Lacy: Like any RB, he's beat up. Smart with his reps at practice on Thursday.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5h5 hours ago
McCarthy: We will run both Eddie (Lacy) & James (Starks) this week. #MINvsGB

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 5h5 hours ago
Mike McCarthy said both Eddie Lacy and James Starks will have normal workloads Sunday. Starks won't be benched due to fumbles.

MM says Bakhtiari will hopefully work Saturday. If not, early Sunday. Will get every chance to play vs. Vikings.

It's a one-game season, McCarthy says. The reality of being successful is high expectations.

Rastak
01-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Well, looks like Linval Joseph is gonna be out which is good news for the GB run game.

Tom Johnson and Sharrif Floyd have been pretty solid but Joseph was a one man wrecking crew when healthy this year.

hoosier
01-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Well, looks like Linval Joseph is gonna be out which is good news for the GB run game.

Tom Johnson and Sharrif Floyd have been pretty solid but Joseph was a one man wrecking crew when healthy this year.

The Packers offense has found ways to be inept against even bad defenses. Don't let the absence of your best lineman discourage you.

Rastak
01-01-2016, 07:40 PM
The Packers offense has found ways to be inept against even bad defenses. Don't let the absence of your best lineman discourage you.

You guys ran the ball pretty well last time. With Lacy dinged up it'll be harder.

MadtownPacker
01-01-2016, 07:46 PM
You're really disappointing Rastak. Keep being so damn nice and you are gonna end up like Ragnar. We need the real Viking troll back. Where is that mofo, frozen in a lake, never to be found?

pbmax
01-01-2016, 07:46 PM
MNGOLF?

MadtownPacker
01-01-2016, 07:54 PM
He was just a tease, Viking Troll was the best. Ranked on the level of Bearsfan.

Rastak
01-01-2016, 07:54 PM
MNGOLF?

MNGOLF, that was a while back.

I think there was a Bears guy on for a while too.

As I've gotten older I do not tend to talk shit like I used to. I learned I sounded like a fucking fool when all the shit I said turned out to BS.

Small example:
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27732-The-NFCN-just-gets-weaker

edit: Yea, Mad, that's the guy.

mraynrand
01-02-2016, 01:25 AM
He was just a tease, Viking Troll was the best. Ranked on the level of Bearsfan.

Those guys are gone. They discovered Twitter, which allows 80 characters more than their collective vocabulary.

pbmax
01-02-2016, 09:18 AM
MNGolf was very a very reasonable and funny person. But then, if your golf on Tundra, you have to have a sense of humor.

pbmax
01-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Bad news on Sammy Shields, his head is still ringing.

Team announces updates following Saturday practice

Packers LB Mike Neal (hip) and DT B.J. Raji (concussion) have been upgraded to PROBABLE. Packers CB Sam Shields (concussion) has been downgraded to DOUBTFUL for tomorrow’s game against the Vikings.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-upgrade-two-downgrade-one-for-Vikings-game/605fa002-c013-40b2-8120-5a2af976dbd2#ixzz3w72124wL

Joemailman
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
That has to be a pretty severe concussion. Unusual for a guy to miss this many games.

mraynrand
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
That has to be a pretty severe concussion. Unusual for a guy to miss this many games.

I was worried it was Joe Haden-like. They may end up shutting him down for the year. But that's just two more games anyway. :)

pbmax
01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Eh, distinction without a difference.

Pugger
01-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Those guys are gone. They discovered Twitter, which allows 80 characters more than their collective vocabulary.

:lol:

pbmax
01-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Tim Masthay and the punting unit are close to breaking the team Net Punt average by a substantial margin (can't access story right now to get exact number).

I have thought Masthay is having a poor year. This has to be a victory for coverage, no? Or at least, hang time?

He has been kicking directionally more, I will give him that.

woodbuck27
01-03-2016, 03:33 AM
In a decade...I don't think I've seen Packerats so.... matter of fact and giving up on a season..

Damn. It's another game ...another week. We weren't that good last time we won the Super Bowl. Was that just a fluke or did I see it right because I felt momentum built up every single week from the end of the season to the BIG GAME. Great Team>>>Really GOOD TEAM>>>> Fluky Team? >>>It doesn't matter .....just win !

Now do I believe we'll defeat the Vikings tomorrow evening on Week 17 SNF? It's too close to really call with a lot of confidence.I just know that it's tough to win on the road. It's very tough to win at Lambeau Field and.... if it gets to that's NOT the case. Then MM has to go along with some of his coaches.

MM is too slow RE: Making a proper decision. Recall our last ST's Coach. He was dreadful and MM loved him for far ....far .................Far way too long. What's he doing now besides spending money that the Packers primarily wasted on him?

In the letting MM go prospect. There's another problem.

TT is slower.

I PERSONALLY WILL BE GLAD WHEN THIS SEASON AND PACKERS ENDS. iT'S BEEN AWFUL

Nest season will be>>> AWFUL>>> REASON >>> TT and MM.

ARod still gets to pass GO and collect too much $$$$ Money $$$$.

That's the ruination of the Green Bay Packers and serious threat to win Super Bowls.

In many ways isn't it a Catch 22?

Aaron Rodgers status as a recognized TOP NFL QB and all his amazing STAT's and winning in the Regular Season and NFL MVP and a past Super Bowl winner ... all added up too .......far too much MONEY or CAP Space absorbed by him. Not enough of the pie for the 'by far'...SEE Clay Matthews III... the rest of the roster?

So;

Other players get disgruntled and the Team's morale declines and valuable assets in terms of Packer leaders on the field>>> become FA's and depart for Greener Pastures.

** TT needs a lot more CAP.

** MM has to be cooler and more on top of it all.

** Aaron Rodgers has to wipe the fricken' attitude off his face.....and just plain give errrr ! So he made a PRO BOWL...Big Deal! He gets to travel some more.

GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
01-03-2016, 08:08 AM
He has been kicking directionally more, I will give him that.

does an out of bounds shank count as a directional kick? :)

Yes, very good coverage

pbmax
01-03-2016, 09:06 AM
does an out of bounds shank count as a directional kick? :)

Technically yes, but it does not get a plus grade unless the Net meets expectations.

/progress report